• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve |OT| Survive. Thrive. Die.

Twinduct

Gah, I've been killed by god trees way too many times :/
Really hope this makes it's way to the Vita (as they've said they're interested). This game would be perfect to play in short bursts

fresquito

So new game and first I find is a kind of fort with a chest that contains powder and a fire wand and something else. There're big bones and a pig head with flies too. Since it's the first day I told myself: Stay in the fort, don't mind the bones or the pig head, it'll be ok. It's been, second day starts with a fire wand in my hand :-D

I don't know if it's the right decission, but the fort with the big bones and the pig head with flies is my new home :-D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Speaking of forts, Klei needs to add doors in an update so I don't have to keep building/breaking a block as a makeshift solution. I know it's not often that you would actually need to be completely protected behind walls, but still, I'm OCD and want to build a complete fort.

Madouu

So new game and first I find is a kind of fort with a chest that contains powder and a fire wand and something else. There're big bones and a pig head with flies too. Since it's the first day I told myself: Stay in the fort, don't mind the bones or the pig head, it'll be ok. It's been, second day starts with a fire wand in my hand :-D

I don't know if it's the right decission, but the fort with the big bones and the pig head with flies is my new home :-D

Yup I found the same fort not far away from my base on like the third day, it's pretty useful. There's a spider nest next to it too.

I've been pretty lucky on this playthrough, plenty of food right next to my spawning point and all kind of resources not very far away too. I'm sure things are going to take a turn for the worst in the next few days though.

Also, I was digging up graves and something I picked up had my insanity plummet to like 40 from max, I wonder what that is. (I got a bunch of items I had never picked up before and I was clicking too fast to know which one exactly did that). I then went to catch some rabbits right after for food and I wasted quite a few carrots on them only to realize they were actually beardlings... Oh well, I guess nightmare fuel is good too and I built a tent right after that so I'm back into sane territory for now.

Ilive1up

Speaking of forts, Klei needs to add doors in an update so I don't have to keep building/breaking a block as a makeshift solution. I know it's not often that you would actually need to be completely protected behind walls, but still, I'm OCD and want to build a complete fort.

100x this. i was just chased by hounds and was running in circles around my camp. i managed to kill them, but it was hella annoying. i'm on day 28 a few days into the winter season. does the winter season last as long as the others?

Daingurse

100x this. i was just chased by hounds and was running in circles around my camp. i managed to kill them, but it was hella annoying. i'm on day 28 a few days into the winter season. does the winter season last as long as the others?

A Tall-Bird chased my bro to death, he could have used a door lol.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Winter is ~15 days while Summer is ~20.

Madouu

Yup died on the 22nd day, sadness. Hounds as I was low on health from some spider runs a day before. Would've survived if I had a door but I don't know if I really want that, would make things pretty easy I guess... or maybe not I don't really know...

Qvoth

just tried the game, good thing i watched some streams 1st, if not i would've hated this game lol
i'll try and break through 10 days for now

Atomski

22 days survived, my character is losing his mind and low on health.. doubt I will make it another day or two.

Love this game..

wilflare

Gah, I've been killed by god trees way too many times :/
Really hope this makes it's way to the Vita (as they've said they're interested). This game would be perfect to play in short bursts

ditto. the suspend feature makes this an awesome game to play while commuting!

fresquito

I wish the game paused when you're checking what you can build. I try to check that at night, but come on, nights are short and I can't get to plan anything with this short time. When I finish checking what I can build and what I need to build something, it's already midday!

pilonv1

Loving the game so far, but people getting to day 22 on their third run make me feel like an idiot.

Don't, it took me half a dozen runs to break a 15. You shouldn't look at each run as a failure unless you're not exploring and experiencing/finding new stuff. It's all about learning.

Madouu

Well then...

8KCDV33.jpg

RIP

Those walls ended up being more of a nuisance than anything, they did buy me a bit of time but one of the hounds got stuck in between the rocks and I tried my best to bait him out until somehow he hit me from the other side of the rocks. I wish combat was a bit better in this game :/

Oh and I had left some stone walls on the ground to close off my mini fort in case enemies attack, well that didn't work out too well either... I did try to place them when hounds attacked but I ended up getting stuck on the other side of my fort. It was pretty funny, having to make a hammer while kiting hound, only to realize I didn't have enough rope. And when I finally make one, destroy the wall blocking me on the outside and put another mini wall to get to safety, I still die. Damn.

It's a shame, this playthrough was pretty good. I made about 5 farms nearby, had plenty of berry bushes around, planted enough trees, had access to rocks and gold, spiders, beefalos and I was starting to make some bee boxes. I even had frogs close. Guess I need to work a bit on my defenses now and always make sure I have a respawn available.

I need to think about a smarter way to build my base. I did put some tooth traps at the entrance too but that wasn't very useful. I brought one of the hounds to a tree god nearby which like one shot him but like I said the other one kind of glitched and got me. I'm starting to think the best defense early on might be having pigs, tree gods or beefalos close by. Finally, I also need to keep some extra health regen with me at all times.

I also lost Chester in the middle of all that havoc, I guess the poor little guy can die too.

Jintor

I don't even bother with walls, they're more hassle then they're worth. If you can't lead hounds to a nearby buffalo pack or relocated pig village you've gotta get a better base camp

Madouu

I don't even bother with walls, they're more hassle then they're worth. If you can't lead hounds to a nearby buffalo pack or relocated pig village you've gotta get a better base camp

Yeah that's exactly what I am thinking now. Building walls is a huge time waster too since days are so short in this game. A lesson learnt the hard way I guess.

Morokh

Yeah that's exactly what I am thinking now. Building walls is a huge time waster too since days are so short in this game. A lesson learnt the hard way I guess.

Your wall setup isn't bad in itself, I have a similar layout but sideways (following the actual tiles of the game world) with a corner open (but 2 blocks wide), the entrance is filled with like a dozen tooth traps and I only get one or two dogs getting past it and rarely at the same time.
I always keep a log suit and a spear on the floor so I can grab it quickly and i'm usually fine.

It's also my first playthrough where I was able to get through the first winter entirely, and i'm at 70+ days now. (nearing the third one)

Sad thing is, now that I explored a bit i just figured-out my map sucks xD I have Buffalos and the pig king not too far, but It looks like I settled in one corner of the map, and pretty much everything interesting in the long run (Adventure portal / Teleportato) is at least 2 days away and not easily reachable through wormholes :/

Such a wonderful game.

Had no idea it existed until I saw it here on Neogaf (same with FTL, which is also awesome), so thanks guys.

Living on the edge, and loving it...

psy18

Survived until the 2nd winter... on the 60-something day the hound decides to attack me at night.
I thought I was ready.. but the pack is too large... ran in circles around the camp to wait the sun so I can run to the beefalo packs... they got me just a few seconds until noon.

Resurrected at random meat effigy... got frozen to death on the way back to the camp... twice...

Lesson learned:
-prepare a torch if something's coming to get you at night so you can lead them to the beefalos
-put some survival and winter stuff around meat effigy

surviving through winter:
-traps & bunny holes are easy way to avoid starvation during winter since berries & farms don't grow. Just lay the trap on top of the rabbit hole and leave them. Cook meatballs (4 morsels) with the cooking pot to recover lots of hunger
-Heat stone & earmuffs are not difficult to make and quite helpful to delay the freezing effect

against spider queen & tree monster:
-Just kite them. Bait for their attack, close in and land 2 hits, run away. Repeat until win.

Carm

So, I heard back from Valve today and as it was expected they said the TF2 promo items were only if you prepurchased from the Valve store, so time to do the dance with 3 different companies now.

So, just to ask again, have any of you prepurchased this game from www.dontstarvegame.com humblebundle site, and received the TF2 items after inputting the key humblebundle sent to you?

Protein

Banned
This game is incredible. If you love survival games then this game will be pure gold. It's amazing how everything can be going great then nature or some random occurrence or your own incompetence will fuck you over. And that's the best part.

Killthee

They did an audio interview recently where they briefly explain how it's gonna work (~7:30 mark). Basically they consider the main game complete and they want to avoid a situation where they update the main game with a new mechanic some people might not like. This is where caves come in, they'll be an optional portal that will take you to a new land. Making it optional gives them the freedom to do anything they want.

I really want to like this game because it hits a lot of the right notes, but permadeath is just such a deterrent. The game is so difficult and luck plays such a prominent role that death seems to be almost inevitable, and then---have to start all over again. Any sense of accomplishment or victory would be fleeting and easily erased.

Killthee

I really want to like this game because it hits a lot of the right notes, but permadeath is just such a deterrent. The game is so difficult and luck plays such a prominent role that death seems to be almost inevitable, and then---have to start all over again. Any sense of accomplishment or victory would be fleeting and easily erased.
Create an account over at the game forums and download the Camp Res mod. You can still die (and drop your inventory during death), but you'll respawn at the last firepit you made instead of having to start from scratch in a new world.

You can also try the new custom world preset they pushed out today (Default Plus). It starts you off in a new world with a couple of full chest and some blueprints so you don't have to waste the first week doing the basics. Be aware it also lowers some resources, but you can boost them back to normal before starting the game.

Madouu

I've started another playthrough and thanks to your advice guys I'm doing a bit better, I'm at day 26 now and trying to survive my first winter. I focused on the essentials this time without taking too much risks. Mainly stocked up on the basic resources and rabbits, lots of rabbits (The three upper chests are full of them). First winter is a bit boring though since I can't go far away with just a heat stone.

I still haven't found any beefalos, bees or spider nests though, I hope I'll be able to explore more if I survive winter.

Mr. Robot

This game is great, i have survived with Wendy the most so far, and found a respawn point when i started the game, which i ended up using when i made a bee box and tried to collect honey thinking that my own bees wouldn't attack me, but i was wrong, i could almost hear her screaming "THEY ARE IN MY EYES!", now im running out of food, and will have to resort to bunnies...

Protein

Banned
Some creepy child-like music started playing and a black hand ascended from the darkness and put out my campfire. My game then crashed, is this a random occurrence? Because it scared the shit out of me.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I was doing pretty well on this last playthrough (got to winter for the first time), but died on day 25 because of some dumb shit. The two pigs I had fed earlier had been sleeping by my fire. Turns out it was a full moon and they turned into werepigs. I survived that by running around, but they got a decent chunk of health off. Then in the morning I headed south to mine some rocks, and a tentacle killed me. Didn't remember it was a swampy area -_- worst part? I don't think I even needed the rocks for anything in particular. Dumb dumb dumb.

Killthee

Some creepy child-like music started playing and a black hand ascended from the darkness and put out my campfire. My game then crashed, is this a random occurrence? Because it scared the shit out of me.
It happens when your sanity reaches a certain level. You can "fight" them by standing on them till they creep back into the darkness.

fresquito

I was doing pretty well on this last playthrough (got to winter for the first time), but died on day 25 because of some dumb shit. The two pigs I had fed earlier had been sleeping by my fire. Turns out it was a full moon and they turned into werepigs. I survived that by running around, but they got a decent chunk of health off. Then in the morning I headed south to mine some rocks, and a tentacle killed me. Didn't remember it was a swampy area -_- worst part? I don't think I even needed the rocks for anything in particular. Dumb dumb dumb.
I feel your pain. Today I got to winter for the first time. I was exploring a terrain to the north of my settlement and night was falling when I reached the marshes for the first time. There was a big battle going on, between spiders and what seemed frog-like monsters. I decided to pull back and pass the night in a safe spot. In the morning (Day 20, winter), I went to the battle ground and saw lots of item drops. When I was going to get them, a tentacle appears out of nowhere and kills me in an instant.

The sad part is that my resurrection point was already gone because some days earlier the buffalos had a crisis and killed me with their red asses glowing.

Edit: What are bee boxes for? I created one hoping for some honey, but the days went on and there was no honey to be found. Maybe it's because there were no flowers around... xD

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I feel your pain. Today I got to winter for the first time. I was exploring a terrain to the north of my settlement and night was falling when I reached the marshes for the first time. There was a big battle going on, between spiders and what seemed frog-like monsters. I decided to pull back and pass the night in a safe spot. In the morning (Day 20, winter), I went to the battle ground and saw lots of item drops. When I was going to get them, a tentacle appears out of nowhere and kills me in an instant.

The sad part is that my resurrection point was already gone because some days earlier the buffalos had a crisis and killed me with their red asses glowing.

Edit: What are bee boxes for? I created one hoping for some honey, but the days went on and there was no honey to be found. Maybe it's because there were no flowers around... xD

That sucks :( funnily enough, same thing happened to my resurrection point too lol

And I think you're right, my friends were telling me that it's a combination of number of bees and amount of flowers in the area (haven't made any myself). I'm guessing production slows in winter too (like most things).

Grinchy

Banned
I just bought this game this morning. I played for an hour and I'm on Day 7. I barely have any idea what I'm doing so far and I'm trying not to use any guides yet.

I set up a little base in a pig village. I'm still messing around with everything so I decided to start building those wooden walls to fortify my camp. Night came and of course I burnt that shit to the ground lmao

fresquito

Tentacles need some fixing/rethinking. They hurt so bad. You can't see them until you are near and their AoE is massive. Besides, since you can't attack them until you're near, since they are lurking, there's not a very good way to fight them. Of course, you can ignore them altogether and never put foot on marshes, but reeds are so important that you have to explore marshes the moment you find them, so, there you go. BTW, I wish you could dig reeds and plant them elsewhere.

Madouu

Oh man football helmet + log suit + Abigail helps so much. I've started another playthrough as Wendy* and I'm almost at day 40. I can harvest resources much more efficiently and hounds don't cause that much of an issue.

I'll detail my playthrough with a few screens later.

pilonv1

Last game I found a walking cane. Everything feels so slow now, I haven't even found the place I need to get the hard item for it :(

Been playing this off and on for about a month now. Furthest I've gotten is about 30 days, haven't found winter too demanding, I normally set up camp near a large amount of rabbit holes and burn down a bunch of trees for charcoal. Then just live off meatballs and jerky during winter. Only problem is both times that I've been doing well in winter, I've gotten bored and tried to push on with the rest of the game, which has lead to disaster, first time I
killed the winter koala-phant to make a winter jacket
but didn't have enough silk, so went searching for a spider nest and died too far away from my base. And the second I went hunting the walrus family, managed to kill them, but died to some tall birds that the bigger one had run into as I was chasing him. Funny thing is both times I've
resurrected at a dead pig shrine way too far away from my camp with no items and frozen to death trying to make it back
just to add insult to injury.

This game definitely brings out my inner masochist.

Grinchy

Banned
This game should be right up my alley, but I think I'm on Day 20 and I'm just kinda bored with it. I probably should look at a wiki to see what kinds of things I can do, but I find myself playing for 20ish minutes and then quitting out of boredom. It just seems tedious and slow. And that's coming from a guy who has played Minecraft for hundreds of hours.

This game should be right up my alley, but I think I'm on Day 20 and I'm just kinda bored with it. I probably should look at a wiki to see what kinds of things I can do, but I find myself playing for 20ish minutes and then quitting out of boredom. It just seems tedious and slow. And that's coming from a guy who has played Minecraft for hundreds of hours.

Definitely refer to an external resource to see all the things you can do once you have your base food production set up. The game is actually kind of poor in providing continually ramping up pressure (dog spawns, which do get tougher, are easily dealt with via a stone walled "panic room" full of traps for the rest of the game) and hunger is easily circumvented via specific constructions and recipes to easily convert monster meat. There is still lots of cool stuff to craft and building out your fort is still entertaining.

The next update should open things up a lot for players who get to that "steady state" at turn 60 or so where they can only really die to carelessness and are looking for things to do in the game.

Well, bought the game. It's downloading right now (the internet is horrible here, but 150MB still goes fast enough). I've watched a WTF from Totalhalibut and as always, that made me buy it.

Can't wait!

Top Bottom