• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

I can't stop doing Time Trials! At this rate I'll never progress in the game haha. At least I got very good times in 1-1 and 1-2 (rank 11 in 1-2!). Any Gaffer doing Time Trials? It'd be cool to have some in my friend list to compare times :p

At the moment I'm the number 5 of the world in 1-1

This game has probably one of the best level designs I've seen so far, it's a joy to play this game.

I can't stop doing Time Trials! At this rate I'll never progress in the game haha. At least I got very good times in 1-1 and 1-2 (rank 11 in 1-2!). Any Gaffer doing Time Trials? It'd be cool to have some in my friend list to compare times :p
I was #29 in 1-1 yesterday, played it like two hours. xD

But I'm #1 in 4-2 worldwide :D

It's very addicting.

Finally beat that island two boss!

First time I got killed. Stepped back awhile, took a deep breath, and tried again hours later.

Beat it!

That's all it takes. Patience, memorization, and try not to get frustrated or lose your temper!

Great bosses so far!

Wow, too good mate! Did you unlock anything cool? And can you check if you can play through normal mode with DD, DX or CK?

Actually yeah, some of the concept art I unlocked was of various kremlin redesigns. Maybe they'll make it for the next game?

jk, images were nothing special

No "restart from last checkpoint" option is starting to piss me off. Especially when you miss some collectibles and you have to kill yourself to restart. Wtf is this shit. Patch this.

mf luder

Actually yeah, some of the concept art I unlocked was of various kremlin redesigns. Maybe they'll make it for the next game?

jk, images were nothing special

I'm good enough to 100% but hard mode is out of my league, hopefully somebody will post all the stuff you unlock at some point but I don't want to see it until I've got all I can get myself.

It actually really baffles me that people aren't buying the Wii U when it has this, 3D World, Pikmin, Wonderful 101 and soon to be Smash and Mario Kart on it.

I don't mean to say anything about the PS4 or One but this system already has a handful of absolute must-have games on it!

Whoops I'm a bit drunk but this actually is strange to me that the Wii U is still cited as a failure of a system when it already has some of the best games of gen VIIII on it

Clopezi

Funny thing.

Same monitor, same configuration. I post a picture of the game to Twitter and it looks beatiful, full of colours. However, i see the colours washed out in the WiiU game, with very poor gamma.

Why Nintendo doesn't allow to output RGB complete range or maybe change the gamma and other colours settings?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My only complaint so far:

They botched the "success" music after a bonus stage.

Don't mess with perfection.

matthwq

Banned
Almost finished with World 2 and all I have to say is that the Crumble Cavern and Alpine Incline were absolutely amazing levels in level design and in visuals/audio...oh man this game is god tier isn't it? never doubt Retro people, never.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01aesbu.jpg

So good. <3

So fucking beautiful.

Going to go pick up the discounted eShop cards at Best Buy today and download Tropical Freeze with that and my $5 DDP rewards. Long two-day wait that is finally over!

Bollocks to secret exits, I hate them, fuck Super Mario World for making this a thing in Nintendo's platformers, I just want to play new stages dammit!
My snooping skills are failing me in the later worlds, I don't want to play deep keep again!

Xtortionist/Owl/anybody, favorite world?
I think it has to be between 3's parade of varied awesomeness and 5's sublime jungle levels. 6 gives them a run for its money though, with the most levels, many of which are very good.

I might be leaning 5, I can't say enough nice things about that world. I was thinking it be a generic jungle or sorts, but it shocked me by being this DKC3 style combination of nature and machinery. Great visuals, lot of clever gimmicks, some awesome tracks...easily the best rocket barrel level between both games.
I'll have to get back to you when I've finally found these smelly exits but as for your choice
I couldn't help but get those Planet Wisp feelings seeing the mix of greenery and machinery. What I really dig about World 5 is how the progression of stages matches up with the juicing process, you start off in the harvesting stage, you enter the fruit slicing factory and then the juice depository (also being a half water stage of course) and this juice ends up as like Ice Lollies, it's stuff like this that makes the worlds truly come alive.

The song Funky Waters just may be one of the best songs ive ever heard in a video game, period.

The way Wise captures the characteristics of the kongs, in synth form, is a one of a kind taste.

yes, i think its better than Aquatic Ambiance
The spoiler is correct.

It is done.

At the moment I'm the number 5 of the world in 1-1
We've got some crazy fellas up in this thread, they are more Kong than man.

Music seemed to be mixed lower than the sound effects so I've been turning the sound effects down to 70 and leaving music at 100 and then turning the volume on the speakers high. Makes the music stand out more.

phanphare

Banned
Music seemed to be mixed lower than the sound effects so I've been turning the sound effects down to 70 and leaving music at 100 and then turning the volume on the speakers high. Makes the music stand out more.

1. Sound Effects 35, Music 100
2. Sound System
3. ??????
4. Profit

Boss 4 is clearly the worst yet, omg. The last part is brutal

Edit: okay fuck this, this is ridiculous. Now we're reaching DKCR level of frustration.

Edit2: Fuck yeah, done!

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Remember when you were a kid and you would stamp your feet when mad, that's me right now playing this game. What a game, love it.

Just started this morning with my son. Amazing so far - loved Busted Bayou and the first minecart level. I'm Kong and my 9 year old is fucking Kranky
in real life too

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Seems like the general consensus is that this game is significantly better than Returns. I'm not sure I agree.

Why do you guys think that? That notable improvements I can tell from Returns is: Gamepad/Pro support, better music and better graphics (not really Return's fault there).

Holy shit, this is the best game I've played since... The Wonderful 101. So much fun. Challenging without being frustrating, it really is beautifully designed.

Terxus

Neo Member
Seems like the general consensus is that this game is significantly better than Returns. I'm not sure I agree.

Why do you guys think that? That notable improvements I can tell from Returns is: Gamepad/Pro support, better music and better graphics (not really Return's fault there).

The boss battles are definitily an improvement over Returns as well.

Son Of D

Buying this on Tuesday, just got to wait until then. On a side note, I just saw an advert (or commercial to those in the US) on Sky Family HD in the UK. That's one of few ads for a Wii U game I've seen here.

K' Dash

3-1 has to be one of the most beautiful levels to ever grace a platformer, oh my GOD! The eargasm, the tight controls the way everything dances to the Godly soundtrack the athmosphere and the scenery, I can't believe what they pulled off.

Retro, you've done it AGAIN.

5-K, Oh man, FIVEFUCKINGKAY.
What a stage, the hairs were growing on my chest as I progressed, when I finally emerged victorious I was at Ape levels of hairiness. Stage was nails in the best way possible, playing 5-K hits home my thought that anyone who complains that this games controls are unresponsive or such are out of their mind, you may not like it, perhaps you can't deal with it yourself but unresponsive controls they are not.

What level/song is that? looked everywhere but couldn't find it.
It's the sound test name for Amiss Abyss.
Why the sound test only has four songs from a world is beyond me, especially when they keep taking up a slot with rocket barrel music.

Significantly better? not quite that much of a leap, they're close and I need to digest on this before handing down my final verdict but I'm leaning in favour of Tropical Freeze.

Is there another world full of minecart levels, like the first game? I absolutely love them. Seen two so far, and I'm looking forward to more.

How many minecart levels are there in total?

MrBadger

I think Tropical Freeze is better because it's basically more of Returns, but with the advantages of being on superior hardware, David Wise and bosses that aren't awful. It's not a big leap over the first one like DKC2, just because Returns was already great and didn't need any design changes to improve it, barring the motion control.

I'd say you're reading the general consensus in a weird way. Seems to me that most people think TF improves upon Returns in some great ways, and therefore edges out its predecessor.

Yuterald

So, I've gotten a bit more familiar with the mechanics now and I think I've found my groove with the Time Attack mode. I've got 3 Shiny Golds down in the first world (lol, long way to go!). It may be my imagination, but they seem a bit easier (so far) to obtain than in the original. That could be because I've done this shit before though. I definitely have a natural affinity/eye for when it comes to stage flow/cutting corners in these games. As Retro meticulously did in the first game, stages seem designed around Time Attack mode, right down to specifics like enemy/platform placement. However, they could also be more manageable now because there are videos to watch on the fly (which I will admit, I have looked at a few to see how some of the top players are getting higher positions). It's a lot easier to check out a video from the menu instead of huddling over your laptop to watch the scarce few who had the time/dedication to record/capture their footage. I'm trying not to watch videos too much though as the fun/reward comes from learning/breaking down the stages on your own. I did pick up on a few things from other people so far that I had no idea you could do in relation to cutting time:

-If you have a buddy and you're rolling, you can skip/bounce across water if you continuously roll off a platform into the water.

-For mine cart stages; it seems like you can "improve" the speed of your cart by jumping constantly. That's at least how I got my Shiny in the canopy stage in world 1.

As for the game itself, yeah, this is just another example of refined, polished and perfected level design. I can't imagine the play testing that much be done during development. These stages are just designed so tightly and are woven together so meticulously, I can't imagine the process. Time Attack, again, brings out the best in its level design showcasing how much emphasis there is down to the little things like enemy placement/patterns. It really is on a whole different evel than most platformers.

I really, really like these Retro DK games, but I will admit that I still feel like something is missing from them. It's hard to describe, but I still find something a bit more appealing (aesthetically/atmospherically?) about Rare's games, I don't know. I miss the darker, more grittier vibe. I'm only on world 2 so far and I'm waiting for that "serious" DK moment, if you know what I mean. Wise's compositions are good and everything so far, but it's all way too upbeat/jazzy for me. There are a few tracks I'm digging, but overall, up to world 2, I haven't found what I'm looking/hoping to hear yet. I guess you could also say that I feel like these games are almost too perfect, almost too refined, in some respects. But it's like a different kind of perfect that's not necessarily always a good thing, you know what I mean? It's hard to describe.

Top Bottom