• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve |OT| Survive. Thrive. Die.

gdt

I didn't realize there was much buzz for this game until I heard it sold over 250k pre-release copies. It has a nice art-style so I'll probably get it at some point.

Klei seems to be on fire now. I thought for a bit that Shank 2's lack of buzz was going to hurt them hard.

Sober

Best place to pick up a copy of this game? Directly from the developers or Steam?
Right now I believe directly from the devs; it's about the same price as on steam for the beta. Unless it changed you get two copies (steam keys and chrome keys) and you can get the tf2 items.

Right now I believe directly from the devs; it's about the same price as on steam for the beta. Unless it changed you get two copies (steam keys and chrome keys) and you can get the tf2 items.

Buying from the devs gets you the TF2 items as well? Then its a nobrainer. I was torn between giving the devs 100% and getting the TF2 items, but if the direct from the developer option gets me the items too then that's the best option by far.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Buying from the devs gets you the TF2 items as well? Then its a nobrainer. I was torn between giving the devs 100% and getting the TF2 items, but if the direct from the developer option gets me the items too then that's the best option by far.
Yup, you just have to launch TF2 after redeeming the key for the items to pop up in your inventory.

Killthee

Just wondering, is this game 'cross-buy' at all? Or do I have to buy it for Steam and Chrome separately?
You get 2 Chrome keys and 2 Steam keys (+ the TF2 items after you redeem the key and launch TF2) if you buy it from the official site/the humble store.

http://www.dontstarvegame.com/blog/landing/buynow.html

I've also heard steam keys work in the chrome version, but I'm not 100% sure that's true. Looks like Steam keys will work with Chrome and vice versa, but there's quite a few people that are having issues with it so I would just go the official site/humble store route.

Killthee

New trailer to celebrate the game finally being out of beta.

Aaaaand we're live!

This is it, folks - the final Beta update (a few days early!). With this update we consider Don’t Starve to be ready for general consumption, and a complete game in its own right. We’re not done updating, of course - we’ve promised six months of post-launch content updates, and that’s exactly what we’re going to do. For now, our team needs a bit of a break, so our first update will come 4 weeks after launch, on May 21st.

Because we are out of Beta, we need to be more careful in how we add content to the game. Previously, we’d throw our new content in the game almost as soon as it’s done, but we feel more testing is required post April 23. Given that, we are going to be moving to a 3 week update schedule, and open up our staging branch early to both give a sneakpeek at new content as well as give feedback before the content officially goes live.

We’ve got some pretty cool stuff planned for the post-launch expansion, and we’ll tell you about it as soon as we’ve worked out the details.

We’re putting this update out a bit ahead of schedule because we want the official launch day to go as smoothly as possible. We’ve been testing this build for the last week in the special test branch, but strange things happen when software meets the real world. Let’s get any potential hotfixes out of the way before Tuesday!

On behalf of the team, I’d like to thank everyone who participated in the beta, and helped us make Don’t Starve the game that it is today. The game is far, far better because of you!

Now for the changelist:

Adventure Mode is done!
Can you escape through a long, arduous journey of 5 randomly generated worlds, and learn Maxwell’s secret?

We’ve put a lot of effort into creating randomization between and within each level, so every playthrough presents new challenges. Exploration and adaptation is key, and only the best survival experts will make it all the way to the end. There are tons of changes, tuning, and new features within adventure mode, but listing them all would ruin the surprise!

So grab that Divining Rod and journey on -- if you dare.

Some New Stuff

• Divining Rod (adventure only) - helps you track down missing portal pieces
  • Sewing Kit - repairs degraded clothing items
  • Newly-planted trees take a while to grow into small trees
  • We’ve gone through the game screen by screen and made everything look nicer and be more functional. The world customization screen in particular got a complete re-write. There’s also a new credits screen.
  • HUD size is more readable on larger screens
  • Wes is now unlocked by finding him in Adventure Mode
  • Beating Adventure Mode unlocks a new character

Bug fixes / Tuning
Too many to list! Basically, we’ve fixed all of the bugs that we know of that would have prevented us from shipping. As with every game, there are will always be some bugs that we miss, but there shouldn’t be anything too terrible that prevents players from enjoying themselves. As usual, let us know if you find any!

Finally, there's a special retrospective update trailer, coming reeaaaaal soon. It wouldn’t be an update without a video!

Finally, here's a special retrospective update trailer. It wouldn’t be an update without a video!

Launch Trailer

The Soundtrack is also now available for $5 via the Humble Store. New tracks will be added to it as they update the game. Steam release will be on Tuesday.

ntfcWOzl.png

derFeef

Just played for two hours just experimenting and running around, such a great sandbox.
Launch trailer is creepy.

Picked this up on steam today. Got an extra copy that I gifted for a friend. Game was awesome, so I bough another twopack for a few other friends. Still at day 7 though. A tree killed me at day four my first game. Got a little base going my third game. Guy went insane. Not sure how to stop that. Going strong in my forth game now. Still feel like I haven't seen a fraction of the things this game can do yet.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
All this time I didn't realize pigmen follow you if you give them a snack. I'm now setting up camp right in the middle of pigtown, I'm one of them now.

Trying to avoid doing stupid shit that gets me killed. I haven't really lasted that long yet despite playing this game like 12 hours.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow, so I accidentally lead one of those giant, evil trees into the pig camp I was living at. It killed almost everyone, and then turned on me (I stabbed it with a spear, which was dumb, but he killed my bros...). I stood no chance against that thing so in the heat of the moment, I lit some brush on fire, which then caught the evil tree on fire, who then started to catch an entire forest on fire as it chased me through it.

The entire forest was lighting up around me. But then the one surviving pigman came out of nowhere and finished him off just as I was pinned against a river. I thought I was a goner. :eek:

This shit is nuts.

Did not know the steam key gets you a copy in Chrome as well. That is awesome. Have it running in a second monitor as I type this. Too cool.

Ok so help me out here. Generally when I play I:

• Start foraging around for food and items
  • Build myself a science and alchemy machine and crock pot near some bunny nests
  • Start building a little room out of blocks
  • Wonder what to do next as all the other items seem kind of unecessary
  • Attack some spiders or something until I'm dead because I'm starting to get bored or get wiped out by some dogs or something that I wasn't careful about.

Is there much else to do/build towards besides being more careful and building weapons/armour so I don't get killed? I realise surviving a season change will be a big part of it, but after that does everything just sort of repeat?

AppleMIX

Ok so help me out here. Generally when I play I:

• Start foraging around for food and items
  • Build myself a science and alchemy machine and crock pot near some bunny nests
  • Start building a little room out of blocks
  • Wonder what to do next as all the other items seem kind of unecessary
  • Attack some spiders or something until I'm dead because I'm starting to get bored or get wiped out by some dogs or something that I wasn't careful about.

Is there much else to do/build towards besides being more careful and building weapons/armour so I don't get killed? I realise surviving a season change will be a big part of it, but after that does everything just sort of repeat?

Well you after you survive a couple of seasons you want to start adventure mode.

Well you after you survive a couple of seasons you want to start adventure mode.

Can you give me a quick overview of what you do in adventure mode? I'm picturing completing missions relating to the usual survival steps like "find 5 carrots" but that might be way off the mark?

Edit. Looked it up myself, looks like it isn't like that at all. It sounds interesting and I'll try to check it out.

It's pretty fun, but it might be a bit too hardcore for me. I have only played this a few times, but I have trouble making it past 10~15 days. I suppose I could help myself by using the world modifiers, but that'd feel too much like cheating.

I do like that every time I booted it up, there seemed to be some kind of update.

Deband

So when you purchase this do you get either Steam keys or Chrome keys? I bought it but can't remember where from.

clockpunk

My Macbook could play the demo, but the final version is too much for its graphics card to handle. :-/

Makes me very sad - my only hope is for a console release, for which I would certainly double-dip. Reminds me a little of that old GBC title, Survival Kids, in some ways.

Tangeroo

I bought this game based on this thread and I'm absolutely hooked. I've always wanted a straight up survival simulator and none of the "Lost in Blue" games got it quite right. This game is amazing!

Carm

Purchased from dev site, no TF2 items after redeeming key. Installing the game to see if that makes a difference.

Still no dice on TF2 items. Do they not go live till tomorrow?

Killthee

Purchased from dev site, no TF2 items after redeeming key. Installing the game to see if that makes a difference.

Still no dice on TF2 items. Do they not go live till tomorrow?
They should appear in your inventory after launching TF2. Not sure if you have to launch Don't Starve at least once before TF2, but give that a shot as well if you haven't launched it yet.

Carm

They should appear in your inventory after launching TF2. Not sure if you have to launch Don't Starve at least once before TF2, but give that a shot as well if you haven't launched it yet.

Nope. Restarted Steam twice, Started TF2 4 times, joining a match one of the times. Started Don't Starve then tried TF2 still nadda.

Where did the devs say you would get the TF2 items buying directly from them?

Killthee

Pollux

Once I get the science machine going, should I work towards building a permanent residence? like walls and crap? Or should I just stay mobile?

I've played twice and keep dying around day 5

Killthee

Once I get the science machine going, should I work towards building a permanent residence? like walls and crap? Or should I just stay mobile?

I've played twice and keep dying around day 5
What's killing you? Hunger? Enemies?

What I do is I go scouting the first day looking for a quarry and a spot near Beefalo with a nearby Forest. Mine the quarry for as much you can grab the first day and then I make a permanent camp near the Beefalo/Forest. Build permanent camp fire, Science machine, Alchemy engine, a Spear, and some wood armor ASAP. Then I spend the next week or so collecting manure, planting farms, and digging up bushes/grass/branches so I can replant them near my base camp. After that I start preparing for Winter. I can't say I've used the walls often though, usually you'll hear a sound effect and Wilson will mention hearing it before some boss or hound attacks. As long as you equip your armor and have a spear on you, you should be good to go for most enemies. Worst case scenario you kite the enemy to a pig house and have him kill it for you.

Ferrio

Banned
Bought it this weekend, played a couple days. Farthest I got was 10 days because I kept running out of food, but I think I identified the problem. Think I should get much farther this time.

Also, what refills your sanity meter? What makes it deplete?

Tyrax

Anyone know how to farm more pig skins?
I can kill pigs near the king or smash the houses, but then they run out.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Also, what refills your sanity meter? What makes it deplete?

You can refill your sanity by eating cooked foods, picking flowers, and sleeping. To sleep you need to craft a bed. There are other ways, too.

Being awake at evening and night seems to drain sanity. Because of this, your sanity is always slowly draining. It can be also be drained eating bad stuff like monster meat or certain mushrooms. Being hungry or hurt seems to do it, too. But again that doesn't cover anything, I try not to spoil every detail with wiki's and stuff.

Killthee

Anyone know how to farm more pig skins?
I can kill pigs near the king or smash the houses, but then they run out.
If you feed a pig 4 pieces of monster meat or wait for a full moon they'll turn into a Werepig. Werepigs drop 2 pieces of meat and a pig skin when you kill them. Wait three day and a new pig will spawn if you leave the Pig House up. Rinse and repeat.

oVerde

Banned
This is the game that made me buy a new computer. Left mine own PC on my job, and hadn't a home pc in 3 years.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's crazy how a quick trip to nab some rabbits turns into a grueling, life-or-death journey. Just spent an entire night being chased in circles around my campfire by like 10 angry spiders. :(

I've played this game a good bit now but I've barely done any of the advanced stuff like creating meals or farming. I'm always too busy just trying to stay alive.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
I've been OCDing with the game the past couple days. It's awesome.

You can regain sanity by picking flowers as well, if you get 12 of them you can make a crown and that acts as a sanity regen.

Those big ass trees that come to life and attack you, seem to happen for me anyway if you cut too many trees down continuously. I found if you plant the acorns to make new trees near him instead of attacking him, after a few of them he re-roots and turns back to a normal tree.

To keep from freezing in the winter you can make a hot rock and carry it around with you when you're not at camp.

pilonv1

Played a few hours tonight, absolutely love it. It's so incredibly addictive.

The worst part is I want to talk about it but I think not knowing as much as possible about the game makes it more fun.

I don't know if this is common knowledge, but walking on cleared paths makes your character travel faster. I just figured this out during my last run and I think it has been a key to my success during this current play through (I'm currently on day 30).

Top Bottom