• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
what are the ways to heal? i thought sleeping would do it but so far only thing i have found is green shroomies

Kssio_Aug

Played it just once! But I got killed at the 1st night by something I have no idea since everything was dark! LOL
But I enjoyed the gameplay, its much better than I thought! I'll learn how to play it.

calder

Today at work I keep thinking about the game. Planning a new run, debating just stopping my current guy because I hate where I set up shop and the strongman is annoying, eager to make a bigger farm and start working on a proper shelter much earlier, making mental notes to not antangonize the shockingly lethal
penguins
lol...

This game really wormed into my head.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Today at work I keep thinking about the game. Planning a new run, debating just stopping my current guy because I hate where I set up shop and the strongman is annoying, eager to make a bigger farm and start working on a proper shelter much earlier, making mental notes to not antangonize the shockingly lethal
penguins
lol...

tons of stuff i am reading i havent seen and i made it to day 15! I am totally surprised about this game, too bad there isnt a coop function though!

ThisOne

Lots of questions for me:

What do pigs do? Can they give me anything useful or should I just kill them for meat?

What about the objects that are always surrounded by evil flowers (box, crank, etc.)? What is this for?

I'm on about day 12 and trying to get ready for winter. What are the essential things I should have in my base when winter comes?

Lucent

I got to day 18 and stopped last night. Winter is coming and I don't think I can get enough food or anything to last me. I spent too much time doing stupid crap and building a new base. I don't see any options for making a door or anything, so I don't see the point of making walls with an open hole because monsters obviously do not give a crap about it.

Played it just once! But I got killed at the 1st night by something I have no idea since everything was dark! LOL
But I enjoyed the gameplay, its much better than I thought! I'll learn how to play it.

Basically, you should have some sort of fire built before the time cycle gets to purple (night). If it becomes pitch black, it doesn't matter if there were any monsters around you. You just seem to get attacked til you die. At least, that's always what happened to me.

So never catch yourself without the materials necessary to build a fire. If you made a firepit (the one surrounded by rocks) you can reuse those. Just throw pinecones/logs/grass/whatever in it to light it again. And you can find those firepits you made on the map.

Pastry

Banned

What do pigs do? Can they give me anything useful or should I just kill them for meat?

What about the objects that are always surrounded by evil flowers (box, crank, etc.)? What is this for?

I'm on about day 12 and trying to get ready for winter. What are the essential things I should have in my base when winter comes?

1) You can befriend pigs and they'll fight for you. I think you feed them meat to do that? But on full moons they turn into werepigs so stay away from them then.

2) Those are for the adventure mode.

3) Haven't made it to winter yet :(

andycapps

I had a Treeguard get pissed at me for cutting down some neighboring trees, then he followed me around trying to kill me for a while. I had actually built a firepit right next to him as that was to be my camp, and then I saw him come alive, but it was too late, then he chased me around my firepit all night, then I ran off the next day and got some rocks and other supplies, but he was waiting for me at the firepit. I wish that when he walked through my firepit that he'd burn up. Eventually I got close to some frogs and they attacked me along with the Treeguard and I died. Went back to my firepit and the Treeguard was patrolling but left me alone.

This game is nuts, but I think I like it a lot.

Pigs you can feed meat and they'll fight with you, cut down trees, etc. until the next evening. You can feed them veggies for manure as well.

Winter you should have a crock pot, and some warm headwear. The Bunny Earmuffs are really easy, but the Fur Hat isn't too hard either, just make a razor and shave the beefalo at night. Be careful not to shave yourself, though! Wilson's beard provides heat retention which is why he's a great character for newer players. Also, a Heat Stone is fantastic for helping you stay away from your fire longer. Just drop it next to the fire when you get back at night and pick it up again in the morning. Fur Hat, Heat Stone, and full-grown beard and I find you can stay out pretty much from dawn to sunset without issue.

Have lots of trees planted near your base as well, so you have plenty of wood for keeping your fire running almost constantly. Tons of bunny traps are almost essential since seeds won't grow at all for most of winter.

W Hudson

I had a Treeguard get pissed at me for cutting down some neighboring trees, then he followed me around trying to kill me for a while. I had actually built a firepit right next to him as that was to be my camp, and then I saw him come alive, but it was too late, then he chased me around my firepit all night, then I ran off the next day and got some rocks and other supplies, but he was waiting for me at the firepit. I wish that when he walked through my firepit that he'd burn up. Eventually I got close to some frogs and they attacked me along with the Treeguard and I died. Went back to my firepit and the Treeguard was patrolling but left me alone.

Yeah I had an encounter with a Treeguard where I ended up going for a scorched earth plan of action where I would burn everything in his path to try and kill him. Lit him on fire a ton but still that bastard wouldn't go down. Eventually I just kited him way far away from my camp and haven't seen him since

sakipon

I was looking forward to this game coming to PS+. Really disappointed in it though. Nothing more than a chore simulator to me. I think I am getting too old for games, I can't find the fun in something like Don't Starve anymore. I can see the mechanics right away, simple chores for tools, tools for second level chores, more complex tools and perhaps some simple strategy for higher tear resources... Everything I'll have to do in the game is laid bare, and it looks like a hell of a lot of work. I just don't understand why people willingly do it. Where is the payoff for all the crap you have to do?

I haven't played Don't Starve for long, but so far I have similar thoughts. The game seems boring with a lot of simple item gathering, rinse and repeat. Exploration feels meaningless, the menus reveal how many things of each category I'll be able to craft. The weird thing is I have enjoyed for example Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing, games that are full of simple chores. Maybe it's just that for me this game seems to lack charm, leaving just the mechanics.

Plant pinecones near a Treeguard to pacify him, though he'll instantly agro again if you cut down a tree in his view. Despite hitting like a tank, they are surprisingly easy to take down, though, if you have patience. Run in with a spear, hit twice, run away to dodge the attack, rinse and repeat about three dozen times and he'll fall. Just make sure you've got log armor on so you can take at least a couple hits for the inevitable times you mistime it and get hit.

the menus reveal how many things of each category I'll be able to craft.

Not at first, they don't. Being near a science machine, alchemy machine, magic-hat-itator-thing, or a shadow manipulator reveal more and more recipes, in some cases revealing entirely new categories.

Grinchy

Banned

That guy is scary as hell the first time he pops up. He's actually pretty easy to fight. If you want to do it safely, just dodge his attack and hit him three times, then move away for his next attack. If you wanna get ballsy, you can get 4 hits in and still dodge his next attack.

Lucent

I haven't played Don't Starve for long, but so far I have similar thoughts. The game seems boring with a lot of simple item gathering, rinse and repeat. Exploration feels meaningless, the menus reveal how many things of each category I'll be able to craft. The weird thing is I have enjoyed for example Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing, games that are full of simple chores. Maybe it's just that for me this game seems to lack charm, leaving just the mechanics.

Well, I understand what you mean. But I wouldn't say it lacks charm. I love the art style and the different instruments for each character's vocals is a nice touch.

I think the hook for this game is "how long can you survive?" That's pretty much it. Besides the hidden Adventure Mode that I haven't been able to find. lol

I've played Harvest Mood and Animal Crossing. I loved the SNES Harvest Moon. I don't think I've played a Harvest Moon since though where I stuck to it. Dunno why. And eventually I quit Animal Crossing. I'll eventually quit this after awhile (I have to play other games), but so far it's fun just trying to improve and try to survive as long as I can.

Lakitu

st5fu
Downloading this now, haven't got much to play on PS4, Hope this helps fill the gap, love concepts like this.

Teletraan1

Banned
This game is amazing. Every time I play it I learn something new and it helps me get further and further. I cant stop playing it. I let my irl hunger bar get too low earlier and my irl sanity meter is almost depleted when my DS4 ran out of juice.

THEF3AR

penguins
lol...

Man, I am the same way. I cannot stop thinking about this game and all the ways to improve my runs.

Is there a reason why bringing up the inventory pauses the game, but not bringing up the build menu?
Probably because you can strategize and reorder your inventory items while you can't alter the crafting menu at all. Plus crafting is something that can get you out of a bind rather easily depending on your situation, so it makes sense to have a running clock of sorts.

Kssio_Aug

I got to day 18 and stopped last night. Winter is coming and I don't think I can get enough food or anything to last me. I spent too much time doing stupid crap and building a new base. I don't see any options for making a door or anything, so I don't see the point of making walls with an open hole because monsters obviously do not give a crap about it.

Basically, you should have some sort of fire built before the time cycle gets to purple (night). If it becomes pitch black, it doesn't matter if there were any monsters around you. You just seem to get attacked til you die. At least, that's always what happened to me.

So never catch yourself without the materials necessary to build a fire. If you made a firepit (the one surrounded by rocks) you can reuse those. Just throw pinecones/logs/grass/whatever in it to light it again. And you can find those firepits you made on the map.

Thanks for the tip!! I will give attention to that next-time!! =)

The Batilisks are probably the most annoying enemy. There's always groups of 5 of them, and they always appear randomly. They're also infested within the caves. I got killed by them at least 3 times because they always appear near my machines.

Love this game even though I spend most of my time trying to find the *perfect* base camp.

I just put mine next to where the big pig is. I think the pigs near him respawn, so they mostly protect me from enemies. So I'm usually safe around there.

Replicant

Some questions:

How do I sleep?
What are those honeybees for and how do I get honey from them?
Is there a point of making pickaxe?
Is there a way of marking your base so you can get back there easily?
I got a lot of Spider webs what are they for?

Overall I enjoyed the game more than I thought I would, despite its Diablo-esque interface of having lots of things shown on the hud. I think those who are in the fence but has PS+ should give it a try at least once. It's only 332MB download after all.

EGOMON

Chester is the best thing in the game for those who didn't met him yet, basically a chest-pet that follow you everwhere like a mobile storage.
You aquire him when finding the Eyebone stick which is completely random.

Lucent

Some questions:

How do I sleep?
What are those honeybees for and how do I get honey from them?
Is there a point of making pickaxe?
Is there a way of marking your base so you can get back there easily?
I got a lot of Spider webs what are they for?

Overall I enjoyed the game more than I thought I would, despite its Diablo-esque interface of having lots of things shown on the hud. I think those who are in the fence but has PS+ should give it a try at least once. It's only 332MB download after all.

-Make a bedroll.
-I haven't messed with honeybees yet, but you're supposed to be able to make your own beebox and plant flowers around so bees come out and create honey in the box. I guess the honey is used in recipes.
-Yes. Pickaxes are needed to break rocks to get materials for creating more things. You also need gold to create the Science Machine, which gold usually needs to be found in rocks. I've found them laying around but it's easier just to break rocks.
-Build a fire pit. Only the fire pits surrounded by rocks are permanent (unless you break them) and show up on the map.
-Spider webs are also used in creation. like making bug nets.

Jintor

what are the ways to heal? i thought sleeping would do it but so far only thing i have found is green shroomies

Charcoal, ashes and... silk or honey? can't remember.

Probably because you can strategize and reorder your inventory items while you can't alter the crafting menu at all. Plus crafting is something that can get you out of a bind rather easily depending on your situation, so it makes sense to have a running clock of sorts.

There's two UI things I still wish they'd implement:

1) Keepable slots, like minecraft, so I always know where my fucking tools are. Less of an issue now that the game pauses when you're selecting your items (is this implemented on KB+M yet?) but still mildly irritating.
2) Some way to check requirements or to keep a reminder floating in my top right corner of what I need to make an item, or something. It's really easy to get distracted in this game by pressing micro-concerns.

Yeah, I felt the same way about The Sims. I remember watching this girlfriend at the time move her Sim and had it empty the garbage which started having flies around it. I turned my head and saw her own real garbage can in her apartment over flowing. "Uh . . . if that is fun then why not empty your real garbage can? Wouldn't that be even more fun? And hygenic?"

Jintor

Chester is the best thing in the game for those who didn't met him yet, basically a chest-pet that follow you everwhere like a mobile storage.

Really? Shit. I saw an eyebone stick around somewhere but I didn't bother picking it up cos my hands were full. Crap. I wish you could mark shit on your map.

Lucid07

Some questions:

How do I sleep? You can sleep when you have made a tent, or one of the two bed rolls. This will increase your health if it's low and sanity. But these can only be used a certain amount of times and will skip night. Apart from that you have to stay away by a fire.

What are those honeybees for and how do I get honey from them?Honeybees can be collected with a bug net and will help you craft a bee hive which will produce honey, but be careful to not collect it when the bees are near the hive you crafted. The honey can be gathered from either killing the honeybees or killer bees or destroying a natural bee hive.

Is there a point of making pickaxe?Pick axe is for destroying stones which looks like this.
Boulder_1_stages.png

Boulder_2_stages.png

Or other things when spelunking. These stone deposits will give you stone, flint, nitre and gold to craft more things.

Is there a way of marking your base so you can get back there easily? If you press the touch pad it will bring up the map and show where you fire is and other structures and plants.

I got a lot of Spider webs what are they for? Spider webs can be used for all sorts of things, check the wiki, Here

See quote.

You can build structures or find world events that respawn you, but give you a permanent health/sanity loss (until you respawn) to compensate. I think.
Ah cool! Folks were making it seem like the whole game is permadeath, and that was turning me off.

Charcoal, ashes and... silk or honey? can't remember.

There's two UI things I still wish they'd implement:

1) Keepable slots, like minecraft, so I always know where my fucking tools are. Less of an issue now that the game pauses when you're selecting your items (is this implemented on KB+M yet?) but still mildly irritating.
2) Some way to check requirements or to keep a reminder floating in my top right corner of what I need to make an item, or something. It's really easy to get distracted in this game by pressing micro-concerns.

I agree with your suggestions. The first thing I do as I start gathering different supplies, tools, and food is to re-arrange everything in a logical manner.

I do:
Logs/Rocks/Grass/Twigs/Flint/Pinecones (the more useful supplies) first.
Then I do three or four food items.
Then I place my tools.

Once you find a backpack and do a playthrough with it, though, it becomes so much harder to go back to your standard inventory storage space :/

Jintor

I play conservatively until I can start pumping out healing salves and poultices. (Charcoal and ashes are pretty trivial if you pinecone correctly. Setting entire forests alight is hilarious).

I love the way everything interacts. I hear there's a way to relocate spider dens, but I'm not sure if that's true or not. With a honey farm though and rabbit traps monster meat is actually super valuable. Looking for gears to build a fridge though cos Winter is setting in :T

I was playing this morning and thought he was trying to kill me when he showed up. I don't trust chests after Dark Souls.

todahawk

I play conservatively until I can start pumping out healing salves and poultices. (Charcoal and ashes are pretty trivial if you pinecone correctly. Setting entire forests alight is hilarious).

I love the way everything interacts. I hear there's a way to relocate spider dens, but I'm not sure if that's true or not. With a honey farm though and rabbit traps monster meat is actually super valuable. Looking for gears to build a fridge though cos Winter is setting in :T

yep, make sure the spider nest has a second bump, clear it out and then attack it to destroy it and you'll get spider eggs which you can plant (and then farm) where you want.

V AA D E R

Neo Member
It'd be awesome if this game secretly is beatable in Survival mode, but it takes an outrageously long amount of time to achieve that or something like that. Like years down the line we'll have a person still playing the game who all of the sudden gets a "you win" cutscene or some shit.

Lucent

My first main base in my longest play through so far.
1478926_10203022232339687_1946342826_n.jpg

I decided to relocate though (but I didn't destroy my other base because why not have other places to camp?). I may die, but I'm hoping I can conquer my first winter. lol
1522007_10203022233899726_1709344482_n.jpg

I tried to attack a Treeguard with a torch.... It didn't go so well :(

Jintor

I don't bother with walls.

I kinda wish you could build a lean-to or a shanty or a roof structure to make rain more important. Kinda weird to have all my shit just sitting out in the rain. Some kind of cabin structure? I dunno.

I want to civilise this damn world but the game won't let me!

Is there any way to see your exact health, hunger and sanity values on the PS4 version?

Should be visible while you're scrolling through your inventory.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
First night in... Get killed immediately. Dammit. Is there a good guide for surviving?

Replicant

God damn it! I was wondering how I can build a more permanent fireplace and it turns out I need to use rocks. Obviously I can't use rocks since I didn't bother making a pickaxe. I did get some rocks scattering around during my last playthrough though. How much do you need to make a fireplace?

Top Bottom