• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze: Review Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 125677
  • Start date
The problem is they literally did NOTHING with the Gamepad. It's just a blank screen, which is stupid and lazy. Nobody is saying, "You have to make touchscreen levels like Rayman Legends!" Just don't do NOTHING.

This is probably for the better, though. Touch gimmicks or gyro crap have no place in a tough platformer. I'm gonna be super pissed if Ubi forced that touch bullshit into the PS4 version of Rayman next week. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it.

I'm sure the game is good/maybe great, not sure why people always get worked up over a couple of lowball clickbait scores.

zruben

Banned
Mario Kart 8 is constantly mocked here for having the probably tentative horn on the screen and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is mocked for not even having the equivalent of what Mario Kart 8 is being mocked for.

some reviewers still can't deal with the gamepad.

hell, some reviewers still can't deal with wiimotes.

VanWinkle

This is probably for the better, though. Touch gimmicks or gyro crap have no place in a tough platformer.

I'm sure the game is good/maybe great, not sure why people always get worked up over a couple of lowball clickbait scores.

I don't want touch and gyro gimmicks. But the start menu could be constantly projected during a level, or power-ups, or SOMETHING.

Porcile

Seems like another really nice job from Retro. Those guys have to be considered Super AAAA-Tier is they weren't already. All the more Impressive considering the studio lost it's figureheads and talent as well a few years back. It's very rare a studio can keep going and produce quality title after quality title like Retro have done.

Zalman

Ok then.

Smash Brothers Brawl didn't use the motion controls, is that a negative???

I think the point is there is a time and a place for everything.
Exactly. Do people want Kinect to be used in every Xbox One game? Do reviewers take point off of games that totally ignore it?

The Lamp

So basically it's predictable. It's a sequel to the last Donkey Kong game. I wasn't expecting anything different and I'm definitely going to pick it up.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Mario Kart 8 is constantly mocked here for having the probably tentative horn on the screen and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is mocked for not even having the equivalent of what Mario Kart 8 is being mocked for.

Let me just talk about that horn for a second, since you've brought it up. Even disregarding the fact that we've seen the course map and standings down there and the horn is an alternate view... what's so wrong with the horn? It's silly, it's fun. "Horn in the middle of your motion controlled wheel, like a real wheel, neat! Honk honk!" When they put it on there I bet they thought "he he how silly" and considered it a fun little thing to go along with the main actual game content of "steer your cart while looking at the TV." A very Nintendo-esque little bonus. Turning the motion-controlled gamepad a little bit more into an actual steering wheel. And this innocent little fucking thing has turned into a rallying cry for total shitcocks across the internet to mock the system for not being "properly utilized" or some crap.

When did we become so joyless? What's so wrong with a horn? Why are we analyzing every little stupid thing and determining whether or not it represents a proper exercising of system resources or blah blah blah? Just honk the fucking horn and smile, goddamn it!

Chindogg

Nope. That would be like if I said a Wii U game is problematic because it doesn't use the d-pad or Select button. The screen is the reason the Wii U was as expensive as it was, and by far it's biggest selling point and point of marketing. To me, it's extremely lazy to have a blank screen on the Gamepad. I believe it's the first game to ever do that.

So is it extremely lazy when a Xbox One developer doesn't integrate Kinect in some way for their games?

Off screen play is available, adding any other gimmicks would detract from what Retro is trying to do. While some games would greatly benefit from having a 2nd screen, DKC:TF isn't one of them.

When did we become so joyless? What's so wrong with a horn? Why are we analyzing every little stupid thing and determining whether or not it represents a proper exercising of system resources or blah blah blah? Just honk the fucking horn and smile, goddamn it!
tumblr_m961tmUFcj1r3qnxf.gif

TriGen

Overall, pretty good reviews. A lot of top heavy ones with only the GS review and a couple others not seeming great. And Edge shows once again you really need to read their full reviews, because their scores are always harsher.

Chindogg

Let me just talk about that horn for a second, since you've brought it up. Even disregarding the fact that we've seen the course map and standings down there and the horn is an alternate view... what's so wrong with the horn? It's silly, it's fun. "Horn in the middle of your motion controlled wheel, like a real wheel, neat! Honk honk!" When they put it on there I bet they thought "he he how silly" and considered it a fun little thing to go along with the main actual game content of "steer your cart while looking at the TV." A very Nintendo-esque little bonus. Turning the motion-controlled gamepad a little bit more into an actual steering wheel. And this innocent little fucking thing has turned into a rallying cry for total shitcocks across the internet to mock the system for not being "properly utilized" or some crap.

You clearly didn't get the memo.

In Nintendo threads, we ignore things like fun and discuss how fucking terrible the console is because its underpowered/no mature games/stupid name/fire Iwata/bad sales/etc.

zruben

Banned

+A post

and about your question... always try yo make context on where are you reading that. This forum is hardcore, specially considering console wars. Just try to not let that affect your fun in any way.

King_Moc

Banned
In Short: A highly competent 2D platformer, but one utterly devoid of any new ideas or any reason to buy a Wii U in order to play it.

Ok, i'll get the PC version. Oh, wait a minute.

Did they say in the Killzone, or Dead Rising reviews that they gave you no reason to buy a PS4/XB1 in order to play it?

Cons: Painfully predictable from the very first moment. Visually unremarkable and with some very dull secrets and special abilities. Terrible load times and no use for the GamePad.

And? Plenty of games from other consoles have no use for their gimmicks either, so what's their point? I though this had off tv play, anyway?

I also though that Metro was better than this. That's some very shoddy criticism, 7/10 game or not.

It looks like the more negative reviews mostly share the same sentiment that haunts many Nintendo games, namely: the game is well made and a lot of fun but doesn't feel new or offer enough fresh ideas.

Nah, that is not it, as most AAA games does not feel new. Most games have a basic formula, and sequels try some things new but don't strafe far away from this basic formula.

That is the sentiment of most people that buy games (just look at the top NPD games), Nintendo is not cool anymore, most people want cinematic experiences and big sports titles (that is the only thing selling right now). Every time a Wii U game comes up, they have to talk about how Nintendo is loosing it and the Wii U woes, something totally unnecessary IMO when reviewing a game.

I don't like reviews since very long ago, I read some of them but I either buy it Day 1 or wait for some GAF feedback. But sometimes even GAF can hype something up and you end up not liking it.

in the words of Kamiya "Believe in yourself!!"

Paracelsus

So we finally reached the point where real good hardcore games are no longer welcome?

I'm surprised Dark Souls is still at the top of its game, no pun intended.

Timeaisis

This is the best thing I've read all day.

PopeReal

I honestly could care less about reviews anymore. Most of the people who write them don't seem to be gamers, or at least don't have any passion or fun while playing games. They pump out some words and a random score, hope for clicks, and move on to the next game.

I am sure there are some real gamers who still love playing games and enjoy their job as reviewers, I just don't want to dig through the muck to find the gold.

Can't wait to try this game, at the very least it should make for a fun play through with the girl friend.

phanphare

Banned

someone get this man a beer!

VanWinkle

So is it extremely lazy when a Xbox One developer doesn't integrate Kinect in some way for their games?

Off screen play is available, adding any other gimmicks would detract from what Retro is trying to do. While some games would greatly benefit from having a 2nd screen, DKC:TF isn't one of them.

It's different. Kinect isn't a screen that you're holding while playing. It's out of the way, and if it's not in use, it's not really something you notice (of course, that being said, most first-party XB1 games DO use Kinect in some fashion). I don't see why they couldn't have put a start menu with quick restart or something. I didn't know it was so unusual or off-kilter to EXPECT something on the screen.

I can't argue with someone who doesn't see the screen you're holding being blank while you're playing as being lazy, though.

So we finally reached the point where real good hardcore games are no longer welcome?

Nah, it's just because of the platform it's on. If this came out on PS4 tomorrow most of the reviews would be 9/10, 10/10 etc.
I wish it would come out on PS4 tomorrow.

It's different. Kinect isn't a screen that you're holding while playing. It's out of the way, and if it's not in use, it's not really something you notice (of course, that being said, most first-party XB1 games DO use Kinect in some fashion). I don't see why they couldn't have put a start menu with quick restart or something. I didn't know it was so unusual or off-kilter to EXPECT something on the screen.

I can't argue with someone who doesn't see the screen you're holding being blank while you're playing as being lazy, though.

Maybe Retro did it for a reason.

Surely this being the first game that has a blank screen might be for some reason.

VanWinkle

I guess you ignored that this game has an over 80% average on Metacritic, but, yeah, we'll go with "no longer welcome".

Maybe Retro did it for a reason.

Surely this being the first game that has a blank screen might be for some reason.

Maybe. And if we hear of some logical reason that nothing is on the screen, then I could probably change my tone on that aspect.

MYE

It is lazy as shit. But so is not supporting Kinect, since you know, you paid for it.
The fact that most people rather not use Kinect around here is just a happy coincidence.

Post of the day. Unfortunately everyything has somehow to be JUSTIFIED!1 to be on the Wii U and not my console of choice. How dare they to use the screen only for off-tv play or a horn.

Chindogg

If there's no reason to have anything on the screen, there's no reason to have the screen on. I don't need any extra information for a straight up 2.5D platformer. I love my Wii U and the 2nd screen options on games like Zombi U but honestly I don't need anything extra when it comes to a platformer.

Why waste resources on something you won't use when you could divert those resources into making the core functionality of your game the best it can be?

I'm glad they aren't rendering the game on the bottom screen at least like how they do in Super Mario 3d World or NSMBU gets very distracting. But the screen is completely black? Nothing on there at all?

Kriken

I really don't get the idea of "A first party game NEEDS to utilize the console's biggest feature" Could you imagine if Microsoft made Halo 4 focus heavily on the kinect? Heck even for third party exclusives; could you imagine if Sonic Colors forced waggle controls? I think this was discussed before, but what features are we talking about with the second screen? Mirrored to the TV? That can be distracting to some and personally I've turned off the TV entirely to focus on the gamepad if that's the case. Swipe away leaves to reveal secrets? Eh, maybe but even in Mario 3D World, things like that were limited and ultimately didn't add to the gameplay.

Tropical Freeze looks like a great game that doesn't utilize the gamepad "effectively" in the same sense that Brawl could be played without the main controller of the Wii. And I don't think the game itself should be docked points for that.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Baically what I take from most reviews are that this is more of everything that made DKCR so great, but nothing groundbreaking/new/revolutionary or something that will make Wii U detrone PS4 and Steam next month, and justify the gamepad and Iwata.

Luckily I wanted from Tropical Freeze was that first thing. And I'm totally playing this game with the pro controller anyway.

gtj1092

Nah, it's just because of the platform it's on. If this came out on PS4 tomorrow most of the reviews would be 9/10, 10/10 etc.
I wish it would come out on PS4 tomorrow.

But most of the reviews are 8+.

And a all the ps4 exclusives got poor reviews.

Baically what I take from most reviews are that this is more of everything that made DKCR so great, but nothing groundbreaking/new/revolutionary or something that will make Wii U detrone PS4 and Steam next month, and justify the gamepad and Iwata.

Luckily I wanted that first thing more than anything. And I'm totally playing this game with the pro controller anyway.

I might play it with the Wii Remote and nunchuk, I am that demented.

Oh wait, not on the first playthrough, I will be using the Gamepad for Off Tv play.

VanWinkle

If there's no reason to have anything on the screen, there's no reason to have the screen on. I don't need any extra information for a straight up 2.5D platformer. I love my Wii U and the 2nd screen options on games like Zombi U but honestly I don't need anything extra when it comes to a platformer.

Why waste resources on something you won't use when you could divert those resources into making the core functionality of your game the best it can be?

Because I don't think it would take a massive amount of resources. I mean, you could put non-critical info on it that you may want to know sometimes, like stats (how many secrets you've found, number of bananas, playthrough time, level progress, etc.). There's always something you could make use of that may be of benefit or enjoyment to some players.

Spot on

Into

But most of the reviews are 8+.

And a all the ps4 exclusives got poor reviews.

3D World scored better than any PS4 or Xbox One exclusive. Ditto for Link Between Worlds.

Gerstmann "hates" Zelda and Zelda fans and he wanted to antagonize them with that 8.8 score for TP, yet he was the one who gave Ocarina of Time a super rare perfect 10/10 on GameSpot

Look video game journalism is not exactly where it needs to be, we can agree there, but to claim they are anti this or that company just falls flat, when the evidence to the contrary is staring us right in the eyes.

ohlawd

Luckily I wanted from Tropical Freeze was that first thing. And I'm totally playing this game with the pro controller anyway.
Same.

I seriously don't give a shit if it's the same or it revolutionizes the genre or it makes me rethink my life as long as it's a good game.

The horn is emblematic of a Nintendo that pushes ideas without a single compelling gameplay concept to back them up. A horn on a screen could be a silly, fun bonus. But is it worth betting all of Nintendo's relevance in the console space on the GamePad if their best idea is a horn?

NeoGAF is a forum that discusses the video game industry as well as the games. The horn is the epitome of Nintendo's failures to identify trends and contribute in ways that are genuinely driving forward gameplay, such as unequivocally embracing online play. The horn is them forcing a valueless proposition like the GamePad instead of responding to consumer demands.

The horn is more than a horn.

VanWinkle

Can somebody remind me of the level count? I recall there being less than DKCR but I don't remember how much exactly. ALSO, is there any playable content outside of the main branch of levels (you know, like how NSMBU had that really cool challenge mode stuff)?

Earendil

When a game uses the gamepad, it's called 'gimmicky.' When it doesn't use the gamepad, it "does little to justify the Wii U’s existence."

Make up your damn minds.

Can somebody remind me of the level count? I recall there being less than DKCR but I don't remember how much exactly. ALSO, is there any playable content outside of the main branch of levels (you know, like how NSMBU had that really cool challenge mode stuff)?

There seems to be 63. First Island has 8, Islands 2-5 have 10, DK Island has 12 and there are 3 secret levels after beating all temples. There is also hard mode after beating the game which has no checkpoints, no partner characters, and one heart. And then of course the time trials.

inopedes

Banned
Something they could use the gamepad screen for, not just in this game but all games where it’s not really utilised is miiverse. Have it all on the screen, scrolling messages, best times etc…all updating while you play.

Into

The horn is emblematic of a Nintendo that pushes ideas without a single compelling gameplay concept to back them up. A horn on a screen could be a silly, fun bonus. But is it worth betting all of Nintendo's relevance in the console space on the GamePad if their best idea is a horn?

NeoGAF is a forum that discusses the video game industry as well as the games. The horn is the epitome of Nintendo's failures to identify trends and contribute in ways that are genuinely driving forward gameplay, such as unequivocally embracing online play. The horn is them forcing a valueless proposition like the GamePad instead of responding to consumer demands.

The horn is more than a horn.

..well said. Really, there is nothing that can be added.

I understand what the poster you quoted was trying to say, "lets just shut up and enjoy the games", its hard to disagree with this, games are supposed to be fun.
But that horn is not "free", it represents the lack of ideas Nintendo as a whole has had for this console, the GamePad on which that horn is slapped on represents a decent chunk of the cost for both consumers and for how much Nintendo can sell the console for.

Top Bottom