• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve |OT| Survive. Thrive. Die.

Pollux

I had to make a new steam account for a variety of reasons, but I just re-bought it today. Will play some tonight probably.

Shame the thread seemed to die.

Question, is there still no point to building walls? Without a door or something like that there's no real point since the monsters and shit can just come right in the gap...unless I'm not remembering correctly. I played for a bit when it first came out but haven't touched it in at least 6 months.

Made it to day 25 before the winter got me. Was pretty happy with that attempt, I built my first walled fort, finally stood up to the hounds, had a nice game going. Unfortunately the map wasn't very food friendly, and I spent about 5 days leading up to winter looking for beefalo, to no avail. I was left with little food, health or sanity, and I couldn't venture out very far because of the cold. My last hope was trying to kill some bear thing attacking my fort, but it won the fight.

Question, is there still no point to building walls? Without a door or something like that there's no real point since the monsters and shit can just come right in the gap...unless I'm not remembering correctly. I played for a bit when it first came out but haven't touched it in at least 6 months.

I'm still pretty new myself, but I definitely see value in walls to keep enemies away. You could always completely enclose an area, then use a hammer to open a gap when you want to come and go. Or booby trap the entrance area.

I guess my camp is the cool place to hang out.

o7v2Sau.png

I can't complain though, I got attacked by a pack of 4 hounds, ran over to my camp hoping they'd get distracted killing penguins, but the penguins ended up killing them. :D

33 days.

Was doing just fine.
Accidentally hit penguin.
Mop attacks. Die.
Respawn at alter. Can't collect materials to create fire fast enough. Freeze to death.
Respawn at alter. Can't collect materials to create fire fast enough. Freeze to death.
Game over.
:\

Mogwai

Just bought this game through the Steam sale.

Now, how do I actually hunt animals and critters? I've tried both with the pickaxe and a spear. But anything I try to attack will not die even by 5-6 hits when they flee.

Now, how do I actually hunt animals and critters? I've tried both with the pickaxe and a spear. But anything I try to attack will not die even by 5-6 hits when they flee.

You can use melee weapons to kill spiders, or protect yourself from hounds, but not to kill rabbits or birds. You'll need to make a trap for them, or use a ranged weapon such as a boomerang, blow dart, or fire staff.

thespot84

If you put a carrot on the ground and wait for a rabbit to come nibble on it you can kill it with a melee weapon.

Just picked this up a few days ago, one of the few games in a long time to give me that "holy shit where did the time go" kind of moments.

ThisOne

Watched a few Let's Play videos of this on YouTube while I wait for the PS4 version to be released. It kind of looks slow and maybe a little boring. Do things pick up substantially after the first few days?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Watched a few Let's Play videos of this on YouTube while I wait for the PS4 version to be released. It kind of looks slow and maybe a little boring. Do things pick up substantially after the first few days?
Yeah the first few days have a slow start especially if you're new to the game and don't know what the fuck you're doing. You have to ramp up quickly though cause every x number of days you get attacked
by a horde of wild pigs
and eventually
Winter smacks you in the face and can kill you if you're not prepared for it
. There's also other timed events that keep it from being too monotonous, harder maps you can generate by entering portals, and a story mode that dumps you in a new random map with preset conditions and a goal to enter the next chapter.

Antti

This game is super-addicting. Just made it to day 25 on a single run. Was doing just fine until the PS4 decided it had had enough and gave me an error message. The save file was nowhere to be found. :(

Top Bottom