• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve |OT| Survive. Thrive. Die.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

GENRE
Wilderness Survival / Rougelike

Think Minecraft or Terraria, but with less focus on creating structures and more focus on surviving against the odds.

DISTRIBUTION
GOG.com (DRM-free) / Steam (PC & Mac) / Straight from the Dev's / Chrome Webstore (Browser Version)

RELEASE DATE
PC: April 23rd, 2013
PS4: January 7th, 2014

DON'T STARVE
is a 'survivalcraft' title developed and published by Klei Entertainment, the bros behind titles such as Mark of the Ninja and Shank 1 & 2. It features an isometric view point and a grim fairy tale art style. Maps are randomly generated and player death is permanent.

You play as Wilson (or later, as one of eight unlockable character), a pointy-haired fellow teleported to a mysterious forest by an evil scientist or something weird like that. It doesn't really matter.

What really matters is that you need to stay alive, and it won't be easy. If hunger doesn't kill you, insanity, poison, harsh weather or the mean shit that lurks at night will. Explore the map to find various terrains containing unique resources and creatures. Craft tools, weapons, equipment and structures. Develop new technologies. Maybe even build a base complete with buildings, decorations and self-sustaining farms.

Basically, just do whatever it takes to stay alive.

Watch TotalBiscuit's WTF Is... for a good look at an earlier version of the game.

• Don't Starve has existed in beta form since December of 2012. Click HERE to view the massive list of content updates, tweaks and fixes.

• Single-player only.

• Sandbox mode is the 'main' mode. Enter a randomly generated world and survive as long as possible.

• Within Sandbox mode, you can find portals to an Adventure mode, which has a series of themed areas with objectives.

• One you're dead, you're dead forever, but XP is carried over. XP is used to unlock new characters. The longer you survive and the more cool shit you do, the more XP you earn.

• Klei has committed to at least six months of post-launch support.

• No gamepad support at the moment, the controls and interface are designed for KB/M.

aPn.png

bPn.png

cPn.png

dPn.png

chixdiggit

Awesome game. Played about 6 hours of the beta and loved it. Will be jumping in again soon.

So last time I played I froze to death. What is the best way to keep warm? How do I go about building a structure?

n8

Unconfirmed Member
I just got this last night; had my first run.
Getting ready to play more. Plan on going mostly blind: no outside resources.

traveler

Not Wario
Just got it today and love it already. Please give this game a shot, GAF.

While the game offers little to nothing in the way of explanation, I recommend avoiding looking for advice or reading a wiki as figuring what combines with what, what progresses you forward, and how to go about executing that are the core of the game.

GENRE

Think Minecraft or Terraria, but with less focus on creating structures and more focus on surviving against the odds.

DISTRIBUTION
Steam / Straight from the Dev's / Chrome Webstore (Browser Version)

PRICE
$15, or $11.99 for two copies if you pre-purchase. Plus you get some dumb crap for Team Fortress 2.

GENRE

DISTRIBUTION
Steam / Straight from the Dev's / Chrome Webstore (Browser Version)

GENRE

Rougelike

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Only played a bit over an hour, but I liked what I've played so far. My mouse broke though so I haven't really gotten back to it yet.

Burnburn

Yeah, awesome game. After playing for 5-6 hours I finally get how I can survive.

Ditch the backpack as soon as possible! Having more space is handy and all, but the logsuit is so much better. The amount of hits you can take almost goes up 10x.

Also try to find Bizons as soon as possible. They are super easy to kill(hit three times, retreat, repeat) and give you a shit ton of food.

Awesome game. Played about 6 hours of the beta and loved it. Will be jumping in again soon.

So last time I played I froze to death. What is the best way to keep warm? How do I go about building a structure?

Try to make a winter hat. I think you can make it with silk and bizon hair.

Be prepared, and make a lot of fires. If winter is coming; stock on as much wood, grass and food as possible. Try to make a Freeze box and store it with meat. That alone can almost take you through winter.

Do you guys make bases? I always built one around a pig village.

Played the beta back in January and enjoyed it and they said they would add a ton more. I'll play it again soon after the official release.

I played the demo, and it seems like it can really suck you in. I like that it's playable in Chrome, for places in which I don't have free reign over .exe files.

Tacitus_

Make a winter hat from either bunnies or buffalos. Make a heat stone and heat it on your campfire. Stock plenty of food and firewood for winter.

Atomski

First game I set up a camp to far away from any abundant food.. I died of starvation on day 14.

Second game I was out chopping wood on the 11th day, as the sun was setting a
tree came to life and one shot me in da face

Game is great..

Jintor

Yo guys been in beta for a month or two now. Game is great.

Was eating up way too much of my time chopping trees though.

Also try to find Bizons as soon as possible. They are super easy to kill(hit three times, retreat, repeat) and give you a shit ton of food.

It's all about the manure man. Gotta get those turbo farms up and running ASAP. Also vegetables don't have a mating season where they beat the shit out of you if you get too close.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I've dismissed this game on the horrible art style since I first heard of it... it's a horrible mix-match of 2D hand drawn indie somethings fornicating with Deathspank odd view angle.

Gbraga

It was on my wishlist for a long time just because it looks great, but it actually seems to be really good, I think I'll preorder it today.

Jintor

I've dismissed this game on the horrible art style since I first heard of it... it's a horrible mix-match of 2D hand drawn indie somethings fornicating with Deathspank odd view angle.

The only thing the camera problem has is that sometimes shit gets hidden behind a tree and no matter what cardinal angle you rotate to view you can't bloody click on it. That's about it.

Sober

The only thing the camera problem has is that sometimes shit gets hidden behind a tree and no matter what cardinal angle you rotate to view you can't bloody click on it. That's about it.
Spacebar usually does it. If anything, also put away your tool in your hands so he doesn't go chopping the tree instead or whatever.

kennah

One thing that really bothers me is people calling it isometric perspective. It is actually a 3/4 overhead. Isometric is a very specific style where lines on an axis are 120 degrees from each other. Diablo was isometric. Don't Starve is not.

Other than that having lots of fun even though I keep dying.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
One thing that really bothers me is people calling it isometric perspective. It is actually a 3/4 overhead. Isometric is a very specific style where lines on an axis are 120 degrees from each other. Diablo was isometric. Don't Starve is not.

Other than that having lots of fun even though I keep dying.

I wasn't sure if it was the correct term, but I figured it'd still give people the right idea.

Tacitus_

So, how long have you been surviving? I made it almost to the 2nd winter (some 40+ days) but then I got creamed by the hounds as I was just setting up my traps for them.

Almyn

I have a code for the chrome web store version, If anyone one is interested in trying the game? Although I have no idea what it is like compared to the steam version, Or if it's as up to date.

Reply to this if you want the code.

I have a code for the chrome web store version, If anyone one is interested in trying the game? Although I have no idea what it is like compared to the steam version, Or if it's as up to date.

Reply to this if you want the code.

This looks interesting to me.

The_Monk

I'm glad to see this OT.

Started playing this week and I really like it! Hope my save can carry to the final version. Unlocked more characters to play and going to try them now since I've only played with the default one.

I had one that I was doing good but some dogs killed me. :( Then I had another map that had water everywhere so I was walking in circles for a long time and had no items to craft stuff.

You need to play this game fellow GAFfers.

Is anybody up for splitting with me? I'll be buying through the site as it's cheaper than on the UK steam store so I'll be pming the code rather than going through steam trading.

Exuro

My brother gifted this to me yesterday out of the blue. Already put in 3 hours last night. It's a very addicting game and I absolutely love the visuals. My current playthrough I have a nice little farm set up near a pig village and Beefalo prarie(Still trying to figure out how to kills these guys without getting destroyed). Trying to figure things out without using a guide and it's been really fun so far.

The_Monk

Just reached Level 5 and now I'm trying another character. I hate Nights in this game...

By the way OP, the MAC Version is already here and it's playable, so you can update your OT if you feel like it (and I believe Linux too).

This game is a ton of fun. The art is fantastic. Love the sense of discovery and survival when learning how to do things. Those interested should bite the bullet and pick it up. It's worth it.

Jumping in to add to the positive feedback for this game. Its very enjoyable and addictive for something that is trying to make you suffer as much as it can. My only beef would be that with random generation of terrain you can still know what to do but be screwed over by a very poor map layout. If that happens you can just create a new map easily though.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Shit the game is released right when I need to go back out on the road again for work... D:

gdt

Hmm this looks great. Hmmmmm, I have a spare copy of XCOM if anyone wants to gift me this game.

SparkTR

I didn't realize there was much buzz for this game until I heard it sold over 250k pre-release copies. It has a nice art-style so I'll probably get it at some point.

Top Bottom