• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

Pimpwerx

I'm gonna jump into the game in a few hours. Any advice on how to reliably track down those creatures that drop gears? I'm gonna try building that accomplishment thingy or whatever for the two trophies. I just haven't found them yet, eventhough I've done a good bit of exploring each time I play.

Also, any suggestions on unlocking adventure mode? I'm looking to get to that too. I feel I'm ready for that challenge. Someone mentioned they felt like the days get longer, and tha'ts how it feels for me too. Those days in the 20s felt like forever. However, I'm pretty sure that's not the case. The day/night lengths change day-by-day according to the seasons, but the overall day should be the same length of time (I'm assuming about a 5 minutes cycle, but I haven't timed it). However, I feel like I can get to Day5 or so without even trying, but then by Day15 or so, I feel like I want to take a break, and I can usually feel fatigue setting in. Kinda crazy, but I almost feel like my sanity levels dip with the game character's. LOL!

Anyway, fun little game, but I feel like just getting the trophies, completing adventure mode and then getting back to some of the other unfinished games I own. PEACE.

ArrrrghX

Neo Member
Really frustrated - but excited to play!

As soon as this was announced yesterday, jumped right on PSN store, added to cart, and purchased.

Got an email 5 minutes later saying 14.99 had been added to my wallet.

I got charged for Don't Starve, even though I have PS+ and the cart said 0.00$.

Called Sony - the rep claimed it was not a PS+ free promotion game - even though the website showed it as free.

Long story short - waiting 7-10 days for a supervisor to review the request.

Off to enjoy the game in the meantime!

So what should my priorities be once I find a good spot to settle down? I've got a small bit of foresty area real close to some beefalo, rabbit holes, and a pig town, so I've started building stuff there. Right now I'm just kinda plunking farms down though because I'm not sure where to go from this point.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Wow... didn't think winter would be that crazy. I had gotten a really good spot for camp that had a savannah with tons of beefalos and straw along with lots and lots of rabbit holes. Also had a rock haven not far as well. I had ultimately built a a stone wall around my encampment as well. Was surviving really well with 8 farms churning out food everyday then winter hit. Dang did not know that the cold kill you, and my farms didn't have any output. Got to day 25, and died due to the cold while hunting for more food. Now I know to create a heating stone ahead of time. Question, so are farms completely useless in the winter or do they just develop much more slower? Also how long does winter last?

Winter lasts
for 15 days, though at the beginning and end there are usually a few less threatening, warmer days where you can do things like go fishing and when you aren't in as much danger of freezing.
You're going to want an ample supply of food before it begins, because nothing grows during winter. That includes berries, grass, farm plots, saplings, and anything else I've forgotten.

If you set up camp near several rabbit holes you can eke out an existence during winter by constructing 5 or 6 traps and an equivalent number of drying racks. Set each trap over a rabbit hole. Once a day go and collect the rabbits and reset the traps, then dispatch the rabbits and put their meat morsels on your drying racks. The jerky you produce by doing this restores health, hunger, and sanity, and can get you through the winter. In a pinch you can also go and kill some spiders, nab any monster meat they drop, and dry that on your racks. Monster meat in general damages your health and sanity while restoring hunger, but drying it mitigates the damage. You're still losing health and sanity by eating monster jerky, but much less than you'd lose by eating it either raw or simply cooked over a camp fire.

That's basically the quick way to subsistence-level living during the winter. Actually being productive during the winter is a fair bit more complicated, but entirely possible once you've got a firm grasp on the game's mechanics.

I'm gonna jump into the game in a few hours. Any advice on how to reliably track down those creatures that drop gears? I'm gonna try building that accomplishment thingy or whatever for the two trophies. I just haven't found them yet, eventhough I've done a good bit of exploring each time I play.

Also, any suggestions on unlocking adventure mode? I'm looking to get to that too. I feel I'm ready for that challenge. Someone mentioned they felt like the days get longer, and tha'ts how it feels for me too. Those days in the 20s felt like forever. However, I'm pretty sure that's not the case. The day/night lengths change day-by-day according to the seasons, but the overall day should be the same length of time (I'm assuming about a 5 minutes cycle, but I haven't timed it). However, I feel like I can get to Day5 or so without even trying, but then by Day15 or so, I feel like I want to take a break, and I can usually feel fatigue setting in. Kinda crazy, but I almost feel like my sanity levels dip with the game character's. LOL!

Anyway, fun little game, but I feel like just getting the trophies, completing adventure mode and then getting back to some of the other unfinished games I own. PEACE.

There's three ways to get Gears:
the first two ways are available on the surface, by using a shovel on a grave (which has a very small chance of giving you a gear), and by finding the chessboard-looking area on the map which is populated by robotic enemies. These enemies can drop gears, but there's only a handful of them available to fight. The third way to get them is the only way to get a large number, and is also the most dangerous by far. You need to go to the ruins, which you can reach by finding a plugged sinkhole, destroying the plug with a pickaxe, then descending into the caves. Once you're in the caves you can find another plugged sinkhole, which you can mine out and use to descend into the ruins. The ruins are the most dangerous place in the game by a good country mile, but there's a region in them where tons of robotic enemies will spawn. Kill them and collect their delicious gears.

To start adventure mode,
you need to find a big, scary-looking device called Maxwell's Door on the world map. Go through it and you'll begin adventure mode. The door is placed randomly in every world; you just need to explore until you find it. Good luck.

So what should my priorities be once I find a good spot to settle down? I've got a small bit of foresty area real close to some beefalo, rabbit holes, and a pig town, so I've started building stuff there. Right now I'm just kinda plunking farms down though because I'm not sure where to go from this point.

Priority one should always be to start setting up your food production pipeline. Drying racks are my recommendation for new players, because they're usable year-round and relatively uncomplicated. You just hang meat on them then wait until the meat turns to jerky, then you take the jerky off the rack and repeat. Crock pots are your other main winter-ready food supply, but they're a lot more complicated than drying racks.

Other things I like to do early on are to set up a sapling and grass farm by making a shovel and relocating some of each to my main camp. I also like to plant some pine cones to get a forest started if there's not a natural forest near my camp, and to build some chests so I've got places to store my filthy lucre as it starts to accumulate.

Pimpwerx

There's three ways to get Gears:
the first two ways are available on the surface, by using a shovel on a grave (which has a very small chance of giving you a gear), and by finding the chessboard-looking area on the map which is populated by robotic enemies. These enemies can drop gears, but there's only a handful of them available to fight. The third way to get them is the only way to get a large number, and is also the most dangerous by far. You need to go to the ruins, which you can reach by finding a plugged sinkhole, destroying the plug with a pickaxe, then descending into the caves. Once you're in the caves you can find another plugged sinkhole, which you can mine out and use to descend into the ruins. The ruins are the most dangerous place in the game by a good country mile, but there's a region in them where tons of robotic enemies will spawn. Kill them and collect their delicious gears.

To start adventure mode,
you need to find a big, scary-looking device called Maxwell's Door on the world map. Go through it and you'll begin adventure mode. The door is placed randomly in every world; you just need to explore until you find it. Good luck.

Thanks you, kind sir. That's extremely helpful.

Actually carrots are pretty terrible for hunger, berries are MUCH better.

You sure? I'm pretty sure carrots give me the biggest boost of anything I've eaten so far. The only meat I've eaten is rabbits though. PEACE.

Nooooo! Got to day 20 which was longer than I have previously reached with the PC version. After nurturing Wilson through some rocky times with starvation and insainity some eyeball plants appeared near my camp and killed me and my impressive beard.... the respawn thingy I found was right near some hounds which chased me right away and killed me again!

Pimpwerx

Nooooo! Got to day 20 which was longer than I have previously reached with the PC version. After nurturing Wilson through some rocky times with starvation and insainity some eyeball plants appeared near my camp and killed me and my impressive beard.... the respawn thingy I found was right near some hounds which chased me right away and killed me again!

Yeah. After using a touchstone, I usually find I die again within a few days, except for the one time I tracked down my loot and lasted an additional 10 days. That was helped by a a bunch of mandrakes though. PEACE.

Thanks you, kind sir. That's extremely helpful.

You sure? I'm pretty sure carrots give me the biggest boost of anything I've eaten so far. The only meat I've eaten is rabbits though. PEACE.

Hmm I find carrots to be pretty great for hunger. At least when cooked - haven't tried them raw.

I was looking at the hunger meter when I ate both cooked carrots and cooked berries and the carrots barely even moved it, the berries however made a significant difference.

Maybe that's random too?

Made it to day 8 before I started getting bored. I've been trying to avoid almost every creature since I'm not sure how to kill them without losing a ton of health. Just been slowly making progress learning to build new things. Wish your inventory was larger though. Made the backpack and I'm still having to constantly drop things.

Minamu

Whata weird game xD Picked some grass and flowers, made a hat for some reason. Made a bonfire at my first night and got killed by some oxes or something nearby the day after, but made some axes and a pickaxe for no apparent reason. Cool that my corpse spawned right next to me with some free stuff! Wasn't expecting that. I'm still not sure what to do exactly? Is it just walking around and gather stuff and trying to survive the night? I died on my second first night because of no torch. I'll keep trying tomorrow but I don't really get why, what's the point? I've never touched a roguelike before. Is there no manual? xD Gamefaqs didn't help all that much and I don't want to spoil it anyway.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It is pitch black.
You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

Ha, love this so far.

calder

Loving it, only made it to day 20ish a few times but I'm avoiding tips and learning by painful trial and error. I'm playing the third guy and I hate him, I also hate how awful my map is for certain things (no stone and little food anywhere close to convenient for the other stuff) but I'm long enough into it I don't want to restart.

Looking back to one if my first play throughs is almost painful now, the map was set up almost perfectly (most things close, and a wormhole to another area with everything else lol) but I didn't realize how lucky I was. Being new I died a few days in, such a shame.

Minions

I'm more annoyed by the fact I never seem to have enough time to get the materials and craft health salves, and be ready for Winter with enough stuff stock piled, winter equipment, and defenses/base built. Most of the time it seems I can get tons of gold (40+) or get next to none... I guess... that RNG.

ixix

Anyone have honey gathering tips?

Making an apiary looks complicated but is actually pretty easy. Just use a bug net to kidnap (beenap?) all the bees from a hive then punch it to death to get at that sweet, sweet honeycomb. That'll probably get you all the materials other than the boards to build a Bee Box. For each bee box try to capture about 6 butterflies. Build the box, then "plant" all the butterflies you gathered to create flowers (but not too close to one another, or the bees will freak out and refuse to pollinate them). Bees will then start leaving the box and hitting up the flowers, eventually returning to the box and creating a unit of honey.

Once the boxes are full just mosey on up and harvest it. All the bees will get pissy at you, but that's to be expected on account of they are bees. Harvesting before dusk usually minimizes the number of bees who will swarm you, since most will be out pollinating then and will just ignore you.

Honey's ridiculously efficient, and it's pretty much crucial to
playing Wolfgang effectively, since pairing bee boxes with crock pots gets you easy access to honey hams, honey nuggets, and taffy to assuage the dude's insatiable hunger. An apiary's pretty much mandatory to playing the guy successfully.

Wow... unlocking
Maxwell
is going to be so hard...

If it makes you feel any better, that ain't the hardest thing to unlock.

SPOILER-Y PROTIP:
Wendy is a beast in adventure mode.

I'm more annoyed by the fact I never seem to have enough time to get the materials and craft health salves, and be ready for Winter with enough stuff stock piled, winter equipment, and defenses/base built. Most of the time it seems I can get tons of gold (40+) or get next to none... I guess... that RNG.

Don't worry about health salves and such for the first winter. You should be avoiding virtually all combat in the early going, and what damage you take should be heal-able through food. Drying racks and/or crock pots should form the cornerstone of your winter preparations. If you're not intending to venture far from your camp (and until you're pretty comfortable with the game you should be staying close to home during winter) a heat stone and your trusty fire pit should be all you need, especially if you're playing Wilson with his insulating beard.

ixix

You can. They're referred to as Cobblestones in the invention menu.

ReaperXL7

Game is amazing imo, I suck at it so far but I seem to survive alittle longer each time I play. At any point do the shadow monsters become physical, or are they only there because my sanity is disappearing?

Other then seeing things is there any real drawback in going crazy?

Number45

Is it safe to play this game in front of kids (8/12 year old girls)? They both play Minecraft (which this apparently shares a lot in common with) so I thought they might like to see it.

ixix

Game is amazing imo, I suck at it so far but I seem to survive alittle longer each time I play. At any point do the shadow monsters become physical, or are they only there because my sanity is disappearing?

Other then seeing things is there any real drawback in going crazy?

When you go insane
all those placid, shadowy figments of your imagination get a lot less amiable and start trying to eat you alive. The best part is that they're all in your head, which means that if you've got any loyal minions along to help you out in combat they... won't. They'll stand there and watch you get consumed by your hallucinations.

There are actually a few benefits to going crazy as well, but those aren't nearly as fun.

Jintor

Is it safe to play this game in front of kids (8/12 year old girls)? They both play Minecraft (which this apparently shares a lot in common with) so I thought they might like to see it.

Could be a little scary as your sanity slips - think Tim Burton style shadows and nightmarey kind of stuff.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Only got to play for a little last night before going to bed, seems interesting and pretty uncompromising in helping you along but they do tell you that. Survived for a few days, ran away from pig men things, ran away from tall birds, ran away from spiders, eventually got wiped out by bees, lol.

Chuck

Still without luck
Really cool to see this game catch on. I discovered it at the end of last month and love it immensely. I'm really terrible at combat decisions though. That usually leads to my demise.

Had my first death after 11 days after being killed by a hound. I'd built a base around a wormhole, was building farms and feeling good about how it was going. Gutted that I died but I learnt a lot from those 11 days and I'll take that into my next playthrough. Really enjoying it so far

Chuck

Still without luck
Also I'm pretty sure that awesome intro movie is exclusive to the console version. And it is awesome.

Jintor

Fuckin killed by a frog. Do they do damage over time or something? I'd just figured out a reliable way to farm webs... :T

I kinda wish there was an endgoal though, like, survive a whole year, or collect x artifacts and blah blah blah. Survival is great and all but assuming I hit stability at some point it'll get a little tiresome...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
also protip,

find a bunny location and place traps directly on the holes with no bait.

collect 4 bunnies per day until you can farm beefalos

Also I'm pretty sure that awesome intro movie is exclusive to the console version. And it is awesome.

nay there is youtube movie links in the PC version. Is it wilson in his lab and it shows you how he gets there?

Combat is definitely the weak link for me, especially since I can never bear to give up my backpack :(

I just keep the log armor in my backpack and equip it just before going into combat. The backpack drops on the ground, I fight, I win, I pick up my backpack and my log armor goes back into my inventory.

Combat also takes some practice in this game. If you go in just whacking away and letting things hit you, you're going to have a bad time. Kiting is the name of the game: run in, hit it twice, run away just before it attacks, run back in after it attacks, etc. Fighting 6+ spiders at once gets really tricky, but with practice, you can do it with minimal damage. Just note that some things like the spider warriors can't be stun-locked like the regular spiders. Once you get the techniques down, combat gets a lot more interesting and your survivability goes way up, especially since you'll be able to efficiently farm things like silk.

Started this last night. Very weird, but very compulsive game.

Doesn't explain itself very well though. I don't know what I should be doing half the time. Keep coming across weird random items that don't seem to do anything (A ring of some sort, a gnome, a box thing... wtf?) as well.

I haven't experiemented yet, but what do the Wormholes do? I assume fast travel between each other, but never tried yet. Am I correct?

Doesn't explain itself very well though. I don't know what I should be doing half the time. Keep coming across weird random items that don't seem to do anything (A ring of some sort, a gnome, a box thing... wtf?) as well.

I haven't experiemented yet, but what do the Wormholes do? I assume fast travel between each other, but never tried yet. Am I correct?

Yes wormholes fast travel. They can be very useful

BibiMaghoo

They transport you to another worm hole on the map. Each time you use this is costs you sanity. Plan your trip through them, then wait a day or two before going again, so you have a chance to recover.

_hekk05

Banned
For those who want to farm webs, just walk onto the webbing floor near the nest and normal spiders will come out to investigate. Lure them further away from the nest, then kite and kill them. Repeat until the nests don't spawn spiders anymore.

This ensures that you don't meet the yellow jumping spiders. Also, if you do this everyday, the nest won't upgrade.

Killing a level 3 nest drops a spider's egg, which you can use to plant a spider nest at a location of your choosing. The spiders still hate you though. I recommend planting one near some tentacles to get tentacle spikes and farm webs by letting them fight. Silk never rots, so they stay. Just wait til the tentacle finally dies before going to grab the silk.

Also, tallbird eggs are never worth it. If you have ready access to gold and some reeds, make a bird cage. Feed the bird any meat, but preferably monster meat to get eggs. If the eggs are spoiling, cook them and feed them back to the bird. You get fresh eggs back.

ReaperXL7

So yeah, I made it to day 10 on my last run. Its fantastic how many little hidden things are in this though, while farming/exploring I came across
a mining hat which was pretty lucky, because I think found a cave that had been block by a boulder. I smashed the boulder with my pick, and then did some spelunking. Thats was a mistake though as even though I fought off the spiders at the entrance, and found a trove of light bulb plants I wad killed by a gigantic tentecle that spawned a dozen or small tentecles.

I keep inching my way forward with each playthrough though. Im looking forward to seeing what else is hiding.

EGOMON

I just survived 23 days in my 3rd run the
winter
fucked me up i didn't know there is
seasons
in the game i wasn't prepared but next time am gonna survive needless to say am so in love with this game

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
had my best run yet last night, 8 days.

got a solid campfire going in a place near rabbits and beefalo - made a lot of rabbit traps and farms with the manure and food finally became less of an issue.

then a bunch of mutant pigs murdered me in the night :(

Top Bottom