• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

plufim

Wizpig said:
This could be even better than a platform game.
It really annoys me that I said that, because I just wanted a third example to fill out my sentence. But pokemon snap in the worlds of both sega and nintendo... fffff... that could be incredible. Damn it. Hopefully it is a platformer, although I could see it being a kart racer as well. And given the Mario Kart Wii sales, that should sell incredibly well.

As for Donkey Kong, goddam do I hope Retro get to do a sequel. If they can only snap up the composer of the original Donkey Kong Country's for the sequel, it'd be perfect. As for Amir0x's idea of throwing the mario characters into it, holy shit would that print money like crazy.

Wizpig

Yes, we definitely need David Wise... i mean, even if it's not for DKC, i need him in Nintendo games. :p
Just like Grant Kirkhope (and Robin Beanland, etc.) he's an amazing composer and i'd really like to hear their music in games from some of my favorite software houses.
Back when they were all in a single software house - Rare - it was almost too good to be true...

From what i heard the game's (DKCR) music is - very good - just not excellent like it was in the first two SNES DKC games.
And Wikipedia says the game had like... 5 composers?!

As for Retro Studios i hear they are working on the 3DS? maybe... Metroid Dread? i doubt they are doing another DKC on the 3DS so soon, but you never know. (why should they start another DKC on a new platform before the sales from DKCR are in?)

ps. and i really loved Pokémon Snap back then

For me, part of the the appeal of DKCR is playing it on a big screen and sometimes having a friend join in to watch or play. The visual spectacle, however well it'd be suited to 3D, really lends itself to a home console experience. I'd prefer that any sequel be for Wii or its successful, instead of the 3DS.

ivysaur12

Banned
Wow, World 7 is unreal. I can't believe how mediocre the first two worlds were, this game has been heaven (and extremely difficult) since World 3.

And since it's been so popular, I eagerly await DKCR 2 on my WiiHD or 3DS.

ivysaur12 said:
Wow, World 7 is unreal. I can't believe how mediocre the first two worlds were, this game has been heaven (and extremely difficult) since World 3.

Isn't it common for games to pace themselves and be rather introductory for the first few worlds???

For the beginning of the game, I had no problem with worlds one and two.

I thought they did the job and made you look forward to it getting progressively better.

Are there any games of this kind that are just awesome right at the getgo???

I thought the first two worlds were fine. Nice and gradual introduction to the mechanics, solid music, aesthetically pleasing. King of Cling is one of the best levels in the game. And Tidal Terror as well as the level with the octopus (forget it's name) are sublime.

For me personally, whilst still excellent, the Ruins lack a little bit of the spark that the rest of the worlds have. But when I replay the game again down the track I'll probably find it to be one of my favourites. :lol

It also has Mast Blast. Love that tune.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
how about Nintendo makes a game called MARIO VISITS DONKEY KONG'S COUNTRY and then it's a whole game based around the various mechanics of both titles, with special mix levels where you have to co-op play each other utilizing specific mechanics to either character

So shake the controller to make Mario run fast, and tap B when you're right in front of it (but not too far in front of it) to shoot fire.

Garcia

sammy said:
:D haha, werd. Not a bad way to put it. Between Retro and SPD Japan they pour ideas into every corner of a game. They'll always make great stuff

I was there for some years (just on my own freelance and teaching now) -- it was a great experience, the art team's process reminded me of how I always heard the developers for Panzer Dragoon created their games. everyone gets to doodle and throw ideas at the wall, makes for great world-building. I posted a ton of sketches on CA.org

Sammy, I love you man... LOVE YOU.

Wizpig

Yes, first two worlds are awesome.
I just don't like the bosses, but it's been since DK Jungle Beat that i haven't found cool bosses in 2d platform games.

^%#^%^#&

World 7 is fucking hard..........I ran out of lives on 7-5.....I started that level with 22 :lol

I keep making the same mistakes by trying to go too fast

yeah that art is so amazing. When I was unlocking it in the game I kept thinking how much I'd love to have some of it in super high res.

I've been having a lot of fun revisiting levels in time trial mode and getting golds, they provide a nice challenge without ever feeling unfair. I'm not going to bother getting shiny golds though, the time limits for those are just insane!

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I just got to World 8 and I must say...

FUCK THE BARREL ROCKET LEVELS.

The one hit kills are way too aggravating. Retro should have either had the rocket's health tied to how many hearts you have, or maybe allow you to shoot projectiles at all the shit flying at you. It would've been pretty awesome if you could use the Wii Remote to aim and fire.

Wizpig

That concept art is almost too good, i wonder (actually, i already know the answer) why Nintendo pushed for a more "classic" art style in the actual game?

Almost finished World 8 today. Rocket Barrel level was amazing! So much cool shit going on and extremely scary/tense, but also very completable. Only died twice. Mine cart level was much less fun, worst level in the game. Every single jump happened too quickly and I died 27 times in the level. Loved most of the rest of the levels though especially Bobbing Basalt and Moving Melters.
The twist on raising and falling platform with them falling somewhat slowly and weirdly with magnetism sort of was a really incredible idea
. Amazing game.

Koodo

Banned
Oh my god, the last level of World 5. FUCK THAT SHIT. My sister and I were screaming the whole way through. I am still shaken. :c

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I've been taking my time with the title, onto World 5 now. Collecting everything along the way has definitely slowed me down. Ironically, World 1 special level has been maybe the toughest for me.

Reading the Iwata Asks for DKCR is great as well, one of the best.

Omnibus

sammy said:
:D haha, werd. Not a bad way to put it. Between Retro and SPD Japan they pour ideas into every corner of a game. They'll always make great stuff

I was there for some years (just on my own freelance and teaching now) -- it was a great experience, the art team's process reminded me of how I always heard the developers for Panzer Dragoon created their games. everyone gets to doodle and throw ideas at the wall, makes for great world-building. I posted a ton of sketches on CA.org

Oh my god!! Awesome!! O_O

Please, is it possible to get the Hi-Res versions of these artworks? ^_^

Wizpig

Speed-running can be pretty stressful because of the rolling spam...

I'm not sure i like the idea of it being mapped to the sensors anymore... "Z" would've been better - not for the actual game (that's perfect), but for speed-runs.

This game is so freaking good. Just finished world 4. I am LOVING this game. Even more than NSMB Wii, which is not something I thought I'd say for a 2D platformer maybe ever.

Wizpig said:
Speed-running can be pretty stressful because of the rolling spam...

I'm not sure i like the idea of it being mapped to the sensors anymore... "Z" would've been better - not for the actual game (that's perfect), but for speed-runs.
I disagree, having to time your controller shakes properly is part of what made the time trial runs so fun and unique. Though I do have to admit, my arm got pretty tired after completing a few of them in a row :lol

Wizpig

timetokill said:
This game is so freaking good. Just finished world 4. I am LOVING this game. Even more than NSMB Wii, which is not something I thought I'd say for a 2D platformer maybe ever.
I'm the only one who didn't like NSMBWii in this world.
I didn't get very far in the game, i just didn't like how the jump felt, too different from say Mario World.

/sigh
nincompoop said:
I disagree, having to time your controller shakes properly is part of what made the time trial runs so fun and unique. Though I do have to admit, my arm got pretty tired after completing a few of them in a row :lol
If you manage to shake the nunchuk like you're playing DK Jungle Beat (with the DK bongos, i mean make the same movement with your hand) it can feel satisfying, but once i lose my concentration after trying one or two levels 40+ times it just feels frustrating, i find myself shaking the nunchuk too hard even if i know that's not necessary at all, because i fear that if i shake it too lightly it will lose the input... argh.

Sometimes while touching the ground i immediately shake but i fail to do another roll, and the doubt arises: did the hardware lose the input or was my timing off?... again, argh!

Sorry if that didn't make sense, i'm tired at the moment

For now, i'll definitely leave the speed-runs be and i will continue the main quest.

AwRy108

timetokill said:

Agreed completely--never would've thought that I'd like DKC more than a traditional Mario title, but I do. Oh, do I ever.

Side note: am I the only person who was not at all happy with NSMB Wii? I loved NSMB on DS, but I just can't get into the Wii edition; and, on top of that, I think the co-op is such a terrible, frustrating idea.

Dr.Hadji

I'd put DCKR under NSMB Wii (and most other Mario games) simply because I get punished far to much for doing what I think is the most fun in DCKR (moving at roll-jump speeds). Where as Mario works at it finest when hes running at full blast.

That in Co-op Mario is too too good.

Anth0ny

Jesus, the cave fucking sucks. A world full of minecart levels is a horrible idea :lol

And I was really enjoying this game until now. Better force myself to finish it =/

EvilMario said:
I've been taking my time with the title, onto World 5 now. Collecting everything along the way has definitely slowed me down. Ironically, World 1 special level has been maybe the toughest for me.

They get harder. :lol

Stumpokapow said:
Just booted it up with CC controls for the first time.

Instantaneous 1000000000% improvement.
I'm already using the USB loader, but I've never loaded any cheats/mods, etc. Any instructions on getting CC controls anywhere? Thanks.

Jasoco

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Oh.

I was going to say it gets even better. :(
I thought you were gonna say World 4 will make you rip your hair out.

Though, I didn't have much trouble with it at all given that it's all
minecarts and rockets

Ranger X

_Alkaline_ said:
Oh.

I was going to say it gets even better. :(

haha, I didn't want you to spoil me anything that's why. Right now I am in the fourth world. There's some serious imagination going on there. Looks like Rare never ever exploited the possibilities of
minecart levels!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Battersea Power Station said:
I'm already using the USB loader, but I've never loaded any cheats/mods, etc. Any instructions on getting CC controls anywhere? Thanks.

http://www.pixlbit.com/news?action=showNewsArticle&newsArticleId=1037

Scroll down to this paragraph "For ease of use, you can download the cheat already pre-made as a .gct ready to drop in the proper directory by right clicking here, choosing Save Link As..., and naming the file "CC_Support_DKCR.zip"." and save that zip.

Unzip.

Most copies of the game are v2, so go into v2. Move the gct file there into your SD card under usb-loader/cheats/ (if you're running Configurable, not sure what other USB Loaders use). Launch USB loader. Per-game options. Enable cheats for the game (the option is under "Ocarina"). Boot game. If it doesn't work, try the v1 file.

Default is R = 1, Y = waggle.

agrajag

Banned
So, this game gave me an itch for some more classic platforming on the Wii. What platformers does GAF recommend? Wario World? Klonoa? Muramasa? NSMB Wii? I played the latter at a kiosk and didn't really like it. Maybe it was one of the early levels, but it seemed dumbed down and uninspired compared to earlier SMB games. And I didn't like the art style either. On the 3D side of things, I've been meaning to pick up SMG2. I absolutely loved the first one, so I'm gussing I'll at the very least enjoy it. So what say you, GAF?

Top Bottom