• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve |OT| Survive. Thrive. Die.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Caves beta is out and they've launched a new test build forum.

Kevin said:
May 13th Build

Welcome to the testing branch!

When Don't Starve was in open beta, we released updates to the world after some internal testing. This worked well enough when the playerbase was small, and when the core game was still in active development. There were bugs, and emergency fixes, but that was a normal part of beta development. Now that the game is launched, however, we want to be more careful about introducing bugs to the live game. This is where you come in!

Part of the reason for our longer update cycle is that we have built in a week of open testing into every new update. We are finishing our work early, and then publishing it on a special steam branch for players to check out early. If you are the adventurous type, we'd really appreciate your help with this!

This is completely optional. If you do choose to try the beta branch, it will not interfere with your existing save files, because the beta branch uses a different naming convention. You can switch between the branches at any time, although keep in mind that we will be shutting down the beta branch when the update goes live.

When you are playing the beta branch, keep your eyes open for bugs. If you find anything strange, please report it in this sub-forum. Please don't report it in the normal bug forum, because that will get confusing.
Also, you should probably keep all discussion of the upcoming features to this forum, so that you don't spoil anything for people who choose to wait for the actual update.

Instructions for switching branches:
  • Right click on Don't Starve in your steam library
  • Go to the betas tab
  • Select "publicpreview" to play the current testing branch. There is no password. If you don't see that branch listed, it means that we aren't currently running a public test.
  • To get back to the normal version, select "NONE" - this will happen automatically for you when we shut down the preview

(You may need to restart steam for your changes to take effect.)

May 13th Release notes (Build 77524):

This is the first test build for the initial cave update. We'll be pushing new builds throughout this week as we finish outstanding tasks and fix issues. Please keep in mind that this is just the first of several cave updates. The full, polished cave experience is currently planned to be done by mid-August. We'll keep you updated as we get closer to that date.

What's new:

Caves. Er... there's lots of stuff down there. Check it out! Also please try some adventure mode and a survival, just to make sure we didn't accidentally break in there.

Known issues that will be fixed for the 21st:
  • The spitter spider is using temporary art for its projectile.
  • Most of the new description strings aren't yet written.
  • Eyebones and teleportato parts turn to ash if you bring them into the cave.
  • World collision is a bit off. There are some invisible walls, and the aboveground ledges don't quite line up.

Long-term known issues that will be fixed in future updates:
  • The overall underground economy / difficulty level isn't particularly tuned yet. We are trying to err on the side of 'hard' for the next couple of updates.
  • Characters clip into walls when they get too close.
  • Walls can block your view sometimes.

Carm

So 38 days after preordering the game on their official website I finally got the TF2 promotional items. After emailing Valve support, then humblebundle and Klei Entertainment, they found out they were originally mistaken and only Steam preorders were supposed to get the items. Klei did say however that all purchases would get it.

So, after some back and forth with them saying they were waiting on Valve to get them Steam keys for the items, I finally got the items. I had sent the last email I was gonna send yesterday before going to Paypal to dispute the purchase if I didn't receive the items advertised or got a refund from them. They emailed me back saying they finally, not 5 minutes prior to my email got the keys from Valve.

Very disappointing experience and it will probably be the last time I buy direct from a devs official game site.

traveler

Not Wario
So this was announced for the PS4 at Sony's conference- any ideas on how they'll do the interface? It's a pretty mouse intensive setup at the moment. I wonder if they'll actually let you pause while looking through building options/current items and equips. Would be convenient, but would also rob the game of some of its tension and time sensitive nature.

Guevara

So this was announced for the PS4 at Sony's conference- any ideas on how they'll do the interface? It's a pretty mouse intensive setup at the moment. I wonder if they'll actually let you pause while looking through building options/current items and equips. Would be convenient, but would also rob the game of some of its tension and time sensitive nature.

Right now, our challenge is to implement a great interface for the PS4 controller. Some things, like movement and combat, are straightforward and arguably better on the controller than on the mouse, while others, like inventory management, are going to need some serious thought. We’ve already got a rudimentary system up, and it’s just great to be able to control Wilson on analog sticks.​

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/06/10/dont-starve-on-ps4/

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
not enough talk about this great game!

Im in the middle of a 4 night hotel trip to some tiny town in england for a course and bought this along (runs great on surface pro).

thought I was awesome at it. apparently some kind of dogs show up and murder you though at day 12ish wtf.

how does anyone do their bases? I was busy building stone walls, but that was.... difficult to finish in time, had a big gap in my base and those damn dogs.

Killthee

not enough talk about this great game!

Im in the middle of a 4 night hotel trip to some tiny town in england for a course and bought this along (runs great on surface pro).

thought I was awesome at it. apparently some kind of dogs show up and murder you though at day 12ish wtf.

how does anyone do their bases? I was busy building stone walls, but that was.... difficult to finish in time, had a big gap in my base and those damn dogs.
There's audio cues for the attacks, so I tend to avoid fortifying my base. Too many resources/time and you don't really need to bother with it as long as you build it in a good location (away from spiders and near a good food source [
beefalo's
]). As long you have some wood armor and a spear the dogs shouldn't be too much of an issue.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
There's audio cues for the attacks, so I tend to avoid fortifying my base. Too many resources/time and you don't really need to bother with it as long as you build it in a good location (away from spiders and near a good food source [
beefalo's
]). As long you have some wood armor and a spear the dogs shouldn't be too much of an issue.
just beat the dogs back one time.

what's the deal on killing the beefalos? if there's more than one, they're a crazy heard of stampeding death.

Doing pretty well now, 16 days in, but didn't even scratch the surface of magic yet. game is huge and a lot of risk all the time.

Mabans

Neo Member
im the greatest at this game

and I still wish it had some form of co-op

I thought about that too but it would make the game far too easy.. A Cool feature could be though similar to what original Demon Souls did where left clues from dead players would be interesting. So maybe the dead bodies found would give clues and tips on surviving..

what's the deal on killing the beefalos? if there's more than one, they're a crazy heard of stampeding death.

This where Ingenuity comes into play. Beefalo fall under the "innocents" category. Kill too many and a demon comes around and ran sacks your base. Beefalo have great meat though. So when hounds come around, I run into the beefalos, which sets them off to beat off hounds. Sometimes hounds get the better of them and win. I'm not in winter yet but hear if you shave them during the winter, they freeze to death and you can get meat that way too. There are so many little to be figured out yet.. Day 17, highest I've been was 39 days. Winter was ROUGH! best that Heat Stone ASAP

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
I hope the PC version will get controller support too so that I can buy it on PC. Comfy couch support is a must imho.

Killthee

Doing pretty well now, 16 days in, but didn't even scratch the surface of magic yet. game is huge and a lot of risk all the time.
You have to isolate them from the main herd. Smack one and then kite him away. The other members of the herd will eventually give up going after you, but the one you smacked will continue following you for a bit more which should give you the distance you need to not get murdered by the group. Be aware though when
their buts start glowing red they're in mating season and they will attack unprovoked anything that gets near them, including hounds and spiders. Wear a beefalo hat to avoid this during mating season.
I hope the PC version will get controller support too so that I can buy it on PC. Comfy couch support is a must imho.
Already confirmed.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=64926371

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
god damn this game. made it up past 20 days. then the hounds came while i was on an expedition. made it back to my base and wanted to isolate myself in there by building the last part of the stone wall, closing me in to laugh at the hounds, of course the hounds start arriving and the janky wall building thing crapped out, leaving me to fight them with a spear and no armor :( died right away, resurrected and went back and they were trapped in my base with my stuff. foolishly took a go at killing them, died game over.

good round though, discovered the ups/downs of grave robbing and so forth.

derFeef

Any word on a coop mode yet? I love me some sandbox coop, especially for survival type games. There aren't too many of those.

Since no one has seem to have posted it here yet, there's a new update trailer - Strange New Powers

It showcases new skills for most of the cast
as well as introduce a new character.

Update will be out July 2nd.

Can someone tell me about the netbook graphics settings?

I have an Asus X401A laptop
Windows 7
Intel Pentium B970 @ 2.30GHz
64-bit Operating System
Intel HD Graphics
3.89 GB of Ram

Another GAFfer said I could run the game but I like multiple opinions.

Killthee

Can someone tell me about the netbook graphics settings?

I have an Asus X401A laptop
Windows 7
Intel Pentium B970 @ 2.30GHz
64-bit Operating System
Intel HD Graphics
3.89 GB of Ram

Another GAFfer said I could run the game but I like multiple opinions.
There's a demo up on the Chrome Store. If you can run it there, you shouldn't have much of an issue running the standalone or the Steam version.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dont-starve/hiledapehlkhdehbhppgmekfalnlfajc?hl=en-US

I'm finally playing Don't Starve and it's amazing. Blows Minecraft out of the water, at least in atmosphere and tension (and survival aspects of course)

So, my suggestion is a simple one...a musket. I think it's low tech enough to fit in with the world and steampunk/mystical atmosphere and with science and crafting being major aspects, a firearm makes sense as a logical progression.

Pros:
- High damage at short range
- Maybe decreased sanity loss (because you feel braver with a firearm?)
- Ammo could be used for fuel

Cons:
- Ammo is hard to craft/very rare
- Random chance of a misfire (increased by rain/snow)
- Poor accuracy at far ranges
- Only have one shot before having to reload
- Reloading would take a while (think civil war musket-style)
- Maybe increased hunger loss (because carrying around a heavy firearm wears you out?)

So you'd have to weigh short term safety against long term survival and the potential of the gun blowing up in your face.

Thoughts?

Killthee

Can you rebind the keys in this game? A search on the Steam forums suggests "No".
Not at the moment, but it's part of their update roadmap.

New Platforms, New Controls
As you may already know, Don’t Starve is coming to PS4. In addition, many of Don’t Starve players have asked for us to support the controller natively on the PC. We’re happy to say that Steam and standalone builds will get controller support and re-bindable keys (finally!). We will also have Big Picture support on Steam.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=64926371
As for ETA, the roadmap covers improvements they plan to release between now and late Oct. No specific ETA was given for that particular update.

Afro

The sound design in this game is quality. Love how each biome sounds different. Definitely play this with headphones and the music slider to zero. "Enveloping" is the best word to describe it. Feels like in actually in the middle of a forest with all the different types of insects and wildlife surrounding me. Amazing.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Bought this due to summer sale, and oh my god is this game HARD. I need some tips guys :(

how are you dying? berries help early, you need a source of meat. trapping rabbits is a good thing to master quickly.

my first day is pretty much wood/flint/sticks/straw as much as possible.

don't forget to cook food as much as possible.

After that I strike out and find gold, you need that science machine to get yourself a crockpot.

Is the game still on open beta?

They said that there would be an story mode... does it exist already?

I usually try to avoid "early access" games, and wait for the retail / full version, so thats why i am asking.

Killthee

Is the game still on open beta?

They said that there would be an story mode... does it exist already?

I usually try to avoid "early access" games, and wait for the retail / full version, so thats why i am asking.
Yeah they finished the story mode and launched the "full" game back in April. The game is still being updated on a ~3 week schedule though for the next few months at which point they'll reevaluate what to do going forward. You can see what they plan on adding/tweaking here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=597001

Don't let the frequent updates deter you from trying the game though. IIRC, at launch they said the story mode & sandbox mode won't be tweaked much cause they don't think its right to sell the game at this point and then the next day push out an update with major changes. Which is why most of the new content they've been focusing on is centered around their new biome, the Caves, an optional area separate from the 2 other modes.

Killthee

Grrrrrr! >:-[
Update is out, it seems pretty basic at the moment. I don't see any options for the hotbar or the crafting bar.

ZiNdYdz.jpg
7DZBDHw.jpg

I´m new to this game, bought it during the summer sale on Steam, and while I do like the game, isn't it a bit hard to find gold in the game? I'm on my fourth try now, and every time it takes days and days to find gold. And since I feel the game really only starts when you have the science machine, that requires gold, it kinda kills the pacing in the beginning.

I changed to settings one time so that the game world would have more stones/mineral, but then it spawned so much of it that it felt like cheating.

Killthee

I´m new to this game, bought it during the summer sale on Steam, and while I do like the game, isn't it a bit hard to find gold in the game? I'm on my fourth try now, and every time it takes days and days to find gold. And since I feel the game really only starts when you have the science machine, that requires gold, it kinda kills the pacing in the beginning.

I changed to settings one time so that the game world would have more stones/mineral, but then it spawned so much of it that it felt like cheating.
The way I handle it is I go on a scout run on day 1 & 2. I just run around all over the place with the primary goal being to map as much area as I can. When night hits I equip a torch and continue running while using the map to figure out my position. Once I know where a quarry biome is located I try position my camp to the nearest beefalo herd to the quarry and begin to scavenge for supplies.

The way I handle it is I go on a scout run on day 1 & 2. I just run around all over the place with the primary goal being to map as much area as I can. When night hits I equip a torch and continue running while using the map to figure out my position. Once I know where a quarry biome is located I try position my camp to the nearest beefalo herd to the quarry and begin to scavenge for supplies.

Yeah that helped. Got a better flow in the game now.

Disabled the hounds for the current run now. The game is challenging enough as it is without them.

soepje

Just started playing, seems nice but it´s challenging indeed. Is there a way to carry more things? I keep filling all the slots, and then i have to throw some of my carefully collected things away again :p

Just started playing, seems nice but it´s challenging indeed. Is there a way to carry more things? I keep filling all the slots, and then i have to throw some of my carefully collected things away again :p

You can build a backpack for quite few resources once you have a science machine.

This game felt great at the beginning, but after 13 hours it feels like it's starting to get a bit old to run around and get food. Maybe it's more fun when you start to get an efficient food production running around your camp, but I'm not there yet.

I can't seem to get into the flow of this game. I love the idea and I love the randomization, but it feels like it takes forever to actually get started. And any progress you make isn't all that helpful.

By the time I've set up a (very) basic camp, all my meters are out and I'm spending the day finding food that doesn't actually fill anything up. And when I was able to forge weapons and armor, it still didn't help much when I faced even low level monsters.

Any tips?

Grinchy

Banned
^I don't have any tips, but I think I agree with what you're saying. I really love the look of the game and the idea behind it, but I can never seem to play it for very long. I get so damn bored of chopping trees, picking up sticks, ect. It is just such a tedious grind that I get bored quickly.

Killthee

Looks like Workshop support is now in beta!

I can't seem to get into the flow of this game. I love the idea and I love the randomization, but it feels like it takes forever to actually get started. And any progress you make isn't all that helpful.

By the time I've set up a (very) basic camp, all my meters are out and I'm spending the day finding food that doesn't actually fill anything up. And when I was able to forge weapons and armor, it still didn't help much when I faced even low level monsters.

Any tips?
Are you cooking your food? Eating raw food, even berries and carrots, isn't as beneficial as eating the cooked version. Eventually you can also build a crockpot that lets you cook complicated recipes for a bigger restoration and a drying rack that lets you turn meat into jerky.

If you want a steady source of easy food though you have to make your camp near a grass field so you can farm the beefalo. Each beefalo drops several pieces of meat, but you have to make sure to be wearing armor, attacking with a spear, and most importantly you have to kite them away from the herd cause they go berserk when you attack any of them. So basically look for one not near any of the others, hit him, run away until the others stop following and there's no other beefalo around, hit him twice, run away so you don't get hit with his attack, hit him twice, run away, repeat till he dies. There's also rabbit holes in the graass fields, you can set up traps on top of the holes to catch them easily. You should get a good amount of food from that and your next priority should be making a fridge to store food, drying racks, and relocating berry bushes closer to your camp.

As for the monsters, you should be trying to avoid them as much as possible the first week until you have a handle of their attack patterns and an idea of how much damage you can take. Also don't bother with the grass armor, go straight for the wood one and when fighting try to go 1 vs 1 cause you can easily get overpowered when facing multiple mobs. Kiting is crucial in order to separate mobs into smaller groups. Another tip is to guide monsters into neutral camps like beefalo herds/pig villages. If the neutral mob gets hit by the monster trying to attack you he'll start to attack them. Just be careful you don't him the neutral mob or else they'll attack you as well. Also keep an eye out for beefalo herds in mating season, they'll attack anything nearby (including you if you don't have a beefalo hat) which comes in handy when you have monsters on your tail.

I'd also recommend giving some of the mods a look. You can mix and match them to find a difficulty setting that works for you. Off the top of my head you might want to look into MiniMap (adds more details to the map), InfiniteFoods (removes food rot), & Starter Inventory (gives you some basic items when you spawn). Once you have a better grasp of the game you can start disabling them if you want a more difficult scenario.

soepje

Quick question, is there a way to find out what is inside a chest before opening it? I was in 7 days, saw a chest, opened it and it exploded... dead :/

Killthee

Quick question, is there a way to find out what is inside a chest before opening it? I was in 7 days, saw a chest, opened it and it exploded... dead :/
Don't believe so. IIRC, there's usually clues around trap set pieces like rotting food or gunpowder.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I've finally become 'good' at this game. survived winter in style and killed that fucking deerclops monster.

Can now essentially escape to the next world if I want, got the magic systems sorted well enough as well.

loving the game, I could essentially get out before 2nd winter if I wanted but I wanna make the large piggy pack to take a bunch of stuff to the 2nd world and have everything available.

getting more into the farming aspect now, planting bee boxes flowers and getting grass and twigs setup near my farm as well. bird cages are go, loads of improved farms and 2 cool boxes to keep my meat cool.

I tricked that stupid massive deer monster into punching a beefalo... triggered a beefalo stampede, that thing killed like 20 beefalo :( there was too much meat for me to eat and I didn't have cool boxes yet so I had to feed it to pigs, 4x jerky stands and more stew than I could carry, even crafted 2x meat effigy. still 20 big steaks rotted.

by next winter, I'm gonna have bee bombs and tooth traps all over the shop to take down that asshole.

Top Bottom