• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Huge thanks to epmode for the Classic Controller code! The game is completely ruined by the waggle without it. Now I'm having a blast, and can appreciate the great design instead of suffering constant frustration fighting the controls.

Leondexter said:
Huge thanks to epmode for the Classic Controller code! The game is completely ruined by the waggle without it. Now I'm having a blast, and can appreciate the great design instead of suffering constant frustration fighting the controls.

Hyperbole much?

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Just got Shiny on all of the Jungle level (damn you Mugly and you're horrible trick to get shiny).

Probably the time I'm most proud of: 1:04.27 on Platform Panic (1-K). Has anyone beaten that? I know a couple places I could shave off probably another 3 seconds, though it might be possibly to get sub 1 minute.

sammy

Regulus Tera said:
After going through the concept art, I cannot believe that Retro didn't go with the Virtual Boy concept. That would have been the shit.

So finished the game. I don't think I'm gonna tackle Mirror Mode anytime soon, but that was really fun. I loved that last level -it was relaxing, yet challenging. Pure precision platforming.

EDIT: It seems that underwater levels were at least considered. I'm glad they were taken out.

EDIT2: Factory made of Game Boy Micros = WHY IS THIS NOT IN THE GAME

I'm happy you liked these concept-designs. The Retro art team is oooozing with hard-working talent, we would just throw any idea at the wall to see what sticks. Which is the best you can do in pre-production, go as far as you can push it in the hopes you can at least meet half-way.

sammy said:
I'm happy you liked these concept-designs. The Retro art team is oooozing with hard-working talent, we would just throw any idea at the wall to see what sticks. Which is the best you can do in pre-production, go as far as you can push it in the hopes you can at least meet half-way.
While it's always a bummer to see cool concepts on the cutting room floor I don't think anyone can fault DKCR for lack of visual polish and thematic variety. I'm taking my time, so I'm still on world 6, but virtually every level introduces some new theme, event, or enemy. I'm constantly tickled by the inventiveness of it all. In fact, I've been meaning to write a post about how DKCR is in many ways my favorite Metroid game to come from Retro. ;)

KevinCow

Banned
sammy said:

Wait wait wait.

Am I reading this wrong, or are you saying you work at Retro?

Because if that's what you're saying, I think I love you.

KevinCow said:
Wait wait wait.

Am I reading this wrong, or are you saying you work at Retro?

Because if that's what you're saying, I think I love you.
That would be really cool if he does!

Beat 5-K after 40 lives and only missed 1 puzzle (not the hidden one, but the one between the spiky balls I didn't dare attempt to grab it; obtained the hidden one by accident!). What a hard level, but I enjoyed it.

sammy

GrotesqueBeauty said:
In fact, I've been meaning to write a post about how DKCR is in many ways my favorite Metroid game to come from Retro. ;)

:D haha, werd. Not a bad way to put it. Between Retro and SPD Japan they pour ideas into every corner of a game. They'll always make great stuff

I was there for some years (just on my own freelance and teaching now) -- it was a great experience, the art team's process reminded me of how I always heard the developers for Panzer Dragoon created their games. everyone gets to doodle and throw ideas at the wall, makes for great world-building. I posted a ton of sketches on CA.org

This game really passed my expectations. Extremely fun and very challenging. On top of that, it feels very ambitious for a 2D platformer, from the great pacing and variety, to the art style. It makes NSMB Wii feel so "safe" in comparison. With this game, Retro places itself as Nintendo's #2 internal studio for this generation behind EAD Tokyo (EAD Kyoto can redeem itself if Skyward Sword and Pikmin 3 are both awesome).

Retro has done an incredible job with two of Nintendo's major franchises. Now they deserve to have the time and support to grow their own original idea.

Also....wtf is it with people have problems with the motion controls? I really think some people are just impaired...

nincompoop said:
He must have a physical handicap which makes it impossible for him to shake the remote. That's the only thing I can think of.

More likely you have a mental handicap that lets you believe shake detection can be as precise as button detection. I have no problem with motion control when it's used appropriately.

Leondexter said:
More likely you have a mental handicap that lets you believe shake detection can be as precise as button detection. I have no problem with motion control when it's used appropriately.
If it was as imprecise as you claim then there wouldn't be legions of players who have no problem doing it. Since you're the one who can't grasp something as simple as shaking a remote, then you're the one who appears to be suffering from some defect, not me.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
sammy said:

You fuckers* better make a Virtual Boy level for the sequel.

I love you guys and if I drop by Austin I'll send you a cake.

sammy said:
I was there for some years (just on my own freelance and teaching now)

Never mind no cake for you.

nincompoop said:
If it was as imprecise as you claim then there wouldn't be legions of players who have no problem doing it. Since you're the one who can't grasp something as simple as shaking a remote, then you're the one who appears to be suffering from some defect, not me.

How imprecise did I claim it was, exactly? Less precise than a button is what I said, which is a simple fact.

And where did I say I couldn't shake a Wii remote? I said motion controls are fine, I just don't like how they're used in this game, clearly indicating I'm capable of such an action, and also clear evidence that you can't understand written language properly.

The symptoms of your mental deficiency seem to include poor reading comprehension and bad assumptions.

_Alkaline_ said:
So one move requiring input that is less precise than a button = completely game-ruining now? Cause that's what you're saying.
Motion controls are required for rolling, pounding, and blowing. Pretty sure that's three moves (as opposed to one), two of which you're required to use frequently throughout the entire game. It's not a deal breaker, but it is a completely unnecessary blemish on an otherwise pleasant experience.

nincompoop said:

It's just an objective fact that motions controls like these are less responsive than pressing a button. How much this bothers someone can vary. Many can't/won't notice, others will want to tear their hair out.

Leondexter said:
How imprecise did I claim it was, exactly? Less precise than a button is what I said, which is a simple fact.
No, it's a simple fact that shaking the remote and pressing a button are equally precise, since they both register 100% of the time that you perform them correctly. I hope this concept isn't too difficult for you to grasp, but given the child-like mentality exhibited in your previous posts I somehow doubt it.
revolverjgw said:
It's just an objective fact that motions controls like these are less responsive than pressing a button. How much this bothers someone can vary.
That's not true. Try waggling and jumping simultaneously in Mario Galaxy. More often than not the result is Mario first makes the spin noise and then jumps, suggesting that the game picked up on the spin motion input first and then cancelled it with the jump input.

Got this late (made myself wait until Christmas for it) and man, what an incredible game so far. And very challenging too. Absolutely loving the game. Hope more people play it.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Motion controls are required for rolling, pounding, and blowing. Pretty sure that's three moves (as opposed to one), two of which you're required to use frequently throughout the entire game. It's not a deal breaker, but it is a completely unnecessary blemish on an otherwise pleasant experience.

Thankfully, pounding works flawlessly and blowing is almost never in any dangerous circumstance.

I'm not making excuses for them, I too would prefer button input (though the ground pound should stay, since it easily makes the most sense and feels great) but this guy stated that the game is completely ruined by motion controls for rolling.

Nicktals

Banned
Leondexter said:

And where did I say I couldn't shake a Wii remote? I said motion controls are fine, I just don't like how they're used in this game, clearly indicating I'm capable of such an action, and also clear evidence that you can't understand written language properly.

The symptoms of your mental deficiency seem to include poor reading comprehension and bad assumptions.

You also said you were constantly fighting the controls and were unable to enjoy the game otherwise. If this is actually the case then I do think you're doing something wrong. Make sure you have the wii remote flat, and shake it downwards. (if you shake the b-button end towards the wall, instead of the floor, it won't work).

It worked perfectly for me. Every single time. It does lead me to believe that people who struggle with it don't know what to do or have defective remotes.

My brother is hosting an exchange student, so we played some Donkey Kong Country Returns tonight. The artworks are kind of hidden... you should be able to get to them without quitting all the way out. Anyway, we're now up to the level where the waves come from the background to kill you... game's already pretty hard. Maybe I should try the single player some time...

Wizpig

I just started the game.

They should've called this "Donkey Kong Country Returns And Owns New Super Mario Bros. Wii"

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wizpig said:
I just started the game.

They should've called this "Donkey Kong Country Returns And Owns New Super Mario Bros. Wii"

It's funny--when I first started I had that same feeling and thought eventually it would fade.

Yet, as I play on, it becomes more true.

Wizpig

Plinko said:
It's funny--when I first started I had that same feeling and thought eventually it would fade.

Yet, as I play on, it becomes more true.
I have some friends who like this game more than Mario Galaxy 2 and i don't think i'll ever understand them, but NSMBWii... this one is definitely better, from graphics to music and physics (controls).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wizpig said:
I have some friends who like this game more than Mario Galaxy 2 and i don't think i'll ever understand them, but NSMBWii... this one is definitely better, from graphics to music and physics (controls).

I liken it to SMG2 because, much like SMG2, it keeps introducing new ideas right up until the very end. Literally every single level has some new twist going on.

Wizpig said:
I have some friends who like this game more than Mario Galaxy 2 and i don't think i'll ever understand them,

I understand them as I think it's better but I'd have to play that whole game again to get a proper comparison.

Then again, I think I flat out like 2D better so that may tip the scales.

I often find 3D more exciting but when it comes to straight up design, nothing beats a stellar 2D game for me.

I'm so happy Nintendo makes both though.

Amir0x

Banned
Wizpig said:
I just started the game.

how about Nintendo makes a game called MARIO VISITS DONKEY KONG'S COUNTRY and then it's a whole game based around the various mechanics of both titles, with special mix levels where you have to co-op play each other utilizing specific mechanics to either character

The Lamonster said:
Yes but I'm playing 2-player with my girlfriend. The experience is certainly not as user-friendly as NSMBW!

Oh, ok.

Yeah, heard the two-player is fun but not ideal and not nearly as good as New Super Mario Brothers Wii.

And that it makes the game much tougher.

I was going to say you become much better at the game the more you play but that was thinking you were playing it alone.

Glix

nincompoop said:

I have no problem doing it, but it can be a pain, especially if you are like, laying on the couch, and just want to play something without shaking your stupid remote every few seconds. Stop being an ass.

Amir0x said:
how about Nintendo makes a game called MARIO VISITS DONKEY KONG'S COUNTRY and then it's a whole game based around the various mechanics of both titles, with special mix levels where you have to co-op play each other utilizing specific mechanics to either character

That would be a dream of mine. Imagine an epic nintendo game with all famous nintendo charakters fighting sight by sight in jump`n run style.

....and no, do not come with this submission emissonary of brawl.

Amir0x said:

Not the same but unlike the other Donkey Kong Country games that had their whole unique personality in design(or for the most part), this game actually borrows more heavily in design from the modern Mario games.

I think it's a good thing personally but definitely noticed it sharing level design sensibilities.

Glix said:
I have no problem doing it, but it can be a pain, especially if you are like, laying on the couch, and just want to play something without shaking your stupid remote every few seconds. Stop being an ass.
Considering the guy I was responding to claimed that the controls made the game unplayable, and that his opinion was fact and anyone who disagreed with him was a retard, I thought my responses to him were pretty reasonable in comparison.

It seems like there are two main reasons people complain about motion controls: either they have some silly notion that pressing a button is somehow "cool" while flicking your wrist to accomplish the exact same thing is somehow "uncool", or they're less adept at doing the latter for whatever reason. In Leondexter's case, he needs to realize that it's not the game's fault that he isn't capable of performing simple motions, and that his overdramatic complaining makes him come off as whiny and childish.

I think you can hate the concept of the control scheme but not the execution of thus mentioned scheme.

Nintendo don't release games that control shoddily, they just release ways to control games that people don't care for.

Nabs

Naked Snake said:
Will I enjoy this game if I never really liked the original DKCs?
You'll enjoy this game if you're a fan of platformers
and don't suck
. Look @ jarosh.

Naked Snake said:

Many have said they didn't like those games and really like this game.

It's not exactly like the older games, it's more of a modernized version that borrows from newer Mario games but you do get a kick out of the nostalgic touches as it has many odes the the first Donkey Kong Country, etc...

Basically, you might like this even if you didn't like the older games.

Naked Snake said:
There are some throwbacks to the originals, but everything from the controls to the level design to the visual style is pretty different. I'd say give it a try at the very least.

Wizpig

I'd really like to try the multiplayer sometime soon, how does it work? player 2 is Diddy but you can still make the combo moves like the jump+jetpack?

I tried NSMBWii with 3 players, but it was chaos.
I'm not very good at Mario (far from it), but i was obviously more skilled than my 2 friends who never played the game before, and that made the game more difficult and less fun for everyone.

Galaxy and Galaxy 2... never really considered the "multiplayer" in those two games.

Amir0x said:
Cross-over platform games always sound awesome on paper... and we never got one.

Mario & Sonic... and it's a sports game. sigh.

plufim

Wizpig said:
Mario & Sonic... and it's a sports game. sigh.
While it is only hints, SEGA has hinted that the next crossover will not be a sports game. If it is going to be a 2D platformer or an RPG or a freaking pokemon snap photo game, who knows.

Top Bottom