• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

Well, once you select each individual toolbar it blows it up pretty big so you can read it, once you understand what the icons represent then you don't need the big toolbar taking up more of your screen than necessary.

Though on the Vita it'd be impossible to read anything new about anything.

Yeah I've started to become familiar with the icons now so it's not as bad as the first time I played. Haven't tried it on my Vita yet. Aside from the tiny UI, I would imagine it's a perfect Vita title for its pick-up-and-go aspect.

PrinceKee

I played the game last night on Remote play on the Vita and had no problems. But, I just don't get why people like these type of crafting/micro managing games? Going to give the game another chance after I get off from work. Just didn't like getting dropped in the game world with no idea what to do and no instant gratification. I can see how some can get addicted to game and wanting to see how long they can survive. But, I was upset and quit playing after I thought I was making some progress my second game last night before dying on Day 3 by some one eyed monster that kept chasing me. What am I missing? Is there a guide or manual I should read before playing again tonight?

kurbaan

Banned
That explains it. Didn't get far enough to where those were available options. Think I've only gotten as far as day four - didn't spend all that much time with it.

Its not about number of days. You need to build the Crafting Machine or whatever its called.

What am I missing? Is there a guide or manual I should read before playing again tonight?

The wiki has some useful guides that'll help you get past that initial hurdle of getting settled and having a steady food supply so you can dedicate more time to advanced crafting and exploration. It'll also tell you about any item or feature in the game you would care to know about. Wiki. Getting Started Guide.

Its not about number of days. You need to build the Crafting Machine or whatever its called.
That crank thing for science? I did that.

Then I stared at it for a bit. Walked a circle around it. Then I tried and failed to interact with it. Then I walked away and got killed by something.

So all in all a fruitful learning experience.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Then I stared at it for a bit. Walked a circle around it. Then I tried and failed to interact with it. Then I walked away and got killed by something.

When you stand next to it, the amount of available crafting recipes increases massively. It makes a noise and you'll see a ton more options appear on the left hand crafting menu.

Standing next to the science machine (and other science and magic structures) unlocks new recipes to prototype. You build the new recipe once while standing next to it, and then you can build it again anywhere.

Lol, died on the first day! Built a trap but couldn't catch any animals with it, then died in the dark. Halp!!

Fun game though, I'll give it another bash.

When you stand next to it, the amount of available crafting recipes increases massively. It makes a noise and you'll see a ton more options appear on the left hand crafting menu.

Standing next to the science machine (and other science and magic structures) unlocks new recipes to prototype. You build the new recipe once while standing next to it, and then you can build it again anywhere.
Well that makes sense. Next time. For science.

This is a pretty hilarious game when you don't know what the hell is going on. Everything is surprising. Lots of things are funny. You have some very real aha moments. And then something that would otherwise maybe be cute and cuddly kills the fuck out of you.

Its a nice metaphor for life.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
I played the game last night on Remote play on the Vita and had no problems. But, I just don't get why people like these type of crafting/micro managing games? Going to give the game another chance after I get off from work. Just didn't like getting dropped in the game world with no idea what to do and no instant gratification. I can see how some can get addicted to game and wanting to see how long they can survive. But, I was upset and quit playing after I thought I was making some progress my second game last night before dying on Day 3 by some one eyed monster that kept chasing me. What am I missing? Is there a guide or manual I should read before playing again tonight?

Man I felt the exact same way. I died when it came to night-time because I didn't realize I could scroll down. I was too busy chopping down trees and looting. Even worse when I restarted there was some wormhole right next to the start that I jumped into and it was just endless trees.

They get shorter I think...

There are seasons in the game, summer and winter.

The days actually do get longer at first (same time from sunrise to sunrise, but sunrise to sunset gets longer) since you start in a sort of "spring" then pass into full summer, then the days get shorter and you enter fall, then things get cold and days get really short when you enter winter, and then you die. Repeatedly. Before you finally figure out how to survive through winter.

Cyborg

Played the game....must say I DONT GET IT.
I die a lot :( made it to day 3.....and then got attacked by ghosts. I Cant seem to pass this.....the night is very long

kurbaan

Banned
Played the game....must say I DONT GET IT.
I die a lot :( made it to day 3.....and then got attacked by ghosts. I Cant seem to pass this.....the night is very long

Just collect lots of logs and grass so you can make a camp fire at night. And just wait there. Feed it some logs or pines cones if its starts to die.

How do you get webs? I saw the big spider nest but didn't know what to do from there.

Lol, died on the first day! Built a trap but couldn't catch any animals with it, then died in the dark. Halp!!

Fun game though, I'll give it another bash.

I just put carrots under my trap and the bunnies would hop in it right away. I don't know if that's a waste though. I only made it to like day 6, mistakenly picked a fight with spiders, I'm not all pro like other people here. I recently found out you can just try and scare them in to the traps.

How do you get webs? I saw the big spider nest but didn't know what to do from there.

Spiders will drop them sometimes, once you clear out a nest, you can destroy it for several.

I just put carrots under my trap and the bunnies would hop in it right away. I don't know if that's a waste though. I only made it to like day 6, mistakenly picked a fight with spiders, I'm not all pro like other people here. I recently found out you can just try and scare them in to the traps.

Drop the traps right on top of the rabbit holes and they'll almost always get caught when they enter/leave. It won't technically let you put them right on top, but if you shift slightly, it'll let you.

Ferrio

Banned

Place a few traps outside the nest, piss them off. They run into the traps and die and you get web! Least that used to work, been awhile since I've played..

Just place the traps right over holes, no needing to scare them or bait them.

Concept17

If you just keep swinging at the spiders, you'll interrupt their attacks and kill them.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Also, I don't recommend using a sleeping roll until you have a lot of stored food.

I was at full stomach, used one when night fell, and woke up with only 1/8th of my hunger meter full.

Nerfon

If you downloaded don't starve but getting you cant start it, you need to restore licenses(under settings - psn - restore licenses) for fix the problem. It's an EU problem only i think.

Ugh, made it to my 27th day and then died.

It was the 2nd day of Winter and I died the first time due to bats. They surrounded where I put all my science and alchemy machines, so I kept trying to dodge the bats while trying to use my machines. Then I was revived and died of freezing. I went back to my gear and was picking them up. I was literally making the fire, and I died in the process. I needed another millisecond and I could have survived. On my last life I had a full grown beard so the winter didn't effect me, but I revived with a shaved face so I started getting effected by the cold.

I at least unlocked 2 characters, but I'm sad to see all that progress gone. I tried out the
Strong Man
next, but I couldn't stand him. I hated babysitting him when he was hungry, so I went back to Wilson.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Ugh, made it to my 27th day and then died.

It was the 2nd day of Winter and I died the first time due to bats. They surrounded where I put all my science and alchemy machines, so I kept trying to dodge the bats while trying to use my machines. Then I was revived and died of freezing. I went back to my gear and was picking them up. I was literally making the fire, and I died in the process. I needed another millisecond and I could have survived. On my last life I had a full grown beard so the winter didn't effect me, but I revived with a shaved face so I started getting effected by the cold.

I at least unlocked 2 characters, but I'm sad to see all that progress gone. I tried out the
Strong Man
next, but I couldn't stand him. I hated babysitting him when he was hungry, so I went back to Wilson.

Wolfgang
is one of the most advanced characters, really. I've always thought it was kind of weird how early you unlock him considering how rough it is to play as him in the early going. If they just swapped him and
Wendy
in the unlock order you'd actually have the three most new player-friendly characters unlocked first.

Dude's a total beast once your base is well-established, though. Strong contender for the title of best Survival Mode character in the game once you've got the skills under your belt to get him through the first 50 or so days.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
this looks like you planted berry bushes... can you do that?

With a Shovel you can dig up plants, including berry bushes, saplings, and grass, and replant them elsewhere. Useful for relocating important plants to your camp.

You need to occasionally fertilize the bushes once they're transplanted, but rotted food works as fertilizer and is easy to make by just dropping the occasional stack of berries on the ground then waiting for nature to do its work. Makes it so that your berry patch is self-sustaining as long you're proactive about ensuring a fertilizer supply even if you're not located near to a reliable source of manure.

Grinchy

Banned
this looks like you planted berry bushes... can you do that?

After you make a shovel, you can uproot plants and then re-plant them elsewhere. For them to be useful, though, you're going to need to fertilize them with poop. Not your own though. That's for dinner.
With a Shovel you can dig up plants, including berry bushes, saplings, and grass, and replant them elsewhere. Useful for relocating important plants to your camp.

You need to occasionally fertilize the bushes once they're transplanted, but rotted food works as fertilizer and is easy to make by just dropping the occasional stack of berries on the ground then waiting for nature to do its work. Makes it so that your berry patch is self-sustaining as long you're proactive about ensuring a fertilizer supply even if you're not located near to a reliable source of manure.
Wow I had no idea about using rotted food. That's awesome. I actually barely know anything about this game yet. I only played the PC version for a little bit. I got to like Day 28 or something once and didn't really play again.

Bumhead

Banned
Got to Day 10, my best so far.

I've set up camp in a good spot. I'm on a pathway intersection that leads in every direction, with buffalo to the south and plenty of rabbit holes, rocks, a worm hole and trees/plants around.

Currently have the first two machines built, along with 2 chests and 4 plots of farm land to plant seeds. Think I'm pretty OK for food right now.

I might start some further exploring. Is there anything much in particular I can do to my base camp to significantly improve my position right now? Is it even worth building walls and the like?

maltrain

Tip:
* Traps... put them above rabbit holes!!!

Questions... I've only reached Day 7.

* Can I make a base some time? I read winter is on Day 21 so I'd like to have a place.

* Can I unlocked a map or something like that?

* Can I drop some items somewhere and find them later on that spot?

maltrain

No, DON'T put carrots on the traps... cook the carrots and they feed you A LOT.

Skyzard

Banned
maltrain, you can drop items usually but best to make a chest. Some food items like seeds may get eaten by animals, but from what I watched gold and silk and stuff like that is okay, for a while at least?

PS4 doesn't have a map? - Actually I think you press touchpad, remember reading that.

-Traps on rabbit holes don't need bait.
-Don't need traps if you chase rabits from a good angle so that you'll intercept them as they come to the hole

-although this was from watching a few older videos of the PC version, maybe something has changed.

Questions... I've only reached Day 7.

* Can I make a base some time? I read winter is on Day 21 so I'd like to have a place.

* Can I unlocked a map or something like that?

* Can I drop some items somewhere and find them later on that spot?

Yes but u might must build it. Use walls & carpeting

Not sure if you're aware pressing the touch button brings up the map

Yup

maltrain

maltrain, you can drop items usually but best to make a chest. Some food items like seeds may get eaten by animals, but from what I watched gold and silk and stuff like that is okay, for a while at least?

PS4 doesn't have a map? - Actually I think you press touchpad, remember reading that.

-Traps on rabbit holes don't need bait.
-Don't need traps if you chase rabits from a good angle so that you'll intercept them as they come to the hole

-although this was from watching a few older videos of the PC version, maybe something has changed.

If you can make chests, I assume you can have a "house" or something similar... a tent. I haven't advance so far...

Oh, I didn't think about the touchpad! :O

Xenon

I made it to day eight. The game definitely has hooks. I just wish the creation process was not so simple. Being able to see what you can make takes some of the fun of discovery away.

Skyzard

Banned
If you can make chests, I assume you can have a "house" or something similar... a tent. I haven't advance so far...

Oh, I didn't think about the touchpad! :O

Yes I've seen a few more permanent bases before, but I don't know if you need to use the Science Machine (and feed it enough things) to unlock it first?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
This game was made for co-op. Somebody gathers materials. Someone hunts for food. Build a house.

Profit.

MNC

You can make walls, a floor and an opening, meaning you can construct some kind of base, keeping the more dangerous creatures at bay.

Tried the controller support on Steam and while I applaud their effort, it takes some getting used to... Mainly because with a full inventory, you could still hold items in your hand.

Grinchy

Banned
Is it crazy I am pretty giddy to get home and play this?

... fun as hell!

haha I was thinking about it all day

I'm on Day 17 in my little world now and I keep wasting my daylight on dumb things. I don't expect to get insanely far in this run, though. There was a guy on Twitch I used to watch play this game who was on like Day 400 or something.

shinn623

Wow... didn't think winter would be that crazy. I had gotten a really good spot for camp that had a savannah with tons of beefalos and straw along with lots and lots of rabbit holes. Also had a rock haven not far as well. I had ultimately built a a stone wall around my encampment as well. Was surviving really well with 8 farms churning out food everyday then winter hit. Dang did not know that the cold kill you, and my farms didn't have any output. Got to day 25, and died due to the cold while hunting for more food. Now I know to create a heating stone ahead of time. Question, so are farms completely useless in the winter or do they just develop much more slower? Also how long does winter last?

Top Bottom