• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

Jintor

God damn it! I was wondering how I can build a more permanent fireplace and it turns out I need to use rocks. Obviously I can't use rocks since I didn't bother making a pickaxe. I did get some rocks scattering around during my last playthrough though. How much do you need to make a fireplace?

Requirements are in your build menu, from memory it's twelve. Pickaxe the shit out of some rocks.

Each death is a learning experience :p

Lucent

God damn it! I was wondering how I can build a more permanent fireplace and it turns out I need to use rocks. Obviously I can't use rocks since I didn't bother making a pickaxe. I did get some rocks scattering around during my last playthrough though. How much do you need to make a fireplace?

Yeah 12 rocks. Pickaxes break a lot faster than Axes. So I tend to just carry one Axe and then a couple of Pickaxes.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
It'd be awesome if this game secretly is beatable in Survival mode, but it takes an outrageously long amount of time to achieve that or something like that. Like years down the line we'll have a person still playing the game who all of the sudden gets a "you win" cutscene or some shit.

Well, there's always the Twinkie Challenge, where you try to play the game long enough to get a Twinkie Powdercake to rot.

That takes 18,750 days.

That's just to adventure mode, after that is completed it brings you back to the normal survival.

You can build it in survival mode, but it just takes you to a new survival mode world. It's mainly a way to get your experience credit for surviving without needing to commit suicide, or to demand a mulligan if the world generator decided to screw you over.

It is permadeath. If that really turns you off, then you won't like it.

It's permadeath, yeah, but there's ways to get extra lives. You can maintain a bulwark against death indefinitely if you've got the know-how.

Lucid07

You can build it in survival mode, but it just takes you to a new survival mode world. It's mainly a way to get your experience credit for surviving without needing to commit suicide, or to demand a Mulligan if the world generator decided to screw you over.

I thought you once you had completed all the challenges you went back to your normal world.

I really like this game, especially the no hand holding thing.

I managed to get to 8 days as my recent playthrough, looking for silk was my downfall.

I built a spear and took out a nest of spiders consisting of three, feeling like a big man, decided to attack the one beside it, got mobbed by 7 of them! Ha.

Lucid07

I really like this game, especially the no hand holding thing.

I managed to get to 8 days as my recent playthrough, looking for silk was my downfall.

I built a spear and took out a nest of spiders consisting of three, feeling like a big man, decided to attack the one beside it, got mobbed by 7 of them! Ha.

Try building the log amour, it's pretty good!

Chabbles

This is one of these games where i can see myself playing for ridiculously long sessions.

After 2 quick deaths, i stayed alive to day 19. I found this little creature around day 10. with a stick object beside it, when i put the stick in my inventory, the creature followed me around, and it could store like 12 items in it.

I found so much stuff, with no idea what to do with any of it. I found a "doorway" too, into some other world. some adventure land or something. It said if i entered i couldnt return until making my way through, i think 4 worlds. I didnt have much supplies so left it alone, but died soon after anyway.

A tip, if you start to go insane and start tripping balls, pick flowers, lots of flowers.

ixix

I thought you once you had completed all the challenges you went back to your normal world.

You do. But you can build the portal in survival mode as well, and it'll generate a new survival mode world, and give you experience for every day you survived along with any new characters you've earned.

Yasir

Day 17 things are getting hard. Being attacked by monster dogs frequently, the world regenerator did me over with the number of spiders. Gonna start accumulating material for the alchemy engine I think.

Replicant

Oh also, what's the difference if I cook the food or if I eat them raw? I mean obviously I'd want to grill that wabbit. But what about berries and carrots? Should I cook them first? Would it make a difference in nutrition?

Lucid07

Oh also, what's the difference if I cook the food or if I eat them raw? I mean obviously I'd want to grill that wabbit. But what about berries and carrots? Should I cook them first? Would it make a difference in nutrition?

So the berries when raw:
Restore Health: 0
Hunger: 9.375
Sanity: 0
Perish (Rot): 6 Days

Berries Cooked:
Restore Health: 1
Hunger: 12.5
Perish (Rot): 3 Days

Raw Carrots
Restore Health:1
Hunger:12.5
Sanity:0
Perish (Rot): 10

Cooked Carrots
Restore Health: 3

So with the Carrots cook them if health is needed, if your out away from camp and just need hunger, just eat them there and then. With the berries, cook them.

Grinchy

Banned
This game is like crack for me right now. I'm almost at Day 30, basically just doing whatever it takes to survive the winter. Beefalo meat seems to be my go-to food since there's a bunch of them right next to my camp.

One annoying thing happened though. I had a backpack laying near my camp that I wasn't currently using. I was wearing a life giving amulet that I had found in case I got killed by something. I accidentally picked up the backpack, and when I tried to drop it to go back to wearing the amulet, the amulet was gone. It just completely disappeared from the map. That kinda blows because I was relying on it in case I made a dumb mistake in the winter.

Replicant

So the berries when raw:
Restore Health: 0
Hunger: 9.375

Berries Cooked:
Restore Health: 1
Perish (Rot): 3 Days

Raw Carrots
Restore Health:1
Hunger:12.5
Sanity:0
Perish (Rot): 10

Cooked Carrots
Restore Health: 3

So with the Carrots cook them if health is needed, if your out away from camp and just need hunger, just eat them there and then. With the berries, cook them.

Holy shit. I didn't know how complex the food system can be.

I guess I'll be cooking my foods from now on for the best possible result. Unless, of course, I'm going on a long trek away for days.

Jintor

You do. But you can build the portal in survival mode as well, and it'll generate a new survival mode world, and give you experience for every day you survived along with any new characters you've earned.

Problem is that experience isn't worth anything :(

Yeah, crock pot is where it's at. Cooked morsels are crap, but if you toss them all in a crockpot, you'll at the least get meatballs, maybe even a ham.

Alex

Im enjoying this game a ton more than i did on PC... Idk i think it has to do with the controller.

PC version has pad support, too.

I'm like that, though, if it doesn't really, really NEED mouse and keyboard then I'll opt for a controller every time.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Can someone tell me the premise of this game?

I have no idea what is going on lol and how do I build a camp fire? I keep dying once it reached night time.

Replicant

From what I can gathered from the opening, a guy made some kind of a machine after getting whispers from a radio but as his gut instinct told him, the voice is evil and the machine ended up dragging (teleporting) him into the world where he ends up in the game.

Do you end up fighting that creepy guy shown in the opening eventually?

TEH-CJ

Banned
From what I can gathered from the opening, a guy made some kind of a machine after getting whispers from a radio but as his gut instinct told him, the voice is evil and the machine ended up dragging (teleporting) him into the world where he ends up in the game.

Do you end up fighting that creepy guy shown in the opening eventually?

Thanks for the reply man. Sounds interesting I guess :)

I haven't been that far into the game, Just collected a bunch of weeds and got killed by a walking pig lol.

Grinchy

Banned

I have no idea what is going on lol and how do I build a camp fire? I keep dying once it reached night time.

Press L2 and look at the crafting choices. It tells you what you need to make things. The campfire is a pretty cheap thing to make.

As you can see, day 13/14 has been the best days EVER.

I have some new neighbors at my base. Mr. and Mrs. Green.
eSOAa2Z.jpg
At my second place of experimentation, I got some more neighbors. Eye can't stand them though :/
Lastly, I met some friendly creatures that wanted to say hello.

Best day ever (sarcasm).

Anyone know of an easy way or tactic to beat Adventure mode? It's super hard and I can never find the second item once I've found the first.

Milennia

PC version has pad support, too.

I'm like that, though, if it doesn't really, really NEED mouse and keyboard then I'll opt for a controller every time.

Never even bothered ;/ should have, but just got sick of the game after a bit.

ixix

Problem is that experience isn't worth anything :(

Yeah, crock pot is where it's at. Cooked morsels are crap, but if you toss them all in a crockpot, you'll at the least get meatballs, maybe even a ham.

It's worth something until you've unlocked all the characters, at least.

I ended up using the teleporter in survival mode once, after I survived 120 days as Wilson and still hadn't unlocked everyone. I used it to cash out gracefully instead of repeatedly suiciding the poor guy for those delicious new characters.

Dying would've had the same effect since I never bothered to play the new world, but I've got my pride.

what are the ways to heal? i thought sleeping would do it but so far only thing i have found is green shroomies

A number of ways really. Eating vegetables is perhaps the " easiest " way but it is by far the most consuming method.

If you build a Alchemy machine and put together Ash ( put something to the flame ), Rock ( ... yeah rocks ) and Spider Glands ( kill spiders ) you can create a Healing Salve. Much more efficient healing and not really hard to gather the materials. Spiders are perhaps the easiest things to kill since they can be found wondering around alone alot.

Eating meat is also great for healing, but you want it more for hunger then anything. Those spider glands are also good for healing on their own, but if you already have some may as well make them into a salve and get even more healing.

I am on day 15 and had a massive stockpile of food going, and did not realize the Green background of the food is actually a " fresh " meter of sorts. You will see the green background of any foods including veggies slowly fade away to Red and such, telling you that the food is dying / spoiling. Will have to keep that in mind.

Currently working on my home base. Have a massive farm being built. Hoping to build up a big enough farm with enough seeds to keep my character fed on its own so I can worry about other things more.

Oh and lemme say, I freakin love eating Mushrooms lol. Great stuff.

Made it to day 39 before a bunch of monster hogs came out and ate me. Unlocked three characters that time! :D

By the way what does the Pan Flute do? I randomly find one but didn't know is it did anything special.

ixix

Anyone know of an easy way or tactic to beat Adventure mode? It's super hard and I can never find the second item once I've found the first.

Well, Adventure Mode basically exists to test your survival abilities in various ways, so the basic tactic is "be good at all the various game systems". There's a few ways to make things easier on yourself, though. I'll just go ahead and stick 'em in a spoiler tag for the sake of anybody who wants to go in blind:

1. Wendy's the best Adventure mode character on the whole, I think, because she can make a long-term sustainable camp in some downright godawful conditions, and Adventure Mode is all about putting you in terrible situations. She's also an absolute beast in the final stage, because every perk she has is constantly operating at full power in it. WX-78 is also a contender for being the best if you're willing to intentionally kill yourself until you get "The Game is Afoot" as your starter scenario, otherwise his poor starting stats and vulnerability to precipitation will really make him struggle. Willow's got Sanity issues but her lighter is a really good fallback for the final scenario. Wolfgang's awful, because he relies heavily on having a well-established food production pipeline which you'll never have the opportunity to set up. Wilson and Wickerbottom are okay, and I've never used Woodie in Adventure Mode but it seems like he'd be a solid choice in theory, since he could blitz difficult areas in werebeaver form. The other two characters are the entire reason you're playing Adventure Mode in the first place, so I assume you don't have them.

2. Pick one scenario to build yourself up in, but otherwise try to complete scenarios within 30 days or so. You retain all of your invention knowledge from one scenario to the next and get to choose 4 items to bring with you each time you complete a chapter. A Cold Reception and The Game is Afoot are probably the two best suited to build up in, but Archipelago will work in a pinch. Don't try to build up in The King of Winter. It won't end well. Just get the hell out of there as quickly as you can.

3. Invent as much as you can in your build-up scenario, and try to hunt the MacTusks to get a Tam o'Shanter and Walking Cane. Build a Lantern. Take the Tam o' Shanter, Walking Cane, and Lantern with you from world to world. You'll understand what the Lantern is for when you reach the end.

4. The final stage is perpetually night time. That means constant Sanity drain and instant death if you're caught without a light source at any time. This is where Wendy and WX-78 shine. Wendy loses 25% less Sanity to darkness and Abigail is at full power at night. WX-78 has across-the-board excellent stats at this point and should have a stockpile of Gears carried over through the scenarios to eat to maintain his Health, Sanity, and Hunger.

Good luck.

ThisOne

Having a good time with it so far. Sort of reminds me of a much slower paced Binding of Isaac in that there are a ton of items and little to no explanation of what they do or how they will benefit you, although I guess most roguelike games are similar in that way.

What are the best crock pot recipes?

Sounds really tough. I've just been using the same strategy of picking berries, butterflies, and carrots to sustain myself and build up all my resources in the mean time. Looks like I'll have to be willing to craft more than just a backpack.

Jintor

Having a good time with it so far. Sort of reminds me of a much slower paced Binding of Isaac in that there are a ton of items and little to no explanation of what they do or how they will benefit you, although I guess most roguelike games are similar in that way.

What are the best crock pot recipes?

honey + 2meat [morsels are worth .5, meat is worth 1] equiv = glazed ham. Delicious.

ixix

Sounds really tough. I've just been using the same strategy of picking berries, butterflies, and carrots to sustain myself and build up all my resources in the mean time. Looks like I'll have to be willing to craft more than just a backpack.

I kinda think backpacks are a crutch. Getting comfortable with inventory management to the point where you're perfectly fine with giving up the backpack and wearing armor 24/7 is a good skill to have for Adventure Mode. That's a big part of the reason
I recommended a Lantern over a Miner's Hat; the Lantern goes in your hands, so you can wear a Sanity-restoring hat along with a Log Suit in the final stage. To have passive Sanity regen along with a Miner's Hat you need to wear a Dapper Vest or similar, which means no armor, which means higher chance of biting it and having to start over.

Replicant

What does backpack do and how do you craft them? I can't remember seeing an option to craft it.

I also didn't know you can eat the Butterflies. :/

BibiMaghoo

Reached day 21 as the girl with the lighter, my best run yet.

I was then killed by a swarm of
Fucking penguins
after trying to stock up my winter food supply. It was a mistake. My bad.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
so the OP didn't really help... what the hell am i supposed to do in this game other than not starve? what do all the icons mean? I guessing this is kinda like a Roguelike just not turn based?

maltrain

Made it to day 39 before a bunch of monster hogs came out and ate me. Unlocked three characters that time! :D

By the way what does the Pan Flute do?
I randomly find one but didn't know is it did anything special.

I think put to sleep everyone around... I read it on the wiki...

I'm up to day 39 and still going. I had a nice camp with farms and drying racks surrounded by beefalo. Was pretty sure I could have stayed in the game indefinitely. Then right as winter ends a deerclops comes out of nowhere and smashes my entire camp :( Back to square one...

Pimpwerx

WTF? I got winter on day 10. Died from exposure...twice. I feel like touchstones are worthless once winter is on, because you can't make clothes fast enough, and if you can't make an axe fast enough, you can't make a fire. Only time I've had it come this early. Anyone else experience this? I was like, "Come the fuck on, this is bullshit." I was on a real roll too. Found the Maxwell Gate and decided the last few times to try tracing the edges of the map. I just walk around all the shorelines. The map is HUUUUUUUUUUGE! I think it would take 25-30 game days to just complete one circuit of it. I assume they're all randomly-generated too. PEACE.

Grinchy

Banned
Crap, I was on Day 27 when some of those horrible hounds came after me right when night was coming. So I tried to run away to an area with some spiders to see if they'd help me fight the hogs. I was dumb though and I didn't make a torch. So I got to the spiders right when it became pitch black outside. I couldn't stop to make a torch since the hounds were right on me and I died in the darkness :(

I tried Willow out and so far she feels like an easier way to play. It's nice to just run around as her at night, lighting shrubs and stuff on fire to get a good idea of what's around. I didn't even really need to build a base camp until like the 4th day and I had already cleared up a major chunk of the map.

Totally loving this game, and totally did not expect to even like it!! Still trying to figure out wth everything does/means... Got killed by a ghost? thing outside the graveyard. Really surprised by this game.

Dragnet

Agh! Just had my best ever run, made it to Day 41 before being ambushed by a pissy beefalo while I was chasing his mate. So awesome though, Winter was such a cool challenge! Really felt like every night could have been my last. Fucking love this game, need a little break now though, that last session was actual hard work sometimes!

Jintor

WTF? I got winter on day 10. Died from exposure...twice. I feel like touchstones are worthless once winter is on, because you can't make clothes fast enough, and if you can't make an axe fast enough, you can't make a fire. Only time I've had it come this early. Anyone else experience this? I was like, "Come the fuck on, this is bullshit." I was on a real roll too. Found the Maxwell Gate and decided the last few times to try tracing the edges of the map. I just walk around all the shorelines. The map is HUUUUUUUUUUGE! I think it would take 25-30 game days to just complete one circuit of it. I assume they're all randomly-generated too. PEACE.

Heat stone, buddy.

Bookoo

Anyone else get frame rate issues with remote play? Every time there were a lot of mobs on the screen the FPS would dip until the connection closed.

I have used remote play before in other games without issue.

Top Bottom