• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

Pimpwerx

Agh! Just had my best ever run, made it to Day 41 before being ambushed by a pissy beefalo while I was chasing his mate. So awesome though, Winter was such a cool challenge! Really felt like every night could have been my last. Fucking love this game, need a little break now though, that last session was actual hard work sometimes!

Jesus, how long did that take you? That's over 5 hours, isn't it? I read that each day is 8 minutes. I now know why my 20+ day runs felt so long for me playing. It's a long session of gaming. PEACE.

calder

Wow soooo disappointing. I died on day 8, really promising map I spent a week doing nothing but exploring. I had a temp camp set up by the pig king, but I found a cave that had a near COMPLETE permanent base just sitting there. Tent, refrigerator, chest, bunch of tools, science lab, it was great... except for the dozens of spiders that ringed it.

Naturally I really wanted to loot the clothes left by the skeleton so I pushed my luck and got swarmed. :(

ramuh

I've only made it day five. Still scourging for things to build stuff with. The robot thing helps. Can a get a permanent house eventually so I don't need to waste resources on campfires. Still fighting those damn bees.

Evo X

I'm currently at Day 19 on my first play through as the pyromaniac girl. Something that's really helped me are two Rock Lobsters I found roaming around in the caves. I gave them a bunch of gold and rocks to eat and had them follow me to the surface. They pretty much act as godly bodyguards. They fucked up a pack of hounds and spiders like they were nothing. As long as I keep feeding them, they stick by my side and kill anything that is hostile towards me. Lucky for me, my base is right next to a massive field of boulders. I'm also setup next to the water, so i can only get attacked from one side.

Can anybody put together a quick strategy. I saw that wiki but it's not an easy guide. It over complicated things imo. Maybe it didn't help that I was at work when reading it and just perused it instead of really dissecting it

So far what I do is start out collecting stuff to get an axe then move on to whatever it takes to make a fire. Then i look for carrots and berries and maybe make a trap to catch bunnies. When night his I just cook up what I have a wait till day. Then repeat as I wonder around looking for rocks and somewhere that has gold so I can make a science machine. I try and find things on the way until I can find some pigs or spiders (I finally found beefalo first the first time after like 10 tries). Then I'll set up an actual for pit and make my since science machine. My last play through I was able to feed the pigs monster meat and get them on my side, make a bunch of traps for bunnies and birds by my home base and I set up a farm with fertilizer and seeds. Then I died getting too aggressive with spiders. I know should just run away but I thought I could take them (lesson learned).

Any corrections to my initial strategy or advice on how to take the next step to get these establishments that y'all have?

ramuh

The question I have is once you have a camp and a general idea of your area, you can farm for logs twigs, rabbits etc. They go away after you "farmed" them. Is it in my interest to keep exploring further out among the wilderness? I plan on doing that after I made a grass suit and some other things. Also I need a permanent resident. lol.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
honey + 2meat [morsels are worth .5, meat is worth 1] equiv = glazed ham. Delicious.

from memory you need

2 big meat
1 honey
some filler (I believe either straw or twigs can fill, something almost worthless anyway)

there is also the dragon fruit that can make dragon pie, that's 1 dragon fruit 2 sticks and one other thing for almost as much as honey ham.

also, get bees near your base people. build a bee box, then go catch some butterflies. plant the butterflies near the beebox to get flowers. flowers + bees = much honey. If you plant around 9 flowers, that's gonna be 1 big sticky bee box (in summer only)

The question I have is once you have a camp and a general idea of your area, you can farm for logs twigs, rabbits etc. They go away after you "farmed" them. Is it in my interest to keep exploring further out among the wilderness? I plan on doing that after I made a grass suit and some other things. Also I need a permanent resident. lol.

forget grass suit totally. log suit you want.

Also, I don't settle until I've found the pigs with beefalos nearby. First 4-6 days I roam the edges of the map and map out the territory, live off berries/carrots and normal non stone campfires. keep mapping until you find all the vital stuff and know where the different biomes and wormholes are.

rabbits etc do come back. you want to be near a spot with many rabbit holes. I make about 4 traps and always put em with no bait directly above the holes in the ground. try and run back that way from my adventures on the way home at night, grab 4 rabbits (reset the trap after getting the rabbit).

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Yesterday I watched this on Youtube for five hours. I was just supposed to check the gameplay quickly but I got stuck watching like a sloth. Maybe it was due to the game being super interesting plus the gameplay uploader (Sips) being also good at narrating while playing.

ramuh

from memory you need

2 big meat
1 honey
some filler (I believe either straw or twigs can fill, something almost worthless anyway)

there is also the dragon fruit that can make dragon pie, that's 1 dragon fruit 2 sticks and one other thing for almost as much as honey ham.

also, get bees near your base people. build a bee box, then go catch some butterflies. plant the butterflies near the beebox to get flowers. flowers + bees = much honey. If you plant around 9 flowers, that's gonna be 1 big sticky bee box (in summer only)

forget grass suit totally. log suit you want.

Also, I don't settle until I've found the pigs with beefalos nearby. First 4-6 days I roam the edges of the map and map out the territory, live off berries/carrots and normal non stone campfires. keep mapping until you find all the vital stuff and know where the different biomes and wormholes are.

rabbits etc do come back. you want to be near a spot with many rabbit holes. I make about 4 traps and always put em with no bait directly above the holes in the ground. try and run back that way from my adventures on the way home at night, grab 4 rabbits (reset the trap after getting the rabbit).

Cool. Thanks for tips!

_hekk05

Banned
from memory you need

2 big meat
1 honey

I find big meat hard or risky to get. Build a bird cage and imprison a bird. Cooking 1 egg + 1 of any meat+ 1 veggie +1 anything except twigs gives you pierogi. Heals hp and hunger pretty well.

You can feed the bird stuff you won't eat, like cooked monster meat for eggs. Works best with a farm and a source of spiders nearby.

I find my main use of honey is for honey nuggets ( honey + morsel) and taffie. Taffies heal sanity but takes away some hp. Having taffies are good for healing up after insane trips to kill beardlings or for regular trips in wormholes.

Lucent

I tried to make a Don't Starve style avatar of myself. I think it's pretty decent.

1512710_10203024818724345_2145406623_n.jpg

Now, back to surviving! lol

Jintor

Yeah, you need a good manure source pronto. I wouldn't advise setting up anywhere permanent until you can find a good beefalo horde for preference, or a pig village if you're desperate (i find feeding the greedy buggers is a real pain in the ass). Just beware of mating season.

hwateber

Damn, these impressions are glowing. I have my ps+ card from Black Friday ready to activate. I was waiting on a must have plus game to do so but it seems like this is it

WTF? I got winter on day 10. Died from exposure...twice. I feel like touchstones are worthless once winter is on, because you can't make clothes fast enough, and if you can't make an axe fast enough, you can't make a fire. Only time I've had it come this early. Anyone else experience this? I was like, "Come the fuck on, this is bullshit." I was on a real roll too. Found the Maxwell Gate and decided the last few times to try tracing the edges of the map. I just walk around all the shorelines. The map is HUUUUUUUUUUGE! I think it would take 25-30 game days to just complete one circuit of it. I assume they're all randomly-generated too. PEACE.
Maybe leave some supplies or crafted clothing neat a touchstone? Wouldn't that work?

Lucent

On day 22. 2nd day of Winter. Thought I'd chill at my camp and try not to venture too far so. But there were a couple of hounds that came out of nowhere. I'm trying to shake them off but even when they leave my sight I have no idea where they're at. They don't seem to run far off because I went back towards my camp and there they were. =l I hope I don't die just because a couple of random hounds came at me. I need to somehow kill them or get rid of them while keeping myself from starving or being caught in the dark. =(

I accidently ate a mushroom. My sanity dropped really low and then I started gettin chased by a tree. I kept running then night hit so I made camp but the tree just followed me and murdered me.

Lucent

Welp, I died. Night came and all I could do was run around my campfire. Eventually the hounds killed me. =l

I need to build armor next time. And walls.

JABEE

I wasn't sure if I was going to like this game, but it's really cool. I was able to only get to Day 7 in my few attempts. Watching other people play the game on Twitch, I realized that I may have been playing the game wrong. I started going insane from sitting next to fires and eating mushrooms. I feel like I have only scratched the surface.

Awesome start to the free PS+ games. Resogun and now Don't Starve.

Edit: I didn't even realize you could sleep in this game.

Pimpwerx

Maybe leave some supplies or crafted clothing neat a touchstone? Wouldn't that work?

Yes, but I'm never prepared when I cross one of those things, and I never go back to them. Yeah...self-imposed problems. LOL!

Can anybody put together a quick strategy. I saw that wiki but it's not an easy guide. It over complicated things imo. Maybe it didn't help that I was at work when reading it and just perused it instead of really dissecting it

So far what I do is start out collecting stuff to get an axe then move on to whatever it takes to make a fire. Then i look for carrots and berries and maybe make a trap to catch bunnies. When night his I just cook up what I have a wait till day. Then repeat as I wonder around looking for rocks and somewhere that has gold so I can make a science machine. I try and find things on the way until I can find some pigs or spiders (I finally found beefalo first the first time after like 10 tries). Then I'll set up an actual for pit and make my since science machine. My last play through I was able to feed the pigs monster meat and get them on my side, make a bunch of traps for bunnies and birds by my home base and I set up a farm with fertilizer and seeds. Then I died getting too aggressive with spiders. I know should just run away but I thought I could take them (lesson learned).

Any corrections to my initial strategy or advice on how to take the next step to get these establishments that y'all have?

I get the pickaxe first. It'll get me more than enough flint to make more axes. I usually don't chop wood until dusk sets in anyway, even on the first day. Trees are the most common thing in the game, and it doesn't take long to gather enough wood for a fire. Focus on gathering materials for a science and alchemy building then a backpack. The extra carry capacity is huge IMO. It lets me carry a log suit, just in case I get in a scrap. Grab any seeds, carrots or berries along the way.

This game I'm playing is currently Day15 (I needed a break). I'm not even bothering with traps. Not until winter, assuming I figure out how to deal with exposure. I'm strictly farming. I setup 8 improved farms, and while that might seem like more than necessary, it really helps even out the food supply, for days when I don't find many seeds or want to do more exploring. Plus, I had a lot of manure to get rid off. Ha! PEACE.

On day 22. 2nd day of Winter. Thought I'd chill at my camp and try not to venture too far so. But there were a couple of hounds that came out of nowhere. I'm trying to shake them off but even when they leave my sight I have no idea where they're at. They don't seem to run far off because I went back towards my camp and there they were. =l I hope I don't die just because a couple of random hounds came at me. I need to somehow kill them or get rid of them while keeping myself from starving or being caught in the dark. =(
Best way I found to get rid of hounds is to camp near beefalo and then lead the hounds into them. The beefalo will destroy the hounds.

bebop242

Yesterday I watched this on Youtube for five hours. I was just supposed to check the gameplay quickly but I got stuck watching like a sloth. Maybe it was due to the game being super interesting plus the gameplay uploader (Sips) being also good at narrating while playing.

Yeah I was watching streams of this game and I prob could have watched it all day. Interesting to see the different, or lack of, strategies of the different players. I think this would have been a good interactive game too where viewers could affect the game's world and change elements and drop supplies like the Hunger Games.

Jintor

What happens if you have two touchstones active at the same time? I came across two almost directly next to each other and activated both.

you'll get two respawns but take the health hit for both

re: your hound problem, the game actively spawns hounds to hunt you down every few days. You'll know cos your char will say something like "Did you hear that?" or "What was that sound" That's your cue to go find some pigs or to hide amongst the beehives or something.

Yeah I was watching streams of this game and I prob could have watched it all day. Interesting to see the different, or lack of, strategies of the different players. I think this would have been a good interactive game too where viewers could affect the game's world and change elements and drop supplies like the Hunger Games.

If there was a 'daily seed' world, they should implement dark souls style messages and ghosts :p

Lucent

Best way I found to get rid of hounds is to camp near beefalo and then lead the hounds into them. The beefalo will destroy the hounds.

Good idea. Actually started a new run and this map there is a HUGE grass area in this one where it stretches forever and there is a ton of beefalo.

I just ran into my first chess area after like 5 plays. Those guys do not mess around. I don't even know how you would fight those. =l

I also found the Eye Bone and have Chester following me around carrying items. It's not quite as convenient as the backpack (since you can pause to look through things and can't with Chester) but it almost is the same thing and lets me wear armor.

I love how the game randomly places things. I found a fire dart along the way next to a skeleton. That Eye Bone was just there. Feels almost like a different game every time.

I think I may have to figure out how to play more efficiently though. There are so many different things you can create and I was only able to make a small amount of them because I'm so worried about eating and gathering stuff.

This is like the new age oregon trail. Had a good ass map but picked the robot & the rain killed me. Now I'm using the librarian. She makea things a little easier with the books

BIG_V-G-V

Banned
Need to put some more time into this tomorrow. First run through made it to day 4. I think once I get a hang of the whole thing, I'll enjoy it much more!

Started getting into this today, but questions-

how do you replenish brain power/sanity?

is there a trick to traps? I've laid them down near 5 rabbits nests and nothing happened, not even the next day. Do you have to chase them into it?

EGOMON

is there a trick to traps? I've laid them down near 5 rabbits nests and nothing happened, not even the next day. Do you have to chase them into it?

You replenish sanity by eating cooked food, picking flowers, wearing flower-hat, try to avoid darkness and stay as close as possible to the fire also don't eat monster meat or mushrooms as they reduce your sanity.

To catch a rabbit either you bait the trap with a carrot (stand next to the trap highlight the carrot and press left in the d-pad) or put the trap right next to the rabbit hole without a bait this way they get trapped when they try to go back or leave the hole.

Ferrio

Banned

Making a flower hat early on is a good way

is there a trick to traps? I've laid them down near 5 rabbits nests and nothing happened,
not even the next day. Do you have to chase them into it?

Place them right next to the holes. You can't place them directly ontop but you can place them right outside the hole's boundary. The rabbits will get trapped pretty much as soon as they come out.

about sanity, basically what other people said, i also think hanging around monsters/dead woods biome too much reduces sanity (it was like that in the pc ver, maybe they changed it since)

for traps, you can either put it right on top of a hole (works most of the time) or put a carrot under it

Lucent

I watched a few videos of it, looks kinda boring to me sadly.

Well, if you have a PS4 and PS+, why not give it a try? Watching someone else play this sort of game could be pretty boring unless the person knows what they're doing and/or has that flare that makes him/her fun to watch.

I just put myself in the "I need to do this or I'm gonna die" mood. And it's not easy to kill things, so you genuinely are afraid of running into monsters. I got chased by a bunch of spiders and I was running for my life. lol

Dragnet

Jesus, how long did that take you? That's over 5 hours, isn't it? I read that each day is 8 minutes. I now know why my 20+ day runs felt so long for me playing. It's a long session of gaming. PEACE.

Ha, yeah it was easily 4 hours+. So easy to get sucked in though! I told myself I'd stop before Winter but then I couldn't pull myself away, I feared when I came back later I might mess it up so it was best to just power through Winter at the time? Reading other people's replies it seems like I fluked out by building a Heat Stone, Drying Racks and Stone Walls just before Winter hit! I do wish there was some kind of gate you could build though.

Lucent

Ha, yeah it was easily 4 hours+. So easy to get sucked in though! I told myself I'd stop before Winter but then I couldn't pull myself away, I feared when I came back later I might mess it up so it was best to just power through Winter at the time? Reading other people's replies it seems like I fluked out by building a Heat Stone, Drying Racks and Stone Walls just before Winter hit! I do wish there was some kind of gate you could build though.

Yeah that'd be very helpful. Seems kind of pointless to build walls if monsters can just go through the opening. It's almost like you gotta have a wall ready to place while running and place it after you get in. And then gotta be able to destroy it. =l

MMaRsu

Wow I was playing and accidentally set my base on fire. I was thinking about quitting the game before the autosave kicked in but the game thought the same and gave me this error instead.

20140110_124310.jpg

20140110_124300.jpg

Dragnet

Yeah that'd be very helpful. Seems kind of pointless to build walls if monsters can just go through the opening. It's almost like you gotta have a wall ready to place while running and place it after you get in. And then gotta be able to destroy it. =l

My solution ended up being always carrying a small stack of hay walls to seal the gap on me as well as a hammer to break the hay down into grass again when morning came. Not the most elegant solution but it helped me feel safe!

Top Bottom