• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I hate that chicken boss, having to run between his legs without getting hit is a pain in the ass. I barely touch the leg and i lose a heart.

Wizpig said:
In the main game, where you don't need to "abuse" the roll, it's perfect imo. but not in the speed-runs.

I think for more skilled players, this is probably true. But while I've been playing games for 25 years, I've never been "great" at them. And for someone like me, that small amount of uncertainty can be discouraging.

I can't really blame the implementation -- it's just that motion controls have to have a sort of "dead zone" before they execute to avoid accidental use. But because of this, I totally agree with you -- at least an option for Classic Controller support would have been nice.

Comparing Super Meat Boy to DKCR, it was just night and day between the two. While SMB's level design is of course deliberately frustrating and murderous, I felt more compelled to keep trying in SMB vs. DKCR, and the controls are a large reason why.

Wizpig

thesurfshop19 said:
Comparing Super Meat Boy to DKCR, it was just night and day between the two. While SMB's level design is of course deliberately frustrating and murderous, I felt more compelled to keep trying in SMB vs. DKCR, and the controls are a large reason why.
That's more because in SMB you don't have to press "start -> restart level -> loading -> 3 2 1" every time, I'd say.

The jump in DKCR is pretty much perfect for the game style, and the one in SMB is of course perfect too.

The controls are, in both games, better than NSMBWii.

But yeah, the roll can be discouraging (in time trials) and i absolutely understand this point.
And I hate it, because doing the speed-runs should be fun as fuck, but not with this waggle-waggle-waggle it isn't...

Despite this flaw, as i said, i don't get why this game didn't get at least nominated for 2010 GOTY in some categories on some website... did it come out too late and nobody noticed it?
It's "Donkey Kong Country" and it doesn't sound as new as "Super Meat Boy" who stole all the spotlights? "Super Mario Galaxy 2" was already on some of these lists and one Nintendo game is enough? all these reasons sound stupid to me... i hate GOTY lists. :p

legend166

After having beaten both Super Meat Boy and DKCR (well, I got A+ on all light worlds and half the dark worlds in SMB), I don't understand why people compare them. They are 100%, completely different games with completely different objectives. They both feature jumping, and that's about where the similarity ends. It's like comparing Metroid Prime to Unreal Tournament or something. Sure, they both have shooting, but that's about it.

Wizpig

legend166 said:
After having beaten both Super Meat Boy and DKCR (well, I got A+ on all light worlds and half the dark worlds in SMB), I don't understand why people compare them. They are 100%, completely different games with completely different objectives. They both feature jumping, and that's about where the similarity ends. It's like comparing Metroid Prime to Unreal Tournament or something. Sure, they both have shooting, but that's about it.
SMB has perfect controls, so perfect that they may or may not let you enjoy less other platforms.

ie. "Hey, these controls are not as good as SMB!".

But DKCR controls are very good; it's just that the roll is not always very fun to do.

I was originally disliked the waggle-to-roll mechanic, but it seems easier now to use (generally easier to use while I'm moving though, then when I'm standing still).

Even if I'm getting used to it, I would still prefer an actual button than waggle. I'm sure none of us would complain if the game had DKC SNES controls.

Ranger X

LAST BOSS DIFFICULTY SPIKE!

wtf man.

WHYYYYYYYY? I just lost like 35 lives and now I need to take a break (or killing someone).

Anth0ny

Wizpig said:
SMB has perfect controls, so perfect that they may or may not let you enjoy less other platforms.

ie. "Hey, these controls are not as good as SMB!".

But DKCR controls are very good; it's just that the roll is not always very fun to do.

By far my most hated thing
(well maybe not)
in DKCR is the lag DK gets when you jump/run into a wall. I've died so many times from that bullshit. Also, I feel like I can't go back to Wii chuk after playing this with the classic controller.

I'm at the volcano world, and I've been enjoying the game on the whole so far. I just feel like they have some really well designed stages, and some really crappy stages with bad pacing. The entire factory world was fantastic. Now, the volcano stages are just meh. It's hard to explain.

So far, I'd probably give it a 7/10. It's very good, but it's no DKC/DKC2.

Anth0ny said:
By far my most hated thing
(well maybe not)
in DKCR is the lag DK gets when you jump/run into a wall. I've died so many times from that bullshit. Also, I feel like I can't go back to Wii chuk after playing this with the classic controller.

I'm at the volcano world, and I've been enjoying the game on the whole so far. I just feel like they have some really well designed stages, and some really crappy stages with bad pacing. The entire factory world was fantastic. Now, the volcano stages are just meh. It's hard to explain.

So far, I'd probably give it a 7/10. It's very good, but it's no DKC/DKC2.

lol

LevityNYC

Banned
Ranger X said:

wtf man.

WHYYYYYYYY? I just lost like 35 lives and now I need to take a break (or killing someone).

Go back to another stage, get DIDDY. Use the item that give you 10 hits and you can't lose.

Ranger X said:

wtf man.

embrace the pain :D

Also don't go back for Diddy be a man and beat him as is.

Finally finished the game, I totally didn't expect the final boss to be
a crazy cross of Master Hand from SSB and Andross
. I also beat him without Diddy, he's not too difficult once you figure out his pattern. Wonderful game though, everything about it was just fantastic.

Which brings me to a question for those of you who have completed the game 100%. I'm going through the game again now slowly collecting all the Kong letters and puzzle pieces, but I find the speed runs kinda boring and frustrating. Will I miss out on anything important if I skip them?

rhino4evr

MidnightScott said:
I finally beat this bitch. God that game pissed me off so much. So glad to be done with it. I'm not even gonna bother unlocking the extra shit.
This is exactly how I felt about this game. It was probably my least favorite game of the year now that I think about it. Rocket barrel and mine cart levels can go to hell.

Ranger X

I got him with a banana juice.
Ok now I have 3 temples to complete! *cries*

EDIT: Yay! got all the orbs. Was easier than expected, the banana juice actually gave me confidence somehow.

rhino4evr

legend166 said:
I pity those that hate mine cart levels.

I love them so much.
You don't have to, you keep that awful trial and error one hit death gameplay. I'm way too old for that stuff. I just don't have the patience anymore.

There's an item that gives you 10 extra hearts?! That's so weaksauce
pd3Ic.gif

Ranger X

nincompoop said:
There's an item that gives you 10 extra hearts?! That's so weaksauce
pd3Ic.gif

Let's you finish the game without practicing 40 hours / week. I like that, I have other duties in my life than slicing my head for a videogame.
I finished everything now and I used 3 bananas on 3 different levels (2 Kong temples and the last boss). The game was fantastic!

Didn't take me that long to finish. The final boss only killed me around 10 times. Some of the bonus levels probably took me around 40-50 tries though.

mclem

nincompoop said:
Didn't take me that long to finish. The final boss only killed me around 10 times. Some of the bonus levels probably took me around 40-50 tries though.
The first bonus level got me back down to under 20 lives or so after being on 50ish, along with getting and losing a lot of lives while dying. However, I'd picked up so many banana coins from the repeated deaths that I was more or less set for the rest of the game.

Didn't use any of the items from Cranky's shops other than bonus balloons and keys. The game's tough, but doable without assistance. Still, they're a good idea for weaker players.

Ranger X said:
I got him with a banana juice.
Ok now I have 3 temples to complete! *cries*

EDIT: Yay! got all the orbs. Was easier than expected, the banana juice actually gave me confidence somehow.
Pathetic! you are no man :(

Anth0ny

Finally beat
fucking bongo bongo from Ocarina of Time.
Man he was a bastard. Used Diddy, but no extra hearts/Banana juice.

Final Thoughts:

-Minecart stages suck balls. I hope for DKCR2 they are removed, or they leave 1 or 2 tops.
-Jetpack stages are shitty too. Not as bad as minecart stages, but still bad
-Some of the bosses were mediocre.
-I have no comment on Wiichuk/sideways wiimote because I played this game with the Classic Controller. From what I played with Wiichuk (world 1), it was bad. Classic Controller feels so right, and better be standard for DKCR2.
-These new enemies suck. Bring back the Kremlings!

-Besides those small gripes, the game was fantastic. Definitely one of the best platformers of all time (although I still prefer DKC and DKC2 by just a little bit). The above points are easily fixed, and I expect an awesome sequel.

-I played 1K, and holy shit that was an awesome stage. However, I'm not about the get every K-O-N-G in the game... just don't feel like it, the game has kinda drained me. Someday I'll 100% it.

Now, onto Super Meat Boy I go!

I don't know why I'm even bother going through with mirror mode. I was up until 4 AM last night finishing up Jagged Jewels (4-K), which actually wasn't too hard when I got a pattern down. And then the World 4 boss raped me...

Masochism at its best.

Cyan said:
Finally beat Jagged Jewels on
mirror mode
. My God, that nearly destroyed me. Burned through so many fucking lives on that thing.

I swear I lost more than 60 lives on that level alone. Oddly enough Perilous Passage, the one with rising lava, took only a few tries
in mirror mode
to beat.

Up to World 7 in mirror mode, with frustration rampant. I can't remember yelling at my TV so often in any other game, but I push on.

Really, I find mirror mode to be the true essence of DKC: no bullshit Diddy hovering, no bullshit Diddy jump timing, and one-hit KO. Too bad the levels are reversed, but I can deal with that. Nothing gives me more satisfaction than beating a level on mirror mode, not having to look for puzzle pieces or KONG letters.

The only levels really giving me a hard time are the K and boss levels. Both 4-K and 6-K were nightmares, but I would consider the last two fairly easy. However, I'm not looking forward to the final two bosses. Rage will sustain me.

It is done.

200%

Oh man, that was a marathon gaming session. All of mirror mode in the span of two days, within three separate 3-5 hour blocks. I want to say that I hated the controls, how finicky it was to pull off a roll-jump. I want to say how bullshit the jumping mechanics were for Donkey versus Diddy Kong. But, that's all swept aside.

What a game. Polished to perfection. Retro am gods confirmed.

Apenheul

SabinFigaro said:
It is done.

200%

Oh man, that was a marathon gaming session. All of mirror mode in the span of two days, within three separate 3-5 hour blocks. I want to say that I hated the controls, how finicky it was to pull off a roll-jump. I want to say how bullshit the jumping mechanics were for Donkey versus Diddy Kong. But, that's all swept aside.

What a game. Polished to perfection. Retro am gods confirmed.

200% agreed!

spliced

I'm trying to do mirror mode but man it's a nightmare at times. 4-K and 4-B were brutal. It's funny going through on Mirror mode I find the bosses to be an even bigger pain than the K's.

The K's are tough but the progression is pretty constant because the patterns stay the same. The bosses randomness combined witth one shot death beat me down. The other thing that sucks about the bosses is it takes so long for the actual battle to start. You have to enter the level, run to the side to get to the part that starts the animation, then while pressing the button to skip the animation you have to watch a bit of it everytime. Then finally the boss fight begins. I fought the level 6 boss about 60 times. If it takes 10 seconds for the fight to start that means I spent 10 minutes on that one boss just waiting to start the fight.

gamingeek

So I completed all the levels. All the circles on the world map(s) are blue.

But on the factory world there is nowhere to go now, no boss and no next level? Am I missing something?

Metal B

gamingeek said:
So I completed all the levels. All the circles on the world map(s) are blue.

But on the factory world there is nowhere to go now, no boss and no next level? Am I missing something?

There hidden button in the last three levels of the factory. You have to find them all to open the path to the boss.

gamingeek

Metal B said:
There hidden button in the last three levels of the factory. You have to find them all to open the path to the boss.

How many hidden buttons are in each level and what do they look like? Are we talking the things you have to ground pound with the DK logo?

The Judge

gamingeek said:
How many hidden buttons are in each level and what do they look like? Are we talking the things you have to ground pound with the DK logo?

It's one button in each of the 3 levels. If I remember correctly it isn't the ones with DK logo, these buttons are pretty unique.

Completed 9-1. That level was so good. Such a nice change of pace from the rest of the game. Game was incredible other than the lack of Diddy Kongs in X-K stages and the last mine cart level. Loved the Rocket Barrel levels. Intense, frantic, cinematic, bit more control than the normal barrel levels and the mine carts. Really awesome. Every World after 2 was pretty amazing, but I think I prefer Forest because of the excellent vine swinging mechanics and the music in that World.

.la1n

Anth0ny said:
Finally beat

Final Thoughts:

-Minecart stages suck balls. I hope for DKCR2 they are removed, or they leave 1 or 2 tops.
-I have no comment on Wiichuk/sideways wiimote because I played this game with the Classic Controller. From what I played with Wiichuk (world 1), it was bad. Classic Controller feels so right, and better be standard for DKCR2.

-Besides those small gripes, the game was fantastic. Definitely one of the best platformers of all time (although I still prefer DKC and DKC2 by just a little bit). The above points are easily fixed, and I expect an awesome sequel.

-I played 1K, and holy shit that was an awesome stage. However, I'm not about the get every K-O-N-G in the game... just don't feel like it, the game has kinda drained me. Someday I'll 100% it.

I whole heartedly agree with every complaint you have. Doesn't make it any less of a fun game but it needs improvement.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Anth0ny said:
Finally beat

Final Thoughts:

Can't agree personally on the minecart and rocket barrel levels; those are Battletoads shit right there and just as well done in all their insanity. But to be fair, Battletoads Shit is not for everyone; there's no shame in it not being your thing.

The bosses are mediocre because they try to copy the style of the limited SNES bosses. Retro could have gone all-out Treasure madness but refrained. People know Retro can make insane bosses.

As for the enemies, after a lot of thought I have come to the conclusion: the real problem is that the Kremlings, for all that they're poor character designs, have one advantage. They represent a simple but effective archetype, the pirate. I still don't think the Kremlings are very good, but by virtue of being pirates, they write their own story. Pirates show up, steal your shit, you gotta get it back. It's a primal thing, yo.

The Tiki guys unfortunately aren't any particular archetype and are kind of random. So a dumb plot, and in fact not really comprehensible, plot excuse is required to justify why they're out to get you, and why you gotta wreck their shit. Even the plot twist explaining why they want bananas is pretty dumb and doesn't create any real drama or make them seem legitimately evil.

DKCR2 either needs a much better concept for its villains, or the Kremlings need a serious overhaul if they're going to be justified as the bad guys, but again, at least being your basic pirate stereotype there is something to work with.

Ranger X

Kajima, your Battletoad comparison is a bit exagerrated! lol

I can assure you DKCR is immensely easier. I am not even an expert and I can do it. Battletoad? Never in a million years - I would need 10 times the skill I currently have.

Anth0ny said:

No. No. No. No. No.

The Classic Controller is quite possibly the biggest mistake that Nintendo did with the Wii. It provided an easy out for jibbiering babies who can't stand to learn any sort of thing new to demand nothing change.

Quit cheating and play the game the superior way it's meant to be played.

Ranger X

PataHikari said:
No. No. No. No. No.

The Classic Controller is quite possibly the biggest mistake that Nintendo did with the Wii. It provided an easy out for jibbiering babies who can't stand to learn any sort of thing new to demand nothing change.

How about having the option chap?
You know, this way I can press a button for rolling and you can shake your things for more delay and harder adaptation. Win-win situation.

Nabs

PataHikari said:
No. No. No. No. No.

fuck that.

Ranger X said:
How about having the option chap?
You know, this way I can press a button for rolling and you can shake your things for more delay and harder adaptation. Win-win situation.

Shit I didn't even realize I could use CC for this. Next time I play I'm using it, fuck shaking the goddamned remote to roll while moving, it's counterintuitive and makes me miss crap I shouldn't.

Top Bottom