• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

MMaRsu

Wendy starts with a special item, a flower that can be used to summon her dead sister, who follows Wendy and does AOE damage to enemies. To use it, you drop it on the ground and sacrifice an animal (murdering a rabbit in your inventory works fine) near it and wait for her to summon.

Wow. Thanks man glad I still have that flower in my chest in my base :). This should make Winter more bearable.

Carl

Got up to Day 12, thought i was doing pretty well. Had a camp set up with a nice forest planted around, surround by rabbit holes with plenty of traps, a hoard of buffalo (things) just to the south....All was going well!

Until i randomly got attacked by a bunch of hounds.

MMaRsu

Got up to Day 12, thought i was doing pretty well. Had a camp set up with a nice forest planted around, surround by rabbit holes with plenty of traps, a hoard of buffalo (things) just to the south....All was going well!

Until i randomly got attacked by a bunch of hounds.

A spear and some protection might help!

Carl

A spear and some protection might help!

Had a spear and some basic protection. However, i had to go on a quest for some flowers a couple of days before to spare my sanity, which pissed off the local bees and made my health really low. The hounds finished me off.

Jobbs

Banned
Dang, that was monumentally dumb of me. I spent so much time getting all set up, getting everything ready, I finally had 8 racks up cranking out jerkey, stockpiling it, tons of rabbit traps out, everything in a row... all my farms taking care of my day to day needs and letting me store 100% of the jerkey... about 4 days left to winter and...

I got lazy running around checking my rabbit traps, got caught in the dark, and for some reason it wouldn't let me place a campfire. died.

So stupid. :)

_hekk05

Banned
Dang, that was monumentally dumb of me. I spent so much time getting all set up, getting everything ready, I finally had 8 racks up cranking out jerkey, stockpiling it, tons of rabbit traps out, everything in a row... all my farms taking care of my day to day needs and letting me store 100% of the jerkey... about 4 days left to winter and...

I got lazy running around checking my rabbit traps, got caught in the dark, and for some reason it wouldn't let me place a campfire. died.

So stupid. :)

Always have a torch in your inventory. Learned that the hard way. Now you too.

todahawk

OH FUCK ME I GOT GREEDY!

lol, this game is like Demon's Souls in how it punishes you for greed.

I was at Day 59 and the Beefalos were in heat and just finished a huge battle with a third stage spider den I instigated. I kept skirting around the herd picking up items... lots of spider glands, silk, beef, fur and horns. But I got caught on the edge of the spider web and two beefalos nailed me.

Died with a fire staff, ice staff and tons of shit.

I was completely set too. I had 4 chests of rabbits stored up, 4 drying racks. Perfect location, tons of berries, twigs, grass... beefalo to the north and south. paths connecting to nearby rocks, pigs to the north. JUST PERFECT and I GOT FUCKING GREEDY.

too good, hopefully i learned my lesson.

Mikey Jr.

I love this game, there is only 1 thing I don't like.

I wish I was able to stop time when looking at what I can build. You can stop time when looking at your inventory, but not at things you can build which I find odd. Should be reversed. I am wasting lots of daylight scrolling through things, trying to figure out what I need to build what.

Dont like that.

Trouble

Banned

I wish I was able to stop time when looking at what I can build. You can stop time when looking at your inventory, but not at things you can build which I find odd. Should be reversed. I am wasting lots of daylight scrolling through things, trying to figure out what I need to build what.

Dont like that.

I've almost gotten eaten by Charlie a few times when I let my fire go out because I was too focused on crafting.

_hekk05

Banned

Dont like that.

Heh. You can't even stop time in PC version.

It still makes sense. If you know the game well enough, you know what you want to build. If you want to move stuff around in inventory, you have to think and spend time.

At least in PC you can move and sort inventory at the same time.

Xenon

I *think* pressing R2 to bring up your inventory menu let's you select a specific amount of an item to move to another slot. Not sure if there's any other way.

I saw that but I usually never have the open slot. It should be tap down to drop one hold to drop all.

They should rename the game Don't get killed by hounds, or Don't lose your mind because starving is the least of my worries right now.

Also
The WereBeaver has really good music.

Rodelero

I knew things were going too well. Previous tries during winter were always such a struggle. Got to a position where I wasn't struggling, had a nice little base set up with a forest at my doorstep and a ton of rabbit holes being worked for meat then jerky.

Vaguely noticed that every time I was killing a rabbit, a strange scream occurred afterwards. Thought little of it. Cut down a tree, and a treeguard appears. That would have been OK. Unfortunately, then
the Krampus
arrived to punish me double. Ended up dead.

Came back at a touch stone, and immediately got attacked by hounds while simultaneously freezing to death.

What's the best way to heal yourself? Food doesn't seem to increase health at all. Also is the garland best for keeping sanity up? That's all I can find so far.
First play through and died on Day 16 because I was attacked by some hounds and couldn't heal. Also, how do you create armour? Haven't seen a way to craft it yet.

Sanke__

What's the best way to heal yourself? Food doesn't seem to increase health at all. Also is the garland best for keeping sanity up? That's all I can find so far.
First play through and died on Day 16 because I was attacked by some hounds and couldn't heal. Also, how do you create armour? Haven't seen a way to craft it yet.

Wen you cook berries and seeds and such they give you health in addition and yes the garland is awesome and the armor is in the weapons menu you can make grass armor almost immediately and wooden armor once you get the science machine also eating butterfly wings gives a decent amount of health

Lucent

Had a spear and some basic protection. However, i had to go on a quest for some flowers a couple of days before to spare my sanity, which pissed off the local bees and made my health really low. The hounds finished me off.

Last time some hounds chased me and I ran around some bee hives until the bees got pissed at the hounds and they killed the hounds for me. lol

Cairnsay

Banned
I don't usually play these sort of games, but trying to branch out and try new stuff this year (that and being free with PS plus), and I am really enjoying it. It took a while for me to fully get into it, at first I really wasn't feeling it. After the first play through, dying at day 12, I turned it off and dismissed it, then promptly spent the next three hours thinking about the game and what I needed to do on my next run through. I love having to carefully plan out what I have to do in the day, and how that changes the further you progress in the game. For instance now at day 8, having a tentative camp set up nearby a pig village, and spending each day going off in different directions in a desperate search for gold, having to make sure I am back at my camp area in time to empty/reset my rabbit traps before dark.

Speaking of which has anyone else had the problem of not being able to find gold, on my first run through I found a lump of gold on the 2nd day and was able to build the science machine really early, but didn't really take advantage of it. Now understand the game a little better I have a bunch of stuff ready to construct as soon as I have the science machine, but as yet no luck finding gold.

Wen you cook berries and seeds and such they give you health in addition and yes the garland is awesome and the armor is in the weapons menu you can make grass armor almost immediately and wooden armor once you get the science machine also eating butterfly wings gives a decent amount of health
Thanks for that. I didn't notice the grass and wood armour at all. And I didn't think to cook berries and seeds for health either!

Very addictive this game!

Just started. Wow. Reminds me of playing Demon's Souls for the first time.

So it was getting dark, and I setup a campfire. Then I was wandering off gathering food, and it got completely dark. I tried to light a torch, but it wouldn't work. It said inventory full.

What's the deal here? Do you have to have a space at the bottom to build a torch? Also, if I have a torch out, does that mean I can't have an axe out?

Also, if I build a torch with an axe out, do I lose the axe?

Thanks. Don't want to look at the wiki yet, but I do want to understand the inventory system a little better.

Honestly, this is the most fun I've had with my PS4 so far . . .

todahawk

Just started. Wow. Reminds me of playing Demon's Souls for the first time.

So it was getting dark, and I setup a campfire. Then I was wandering off gathering food, and it got completely dark. I tried to light a torch, but it wouldn't work. It said inventory full.

What's the deal here? Do you have to have a space at the bottom to build a torch? Also, if I have a torch out, does that mean I can't have an axe out?

Also, if I build a torch with an axe out, do I lose the axe?

Thanks. Don't want to look at the wiki yet, but I do want to understand the inventory system a little better.

Honestly, this is the most fun I've had with my PS4 so far . . .

yep, creating something, anything, takes up an inventory slot.

no, only one tool equipped at a time. there will be options later to free up your hand from holding a torch later. i usually make my early campfires where i can see trees so i can chop at night. that or craft or cook food.

no, you don't lose anything, it just swaps it to wherever that item was in your inventory. only way to lose something is to use it up (durability %) or to drop it and walk away.

Thanks! I'm still really having trouble with the inventory. I am about to die because I can't get the damn pinecones on the fire. I just don't understand how the menus all work, and if someone could explain the process of selecting the pinecone and putting it on the fire, I think I could extrapolate the information for use with the other items . . .

Like what is the deal with "Select" vs. "Put" etc. Just died. Ugh.

MMaRsu

Thanks! I'm still really having trouble with the inventory. I am about to die because I can't get the damn pinecones on the fire. I just don't understand how the menus all work, and if someone could explain the process of selecting the pinecone and putting it on the fire, I think I could extrapolate the information for use with the other items . . .

Stand by fire, move cursor over pinecone, press left on d-pad to add fuel.

If you use r2 thats more for inventory management.

Rur0ni

Played some on Remote Play, worked pretty well.

Made it to day 4 or 5 and saved. Interesting game... Could be a big time sink.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Getting better at this. I'm at day 25 and I've been chased by hounds 2 times. Both times I've slayed them. They turned out to be fairly easy to deal with despite the build up.

My home is a bit oddly placed but I have a rabbit colony right next to it so it's a steady supply of food. Thinking of moving nearer to the pigs and buffaloes. I've seen some rabbits near.

Haven't encountered winter yet but reckoning I will in a bit.

Will continue tomorrow.

Jintor

I don't usually play these sort of games, but trying to branch out and try new stuff this year (that and being free with PS plus), and I am really enjoying it. It took a while for me to fully get into it, at first I really wasn't feeling it. After the first play through, dying at day 12, I turned it off and dismissed it, then promptly spent the next three hours thinking about the game and what I needed to do on my next run through. I love having to carefully plan out what I have to do in the day, and how that changes the further you progress in the game. For instance now at day 8, having a tentative camp set up nearby a pig village, and spending each day going off in different directions in a desperate search for gold, having to make sure I am back at my camp area in time to empty/reset my rabbit traps before dark.

Speaking of which has anyone else had the problem of not being able to find gold, on my first run through I found a lump of gold on the 2nd day and was able to build the science machine really early, but didn't really take advantage of it. Now understand the game a little better I have a bunch of stuff ready to construct as soon as I have the science machine, but as yet no luck finding gold.

The random map setup can be really punishing. I need to wormhole away to find a decent quarry and marsh for papyrus.

Rocks being non-renwable is really kicking my ass. I guess I could go spelunking or something but I need to figure out a way to get fireflies first...

Lucent

Getting better at this. I'm at day 25 and I've been chased by hounds 2 times. Both times I've slayed them. They turned out to be fairly easy to deal with despite the build up.

My home is a bit oddly placed but I have a rabbit colony right next to it so it's a steady supply of food. Thinking of moving nearer to the pigs and buffaloes. I've seen some rabbits near.

Haven't encountered winter yet but reckoning I will in a bit.

Will continue tomorrow.

What the heck? Wonder how you're on day 25 and haven't encountered winter yet. Winter always seems to hit for me on day 21.

MMaRsu

Wow I beat my first season of Winter. Wendy is still going strong and I'm on day 39 now. Actually am scared to play on cause I dont want to lose all my shit lol :(. Damn this game has a grasp on me.

Replicant

Day 15. What else can I do to make the upcoming Winter easier on myself?

DMPCqUp.jpg

Also, how can I expand the items that I can equip? I can only equip 3 and that's problematic when I'm holding an axe since it means I can only have 2 equipped items.

todahawk

Day 15. What else can I do to make the upcoming Winter easier on myself?

DMPCqUp.jpg

good setup.
depending on what resources are nearby, more rabbit trap and either more drying racks or if you have berries/carrots/mushrooms nearby setup a crock pot. 1 meat and three berries/veggies/mushrooms = meatballs and it's great for hungry and helps with health and sanity.

Q: If I collect a bunch of rocks, logs, twigs, etc. can I put them down at my basecamp, and be sure they'll be there when I return (barring some animal coming and destroying camp)? Like, if I want to go gather all sorts of other items, I can be safe in doing that right?

Jintor

Q: If I collect a bunch of rocks, logs, twigs, etc. can I put them down at my basecamp, and be sure they'll be there when I return (barring some animal coming and destroying camp)? Like, if I want to go gather all sorts of other items, I can be safe in doing that right?

I think animals only eat food, so that's the only thing you really have to worry about.

I have bits of flint and nitre lying all over the map cos I don't need it and the game seems to track it all, so whatevs

maltrain

I can say right now this is EASILY my favorite game on PS4 till now.

What a start for PS+ considering Resogun is my third one (after Battlefield 4) and next month some sources says Outlast will be the PS+ game and DriveClub on march.

Brilliant...

I've seem to have terrible luck in this game. I've seen beefalo once. I either get a good food supply and no gold or tons of gold and no good supply. I've been making sure to venture out a lot but can't seem to get firing on all cylinders. The one time I did I get kill by hounds. I was running from them and I accidentally ran into those giant birds and was killed by a single peck

Noahd41

Neo Member
I just got to day 8 or so after a few sessions were I couldn't really get past day 4/5 since I was experimenting. I found a nice little spot with about 8 rabbit holes so I've put traps over all of them and started planting my pine cones nearby so I have enough fuel and my fire never goes out. I eventually wandered over to what seemed like the far side of the map and it was all rocks. I found a piece of gold and a lot of rock so I built an upgraded fire pit and popped up my first science machine. I decided to save here since I'm in good shape and don't want to lose this most recent time incentive. I've only come across bees, frogs and spiders so far but like many others starving actually isn't that hard to avoid given my current set up. Pretty quirky game so far. Not entirely sure what to do next, probably go back and mine some more rocks and keep exploring/try to avoid trouble.

maltrain

Tip:

If you find a chest with a "winter ghost" inside (change the season to winter when you open it)... quit the application inmediately if you can (if you saved before) and destroy the thing with a hammer... you'll be able to recover all the pieces of the chest AND it content.

Top Bottom