• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

hikarutilmitt said:
Shit I didn't even realize I could use CC for this. Next time I play I'm using it, fuck shaking the goddamned remote to roll while moving, it's counterintuitive and makes me miss crap I shouldn't.

You need an altered system or whatnot.

PataHikari said:
No. No. No. No. No.

The Classic Controller is quite possibly the biggest mistake that Nintendo did with the Wii. It provided an easy out for jibbiering babies who can't stand to learn any sort of thing new to demand nothing change.

Quit cheating and play the game the superior way it's meant to be played.

Uh no. Why is that even considered cheating in your mind? I do prefer Wii Remote and nunchuck to others for this game but not for all. And just because you like it one way doesn't mean it's "right".

I really hope you don't play Brawl with a Wii Remote and a Nunchuck. Gamecube controller is what works best. Some games work best with the combo, some work best with the Gamecube / Classic controller.

So lately I've found myself replaying Super Mario Galaxy whenever I turn on my Wii instead of playing this game. I blame the co-op, I've only played Donkey Kong Country Returns with another player so far, so I can't really imagine playing it alone. And also I need my comfort food right now, I can't handle hard stuff like DKCR these days.

Nabs

cooljeanius said:
So lately I've found myself replaying Super Mario Galaxy whenever I turn on my Wii instead of playing this game. I blame the co-op, I've only played Donkey Kong Country Returns with another player so far, so I can't really imagine playing it alone. And also I need my comfort food right now, I can't handle hard stuff like DKCR these days.
play dkcr. single player is significantly easier than coop.

totowhoa

Banned
Cyan said:
Finally got a gold on the damn first beach level. Uuuuuugh. Harder than the final boss.

Some levels are really easy, some are very hard. Same goes for shiny golds. My fiance started golding/shiny-golding levels before I got around to it and I was impressed by how many she could manage, as I gave up fast. Takes some discipline, but the difficulty *really* varies for certain types of levels. On-rail levels are obviously the easiest, as you just have to make a few perfect maneuvers. I honestly can't imagine doing some of the later worlds, though. Like the world 7 red/blue switch level? Fuck that. I can go through it quite quickly as I've done the whole game mirror as well, but I doubt I have it in me for that.

Citizen K said:
Is there a general consensus as to which control method is best? I just got this game.
So far in this thread, people that have tried the classic controller method haven't gone back. Of course, after this comment, someone will pop up to say otherwise.

mclem

Battersea Power Station said:
Of course, after this comment, someone will pop up to say otherwise.

Boing!

I played through the game with the default nunchuk + wiimote combo, and didn't have a problem with it. Having said that, some people who've played the time trials extensively have commented that the demands that makes on the default control scheme are pretty overwhelming, and the CC is easier for that.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
VGChampion said:
I really hope you don't play Brawl with a Wii Remote and a Nunchuck.

I do. And after playing SSB and SSBM for hundreds upon hundreds of hours, too.

What can I say, some people have the ability to adapt to new controls, while some people are weak and must keep only to what they are familiar with. It's not my fault someone else only has enough muscle-memory for one game.

But hey, I had a fabulous time playing Geometry Wars on my laptop keyboard with WSAD and the arrow-keys, and routinely use Photoshop with a trackpad. This crusade for the Most Optimal And Efficient way to play a game is ridiculous, figure out how whatever controller you have works and get good at it.

Such entitled brats, gamers these days.

Anth0ny

PataHikari said:
No. No. No. No. No.

The Classic Controller is quite possibly the biggest mistake that Nintendo did with the Wii. It provided an easy out for jibbiering babies who can't stand to learn any sort of thing new to demand nothing change.

:lol

Sorry boss.

Tathanen said:

What can I say, some people have the ability to adapt to new controls, while some people are weak and must keep only to what they are familiar with. It's not my fault someone else only has enough muscle-memory for one game.

But hey, I had a fabulous time playing Geometry Wars on my laptop keyboard with WSAD and the arrow-keys, and routinely use Photoshop with a trackpad. This crusade for the Most Optimal And Efficient way to play a game is ridiculous, figure out how whatever controller you have works and get good at it.

I played through (and beat) Halo on a keyboard. Just a keyboard. No mouse.

Felt good man.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
_Alkaline_ said:
I played through (and beat) Halo on a keyboard. Just a keyboard. No mouse.

Felt good man.

PR58N.jpg

Tathanen said:

But where do you draw the line? If they shipped DKCR2 with a ball-in-the-cup controller would you play through the game with it? Game developers are not infallible. I'm actually pretty big on playing by the developers' vision for the game, but I don't play games that to me are bad.

DKCR is good with the default control schemes; I don't really have a problem with them even though I prefer the classic controller. But there has to be a line somewhere that makes the experience less than fun for a given player.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Battersea Power Station said:
But where do you draw the line? If they shipped DKCR2 with a ball-in-the-cup controller would you play through the game with it? Game developers are not infallible. I'm actually pretty big on playing by the developers' vision for the game, but I don't play games that to me are bad.

I might suspect that "playing the game with the default control scheme," which includes the controllers that ship with the system, is about as far on the "okay" side of the line as "ball in a cup" is on the "not so okay" side. Let's not be ridiculous here. Obviously there is a line, but I do not believe there are many video games that come anywhere near it.

Funnily enough, "play this game with bongos" sounds just as ridiculous as your ball in a cup suggestion, and somehow it was BETTER than playing with a traditional controller.

So maybe I would play DKCR2 with a ball in a cup.

zweifuss

Why does everyone assume there will be a DKCR2? What if this was just a one off? I mean, I haven't seen any signs of NSMBW2.

Don't get me wrong I would love sequels to these games but is there any concrete evidence out there that suggests a sequel?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
zweifuss said:
Why does everyone assume there will be a DKCR2? What if this was just a one off? I mean, I haven't seen any signs of NSMBW2.

Don't get me wrong I would love sequels to these games but is there any concrete evidence out there that suggests a sequel?

None. People usually just cite "every other game has gotten a sequel" as reasoning for these kinds of things. "It sold well, there will be another." No actual tangible evidence, just speculation.

That said, I think NSMBW will get a sequel for exactly that reason: it sold way too much to not get one. But I don't think it'll be NSMBW2, I think it'll just be "another 2D Mario game at some point." It proved that 2D Mario is still a viable product, it'd be silly to not keep making them.

I'm less convinced of a DKCR2, though.

AniHawk

zweifuss said:

NSMBW itself was NSMB2. And I'm fairly certain once the new Pikmin game is done, they'll make NSMB3DS.

I think Retro will be the DKC guys for a little while now, at least until that franchise dries up again or they are allowed to work on more than one project at a time.

WillyFive

DaBuddaDa said:
Millions upon millions upon millions of copies sold worldwide.

This is Nintendo. If there is a sequel (like Nintendogs and NSMB) it's going to be in another system, half a decade from now.

But of course, there could be one this E3, you never know.

JimboJones

I'd be surprised not to see a 3DS Donkey Kong Country, the way you moved to the background and forground in the game made it seem like it would suit the 3D effect pretty well.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
PataHikari said:
No. No. No. No. No.

Cheating? Gimme a break... you sound like an asshole. Because people don't want to play with motion sensing? The game was fun without this, it just felt like a task, didnt' really add anything. Didn't make it any harder or easier.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
nincompoop said:
You're either shaking the remote way too hard, or you have an extremely low threshold for what constitutes tedium.

Some people just can't handle motion controls, be it waggle or something more accurate. The number of people who couldn't do the ball rolling or bird stages in Galaxy 2 was mind boggling.

True, but saying that they're "tedious" suggests that using them requires a lot of effort, when in reality flicking your wrist to perform a roll barely requires more energy than pressing a button with your thumb.

Since this thread was bumped again, just wanted to post to say I really love this game. Beautiful graphics, interesting stages, a perfect difficulty level.

I'm generally anti-sequel, but I actually wouldn't mind seeing Retro follow this up with DKCR2, just because there are a number of small flaws that could be fixed. I guess I'll be echoing the common train of thought, but:

I had to hack my Wii to play with the classic controller... that should've been an option from the start. Also, the jetpack/high jump thing annoyed me, so I ended up playing the entire game without Diddy. And also, I still say the music needed a lot of work.

Just picked this up from the library last night. Beat world one. Love it. A little sad that you don't switch Donkey and Diddy in and out like the partner system originally worked in DKC. But other than that, it's everything I wanted it to be.

BowieZ

Banned
Tathanen said:
I might suspect that "playing the game with the default control scheme," which includes the controllers that ship with the system, is about as far on the "okay" side of the line as "ball in a cup" is on the "not so okay" side. Let's not be ridiculous here. Obviously there is a line, but I do not believe there are many video games that come anywhere near it.

Funnily enough, "play this game with bongos" sounds just as ridiculous as your ball in a cup suggestion, and somehow it was BETTER than playing with a traditional controller.

So maybe I would play DKCR2 with a ball in a cup.
Ball in a cup!

gdt

Just finished this (haven't been able to access The Golden Temple yet, though). LOVED IT. One of the best platformers ever. Very old school and modern at the same time.

BowieZ

Banned
Sorry if this is not the correct thread, but is there any good place to watch the GDC-Retro talk live, or live-blogged?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Anth0ny said:
-Minecart stages suck balls. I hope for DKCR2 they are removed, or they leave 1 or 2 tops.
-Jetpack stages are shitty too. Not as bad as minecart stages, but still bad
fucking WHAT?! those were the best levels!

Anth0ny said:
-These new enemies suck. Bring back the Kremlings!
eh, they were serviceable. the game isn't about the trash enemies anyway.

I never even noticed the "tedious" motion controls. The mvements just happened as easy as pushing a button. When I wanted to roll, I lightly shook the remote and I rolled, as easy as that.

Maybe my tolerance came from 100% beating both Galaxy games, which requires a decent grib on waggle controls.

Bulzeeb

balladofwindfishes said:
I never even noticed the "tedious" motion controls. The mvements just happened as easy as pushing a button. When I wanted to roll, I lightly shook the remote and I rolled, as easy as that.

Maybe my tolerance came from 100% beating both Galaxy games, which requires a decent grib on waggle controls.

Same here, the game controls are fine to me and I also beat both galaxy games at 100% and played Wario Land Shake it before it, anyways I have this game on stand by because I decided to finish Majoras mask first (this is my second play trough of the game after 10 years and I am loving each minute of it)

Disguises

TheExodu5 said:
Try doing the time trials for Gold and see how you like motion controls then. Just do the first level.
Got shiny gold. No complaints about motion controls here. As with any other method of control, it just takes practise.

Edit: However, I am yet to try classic controls...

ch0mp

balladofwindfishes said:

Its probably just the way I sit - NES style, leaning back, feet up with my hands resting on my lap. It's not comfortable at all to shake the controller.

Threi

notag
TheExodu5 said:
Try doing the time trials for Gold and see how you like motion controls then. Just do the first level.
love em.

and the dude that did all the gold trials on youtube (and posted them here) said he didn't mind the motion controls at all either. Maybe his opinion changed though for some reason, i dunno.

Ixzion

I played and beat this game. Overall, it was quite enjoyable. The level design and difficulty were quite awesome. The controls left something to be desired, but it wasn't too big an issue.

My major complaint is how sterile the game is. The game lacks a healthy dose of personality which the original series had in spades.

Beat this game and mirror mode a month ago and absolutely loved it. I know Neogaf seems to be fairly split on their opinion o the older DKC's, but for me personally I've been wishing for a return to the series for ages and this was almost everything I wanted from a DKC4... And since it's DKC Returns, it wasn't obliged to build off everything (worth building off) in the previous games either. I think aesthetically speaking Retro hit a nice sweet spot between harking back to the old game's environments while injecting their art team's style into them. It really does look like what you'd expect DKC to look like if it were made 15 years down the road, unburdened by plastic-y CGI or the SNES' limitations.

However while I doubt I'm the first to say this, but aside being piss easy by the time you tackle them in time trials due to muscle memory, the jet barrels are pretty awful. Completely divorced from the rest of the gameplay and personally seems to slow the game down way more what with the amount of trial and error dying than the cut water levels (which they could have just made Enguarde-only which would've been nice since I liked Retro's redesign of Rambi) would have. Feel the complaints about waggle are far overblown, though it seems odd a lot of the online marketing seem to focus on people revisiting the older games via the Virtual Console if they were going to change the control scheme that dramatically.

Would kill for a DKCR2 in a few years time; just give me more animal buddies, get David Wise on board and throw in a few more familiar faces like Funky and Dixie and I'm good to go. K. Rool too (apathetic about whether he comes back with Kremlings or not) if they're struggling to think up a memorable final boss like they were with
Tiki Tong
. Rest of the Tiki's were awesome though, and like the pirate Kremlings of DKC2 were built around the game's theme very nicely. Be neat to see what else Retro could think up if they don't revisit/redesign the Kremlings next time (though I sort of hope they do). While I felt in DKC the Kremlings felt tacked on (though I still liked the Zingers and Necky) and in DKC3 they just looked flat out bad (not to mention they didn't bother to line them up with K. Rool's mad scientist persona of that game).

EDIT: Returns didn't have any personality? What? Besides Cranky not really breaking the 4th wall anymore or having someone as over the top as K. Rool as a final villain, I felt it was very inline with how the older DKC's, just updated a bit. Honestly, it's pretty impressive considering both how very little people on the project had prior history with the earlier games or considering the difference in styles Retro has to early 90's Rare how nicely DKCR fits in with its predecessors.

Top Bottom