• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze: Review Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 125677
  • Start date

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The horn is emblematic of a Nintendo that pushes ideas without a single compelling gameplay concept to back them up. A horn on a screen could be a silly, fun bonus. But is it worth betting all of Nintendo's relevance in the console space on the GamePad if their best idea is a horn?

NeoGAF is a forum that discusses the video game industry as well as the games. The horn is the epitome of Nintendo's failures to identify trends and contribute in ways that are genuinely driving forward gameplay, such as unequivocally embracing online play. The horn is them forcing a valueless proposition like the GamePad instead of responding to consumer demands.

The horn is more than a horn.

Honestly, you sound like one of the people that just needs to honk the horn instead of overthinking what it does.

..well said. Really, there is nothing that can be added.

I understand what the poster you quoted was trying to say, "lets just shut up and enjoy the games", its hard to disagree with this, games are supposed to be fun.
But that horn is not "free", it represents the lack of ideas Nintendo as a whole has had for this console, the GamePad on which that horn is slapped on represents a decent chunk of the cost for both consumers and for how much Nintendo can sell the console for.

Nintendo Land and Zombi U made great use of the Game Pad though, and Pikmin 3 was pretty good as well. But overall I am inclined to agree.

The horn is emblematic of a Nintendo that pushes ideas without a single compelling gameplay concept to back them up. A horn on a screen could be a silly, fun bonus. But is it worth betting all of Nintendo's relevance in the console space on the GamePad if their best idea is a horn?

NeoGAF is a forum that discusses the video game industry as well as the games. The horn is the epitome of Nintendo's failures to identify trends and contribute in ways that are genuinely driving forward gameplay, such as unequivocally embracing online play. The horn is them forcing a valueless proposition like the GamePad instead of responding to consumer demands.

They already said they were experimenting with the Gamepad, even mentioned a Double Dash mode that is possible.

Jumping the gun is more than jumping the gun.

don't worry, Iwata said they will be doubling down on the Gamepad. So after DK, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and Bayonetta, they'll be double the Gamepad features

check that box

Why are we all focusing on the horn for MK, when we have no idea of what other ideas theyll implement into the final game?

When MK releases, itll be almost a year, since they've shown the horn in MK, at e3.

guek

Banned

How convenient that your argument is predicated on the notion that the gamepad's only use is that of a ancillary throwaway feature. While the gamepad was a poor design decision, the horn does not represent what you're claiming. It's just a way of simplifying the design philosophy of the gamepad in order to create the impression of nintendo being even more incompetent than they actually are. The idea of the gamepad misread the market to be sure but the concept behind it encapsulates far more than just a horn on a screen.

That's cool, so don't do it in the fucking donkey kong threads

The entire problem the poster had was that the reviewers, instead of talking about the games, were letting their adoration to shove in industry politics take over. You entirely missed the forest for the trees with this post. You did the exact thing he complained about.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
But is it worth betting all of Nintendo's relevance in the console space on the GamePad if their best idea is a horn?

Nintendo has already done the dual-screen thing. They've been doing it for almost a decade. The "it uses a second touch screen" paradigm has already been expressed in virtually all of their franchises. For Mario Kart, MK8 is the third dual-screen game in the series. This is not the title where they say "behold, the astonishing benefits of this second screen!" Its use in the franchise is well established.

Nintendo has hard-sold the GamePad, and continues to do so, primarily as an off-screen play enabler. Every time Iwata or Miyamoto bring it up, they are happy to do so almost exclusively in the context of off-screen play. Realistically, this is what they want to convince people has value.

Now whether they've done that or not, or whether certain people will care no matter how hard Nintendo tries, is another topic entirely. Mario Kart 8 is just another dual-screen Mario Kart, but with a greater emphasis on the ability to use the GamePad like you could use the Wii Wheel, so the horn is a nice perk for that control scheme. There may be some nice GamePad-screen stuff in other parts of the software, who knows. But this is not the title where Nintendo leverages the GamePad in a bid to solidify their "relevance in the console space." This is the third in a string of dual-screen Mario Karts and is a very known quantity.

Sometimes a horn really is just a horn.

Exile20

Let me just talk about that horn for a second, since you've brought it up. Even disregarding the fact that we've seen the course map and standings down there and the horn is an alternate view... what's so wrong with the horn? It's silly, it's fun. "Horn in the middle of your motion controlled wheel, like a real wheel, neat! Honk honk!" When they put it on there I bet they thought "he he how silly" and considered it a fun little thing to go along with the main actual game content of "steer your cart while looking at the TV." A very Nintendo-esque little bonus. Turning the motion-controlled gamepad a little bit more into an actual steering wheel. And this innocent little fucking thing has turned into a rallying cry for total shitcocks across the internet to mock the system for not being "properly utilized" or some crap.

When did we become so joyless? What's so wrong with a horn? Why are we analyzing every little stupid thing and determining whether or not it represents a proper exercising of system resources or blah blah blah? Just honk the fucking horn and smile, goddamn it!

This better be the OT title.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I honestly expected 5's to 7's... being a sequel, being nintendo and being wiiU.

I was gonna buy it eventually, but now I'm actually excited enough to get it on Day 1.

You thought a Retro game was going to get bad scores? They are one of the best developers in the world.

Avoiding video reviews! Platformers are all about the surprise and seeing the breathtaking levels for the first time!

IGN says this is about 13hrs long. How long was the first one?

Gsnap

I understand what the poster you quoted was trying to say, "lets just shut up and enjoy the games", its hard to disagree with this, games are supposed to be fun.
But that horn is not "free", it represents the lack of ideas Nintendo as a whole has had for this console, the GamePad on which that horn is slapped on represents a decent chunk of the cost for both consumers and for how much Nintendo can sell the console for.

Perhaps if the horn was the only thing. The gamepad can also display the map and I believe it can show what items the other racers have. One of the buttons on the gamepad allows you to switch between traditional controls and gyro controls on the fly. (with the regular wiimote you're stuck with one or the other)

So the Gamepad does..

1. Horn
  2. Map
  3. Racer Position/Items
  4. Motion controls

So, of the things we know about right now, the Gamepad is doing four things that a regular controller can't do. And these things should, theoretically, clear up the game's hud so you get a nicer picture on the tv.

Sounds pretty nice to me.

And then of course there are the unknowns. We haven't heard anything of battle modes or any other modes the game might have. We all know how Nintendo disperses information. They do nothing until shortly before release and then give an explosion of new information, it's very much possible that there are things the gamepad does that we don't know of yet.

But even if there aren't, it already does a decent number of things that a regular controller can't do. And like the other poster said, sometimes it's best to just accept fun for fun's sake.

As for Donkey Kong... yeah, I'd prefer if they would have had some form of menu navigation on the gamepad, but at the same time, it just doesn't matter for this game.

Let me just talk about that horn for a second, since you've brought it up. Even disregarding the fact that we've seen the course map and standings down there and the horn is an alternate view... what's so wrong with the horn? It's silly, it's fun. "Horn in the middle of your motion controlled wheel, like a real wheel, neat! Honk honk!" When they put it on there I bet they thought "he he how silly" and considered it a fun little thing to go along with the main actual game content of "steer your cart while looking at the TV." A very Nintendo-esque little bonus. Turning the motion-controlled gamepad a little bit more into an actual steering wheel. And this innocent little fucking thing has turned into a rallying cry for total shitcocks across the internet to mock the system for not being "properly utilized" or some crap.

When did we become so joyless? What's so wrong with a horn? Why are we analyzing every little stupid thing and determining whether or not it represents a proper exercising of system resources or blah blah blah? Just honk the fucking horn and smile, goddamn it!

10/10 bananas

Exile20

What a load of crap. Not every game should use the gamepad alike not every Wii game should use motion controls.

I am not sure you have a Wii U but off tv play is fucking great.

What video games/mechanics do you actually like? Or is your only joy in life shitting up every single Nintendo thread with armchair Pachtering?

The_Lump

Banned
So to summarise: it's pretty darn brilliant.... unless you don't like it because reasons; in which case you it's rubbish.

You can paste this into any review thread where a game has averaged above 7/10

Porcile

Avoiding video reviews! Platformers are all about the surprise and seeing the breathtaking levels for the first time!

IGN says this is about 13hrs long. How long was the first one?

Is that 13 hours as in 'SM3DW is 8 hours long because I just played through the game as fast as I could'? or is that 13 hours the length without blasting through the game and completing the post-game content content?

Into

Perhaps if the horn was the only thing. The gamepad can also display the map and I believe it can show what items the other racers have. One of the buttons on the gamepad allows you to switch between traditional controls and gyro controls on the fly. (with the regular wiimote you're stuck with one or the other)

So the Gamepad does..

1. Horn
  2. Map
  3. Racer Position/Items
  4. Motion controls

So, of the things we know about right now, the Gamepad is doing four things that a regular controller can't do. And these things should, theoretically, clear up the game's hud so you get a nicer picture on the tv.

Sounds pretty nice to me.

And then of course there are the unknowns. We haven't heard anything of battle modes or any other modes the game might have. We all know how Nintendo disperses information. They do nothing until shortly before release and then give an explosion of new information, it's very much possible that there are things the gamepad does that we don't know of yet.

But even if there aren't, it already does a decent number of things that a regular controller can't do. And like the other poster said, sometimes it's best to just accept fun for fun's sake.

As for Donkey Kong... yeah, I'd prefer if they would have had some form of menu navigation on the gamepad, but at the same time, it just doesn't matter for this game.

Hmm good point(s). Because while those things seem minor in the grand scheme of things, there is also a limit what you can do with a second screen for a 2D esque platformer.

We all (pretty much ALL OF US) hated the forced waggle in Donkey Kong Country Returns, a case of Wiimote and motion gaming being forced on Donkey Kong.

It would suck if this happened again, if you had to use the second screen to perform even the most basic of moves, say tapping on the GamePad to smash the ground or do a roll motion on the controller to make DK roll.

Is that 13 hours as in 'SM3DW is 8 hours long because I just played through the game as fast as I could'? or is that 13 hours the length without blasting through the game and completing the post-game content content?
I don't know. They just it took 13hrs to explore the island.

Into

What a load of crap. Not every game should use the gamepad alike not every Wii game should use motion controls.

I am not sure you have a Wii U but off tv play is fucking great.

The Wii U GamePad is not cheap to manufacture. So its not "a load of crap", its a big part of the system and its cost (and its failure, which is another topic all combined)

I dont buy consoles to play them on a small screen, i buy them to play them on my big TV, otherwise i would just play games on my 3DS, but glad you are enjoying the feature.

Vanille

I dont think you understand what "old-school" means.

Any gimmickry would be a distraction from the point of the game.

This is seriously the excuse we're rolling with now? Good god.

Yes, it's clearly not a lack of inspiration or creativity. Gotta capture them old skool vibes.

Yes, it's clearly not a lack of inspiration or creativity. Gotta capture them old skool vibes.

Excuse? It's the entire fucking point.

Donkey Kong Country Returns.

As in a Return to Donkey Kong Country.

So, yeah, it's trying to be old school.

You should probably not try to criticize a game's design if you can't even understand the title.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.

I agree. Very well written.

Oidisco

Maybe. And if we hear of some logical reason that nothing is on the screen, then I could probably change my tone on that aspect.

I figured that the reason they left the screen blank is mostly for battery life. I imagine keeping it blank and with no sound would increase battery by a decent amount. And when using the TV, some people see the gamepad screen as a distraction since you can see it in the corner of your eye, sorta like the DS4 light complaints (though not as big an issue as DS4). That's not something that bothers me, but I've seen it mentioned enough times that it wouldn't surprise me if that factored into Retro's decision.

It's not really a big deal anyway, the game wasn't designed to use the Gamepad in some special way and shoe-horning it in would probably be annoying. Some people really didn't like the Gamepad-required levels in 3D World for example.

Also there's Off-tv play, which is still a great feature of the Gamepad for people like me.

Chindogg

SM3DW thread: "Why do I have to blow into the controller? What's with this gimmick touch screen shit? I don't want to use the damn screen!"

This thread: "WTF why don't they use the screen? How fucking lazy!"

Effect

Glad this is reviewing so well. I actually wish I had a desire to buy it.I really don't. I still have Super Mario 3D World to finish up. Even then I doubt I'd be willing to pick this up had I finished it. Another platformer is really not want I want or need in my life right now. That could be why I haven't finished 3D World even though I think it's great.

Danny Dudekisser

I think I'd see more value in Off TV play if the GamePad's range was longer than that of a wired controller, and the screen wasn't the most atrocious LCD this side of the PSP-1000.

Edited for dramatic effect.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

This is basically a repeat of Freezy KO's post above, but...

People complaining about the fact that MK8 doesn't use the screen well aren't complaining because of a novelty horn, they're complaining that they paid $100 extra for hardware (or got $100 less in base hardware value or capacity as a result, either way you look at it) so that there could be a novelty horn. The same reason why Microsoft is being excoriated over and over and over again for charging $100 extra for their console for stuff that amounts to "that's a neat little novelty".

Of course there's Nintendoland and Game and Wario and off-tv play and yes, menu screens and maps can be handy, but if you want to have an argument about whether or not the Gamepad has in aggregate been a good value--I'm guessing you feel that the answer is yes here--then you're already admitting the problem was never the horn to begin with, but rather the perceived value of the Gamepad, so why pretend it was about the horn to begin with?

The horn is symbolic of the fact that not only do non-Nintendo companies not seem to get anything out of the Gamepad, most of Nintendo's internal teams don't either. The horn is symbolic of the fact that the Wii U has been rejected by the market at large by a number of reasons that ultimately come down to people not seeing the value of the product, and Nintendo's response is to say "The Gamepad is great. We're going to release software that really leverages the Gamepad" and then to proceed to release a release that has the Gamepad as a black screen, a release that uses it as basically a secondary info screen to offload HUD stuff onto, and their only long-term horizon that uses the Gamepad well is the prospect of NFC, which other companies have done without the Gamepad for several years now. That's the issue.

No one actually has a problem with there being a function to make a funny noise. Little goofy things are fine. No one blames the team for not using the Gamepad better, no one is saying "Mario Kart really should use the Gamepad for XYZ" because no one has really any great ideas for using the Gamepad, which is the actual issue at hand.

The Lamp

As much as I agree, you can nonchalantly dismiss many game arguments this way.

"Stop complaining about the difference between 720p and 1080p. Just enjoy your fun game and smile, damn it!"

The issue at hand people are presenting anyway is that Nintendo invested the entire identity of their next gen console into a gamepad and they struggle with some of their titles to show meaningful use of it.

The best use of gamepad I've seen is Nintendoland and Rayman Legends but not much beyond that.

Toxi

Banned
Can anyone tell me what this gibberish means? It reads like someone trying to vomit out a High School English paper with decent concepts but no idea on how to execute them.
Edge said:
There’s a tactility that was missing from Donkey Kong Country Returns, though Tropical Freeze lacks the physicality of Jungle Beat and its bongo controls, which are still a closer match for the protagonist’s abilities. EAD Tokyo captured the ape’s brute strength but also the curious grace of his movements, which carried a certain laid-back elegance when strung together. Here he’s an unstoppable force, a runaway train whose momentum can be tricky to arrest.

Otherwise, reviews seem to be as expected. "Unforgiving and unambitious" are the cons. 10s seem to be from people content with Donkey Kong Country Returns on steroids, 7s seem to be from people who feel it's too cheap and are disappointed with Donkey Kong Country Returns on steroids.

No complaints about glitches or control issues as far as I can tell, thank God.

This might be the game that gets me to buy a Wii U. Despite the complaints of "unoriginality", the level design is some of the most creative I've seen in a platformer.

The Gamespot review is just as I expected. Seems like total bias, tbh. He didn't even want to like the game; if he did he wouldn't try so hard to make it look and sound boring when we've seen so much awesome footage. He didn't even mention the outstanding soundtrack or leaderboards in his video review.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

I think my reply to this will largely be the same as my reply to Freezie's post, so refer to post 467!

No one can deny that there are some problems in Nintendo's camp, but I do not see the Mario Kart horn as the appropriate rallying point. This was never the game that would make a fresh argument for a second screen. It already made that argument two games ago.

"Stop complaining about the difference between 720p and 1080p. Just enjoy your fun game and smile, damn it!"

And this is a hyperbolic statement how? If the game is fun who gives one flying fuck about what resolution it's running at? Unless it actually affects your performance in the game (I was finally able to snipe in CoD when I went from 480i to 1080i), it's just pointless dickswording.

Into

SM3DW thread: "Why do I have to blow into the controller? What's with this gimmick touch screen shit? I don't want to use the damn screen!"

This thread: "WTF why don't they use the screen? How fucking lazy!"

You are presenting this as the people not making sense but it is actually perfectly consistent.

They paid for something, that is either not being used, or being used poorly bar very few exceptions. It makes perfect sense.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
DKC:TF's blank screen is representative of Retro's lack of commitment to trying to create a game that leverages the Wii U's unique capabilities.

Mario Kart 8's horn is representative of EAD's lack of commitment to trying to create a game that leverages the Wii U's unique capabilities.

DKC:TF and Mario Kart 8's lack of commitment to trying to create a game that leverages the Wii U's unique capabilities DOES NOT lead to the logical conclusion that these games are worse off and thus deserving of lower scores. Their lack of "meaningful" Wii U features does not make them worse games. That is a logical leap.

What would make them worse is if they were lower-quality titles.

Danny Dudekisser

As much as I agree, you can nonchalantly dismiss many game arguments this way.

Arguably, that's not a very important issue, outside of deciding which version of the game to play if you have both systems.

It's an oversimplification, maybe, but the point is valid: people worry too much about dumb shit when they could be... y'know... enjoying games.

RagnarokX

The horn complaints are one of the dumbest things to come out of last E3. You want to complain that Nintendo isn't making enough unique usage of the gamepad? Fine. That's totally valid. But using Mario Kart as an example? Mario Kart especially is a franchise that would in no way benefit from touch screen shit. Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart 7 already did Mario Kart with dual screens. Neither one had touch controls. Both had maps on the touch screen, which is something the gamepad does in Mario Kart 8. The gamepad can also be used as a wheel like the wii remote in Mario Kart Wii, and if the fancy strikes you you can complete the fantasy by putting a horn on the screen.

It also speaks of how people can't appreciate simple but important things like persistent maps and menus that are always available and don't take up gameplay screen space or require a pause menu. Such features in a game like GTA would be amazing.

Also, DKCR was ridiculed for forcing Wii's features into the gameplay, yet people want DKCTF to force Wii U's features into the gameplay. Features shouldn't be forced where they don't fit. When they work they work. Unique control systems using the gameplad screen are more in line with FPS, adventure, puzzle, RPG, etc genres. Platformers and racing games aren't a good fit.

kunonabi

The thing is the gamepad doesn't need to be absolute defining feature of every title they release. Have they not focused on it enough? Yes, but we still had Nintendo Land and Game & Wario which showed a wealth of potential concepts and ideas for it. They just get ignored because "lol minigame collections, didn't sell, I'm so hardcore" internet nonsense. The gamepad can be very useful supplementary device as shown by Wind Waker, Deus Ex, Wii Fit U, etc. I personally can't go back to wind waker after how streamlined the gamepad made the game and Deus Ex was so much better with that second screen that I never even played it off-tv. Not to mention the benefits of having easy access to the internet, miiverse, and the shop without putting down the controller. This isn't to say that there aren't highly gamepad dependent titles already, W101 and Zombie u are certainly at the top the list, or that Nintendo shouldn't focus on it more(they absolutely should) but constantly looking at every title from the gamepad angle is as short-sighted as looking at every xbox one game from the kinect/resolution angle

That said, I do want to see a focus on the gamepad just like everyone else. X is a prime candidate for it's use( I'll be pissed if it doesn't use it) and I would certainly expect the next Zelda, Metroid, etc to build on them as well as some obvious implementations like a new fatal frame and hopefully some brand new or returning franchises. Personally, I think Nintendo could have improved the gamepads profile by getting PSO2,FFXIV, and localizing DQX but that ship has sailed. I think part of the problem is Nintendo got blindsided by the poor sales and doubled down on just getting some traditional heavy hitters out there to try and prop up the console. Was that the right move? Probably not, but what does that have to do with Donkey Kong?

Nothing.

tl;dr - Stop being so cranky and judge the games on their own merits. DK really doesn't fit with the gamepad the way it's designed and MK8 can't really use it outside of some assymetrical or online functions anyway.

Top Bottom