• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
The random map setup can be really punishing. I need to wormhole away to find a decent quarry and marsh for papyrus.

Rocks being non-renwable is really kicking my ass. I guess I could go spelunking or something but I need to figure out a way to get fireflies first...

Only way to get fireflies is to catch them with a bug net in the dead of night. You can quick-swap from a torch to the net and grab them before the darkness takes you, then immediately switch back to the torch before the unthinkable happens.

You can also just duck into a cave with a torch and harvest a few lightbulbs, then make a Lantern. It's not hands-free like the Miner's Hat, but unlike a torch it can continue to provide light while dropped on the ground. You can carry it around 'til it's fighting time, then drop it on the ground and equip your weapon of choice. It'll leave a nice little circle of light for you to maneuver in during combat and leave your head slot free for a dapper or protective hat. Handy item once you get used to using it.

Wow I beat my first season of Winter. Wendy is still going strong and I'm on day 39 now. Actually am scared to play on cause I dont want to lose all my shit lol :(. Damn this game has a grasp on me.

Wendy's totes da best.

If you aren't already, use Ham Bats as your main weapon. Once you're used to kiting in combat the most annoying thing about her damage penalty is actually the fact that it effectively lowers the durability of all her weapons, since it takes more hits to kill each enemy. Ham Bats don't have durability, though, they just spoil over the course of several days and can be used an unlimited number of times until they rot. That makes them useful for most characters, but super useful for Wendy (and, for that matter, Wolfgang if you're forced to fight in his low-powered form for whatever reason) since it completely negates the de facto penalty to weapon durability that they suffer.

Sanke__

Dammit.

I've been watching you for a while. You really like straddling the starving line don't you!

EDIT:
Holy shit! That's what wormholes are? Goddamit. I was scared of them...

You should be scared of them
They really hurt you sanity
They really arent worth it until you dont have anywhere left to go nearby

Be friend with 5 pigs (give them "monster meat") and go with them to that zone... let they fight for you. XD

Thanks for this
Really wish i would have known this a couple games ago when i was camped near the clockwork area and a pig village

Darksol

Krampus came for me. I guess he heard about my 20+ traps netting rabbits all day long. Fucker tried to steal from me so I put on my log armour (or whatever it's called) and stabbed him to death with a spear.

Take no prisoners. Day 24, and I refuse to give up my camp to any two bit jerk.

todahawk

Q: If I collect a bunch of rocks, logs, twigs, etc. can I put them down at my basecamp, and be sure they'll be there when I return (barring some animal coming and destroying camp)? Like, if I want to go gather all sorts of other items, I can be safe in doing that right?

I had a couple of pigs help me clear a good chunk of forest and i had about a third of it still on the ground when lightning struck and burned it all up.

Be careful leaving anything flammable on the ground like logs, grass, or twigs...

I just got attacked by hounds (some sort of snarling beast) on day 7 lol. Had a good camp with veggies going and a lot of resources around too.

I'm assuming wood armor and spear?

I have so much fun trying to play this game; but I really, REALLY suck at it. I always light my fire too early without having means to make a second one. Gotta work on that! Fun game, though. I really like the style.

Trouble

Banned
I have so much fun trying to play this game; but I really, REALLY suck at it. I always light my fire too early without having means to make a second one. Gotta work on that! Fun game, though. I really like the style.

You know you can feed a fire, right? Twigs, grass, wood and all sort of other stuff too. Just be careful with the campfire because if you feed it too much it can set neighboring stuff on fire.

jf DOOM

Got lucky hunting for gears.
game spawned the clockwork pieces next to 8 killer bee hives. Got the bees to chase me to where the clockwork pieces were. This set off the rook which started running through a bunch of trees which spawned a tree guard. The tree guard proceeded to kill all the pieces that the bees didn't finish off. Accomploshrine built. Now holding down the x button for the 750 uses is going to be a grind.

Ashtar

I was doing good last time I played, I was living the life, but I overstretched myself making a bunch of inventions around the pig people, I overloaded myself and ended up running out of grass for fires, I had previously opened a sink hole and a bunch of bats came out and attacked me while I tried to get grass, then I ran out of light and got killed :(

ixix

I just got attacked by hounds (some sort of snarling beast) on day 7 lol. Had a good camp with veggies going and a lot of resources around too.

I'm assuming wood armor and spear?

Pretty much. You can also use a good old-fashioned axe in a pinch, which only deals ~20% less damage per hit than a spear even though it's not a dedicated melee weapon.

Hounds will also attack anything that moves, so luring them near a Beefalo herd, a Pig town, or even a spider den will get lead to them eventually picking a fight with your ad hoc allies. Add a Bush Hat to hide under to guarantee your own safety, though your character will annoyingly pop out of hiding every once in a while to announce that the hounds are incoming. If you hide again immediately every time that happens the hounds will just ignore you so long as you don't move.

Lucent

I was doing good last time I played, I was living the life, but I overstretched myself making a bunch of inventions around the pig people, I overloaded myself and ended up running out of grass for fires, I had previously opened a sink hole and a bunch of bats came out and attacked me while I tried to get grass, then I ran out of light and got killed :(

If you had a pitchfork, you probably could've dug up some of the ground. I used some of the savaana grass to fuel my fires. I'm sure that other grass would work, too.

_hekk05

Banned

Plant those pine cones! Also if you're wilson your beard makes for great fuel

Ok, just got to Day 10 and saved. What a game.

So honestly, I kind of feel like if all I wanted to do was survive, I could make it a long ways. I have a nice spot setup in a corner where no one attacks me. I have two rabbit holes that I mine for food. I have 10+ flint rocks, so I can keep making axes and traps and keep my fire lit and my food stores up. I feel like I could do this indefinitely. I know there's a huge map to explore, pigs to terrorize, and a pig shrine to figure out, but what incentive is the game giving me to leave my little sanctuary? I kind of just feel like waiting it out for winter and seeing what comes. I know there's no wrong way to play, but am I missing out but being so conservative?

Edit: Also, can you win the game?

Had my best play through yet - made it to day 11. However, went insane - got chased by (i don't know what), tried to pick flowers during a 10 minutes case to restore sanity - and died.

Had hunger/health;sorted - but let my sanity slip without even noticing. Had a huge inventory too.

Replicant

Winter sucks. But at least I got some meatballs in my mouth.....

joiAhBk.jpg

Well, it still sucks. I managed to get all the way to day 33 when a pack of hounds (7 of them) attacked my base in the middle of the winter night. What chance do I have of defending myself? None whatsoever. :/

Ferrio

Banned

So honestly, I kind of feel like if all I wanted to do was survive, I could make it a long ways. I have a nice spot setup in a corner where no one attacks me. I have two rabbit holes that I mine for food. I have 10+ flint rocks, so I can keep making axes and traps and keep my fire lit and my food stores up. I feel like I could do this indefinitely. I know there's a huge map to explore, pigs to terrorize, and a pig shrine to figure out, but what incentive is the game giving me to leave my little sanctuary? I kind of just feel like waiting it out for winter and seeing what comes. I know there's no wrong way to play, but am I missing out but being so conservative?

Sorta answered your question there, do you got the type of supplies and gear to survive winter?

Codeblew

My first few times playing, I would build a campfire every night at the beginning. I realized this is a huge waste of time and you can discover more of the map quicker by just using torches through the night. Makes finding a base camp much quicker. You can just eat the berries and carrots uncooked until you find a good camp.

ixix

Winter sucks. But at least I got some meatballs in my mouth.....

joiAhBk.jpg

Well, it still sucks. I managed to get all the way to day 33 when a pack of hounds (7 of them) attacked my base in the middle of the winter night. What chance do I have of defending myself? None whatsoever. :/

Cast thy eyes towards the boundless savannah, where roam the vast herds of mighty Beefalo, lifeblood of many a successful encampment. With but a modicum of forewarning and a hat made of bushes you can turn them into a bulwark against all that threatens you.

Plus their poop is supes useful. Big fan.

Rsinart

Pretty sure I played this for about 6 hours today. Never made it past day 8. Having trouble keeping my sanity down. Everything else I am ok with. Either way great game on PS+.

Sanke__

Pretty sure I played this for about 6 hours today. Never made it past day 8. Having trouble keeping my sanity down. Everything else I am ok with. Either way great game on PS+.

Gather 12 flowers to make a flower hat asap
keeps your sanity up

My best run: 8 days

Let my girlfriend start playing: Day 25 and counting

I've been helping her out and telling her how to do stuff and when the hounds come I'll fight them off but she definitely out played me on this one. She just set up camp next to a bunch of bunnies and has been riding them ever since. She has several food racks going and has 3 cases full of bunnies.

ev0

So I was up to Day 56, and I started to have a problem where it would stop saving my map reveal progress. It was pretty annoying, but I had most of the map. But upon each reload it was a little less.

Anyways, I decided to go into a cave, and it started to generate the cave again, then booted me to an error screen. I got a "stack overflow error".

The crappy part is that's where it created my gamesave, so I lost everything :/

edit: I was able to get an old save from the cloud at least

Siegmeyer

I really tried to like this, and I can see how it could be liked, but I think I am done. Every restart is just too boring.

Yeah I'm the same. It's definitely good fun, but the grind of doing pretty much exactly the same thing for the first few days every time you have to restart has really killed my enthusiasm for it.

Jintor

restart less

nah I kid I get where you're coming from, but I got through all of that my first time through back during first launch on PC, so just popping back into this was rad.

seriously though, man, this is one of the more forgiving roguelikes around...

MMaRsu

Edit: Also, can you win the game?

press start and select save & quit.

Reload your save if you die ( clode app on ps4 before xp screen )

I'm about to start streaming in a bit. Im on day 40 preparing for the coming Second Winter but I might just play my other save.

Chinner

Banned
played a little more today, think it's clicking abit. not on the ps4 at the moment, she's putting rocks into a fire turn it into stone by any chance? Audi what's the best way to make a trap?

Jobbs

Banned
My first run, 9 days. Second, 23 days and died from insanity in the winter, not realizing how to stay sane and not realizing insanity made rabbits near useless as a food source.

third run, made it 15 days and was totally set up for a good winter, cranking jerky, but died stupidly by being caught in the dark while checking rabbit traps and being careless.

fourth run... day 30. Was surviving winter effortlessly. Just beat back a new hound attack, which consisted of four hounds.

1531531_688830747806284_855268640_n.jpg

This wall helped a little bit with the quadhound attack, but not as much as I thought it would. I wouldn't do it like this again.

I had a huge supply of jerky, was still cranking out more, was set up totally. Thought this was going to go the long haul.

..Until I died stupidly *again*.

Let me explain what happened. Not long ago, I witnessed penguins get in the middle of irate, mating season beefalos. There was a big battle, and I kinda got to sneak in and steal up a bunch of nice meat and beefalo hides and other things. Was amazing. Just a total jackpot.

1503970_688831154472910_156159573_n.jpg

Penguins wandered into mating beefalos. Freaking jackpot for me ensues.

Since this happened recently and the results were so bountiful, as seen above, I saw another opportunity for this not long later. I saw a group of mating beefalos, and I saw penguins a little ways away. So I aggrod the penguins and ran for the beefalos.

I had full health and didn't think I was in any real danger, and learned the hard way that a group of sliding penguins can insta-gib you. Apparently they all hit at once and all do damage at once and yea...

The lesson last time was "don't die stupidly from getting caught carelessly in the dark". The lesson this time is to not be tempted to start a penguin beefalo war unless the situation is dire, and I was already fat and with huge stockpiles of food. It wasn't worth the risk.

Incidental side note: I have unlocked a lot of characters now, but I think my favorite to play is Willow. Why? The lighter comes in handy and is convenient, sure, but I like that standing at the fire renews my sanity. Sanity is never really a problem for Willow. Maybe it's never really a problem for anyone once you are good at the game, I dunno, but not having to worry about that aspect of the game makes things feel more hassle free. Keep in mind I had a previous character *die* from insanity.

Lace

Surviving in sandbox (normal mode) is pretty easy once you understand the world. However, I just found the first real world of five (adventure mode) and I've discovered just how unforgiving this game really could be. Never ending winter at the very start is painful.

Making camp feels useless once you take on the story. Feel like I am better off rushing for the goal due to the complete lack of resources and increased enemy count.

Teletraan1

Banned
Started a game as Willow. The Wiki really downplays her fire and immunity ability. It got me thinking about how I could use her ability to defend myself. I had a lot of rocks to my North so what I did was build a large square entrance to my base. Fill it with traps and Trees. When the hounds show up I simply light my entrance on fire when they are inside and burn them to death. The firehounds hopefully die from the traps and if not they die in 2 hits from a spear. She is great on Sanity because she slowly builds it when next to a fire. Very easy character to keep sane, she can forage around the base at night. I am on day 65 right now trucking along. I also planted trees around a penguin spawning and burned them to death and just stood there to collect meat. I was thinking of making one of these kill boxes close to a beefalo herd to the south to see if I could replicate this on beefalo but winter hit so I am just in survive mode now. If I survive this winter I will try it out after. The key was standing in the fire and collecting the items before they burn (if they were flammable)

Yasir

Day 62 :) have a nice little fort built. Into my second winter, scary times, foods running low and the swamp area to the north is expanding it seems.

For hounds, as soon as the warning sounds start to their presence I make a quick run south to the beefalows, its most like a fire drill.

I'm considering a sorta terramorph for the swamp area of my map. I know I can remove the swamp turf not sure if I can replace it with grass, going to see if its possible to fertilise the area. We shall see.

Playing as willow, think she's easily the best character to pick. Her infinite lighter means the night is no longer an issue and even winter is easier to get through with her lighter and fire immunity.

Still too afraid to go into caves though.

What an amazing game!

Cyborg

How can you guys pick diffrent charachters? I only can start with the litle dude? Am I doing something wrong?

_hekk05

Banned
Just started a run on the pc again. So many new things! I haven't played in like half a year.

15 days in with next to no food. Using all my honey making taffies to heal sanity.

Spider spawners are too far away to efficiently farm silk and monster meat. Waiting for them to level up to 3 so i can move a nest closer to my base but a nearby pig villages seems to regularly kill them.

Bad luck with rng. Haven't seen a single beefalo yet. Plenty of bees and ponds though. Also a huge field of reeds full of tentacles. Never again.

Only good thing is I have 2 early ice boxes. With no food though.

Must find beefalos in 2 days or winter is gonna be harsh.

How many days into the game did you guys start using walls? I'm not using the wiki and I don't even have a rope yet. On day 10 or so

FHIZ

How can you guys pick diffrent charachters? I only can start with the litle dude? Am I doing something wrong?

Play the game with the default, after you die, you get XP which unlocks new characters. The longer you survive, the more XP you get.

Yasir

How many days into the game did you guys start using walls? I'm not using the wiki and I don't even have a rope yet. On day 10 or so

I had all the stone collected before winter (around day 20) and built the first part of my fort during the winter days. Its not hugely important really, the walls don't really keep many things around. The hounds can break the stone walls down. But wanted my chests safe and wanted somewhere to call "home" and its nice being able to throw things on the floor in your fort knowing they won't disappear etc.

Also willow and wooden walls don't not work too well, she has a tendency to light shit up randomly on occasion. Burnt my entire fort down because of it, hence now I only do stone!

todahawk

isn't the game supposed to autosave?
It crashed last night and I lost 20 days of progress. gonna save manually more often now...

I really enjoy the game. More than I thought I would. I still don't use the wikis because I like to be surprised and experiment even if I die in a week.

isn't the game supposed to autosave?
It crashed last night and I lost 20 days of progress. gonna save manually more often now...

A mod wrote this on the Don't starve forum

"The auto-save will happen whenever a world is created, a cave is entered, or entering into Maxwell's Door. It will not save the game every night to prevent people from simply closing their game when something bad happens. You have to select the "Save and Exit" game in the Pause Menu to save the game otherwise.

And yes, once you die in the game, it will automatically delete your save game as part of the "rogue-like" design of the game. Part of the game design is for the player to try to survive as many days as they can without dying. Allowing the player to simply load a saved game when they die would defeat the challenge. "

Teletraan1

Banned
Just started a run on the pc again. So many new things! I haven't played in like half a year.

15 days in with next to no food. Using all my honey making taffies to heal sanity.

Spider spawners are too far away to efficiently farm silk and monster meat. Waiting for them to level up to 3 so i can move a nest closer to my base but a nearby pig villages seems to regularly kill them.

Bad luck with rng. Haven't seen a single beefalo yet. Plenty of bees and ponds though. Also a huge field of reeds full of tentacles. Never again.

Only good thing is I have 2 early ice boxes. With no food though.

Must find beefalos in 2 days or winter is gonna be harsh.

Ponds can be a good source of food. Drop traps and kite the frogs into them and you get frog legs that can be cooked or turned into small jerky. The added bonus to frogs is that you get no negative modifier for killing them like you do rabbits and beefalo so no Krampus. I usually live off of frogs in the summer and rabbits in the winter and have no food issues or Krampus spawns. You can also fish the ponds when the frogs stop spawning. If you have a surplus of berries or carrots about to spoil you can let them spoil and turn into rot which is a substitute for manure for fertilization. Some maps you simply cant find a perfect roll of amenities so you have to make due. That is what I love about this game.

todahawk

A mod wrote this on the Don't starve forum

"The auto-save will happen whenever a world is created, a cave is entered, or entering into Maxwell's Door. It will not save the game every night to prevent people from simply closing their game when something bad happens. You have to select the "Save and Exit" game in the Pause Menu to save the game otherwise.

And yes, once you die in the game, it will automatically delete your save game as part of the "rogue-like" design of the game. Part of the game design is for the player to try to survive as many days as they can without dying. Allowing the player to simply load a saved game when they die would defeat the challenge. "

good to know, thanks. I played it on PC and it autosaved every day at about mid-day IIRC.

i was more concerned with losing all of that progress but understand the reasons.
edit; I was on day 45 but had taken a break at day 21 and saved & existed. so I lost 24 days of progress actually. bummed, i was kicking ass. but i'll honestly move forward a little different.

jf DOOM

Anyone using Wickerbottom. The fact that you can skip straight to the alchemy machine has helped me immensely in the beginning of a new game.

Top Bottom