• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Jackano said:
About the final boss:
I think he is very cheap. WTF Retro, I already beat this guy in Super Mario 64, Smash bros and Starfox. 3 examples just in top of my head... Plus, the rocket section just before was very unecessary!
don't forget Ocarina of Time

Socreges

Banned
so1337 said:
This is the best piece of music in the entire game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJP1GjVlDfA

Discuss.
Off the top of my head, I wouldn't disagree. Though I remember liking the music from 7-1 (factory silhouette) a lot.

Does anyone else think that the fact that Retro deliberately avoided DKC2 music and only remade DKC music indicates that they'd like to do DKCR2? Personally I'd rather them work on something else (i.e., 2.5D Metroid), but I'd still welcome another DKCR.

Who ever came up with the stupid fucking barrel rocket levels I hope you get fired.

Factory world went from "Oh wow, awesome!" to "Fuck this shit."

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
EmCeeGramr said:
And another thing: what twisted, warped creature at Retro thought of a level where
SUDDENLY MILLIONS OF BABY SPIDERS
. I'm going to have nightmares for a week.
surely those aren't spider eggs I'm bouncing off... there are spide webs eveOH MY GOD

so1337 said:
This is the best piece of music in the entire game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJP1GjVlDfA

Discuss.

This gave me chills when I heard it. Doesn't hurt that Switcheroo is one of the best levels in the game.

Music Madness is also fantastic, particularly in the way the various instrumental obstacles in the level coincide with the beat.

I also love that Donkey Kong features a remix of Bryyo - well, maybe not a remix, but it's certainly very much inspired by it.

Been playing this some more. Since getting a better handle on the controls, I'm enjoying it a lot more. The level design is really good, and the challenge, for the most part, is solid but fair.

I'm still dying to the rolling, but very very rarely. I do still wish it was a button though.

I have to say the game reminds me a lot of parts from the Mega Man series and the Wario Land for Virtual Boy. For the former, you have various moving pillars, including some that smash into each other or just run straight from left-to-right across the screen. Some of that is straight from Mega Man. Also, there's a section where various planks pop up to reveal cannons, and you're meant to jump on the planks that become platforms. This reminded me heavily of the "disappearing blocks" sections of Mega Man since you have to memorize their order as well.

Wario Land VB memories come from just how many obstacles come from the background to the foreground. Actually, this game is so beautiful that I'm glad Nintendo didn't try to quickly make this a 3DS title when they realized how much Retro was using the third dimension. The Tidal Wave level as well as some levels with rolling spiked balls are very clever. Anyway, you could certainly pick two worse games than Mega Man and Wario Land VB to draw inspiration from.

Speaking of the Tidal Wave level, that was unfortunately the only time I got a sense of classic DKC "mood music." Although the music in the Cliffs also has a "feel" to it. I know it's an intangible, but most of the music hasn't lived up to the series.

Still, what Retro has accomplished is really impressive. The clinging mechanic was a great addition. They've also taken the series staples, mostly barrel usage, and truly pushed the creativity in using them in crazy unique ways. Not my favorite platformer on Wii, but a fantastic one for sure.

Regulus Tera said:
Finally obtained all KONG letters. I'm planning to complete all bonus levels by the end of the year, so wish me luck.

I've been beating them as I play each world. For the most part, they're great fun and well-designed, but part of the difficulty is a bit artificial. Several of the levels make it more difficult simply by withholding information on where the next platform is going to be until a second before you have to make your jump.

When I made a jump and a platform suddenly fell from the sky and pushed me down into a pit, I felt I was playing a Mario ROM hack. This makes some segments more about trial-and-error than twitch reaction.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I died twice on what I think is the final barrel blast in 5-K!!!

When going back and collecting the KONG letters I was surprised how easy the earlier levels are. They were difficult when I first played them!

A very well paced game with a genuine difficulty curve.

Garcia

Ok, trying to Gold 2-1 is proving to be etremely difficult. There are 2 jumps that are just brutal to get right, and they must be executed perfectly in order to keep rolling non-stop.... :/ Spent an entire hour and I still can't manage to get the first jump right. So far it has a 50/50 chance of being succesful (you have to roll, jump on a red crab, keep rolling and then jump on a yellow crab which propels you onto the next platform. If you miss that jump you end up loosing 3 SECONDS standing still waiting for the platform to reach the correct place.... ARGG !

daakusedo

Ah, I remember this jump.

You have Diddy so that's a last second bounce and no direction until you reach the higher point of the jump then hover to the platform.

Played a fair bit of this game at a friends house this Christmas, very entertaining. They have kept the DKC vibe and visuals well, but I felt the two-player was strange. I would have liked it to be one player at the time like DKC, where you swapped between Diddy and Donkey.

so1337

_Alkaline_ said:
Music Madness is also fantastic, particularly in the way the various instrumental obstacles in the level coincide with the beat.
Socreges said:
Does anyone else think that the fact that Retro deliberately avoided DKC2 music and only remade DKC music indicates that they'd like to do DKCR2? Personally I'd rather them work on something else (i.e., 2.5D Metroid), but I'd still welcome another DKCR.
Actually when I heard Music Madness for the first time I thought I heard something from DKC 2 in there. But alas, it was only Fear Factory.
ismaboof said:
Rocket barrel music>all
I thought so too. But then I heard Switcheroo.
I had no intention for this to rhyme.

jarosh said:
my favorites are

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgtBOiORA3w
treetop rock returns

and the various jazzy renditions of the silhouette stage music

I'm tied between the Forest and Factory areas being my favourite in the game.

I think the Forest has the best level design. It flows the best, is full of all kinds of different mechanics whilst requiring you to master previous ones (namely clinging and swinging), and as side note is simply gorgeous.

The Factory has the best atmosphere, probably most akin to the original series, and arguably the best music in the game. It also has a few levels that take a clever gimmick and go nuts with it. These levels really reminded me of the Galaxy games and that's very high praise from me.

Threi

notag
Anticitizen One said:
isnt that just a remix of life in the mines? one of several found in the game
Yes it is, and it's better than the original version.

Music Madness is also awesome, as is tidal terror, and the first level of world 2

And personally i feel that world 7 is easily the peak of the game, for several reasons. The music being one of them.

*edit*

Actually yeah I agree the top two are Jungle world and Factory world. Factory world edges it out for me.

I hate the mines world with all my soul. Fuck that world.

6-K is really pissing me off because it isn't registering the waggle roll. I'm playing with nunchuck+wii remote setup and the way I hold my controller (partly because my right arm was permanently damaged years ago) makes it tilt towards the left. I didn't have a problem in other Wii games because they want a waggle in any direction. This game seems to only accept a downward waggle :( stop discriminating against me!

Garcia

Linkzg said:
6-K is really pissing me off because it isn't registering the waggle roll. I'm playing with nunchuck+wii remote setup and the way I hold my controller (partly because my right arm was permanently damaged years ago) makes it tilt towards the left. I didn't have a problem in other Wii games because they want a waggle in any direction. This game seems to only accept a downward waggle :( stop discriminating against me!

I'm also beginning to get pissed off at the waggle. Doing the time trials requires absolute precision and fluidity of movement, which sometimes seems to be impossible due to the randomness at which the Wiimite decides NOT to register a roll right on time.

They absolutely HAVE to, at the very least allow customizable controls in DKCR:2. Either that or just completely take that fucking gimmick away. It's bothering several people already.

Why is it that just a handful of Wii games let you remap your buttons these days??? :mad: !

World 8 makes me want to play my millionth playthrough of Metroid Prime. :s

And the waggle has worked 99.9% of the time for me (even on trial runs). The other % pissed me off bad though.

Gin

Regulus Tera said:
5k has killed my hopes to finish this game by midnight.

i just said it a few posts back.. but 5k is the hardest level in the game.

if you are able to beat 5k - you can beat the rest of the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
is 5k the one with the electric bugs? fuck that level.

Rez said:

that's 6-k (aka the one I just finished aka MEET ME SOMEWHERE)

Garcia said:
I'm also beginning to get pissed off at the waggle. Doing the time trials requires absolute precision and fluidity of movement, which sometimes seems to be impossible due to the randomness at which the Wiimite decides NOT to register a roll right on time.

They absolutely HAVE to, at the very least allow customizable controls in DKCR:2. Either that or just completely take that fucking gimmick away. It's bothering several people already.

Why is it that just a handful of Wii games let you remap your buttons these days??? :mad: !

All I want is consistent waggling. This, Tenchu 5, and Red Steel 1 are the games (off the top of my head) that I've had problems with because you need to waggle in a specific direction and the game is strict about it. If Donkey Kong let me do it to the left and right like Mario Galaxy, it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Gin

Rez said:

5k is the hardest - 6k is 2nd hardest (one with the lava rising and electric bugs)

i think the bugs was just retro trying to piss off everyone

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh, I strongly disagree. 6-k was SO MUCH harder for me. I used the invincibility potion.

5-K wasn't really hard. That's not me saying that I'm good, cuz I suck. It was more about memorization and once you saw how things went, it was a breeze to actually do it. 6-K had lightening bugs that moved around and required really precise movement in addition to some memorization. 6-K and some parts of World 4 were when the game bordered on frustrating for me.

Garcia

Getting Gold (or shiny) on 1-K makes you feel like a Jedi afterwards... It's like playing reverse invisible Tetris :lol .

I didn't buy anything from Cranky except for the gold keys (obviously) and some extra balloons in co-op. Naturally I had 999 banana coins throughout most the game.

That's actually something that isn't mentioned here much but I think it's a fault (albeit slight) of the game. There's just too many coins handed out to the player. And, to a lesser extent, too many lives (unless, as alluded to before, you're playing co-op). It's rupee-syndrome and it kind of made collecting them a non-event - even an annoyance - later in the game. Retro probably should've held back on throwing them out like they were going out of style.

Minor niggle though.

Gin

_Alkaline_ said:
I didn't buy anything from Cranky except for the gold keys (obviously) and some extra balloons in co-op. Naturally I had 999 banana coins throughout most the game.

That's actually something that isn't mentioned here much but I think it's a fault (albeit slight) of the game. There's just too many coins handed out to the player. And, to a lesser extent, too many lives (unless, as alluded to before, you're playing co-op). It's rupee-syndrome and it kind of made collecting them a non-event - even an annoyance - later in the game. Retro probably should've held back on throwing them out like they were going out of style.

Minor niggle though.

i agree with this. had 999 coins majority of the time

however - i am "decent" gamer and i was losing lives constantly throughout all levels of this game.

I would just go to cranky and refill my balloons with the coins.

for people doing co-op losing two balloons at once - or even non gamers - i think those coins would disappear very quickly

Garcia

_Alkaline_ said:

Damn.... I had to repeteadly go back to 1-k in order to farm coins since doing Co-op we sometimes needed at least 30+ lives for some levels, and we ran out of coins at least 4 times before beating the game. Later on I will give this baby a try all by myself.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Ok I think I am done with DKCR for now. I am at the stage where I could play mirror mode, but seriously is it even possible?

I think I will come back for a new playthrough/some coop later this year.

An amazing game. It hit all the right spots for me. Graphics, level design, art style, pacing and difficulty.

The only small gripe I have is the waggle roll (but it is fairly insignificant).

A very satisfying experience (one of my favourite games this generation).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Miyamoto is obviously sharing some of his secret stash with the staff at Austin. Last level is bananas.

I could finish the game right now, but I'm too hungry (and sleep-deprived) to do precision platforming at the moment.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
After going through the concept art, I cannot believe that Retro didn't go with the Virtual Boy concept. That would have been the shit.

So finished the game. I don't think I'm gonna tackle Mirror Mode anytime soon, but that was really fun. I loved that last level -it was relaxing, yet challenging. Pure precision platforming.

EDIT: It seems that underwater levels were at least considered. I'm glad they were taken out.

EDIT2: Factory made of Game Boy Micros = WHY IS THIS NOT IN THE GAME

Regulus Tera said:
After going through the concept art, I cannot believe that Retro didn't go with the Virtual Boy concept. That would have been the shit.

So finished the game. I don't think I'm gonna tackle Mirror Mode anytime soon, but that was really fun. I loved that last level -it was relaxing, yet challenging. Pure precision platforming.

EDIT: It seems that underwater levels were at least considered. I'm glad they were taken out.

EDIT2: Factory made of Game Boy Micros = WHY IS THIS NOT IN THE GAME

Yeah, I was a little disapointed that the
Golden Temple consisted of only one level.
Some of those unused concept levels would have been amazing.

Top Bottom