• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve |OT| Survive. Thrive. Die.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
TE4zaJA.png

Killthee

Nice. I'm surprised by how slow this thread has been so far. Impressions have been almost universally positive and it seems like the type of game that could built a strong cult following.

Oh, and looks like there's a DRM-free version at GOG.com now: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/dont_starve
DRM free version is also available now for people who ordered through the official site/humble store.

Deband

Played for first time in a few months today. Haven't noticed any changes. Isn't there supposed to be a story of some kind now?

First time playing got to day 9 and then stupidly died going rambo on some tentacle thing. Second attempt I'm at day 6 and quickly running out of food. Game is great so far, can't wait until I can easily survive for 30+ days at a time.

Killthee

Played for first time in a few months today. Haven't noticed any changes. Isn't there supposed to be a story of some kind now?
There should be
a portal somewhere in the map that will dump you into Adventure Mode.

Retroid

Wish I had seen this thread yesterday before I bought it on Steam. I would have bought it through the Humble Store.

Killthee

Steam and Chrome versions also get access to the standalone client.

JoeW said:
How Keys Work - Post Launch

All purchases from DontStarveGame.com, the chrome web store and Steam entitle players to playing in steam, the chrome web game and the standalone client. You will be given a key that can be used on each platform.

Below you can find directions for playing on your platform.

• Steam Purchases
When you purchase Don't Starve from Steam, the game is put into your games library.

Your game key for chrome or standalone can be found by right-clicking the game in your library and choosing "view CD Key". This is your key for all versions of Don't Starve on all platforms.

Playing on another platform:

The Standalone Client.
The Standalone version for your key can be found at https://www.humblebundle.com/s?key={YOUR KEY HERE}
Make sure you do not include the brackets.

Answers to Steam billing related questions can be found here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...8360-WEJC-2625

Play in Chrome
In google chrome, you can go to dontstarvegame.com, click play now and you will be taken to the chrome web store. Once there, add the game to chrome. After the game is added, sign in with your google account and the game will finish the install process. On the main menu, you enter your code by clicking "Enter Product Key"​

• Humble Store Purchase
When Don't Starve is purchased through the website at dontstarvegame.com you will be granted a key that can be used in steam and chrome as well as the standalone client. Once the purchase is completed, the Humble Store you will receive an email that contains a link to a page that contains your key and the standalone client for download.

• Chrome Web Store Purchases
When the game is purchased through the Chrome web store, the account you are using to play will be granted access to the full version of the game.

Playing on another platform:

Your game key
To get your game key, open Don't Starve in chrome.
From the main menu, CLICK on "Account Info". From there you will see your game key

Play in Steam

Visit steampowered.com, download steam, install and create a steam account. Once that is done, run steam. At the bottom left of the steam client, choose "Add a game" and then "activate a game on steam" and use your game key. After the game has been downloaded and installed, you can play it from your game library.

Standalone Client
The Standalone version for your key can be found at https://www.humblebundle.com/s?key={YOUR KEY HERE}​

chiba

Been playing this on and off the last week, loving it so far.

Tip for newcomers that completely changed my strategy when I realized it: the black lines on the map are roads, and you run faster on them.

Acorn

Been playing this on and off the last week, loving it so far.

Tip for newcomers that completely changed my strategy when I realized it: the black lines on the map are roads, and you run faster on them.
There really should be a tutorial of sorts.

Ilive1up

i didn't have to activiate a game key. downloaded directly from steam. anyway, played for about an hour and half, died on the 10th day. it's interesting. i love the art style, and i can tell there is a lot of stuff to discover.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Think that goes against the intent of the game.
This is what I love about games like DS, Minecraft or Terraria. The first few hours of utter confusion and panic are priceless and it's all worth it once you become a hardened survivor.

Killthee

blacky[;55207604]Will there be an XBOX Live Arcade or Wii U Release?

Is the Chrome version free of charge? Any restrictions?
  1. They haven't announced any ports. They said they would look into it after launch.
  2. The Chrome version offer a 20 minute demo. Buying it will remove the time limit. The only other restriction is you can't add mods to it.

This game is purely single-player, right? I have the game, but need to find some time to get into it. Love Mark of the Ninja, man these guys are really talented to hop so many genres.

This game is purely single-player, right? I have the game, but need to find some time to get into it. Love Mark of the Ninja, man these guys are really talented to hop so many genres.

Yup, SP only. Didn't really like Shank that much, but Mark of the Ninja and Don't Starve have been fantastic.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I bought into the beta in December and played a decent amount then, been jumping in for a few minutes just to see what I can find that's different. They've done a great job with this game. The game is downright creepy now, and the fact that I never really did a deep dive into the updates means I see things all over that are new and scary.

I think I'm going to jump in all the way again this weekend.

Oh my god why can't I feed my science machine anything what happened I'm completely lost again sanity what oh no I'm confused and now I've starved

Oh, also this doesn't really fit anywhere, but Klei consistently makes the best looking games around. They should keep doing that and being great.

I found the adventure portal on day 1. Kind of don't want to continue in this world anymore because I don't want to lose it, but at the same time I'm to scared to try adventure mode because I'm still fairly bad at the game. I know adventure mode is risk free but I'd rather survive through at least 1 winter on survival before moving onto adventure mode.

Pollux

I'm currently building a fort. There will be a couple fire pits inside the fort, a house with wooden floors and a sleeping roll, farms, a plot of trees, and a pig house and a bird cage.

The fort is stone walls, surrounded by wooden walls, surrounded by hay walls.

We'll see if I survive long enough to complete this project.

Drazgul

Have they decreased the overall grindiness of the game at all since the early betas (played a bit with friend's copy)? I mean you WILL die several times early on when you don't know the inner workings and such, so starting all over is somewhat annoying since the beginning is so slow going. Do those unlockable characters make it easier once you get them?

Enco

I'm currently building a fort. There will be a couple fire pits inside the fort, a house with wooden floors and a sleeping roll, farms, a plot of trees, and a pig house and a bird cage.

The fort is stone walls, surrounded by wooden walls, surrounded by hay walls.

We'll see if I survive long enough to complete this project.

Lightning burnt down my first fort to the ground.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Lightning burnt down my first fort to the ground.

Oh man, I would cry. Building structures is probably my favorite thing to do in this game, but it's heartbreaking to either die or lose it all or see it destroyed somehow. I'm guessing stone structures are immune to lightning, so I'll go that route in my current game.

Ferrio

Banned
I keep dying on the 14th day. Killed the monsters that bumrushed me, but I was reallly hurt. Decided like an idiot to go graverobbing, and that did me in.

Gotta be a better way to kill them than smashing them over the head.

Flunkie

Banned
wait, structures? I've clearly not survived long enough in this game

as far as goals, I need some other than just "survive"

what should I start out doing?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Build a camp with a home and a farm. There's a lot of stuff you can do in that respect. I haven't done too much farming yet, but you can grow veggies, produce eggs, etc etc.

I would also recommend crafting some good armor and weapons so that all that work doesn't go to waste.

Zoracka

6 days in and I'm still running aroud with my wood axe and pickaxe. I think I'm doing pretty bad, but the game is brilliant.

Pollux

Oh man, I would cry. Building structures is probably my favorite thing to do in this game, but it's heartbreaking to either die or lose it all or see it destroyed somehow. I'm guessing stone structures are immune to lightning, so I'll go that route in my current game.

That's what I'm doing. Everything is stone except the ring around my the second and third outer rings around the fort which are wood and hay respectively.

Also can I dig up tree stumps?

Killthee

Have they decreased the overall grindiness of the game at all since the early betas (played a bit with friend's copy)? I mean you WILL die several times early on when you don't know the inner workings and such, so starting all over is somewhat annoying since the beginning is so slow going. Do those unlockable characters make it easier once you get them?
It's a bit easier cause there's more loot drops and recipes, but they've also added to the grind by making clothes degrade over time. There's mods that help with the grind though (infinite clothes, infinite tools, backpack slots, detailed maps, auto pickup, etc...).

I keep dying on the 14th day. Killed the monsters that bumrushed me, but I was reallly hurt. Decided like an idiot to go graverobbing, and that did me in.

Gotta be a better way to kill them than smashing them over the head.
Make sure you always have some armor to mitigate the damage. Log Suit + Football Helmet should be easy to get in the first few days and make surviving a lot easier.

You can also:
  1. Bribe the pigs with meat to make them your bodyguards for 1 day.
  2. Kite the enemies to a pig and have him fight him for you for free.
  3. Kite spiders into a trap.
  4. Build a ranged weapon.
  5. Make a sleep dart or pan flute to put enemies to sleep.

That's what I'm doing. Everything is stone except the ring around my the second and third outer rings around the fort which are wood and hay respectively.

Also can I dig up tree stumps?
Yes
, dig them with a shovel to get an extra log.

jacket320

The game is great; I've been hooked for a couple of weeks and had to put it down while waiting for the final patch. Looking forward to jumping back in and heading into adventure mode this weekend!

Ferrio

Banned
Does grass take a long time to grow? I had a huge farm, and the shit never grew. My sapplings were growing fine.

L00P

Does grass take a long time to grow? I had a huge farm, and the shit never grew. My sapplings were growing fine.
you need to fertilize it with poop. Same with berry bushes.

I have a day 90+ save that I'm afraid to touch again. Feels like I am just going to straight up die a few moments after I boot it up

For me it's generally scout out areas while collecting stuff for the first few days. Getting gold is one of the most important things early on to get your tech buildings up and running. Part of my scout/scavenge routine is setting trees on fire at night since I'm not really doing much anyways which allows me to get my crockpot up and running once I get my base camp. That's basically a very rough guide of what I'm doing myself at the moment. I've dabbled in planting things in farms and it seems alright (although manure intensive).

My first few attempts all ended because I struggled to keep myself fed, but now I'm at the point where keeping up my hunger is simple but I keep getting overzealous while fighting things and dying.

I played this back in December. Is there a good summary of major changes?

Kind of thinking of jumping back, but also I got a bit bored dying on day 6 or 8 or whatever, and then having to start over again. Almost had a Terraria kick for me, but the rogue-like qualities back then disincentivized me getting too attached.

Pollux

Just made it to Day 20 and got killed by some of those walking bird things :(

Will play again later

This game is insanely addicting.

Out of curiosity, whose y'alls go to character? I'm partial to the Muscle Man myself.

Top Bottom