• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

Just played for an hour and I'm liking it so far. It's going to be a long journey of figuring everything out though but that's the point.

I like the art style as well. It looks really crisp and everything looks well drawn.

Number45

Anyone else who is PS+ and the game is not free for him / her?
I had this when I checked earlier (free on the product page, but £11.99 showed up in th basket), but after removing it and fully refreshing the site it went into my basket without a cost attached. So maybe try again?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I've had to get up and walk to my TV to make out what these crafting icons are supposed to be. I can't remember doing that since Dead Rising on an sdtv...do I really just have to have a wiki open while I play? Or do I need glasses?

yeah i'm slowly figuring it out. played the pc version a while back.

i think i waste too much hay making walls, but psychologically i feel like i need to build a house like structure... hrmmm

I never use hay on walls. If I make walls, it's stone only since hay and wood will burn from lightning/red hounds. I actually just recently died in a game after lasting over 60 days without building a single wall.

Interfectum

I've had to get up and walk to my TV to make out what these crafting icons are supposed to be. I can't remember doing that since Dead Rising on an sdtv...do I really just have to have a wiki open while I play? Or do I need glasses?

The icons are really small in this game. They could have done a little more UI adjusting for TV.

Xater

I think you need glasses. I don#t have this issue at all.

It's pretty obvious the on-screen elements were designed with the PC in mind given its pedigree. I sit pretty far away from my 46" 1080p TV, and it's almost impossible to make anything out. It's even worse than Killzone.

SJRB

Gold Member
O god the musical jibberish everytime the character speaks, attacks or inspects something is really off-putting. Not sure if I can deal with that, I hate it.

I also agree that the hud is too small, it's impossible to make out what any of the icons are.

I haven't tried RP but this seems perfect for it.

It is, it plays wonderfully with RP. They even remap the controls so that L and R are crafting and inventory and tapping the back touchscreen rotates your view.

Isn't a bit cheater the first unlocked character?
Don't need lighting bonfires.

There are...disadvantages. Like, accidentally starting forest fires and burning to death. Or even more depressing, accidentally burning down all your collected grass, saplings, and trees you've got growing at your base. But yes, the ability can save your skin, especially early in the game.

I love that doing remote play, the control settings screen shows a vita instead of a DS4. I just wish the text was a bit bigger when playing on vita.

Ilúvatar

I never use hay on walls. If I make walls, it's stone only since hay and wood will burn from lightning/red hounds. I actually just recently died in a game after lasting over 60 days without building a single wall.

I'm not proud of how many times I've killed myself by accidentally igniting my "defenses"

Krakn3Dfx

I love that doing remote play, the control settings screen shows a vita instead of a DS4. I just wish the text was a bit bigger when playing on vita.

This is my biggest problem with the game in general, the item/crafting icons are too small even on a TV, and when you're running it through Remote Play, they're downright tiny.

Otherwise, I am loving the PS4 version every bit as much as I do the PC version.

Zoe

After reading some of the posts in here, apparently I really have no idea how to play this. I'll have to try again tonight.

I only played via RP, and the stuff in the left menu was pretty hard to see. Dunno if playing on the TV will be any better :\

I found a circle of evil flowers on a small island. In the middle was a yellow ring thing I could pick up. Also some big, fat semi invisible creature kept going up to it then moving away.

Anyone know what that was?

Dinosur

It is, it plays wonderfully with RP. They even remap the controls so that L and R are crafting and inventory and tapping the back touchscreen rotates your view.

Didn't even think about that. Definitely will be the way I continue playing the console version. I'm so damn paranoid about the ridiculous HUD after just coming off a 3+ week AC4 image retention on my new VT60.

I found a circle of evil flowers on a small island. In the middle was a yellow ring thing I could pick up. Also some big, fat semi invisible creature kept going up to it then moving away.

Anyone know what that was?

The circle of flowers around the ring thing is part of a sort of "end game". Spoilers here, but I don't find them to be anything special, so don't worry too much about spoiling stuff unless you really really care about discovering everything on your own.
There's a heavily defended wooden circle somewhere in the world, and if you combine all the "things" (ring thing, crank thing, etc) there, you get transported to a new world, but you get to keep some of your stuff.

The semi-invisible creature is a hallucination from having low sanity. If your sanity gets low enough, they can attack you and can drop useful items for crafting some of the most powerful items in the game.

This game is a lot of fun. I have a feeling I will be playing this one for a very long time.

Map looks rather large too. I am reading nothing about to title, as to not spoil anything so I am loving the mystery of just learning how to survive and advance.

Remote played on Vita and that is also very well done. The back touchpad is only used for swinging the camera around, the other main functions are all face button mapped / shoulder button and touching the screen opens the map. Freakin great.

I'm so bad at this game. I didn't get to play much but I had no idea how to get started really. I was finally able to find a gold piece and make a science machine but I didn't really know where to go from there. I pretty much just survived trying to eat bunnies. All this setting up camps with beefalos and farming talk is nothing close to what I was doing. I didn't even see a beefalo. I saw some spiders but left them alone and some pigs but didn't know what to do with them.

I'm so bad at this game. I didn't get to play much but I had no idea how to get started really. I was finally able to find a gold piece and make a science machine but I didn't really know where to go from there. I pretty much just survived trying to eat bunnies. All this setting up camps with beefalos and farming talk is nothing close to what I was doing. I didn't even see a beefalo. I saw some spiders but left them alone and some pigs but didn't know what to do with them.

This appears to be a pretty good guide for getting started, and really, the whole wiki is excellent for learning how to handle and survive various enemies and what each of the items are good for. If you have any more specific questions, though, feel free to ask!

Omlagus

Played a bunch of this last night and thought it was great. I absolutely LOVE the art style in this. Starting to get the hang of it a bit more, even though I died very quick my first couple of plays.

Works very well on remote play in bed. Will try from work today too.

I lasted zero days on my first go. I kind of subconsciously knew I should be collecting stuff to survive the night. Next thing I knew it was night and it was pitch black and I was dying.
I can see myself spending a lot of time playing this.

_hekk05

Banned
How do you sleep?

Make a tent or a sleeping roll. Sleep decreases hunger but increases sanity. It's useful as it allows you to skip night-time.

If boars are coming and its already late, you can run to your tent and sleep til the next day. The boars will only arrive after you wake up.

This game seems fun. I haven't put that much time into only played once and survived for 4 days then the bees got me. Looking forward to playing more!

Eat before you sleep. Sleeping restores your sanity.
You can sleep?

I never saw that as an option, so just kinda stood around near the fire at night like a chump. Did cook a few tender morsels tho.

Part of me wants to know nothing about the game so its full-on discovery (as I walked into this game completely blind), but thats tempered by the fact that I also kindof want to know how to sleep.

You can sleep?

I never saw that as an option, so just kinda stood around near the fire at night like a chump. Did cook a few tender morsels tho.

Part of me wants to know nothing about the game so its full-on discovery (as I walked into this game completely blind), but thats tempered by the fact that I also kindof want to know how to sleep.

And how do you sleep?

Make a tent or a sleeping roll. Sleep decreases hunger but increases sanity. It's useful as it allows you to skip night-time.

If boars are coming and its already late, you can run to your tent and sleep til the next day. The boars will only arrive after you wake up.

Tents, straw rolls, and fur rolls are in the Survival tab of the crafting interface.

Mrbob

This is my biggest problem with the game in general, the item/crafting icons are too small even on a TV, and when you're running it through Remote Play, they're downright tiny.

Otherwise, I am loving the PS4 version every bit as much as I do the PC version.

Yeah the UI is terrible and crazy small. UI was not adjusted for people sitting away at a distance from their TV. The devs must think everyone is playing this game on a PC monitor a foot away.

It's pretty obvious the on-screen elements were designed with the PC in mind given its pedigree. I sit pretty far away from my 46" 1080p TV, and it's almost impossible to make anything out. It's even worse than Killzone.

Yeah I sit about 15 feet away from my 42" 1080p tv. Couldn't see any of the icons. I'd like to think my eyesight is pretty decent. I had to move to the edge of my bed and play.

marrec

Banned
Yeah the UI is terrible and crazy small. UI was not adjusted for people sitting away at a distance from their TV. The devs must think everyone is playing this game on a PC monitor a foot away.

Yeah I sit about 15 feet away from my 42" 1080p tv. Couldn't see any of the icons. I'd like to think my eyesight is pretty decent. I had to move to the edge of my bed and play.

Well, once you select each individual toolbar it blows it up pretty big so you can read it, once you understand what the icons represent then you don't need the big toolbar taking up more of your screen than necessary.

Though on the Vita it'd be impossible to read anything new about anything.

I'm on my 20th day right now.

I already screwed up making my farm. I just built it anywhere, instead of using my pitchfork to crop land then planting the farm. So now I have to go back to the buffalo (or whatever those things are) to get more manure, to build a refined farm instead. This time, actually using a pitchfork on the land first before planting.

Also, I'm planing on going back in the underground. I went twice already but failed both times. I always end up taking too much damage and having to leave. So I'm planning on using my log suit to go adventuring down there, instead of wearing my backpack. I'm trying to find bulbs to build a lantern, but haven't spotted one yet.

Other then those 2 problems, I'm having fun so far. My stats haven't went down too far since I learned the game.

Top Bottom