• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

JoeFenix

It's crazy to see how many more people seem to be going for Shiny Golds this time around!

Seemed like there were only a couple of us doing it when Returns came out but now it's a much bigger deal, pretty cool :)

I'll definitely dig in after I'm done with this Hard Mode playthrough!

Do you lose banana coins or anything else when you see a "game over" screen?

Haven't seen one yet actually....my lives got into the 90s and haven't dipped lower than that since. (Not saying I am that good, but the game is generous with Iives even on the difficult levels like 2-k so far.)

Are you getting shiny gold as you go? I have been getting the Gold medals as I go but I don't think I have it in me to go for shinies yet. Figured I'd go back through the game a second time to go for shinies later.

So far I've been going for shinies as I go, but after world 1 I may dial it back a bit and leave it for a replay. They're incredibly rewarding though, and going for them is where a lot of appeal in the game lies for me, even though it's all-around fantastic and would be enjoyable even without time attack.

The Boat

For those having trouble getting the timing right for jumping high on enemies, namely in 2-K, here's the trick if you haven't figured out:
once DK is descending press and hold A and voilá!
. Sorry if already mentioned,

Conezays

Haven't seen one yet actually....my lives got into the 90s and haven't dipped lower than that since. (Not saying I am that good, but the game is generous with Iives even on the difficult levels like 2-k so far.)

You do not lose Banana Coins. As a sort of "trick," when I had one life left with my friend, I would kill self to restore lives to 4 balloons and then hit up Funky's shop for the maximum amount of Red balloons.

jts

...hate me...
Time attacks are harder than I was expecting. First time I tried I didn't even rank (by less than 5 seconds, but still). And that's on 1-1.

There's a looong road ahead to complete this game.

Each world has been so crammed with detail and atmosphere that I'm already looking forward to replaying levels for KONG letters to see everything I missed the first time.

The game really starts to build identity in World 2 and has so many good stages. 2-2, 2-3, Alpine Incline and Wing Ding(last regular stage, if that's wrong) were all just incredible. I had a tough time with the boss, surprisingly. Must've blown through 5-7 lives there. Then World 3 was even better. During 3-1 I was thinking, "Wow, and this is the first stage..." Scorch & Torch, along with the storm stage...amazing. The boss felt much easier than W2 and took me two tries because I completely dropped the ball on something easy.

Just played 4-1 and 4-2. Aquatic Ambience remix is fantastic. Can someone point me to the secret exit in 4-1(Deep Keep)? I played through the stage twice and didn't see it. On my second try I took Dixie so I could swim backwards in case I missed it. Got the puzzle piece at the end then swam backwards but I lost her before I could get back through the strong current section.

I'd love to see a nighttime silhouette savannah stage with big cats/predators and sections of total jungle darkness where eyes/flashing claws/fangs serve as attack warnings.

mstevens

Picked this up day 1 to support the launch, even though I'm deep in a few other games right now and won't be able to put some real time into it for awhile. I did play the first 4 levels, though, and it is amazing. I was already impressed by the soundtrack, but these songs sound even better in context.

JoeFenix

I guess Returns was DK only and 1 heart as well now that I think about it but you had checkpoints and you didn't need to collect the KONG letters again.

It really makes all the difference to me, the lack of checkpoint surprised me in a good way!

FINALLY found the last puzzle piece in 3A after three hours of searching. I now have the first four islands all levels cleared with all collectables (I won't touch time trials until I beat the game and then hard mode). Anyways, I've been giving impressions after each island and I'll continue with the fourth.

I went in expecting to like this island quite a bit as I've never had a problem with water levels in general, which is contrary to most, and I wasn't wrong. First I want to say that
High Tide Ride
was simply amazing. When I played
Saw Mill Thrill
I was thinking it would be very difficult to topt that, but I think they did. It might be the best mine cart level in the series. Initially I was disappointed that the dynamic camera was used so rarely, but I understand that since it only makes the occasional appearance, the impact is much higher, and this level is proof of that. I think one of the things that TF has going for it over DKCR is the variety, and the swimming levels are definitely a big part of it.
Irate Eight
was definitely another highlight because even though it is a swimming level the action feels as furious as any level. And dat sublime fusion of Lockjaw Saga and Aquatic Ambience.

And there there is
Amiss Abyss
. That level might have the best audiovisual combination of any level in the whole series. The K level was fantastic too... I probably died about 25 times before clearing it, but I loved every second... Just a great design. I could go on... All the levels on this island were just really fun and a great change of pace. I still don't feel that the boss fights are anything to special, but if anything they are an improvement over DKCR in design and challenge, and just feeling more epic overall. I've been trying to take my time with this game but it's hard to stop playing! On to island 5!

Just played 4-1 and 4-2. Aquatic Ambience remix is fantastic. Can someone point me to the secret exit in 4-1(Deep Keep)? I played through the stage twice and didn't see it.

You need to
backtrack at some point. I don't remember where it is exactly but there's a section where a part of the ceiling is moving and you can see an electric current going through it (the way it moves makes it stand out). After that point you open up a path by touching three lights, but if you do that and go back instead of going forward, the ceiling will have fallen off. I think you need Dixie to reach the actual exit though.

maxcriden

Just played 4-1 and 4-2. Aquatic Ambience remix is fantastic. Can someone point me to the secret exit in 4-1(Deep Keep)? I played through the stage twice and didn't see it. On my second try I took Dixie so I could swim backwards in case I missed it. Got the puzzle piece at the end then swam backwards but I lost her before I could get back through the strong current section.

I think I saw someone say there is no secret exit in that level. (ETA: based on the post above me, it seems like I'm wrong abut this and might be thinking of something else--sorry abut the misinformation!)

I guess Returns was DK only and 1 heart as well now that I think about it but you had checkpoints and you didn't need to collect the KONG letters again.

It really makes all the difference to me, the lack of checkpoint surprised me in a good way!

FWIW, IIRC you could collect KONG in Mirror Mode and it gave you similarly blue letters.

100% obtained, Hard mode Dixie and Cranky Kong mode unlocked!
The lack of checkpoints will do my nut but never mind that, I can now witness all of the unique animations for partner Kongs that are criminally unavailable outside of multiplayer otherwise, Dixie Kong is the best (though Cranky is probably the most fun).

I was originally intending to do hard mode as DK only to give myself the highest possible challenge, but I think I will try out all the characters simply because I want to see their animations. That is how high the quality of animation is in this game. I guess it helps that the original animation team going back to the original Metroid Prime is still in tact at Retro.

d00d3n

Does anyone else get annoying lag when maps are loaded? I tried searching, but found nothing. When the maps are loaded, everything runs just fine, but I get a horrible lag every time kong runs across the screen in the "loading map" screen. The game is downloaded, and runs from the internal storage on my wiiu, which makes it even weirder that I get lag. Anyone else running from internal storage who has experienced something similar?

Sickbean

Game really is pure magic.

Couple of questions -

1. Do I need to get gold on all time trials to 100% the game?

2. I found 1-K fairly hard (took me about 10 goes). Have I got any chance of 100% the game?

Does anyone else get annoying lag when maps are loaded? I tried searching, but found nothing. When the maps are loaded, everything runs just fine, but I get a horrible lag every time kong runs across the screen in the "loading map" screen. The game is downloaded, and runs from the internal storage on my wiiu, which makes it even weirder that I get lag. Anyone else running from internal storage who has experienced something similar?

Yes it's annoying, but if that's the price I have to pay for the game itself to run as flawlessly as it does I will pay it.

Ahhh, so the disc version performs worse during actual gameplay?

No, I'm saying both disc and download versions have the load screen stuttering, but both run absolutely flawlessly during the actual game. I'm saying the stuttering is worth it if it means the levels themselves run as buttery smooth as they do.

Zing

Banned
Ahhh, so the disc version performs worse during actual gameplay?
Benchmarks show that the internal storage has roughly the same data throughput as the disc drive. You'd need to have a very fast external drive to see any decrease in load times, and games that stutter when loading (for example, ZombiU), show the same stuttering with disc and downloaded versions. It's just inherent in the game's code.

PS: There is occasional load screen stuttering in the Wii game as well. Hell, it even happens in Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Kinsei

Banned
Looking through the concept art I've unlocked has made me wish that both Sea Breeze Cove and Juicy Jungle had one more level. The prototype Amiss Abyss and "Pig City" look like they would have been really fun.

jnWake

Managed to get rank #4 in stage 1-A. I bet in a couple weeks my time will be like #100 haha. If any other TT fan wants to add me, my NNID is in my profile!

Cranky is necessary to have the most fun with level 3-2. I love Cranky's cane.

He's really my go-to-guy in the game.

They all control very well and their abilities are all mechanically sound but something about Cranky and his technique.

I wasn't sure how he would control even after watching videos but I really like how his moveset is simple but takes plenty of skill.

Someone wondered if you could just hold down the button for his pogoing but that would have erased what makes him so cool.

Esque7

Slightly related, but I think that retro would be great at hiding power-ups in a 2D Metroid, given how well the puzzle pieces are hidden in this game.

d00d3n

No, I'm saying both disc and download versions have the load screen stuttering, but both run absolutely flawlessly during the actual game. I'm saying the stuttering is worth it if it means the levels themselves run as buttery smooth as they do.

Benchmarks show that the internal storage has roughly the same data throughput as the disc drive. You'd need to have a very fast external drive to see any decrease in load times, and games that stutter when loading (for example, ZombiU), show the same stuttering with disc and downloaded versions. It's just inherent in the game's code.

PS: There is occasional load screen stuttering in the Wii game as well. Hell, it even happens in Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Thanks

Gilby

Just started playing this today, World 2 and everything forward so far have amazing art direction and music. 3-1 was fantastic.

thomaser

3-1 has to be one of the most beautiful levels to ever grace a platformer, oh my GOD! The eargasm, the tight controls the way everything dances to the Godly soundtrack the athmosphere and the scenery, I can't believe what they pulled off.

Retro, you've done it AGAIN.

Yeah! Just played that stage for the first time, and had to quit afterwards because the next stage couldn't possibly be as good. 3-1 has to be the happiest stage in a videogame ever. Made me happy, that's for sure!

DirtyLarry

I swear I read it somewhere in the thread and cannot find it now, on level 3-1, Grassland Groove, what is the song that is being "covered?" I swear it is some type of heavy metal song, but I cannot pinpoint it and it is driving me bonkers. Super infectious heavy groove towards the end of the level especially.

Seriously I repurchased a Wii U specifically for this game and I could not be more satisfied. Thing is 20 years ago I was obsessed with the original DCKR, so this is just nothing but a hugely satisfying trip down memory lane for myself.

I am truly dumbfounded that people can even be critical of the graphics. No aliasing and muddy textures? Bad lighting? Blah Blah Tech Spec Blah? Seriously?? I truly have to wonder to myself why you even bother playing video games if something like either of the above would somehow diminish your overall experience with this game. Sincerely even if the graphics are not anything to write home about compared to other games today, to even point the fact out is truly and utterly ridiculous. This game oozes charm. It's art direction is phenomenal. If you play this game and think about how it has bad graphics do yourself a favor and stop playing video games. You clearly do not appreciate them for what they are and are obsessed with what they could or should be. It's a damn shame.

I got shivers down my spine the first listening to the track at 6-1. Fun thing is, I already had listened it before I played that particular level but it just hit me so hard with all its power.

What game this is. What a wonderful thing to be a gamer. Good times.

Vlade

Beat the first few levels, I'm really digging this game. Looks like it stays pretty awesome throughout judging from this thread.

Played it first with the Wii remote only and did not like how everything went, I really hate the motion controlled stuff. Especially after playing DKC:R on the 3DS. That said I will eventually get a pro controller but I just used the standard Gamepad and it went much better, I felt more in control.

I'm a few levels in and it's been a blast and I love how long the levels are. The music is in a league of its own. Loving it, so sad won't see another Wii U game until May :(

mf luder

No, it wouldn't make sense with the way the buddy system is implemented.

All the coop animations are dependent on someone being Donkey Kong.

If it works in single player on hard mode it shouldn't be a problem in normal mode. I'll just have to play co-op and let dk die.

JoeFenix

If it works in single player on hard mode it shouldn't be a problem in normal mode. I'll just have to play co-op and let dk die.

I guess they could have let you select a character in Normal but disable the buddy barrels like they do on Hard mode.

I kinda like that it's exclusive to Hard Mode, gives you a reason to unlock it!

Top Bottom