• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

braves01

Banned
If anyone missed it, here's a good video of someone from Kotaku playing the game.

It covers 2-2 through about the end of world 5, so it shows off a good chunk of the game. The game looks fantastic, imo, and certainly seems up to DKCR's bar.

The video is also notable because the guy playing is very bad at the game, which is no problem, except for the fact he takes no accountability for his lack of skill and blames the game design in an amusing way. Start watching at about 4:17:00 if you like seeing people rage at games.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Thats an awesome post but you shouldn't have written about it in this thread.

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the thread. It's just incredibly frustrating to read previews that do little to actually tell you about the game.

That being said it has no influence on my purchasing decisions, I'm still going to get the game.

Aren't you already in the game?

ClYXP6g.png

maxcriden

Amazing OT, BroBuzz! Thanks for all your hard work on it. :)

This, they are no site like Nintendolife where the review scale stops at 8.

I'll defend Nintendo Life. I would say their scale is totally reasonable. I just read several reviews there recently with scores for games below 5/10. They're actually the site whose reviews I tend to find the most well reasoned out and well considered, and whose reviews I feel like are most similar to my own opinions of games. I love that site.

Vandole

Hmmmm a GameSpot review with a controversial score mistakenly gets leaked prior to the embargo.... where have I seen this before?

Is there any pre-order bonus anywhere? Sorry if I missed as I'm sure others have likely asked.

Man, why doesn't nintendo ever put out CEs of their games? I would totally shell out some extra money for some stupid foam banana, or something.

Yea I'd also love some CE's/LE's from Nintendo on a handful of their bigger releases each year. The WWHD w/ Gannon figurine was a nice option, IMO. I'd love to see them do that more often as long as the value remained good!

tkscz

It's funny how back when this was announced at e3 I was slightly disappointed and apprehensive towards another Donkey Kong game but now as its been getting closer to release I can hardly wait to play it.

Oh and Great OT, I love the title.

Credit: deviantArt

This image needs to be in the OP.

yesrushdt

Has anyone else been avoiding screenshots and videos of this game like the plague? I tend to do that for the last couple months leading to a release that I'll be getting pretty much no matter what (for established franchises that I love). With Tropical Freeze, however, I haven't seen any video of the game since E3 (and next to no screenshots). :)

It's refreshing playing the game this way with little to no spoilers of what lies ahead. This is the way it used to be before the internet when all you had basically were magazine screenshots, shows like Gamepro TV, and extremely limited E3 video reports from CNN and other channels.

Some sites I visit on a regular basis (like GoNintendo.com) really go overboard with way too many gameplay videos of entire levels (and even the entire opening and ending of games) weeks before they come out. Thankfully I can avoid screenshots and embedded YouTube videos on GoNintendo by just going directly to the Wii U tag link in my bookmarks (this just shows the headline text from all of the news posts and nothing else).

Can't recommend this practice enough if you're looking to avoid spoilers. The internet is a great source for video game info, but the downside is revealing way too much about a game before you even play it (leaving that much less to discover ).

phanphare

Banned
If anyone missed it, here's a good video of someone from Kotaku playing the game.

It covers 2-2 through about the end of world 5, so it shows off a good chunk of the game. The game looks fantastic, imo, and certainly seems up to DKCR's bar.

The video is also notable because the guy playing is very bad at the game, which is no problem, except for the fact he takes no accountability for his lack of skill and blames the game design in an amusing way. Start watching at about 4:17:00 if you like seeing people rage at games.

lol that guy's so pissed

I love his critiques of DKC:TF and then praise of Rayman. he' pretty much like, "in Rayman I don't have to be good at the game. I wish that were also true in Donkey Kong"

lol that guy's so pissed

I love his critiques of DKC:TF and then praise of Rayman. he' pretty much like, "in Rayman I don't have to be good at the game. I wish that were also true in Donkey Kong"
Yea, he talks about how the game is just about memorising things, before dying on the same part like 5 times in a row, before blaming the responsiveness 'just turn when I say turn and jump when I say jump, that's all I ask!'

Has anyone else been avoiding screenshots and videos of this game like the plague? I tend to do that for the last couple months leading to a release that I'll be getting pretty much no matter what (for established franchises that I love). With Tropical Freeze, however, I haven't seen any video of the game since E3 (and next to no screenshots). :)

It's refreshing playing the game this way with little to no spoilers of what lies ahead. This is the way it used to be before the internet when all you had basically were magazine screenshots, shows like Gamepro TV, and extremely limited E3 video reports from CNN and other channels.

Some sites I visit on a regular basis (like GoNintendo.com) really go overboard with way too many gameplay videos of entire levels (and even the entire opening and ending of games) weeks before they come out. Thankfully I can avoid screenshots and embedded YouTube videos on GoNintendo by just going directly to the Wii U tag link in my bookmarks (this just shows the headline text from all of the news posts and nothing else).

Can't recommend this practice enough if you're looking to avoid spoilers. The internet is a great source for video game info, but the downside is revealing way too much about a game before you even play it (leaving that much less to discover ).

I've seen a tad more than you, but nothing too much. Some members of this board have basically seen the whole game haha. There's nothing like genuine surprise and discovery on a first playthrough. It's hard avoiding media, but well worth it in the end.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I want this game so bad :(. Also is it just me or was the topic called "Fucking Donkey Kong Country" before?

Edit: Holy fuck the Kotaku guy. Has he ever played a platformer in his life? Memorizing the levels is what makes a platformer fun. He seems to have none of it though and continues rushing through and dying because he can't stand still and wait a second for a platform to appear.

Edit #2: He fucking compares Rayman to Super Meat Boy? Really?

Kodaman

Yea, he talks about how the game is just about memorising things, before dying on the same part like 5 times in a row, before blaming the responsiveness 'just turn when I say turn and jump when I say jump, that's all I ask!'

I laughed at the part in the minecart level when he says "you have no control in the air".. you know.. is a minecart not a fucking plane...

FWIW, he may not be the actual reviewer. Well, I really hope he's not....

I would sincerely hope not, but people are saying he is... But then again when Gamespot dude dropped by here defending his preview of Tropical Freeze, I expressed my concern to him that it wouldn't be professional of him to be the one to do the review based on what he said in the preview, and what he said in the thread. Much good that did haha.

maxcriden

I would sincerely hope not, but people are saying he is... But then again when Gamespot dude dropped by here defending his preview of Tropical Freeze, I expressed my concern to him that it wouldn't be professional of him to be the one to do the review based on what he said in the preview, and what he said in the thread. Much good that did haha.

I think I missed that thread, would it be too much trouble to ask you for a link? I'd be interested to read what he said. Anyway, we still don't know for sure if McShea is the reviewer. From what I remember he is definitely not the only GS reviewer who is (IMO) unduly hard on Nintendo (I'm thinking of the Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon review last year).

Yonafunu

Here we go: around the 03:58:30 point the Kotaku guy says:
"I'm so happy I'm not the person who has to review this"

So there ya go.

"I'm so happy I'm not the person who has to review this"

Not as happy as I am that he isn't :D

I think I missed that thread, would it be too much trouble to ask you for a link? I'd be interested to read what he said. Anyway, we still don't know for sure if McShea is the reviewer. From what I remember he is definitely not the only GS reviewer who is (IMO) unduly hard on Nintendo (I'm thinking of the Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon review last year).

I don't know where it is... There have been a ridiculous amount of TF threads since the game was announced I wouldn't even know where to look.

Deku Tree

It is recent and it was locked. Just search for the games name. I found it quickly. Hard to repost the link though on iPhone.

I love the title of this OT! Really can't wait for the game. I feel like it's going to be a real treat to play. Only a few more days to go!

Oidisco

I dunno, I don't think GS is harder on Nintendo than any other site. And I honestly hated Dark Moon after being so hyped for it, but that's just me and the GS reviewer apparently.

I will say that if he does review the game he should seriously avoid talking about his disappointment in Retro making another DK. I can understand him wanting them to make something different (I felt that way too for a while), but that shit absolutely does not belong in a review of a game.
Same with reviews that say that "X game won't save the Wii U". That really pisses me off.

Aaaanyways, I gotta say I'm waaaay more hyped for this game than I thought I would be. After I heard some music from the soundtrack, it completely changed my whole view of the game. What once seemed rather boring to me suddenly seemed like the most exciting and incredible design I've seen in a 2D platformer!

Top Bottom