• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

I really, really like these Retro DK games, but I will admit that I still feel like something is missing from them. It's hard to describe, but I still find something a bit more appealing (aesthetically/atmospherically?) about Rare's games, I don't know. I miss the darker, more grittier vibe. I'm only on world 2 so far and I'm waiting for that "serious" DK moment, if you know what I mean.

Yeah, that does happen eventually, in
World 4

I guess you could also say that I feel like these games are almost too perfect, almost too refined, in some respects. But it's like a different kind of perfect that's not necessarily always a good thing, you know what I mean? It's hard to describe.

This is where you lose me, as I don't believe such a thing even exists.

I can't stop listening to Busted Bayou. It's so good.

I listen to it while working. XD

MYE

Sure, I'm from Germany, so I ordered at Otto.de with a 5% coupon + for new customers, a 15€ voucher. With sending it to a Hermes shop i also got rid of the delivery costs --> bam 31€

ahh, I was hoping for a UK import site deal or something :(

Why the fuck is there STILL not a restart level option restart checkpoint option, and bonus rooms are inaccessible after failing them? Having to suicide, or worse yet, quit the level and restart is BULLSHIT. Especially with the load times as long as they are.

This is game design 101. Make the game intuitive and as easy to play as possible. This was a problem in the original; there's no excuse for it this time round.

btkadams

Why the fuck is there STILL not a restart level option restart checkpoint option, and bonus rooms are inaccessible after failing them? Having to suicide, or worse yet, quit the level and restart is BULLSHIT. Especially with the load times as long as they are.

This is game design 101. Make the game intuitive and as easy to play as possible. This was a problem in the original; there's no excuse for it this time round.
Yup. The lack of a restart option is really stupid.

Does this game support the Wii Classic Controller?

0000486_wii_classic_controller_white.jpeg

maxcriden

We're at 5-1 now. For some reason I kept dying on this level last night when playing it. I don't think it's actually that hard of a level compared to the others, I think I was just super-tired when beating it. I was very proud of my wife for beating the World 4 boss, that looked really tough.

Lijik

Anybody else feel like TF hands out banana coins more easily than DKCR?

It definitely does. By the end of a world in DKCR i typically only had 30-50 more coins, and thats if I was going out of my way to collect them. In TF I dont really try and come out at the end of a world with around 200.

jts

...hate me...
I own a bunch of Wii U games, this one may be my favourite so far, got damn. So good...

Dat 1-K.

Conezays

Haha, after I finish the game/get the secret levels I plan to do a pretty serious attempt at some speedruns. Let the games begin, GAF!

100% obtained, Hard mode Dixie and Cranky Kong mode unlocked!
The lack of checkpoints will do my nut but never mind that, I can now witness all of the unique animations for partner Kongs that are criminally unavailable outside of multiplayer otherwise, Dixie Kong is the best (though Cranky is probably the most fun).

JoeFenix

About to start 3-3 and I have 974 banana coins...guess I better start buying figurines.

Get ready to mash A for an hour, it doesn't seem like you can skip the whole process so they make you sit through the little capsule animation for every single one of them.

You're gonna have 200 of them to open, enjoy!

Get ready to mash A for an hour, it doesn't seem like you can skip the whole process so they make you sit through the little capsule animation for every single one of them.

You're gonna have 200 of them to open, enjoy!

Surprisingly it's far from the worst capsule machine I've had to deal with in a new game from this February, it's pretty quick all things considered.

Been replaying both DKC2 and DKCR over the week-end while I'm awaiting for my copy to arrive tomorrow.

DKC2 is quite harder than I remembered. Maybe my skills are faltering, but I raged at that one boss (Giant Bee). Atmosphere is still top notch, but I can't wait to experience modern David Wise!

botty

Banned
The final boss is one of the worst experiences I've had in my recent gaming endeavors. It's a difficult boss fight, yes, but that isn't my problem with it. Spoilers:
Once you get to the ice sections, the boss becomes tedious and fluffed: if you miss one hit, you have to wait through the long process of the penguin throwing, the ice dragon dodging, and then the wonky hit boxed charging. Timing is key, yet it isn't always precise... for me at least. Might have been because I used the Wii U pad because I never had this issue with the Wii mote. It took me a long time to beat this boss, because the trial and error style was expanded by tedious transitions and very small attack windows. It may sound strange, but I found the 3rd section of this fight to be the easiest due to there being two charging sections instead of one, and so if you missed one of the three opportunities the first time, you were given an additional three more chances.

Moving on from that fight, this is one of my favorite platformers of all time. The music, levels, and gameplay were all well crafted. Hoping for another sequel.

I have every shiny gold up to this point, getting this one isn't going to be easy.

Nihashing's world record speedrun on that level is amazing.
Are you getting shiny gold as you go? I have been getting the Gold medals as I go but I don't think I have it in me to go for shinies yet. Figured I'd go back through the game a second time to go for shinies later.

Conezays

Are you getting shiny gold as you go? I have been getting the Gold medals as I go but I don't think I have it in me to go for shinies yet. Figured I'd go back through the game a second time to go for shinies later.

Could you elaborate on this more? In spoilers if applicable? It was my understanding that the letters (KONG) and puzzle pieces are the only permanent collectables you obtain each level (excluding Banana coins).

Top Bottom