• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

Great game, I think the challenge is awesome, but I think I'm going to play with some world modifiers going forward. Winter just feels way too long. I thought 21 days until winter would break down to something like 5 days spring/fall, and ten days summer, making winter 10 days as well. Turns out it must be longer since I'm about 33 days in and it's still winter. I'm surviving fine, but it feels like I'm just wasting time irl and want to get back to building and exploring.

Fewr

I can't get past 5:( Anybody have any tips for a noob?
A useful tip I saw in a video: craft an axe, get berries, drop them near a rabbit. Leave a bit of distance for the rabbit to take the bait, when it starts eating the berries slay it with the axe.

That way I have more food early in the game, and don't have to waste resources on traps that rabbits seem to pass by unharmed anyway.

MMaRsu

A mod wrote this on the Don't starve forum

"The auto-save will happen whenever a world is created, a cave is entered, or entering into Maxwell's Door. It will not save the game every night to prevent people from simply closing their game when something bad happens. You have to select the "Save and Exit" game in the Pause Menu to save the game otherwise.

And yes, once you die in the game, it will automatically delete your save game as part of the "rogue-like" design of the game. Part of the game design is for the player to try to survive as many days as they can without dying. Allowing the player to simply load a saved game when they die would defeat the challenge. "

Actually you CAN close the game and reload your save if you die on ps4 and it wont delete your save neither.

BibiMaghoo

Just died at day 73, ironically trying to get supplies for a meat effigy. Killed by a herd of beefalos. They swamped me and I couldn't move :(

It was actually my third death, but an amulet and touchstone saved me previous times. I had an amulet left, but didn't equip it in time. I don't think I have the energy to do that all over again.

Teletraan1

Banned
I am treating each one of these sessions in the same way I would a game of Civilization that I wouldn't save and go back cheese before it hits the fan. Both are time consuming but I am enjoying the experience every time because you are given so many options of how you can work the game systems that you can try so many different strategies based on what you are presented with because frankly some of the maps/your starting position on them/distance between supplies can be brutal. I really hope they have some more characters added to this game down the line as well. I am having fun playing around with the other characters and exploiting their strengths and mitigating their weakness and I have only scratched the surface really. This is the type of game that I could see myself coming back to all the time just like Civilization and playing a few sessions.

Kinan

Hmm, how do i summon Abigail when playing as Wendy? I dropped the flower on a floor and murdered a rabbit while standing on top of it but the ghost has not appeared. What am I doing wrong?

Jobbs

Banned
Anyone using Wickerbottom. The fact that you can skip straight to the alchemy machine has helped me immensely in the beginning of a new game.

You'd think so, but my last 3 games in a row I've started with endless gold supplies. The game I'm in now had so much gold that I had 30 gold before even finding beefalos and setting base camp, and at this point I was just walking passed the gold rock nodes. Strange how that works.

I haven't found hounds very threatening. I've been attacked several times and I'll just run and take them on. The first few times I had a log suit and spear but this last time two came at me and I just had an axe and was able to dispatch them without too much worry

skynidas

Banned
I haven't found hounds very threatening. I've been attacked several times and I'll just run and take them on. The first few times I had a log suit and spear but this last time two came at me and I just had an axe and was able to dispatch them without too much worry

When there's only two of them they are not a problem. Just wait until you get like 6 of them coming to you, the beefalos are probably going to be your only option.

Jobbs

Banned
Reporting on my newest run, this time as Wolfgang. The mission to survive a winter continues. There's no reason I can't; I just keep making really idiotic moves and throwing it all away.

1506024_688967724459253_1981370909_n.jpg

Getting ready for winter. This map gave me early gold but took forever to find the beefalos and rabbits.

1512838_688981554457870_1736202882_n.jpg

I didn't have to guess when winter was here. A fleet of penguins emerged suddenly out of the water and directly into my base. Where the proceeded to sleep. In my base.

996116_688982987791060_395638728_n.jpg

This was a close call. I realized I was overdue for the dreaded quadhound attack, and right on cue I see the warning messages about it. I rush to make some rope and make a logsuit and prepare for battle. No beefalos near enough to help me. I brawled it out and came out on top.

1512777_688987061123986_1437764454_n.jpg

There's a pig village just a ways down the road from my base with vast crops of berries and carrots. They don't seem to mind when I raid it and take dozens of food from them.

1536635_688988477790511_1607056738_n.jpg

Day 26 now, but this was my most recent screen cap. This is me standing in winter without a shirt on for some reason. Wolfgang is manly.

MNC

I love this game, but would have preferred a bit more structures. Can you have some kind of defenses for your base that can hurt enemies? I'm mostly scared of the hound attacks that multiply later on. I'm not saying turrets, but.....

What's the best way to grow berries? Dig up a berry Bush before picking the berries or after or does it not matter? Can you put manure on them to make them grow faster? If I get a farm going, what's the best thing to plant? Just the seeds right? They only give you one carrot per patch though :/

Jobbs

Banned
What's the best way to grow berries? Dig up a berry Bush before picking the berries or after or does it not matter? Can you put manure on them to make them grow faster? If I get a farm going, what's the best thing to plant? Just the seeds right? They only give you one carrot per patch though :/

farms give random vegetables, sometimes they're carrots, other times they're pumpkins or eggplants, which are considerably more filling.

guano can be used to make a bush that respawns berries. as far as I know, regular manure can't be used as fertilizer.

Rodelero

farms give random vegetables, sometimes they're carrots, other times they're pumpkins or eggplants, which are considerably more filling.

guano can be used to make a bush that respawns berries. as far as I know, regular manure can't be used as fertilizer.

You can use regular manure. I don't believe there is a good reason to use guano. Guano is more effective as a fertiliser for farms, so you should keep it for that purpose.

Berry bushes (and other plants) that you move (with a shovel) need to be fertilised (with manure/guano) before it will start to grow again. Fertilising it doesn't make it work faster, it makes it work full stop. It will have to be refertilised now and again from then. If you leave it in the ground, you don't need to refertilise.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm loving this game, but need some help.. Is there a good source of info out there like a tutorial ?

Pick up twigs and grass. You'll pretty much always need these. You'll want to pick up flint and twigs and make a pickaxe and an axe, so you can cut down some trees for logs and break rocks for stones and gold.

When it's dark, be ready to put a fire down. A regular campfire will do at first.

You generally want to locate beefalo and designate your home base to be somewhere near them. That's always my first order of business -- Try to find beefalo fields and start my base.

Why? For one thing, you need their poop to make farms. For another thing, they tend to be located in fields where there are also plentiful rabbit holes. Finally, beefalo can be used to help you survive hound attacks, and they themselves can be hunted if you need their body parts or meat.

You'll need lots of grass for a varietyt of reasons, but early on once you know about hwerey our base is gonna be, start putting out rabbit traps. You don't need any special tech to make them. They also don't need to be baited, so long as you placed them directly on top of the bunny holes. Put a trap down and go on your way. Come back later and get the bunnies. You want to have a lot of traps -- as many as you can. at least 5-10 or so, I'd think. Remember that you can click the touchpad in for the map and see where all your stuff and traps are.

Another early priority is to get some gold, so youc an make a science machine and an alchemy machine. The science machine is important for a number of reasons, and one of them is that you can make a backpack once you have it, which lets you carry more stuff.

You want to be farming lots of rabbits and as soon as you can start making jerky racks so you can turn their meat into jerky. The reason for this is that jerky takes a very very long time to rot so you can store it up and stockpile it for winter, when it's harder to find food.

I think that covers the basic beginner stuff.

MNC

I feel like the general mindset of people is wanting to work towards soms goal, which is weird. I have the same problem feeling like I'm missing something, yet i can just keep playing and keep loving the game. I want more drive to play after I unlock everything. I want to them to weekly generate a random seed, non default, and give the challenge to survive to day x. A bit like the daily challenge in spelunky. Are they still updating the game?

After discovering everything myself, I need to be told something to do. I'm kind of dumb like that. Luckily, I haven't even hit winter once!

Chinner

Banned
so ive got a little base set up and ive got 4 rabbit holes right next to me harvest - whats the next step i should do? do i need a cooking pot or whatever/

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Hmm, how do i summon Abigail when playing as Wendy? I dropped the flower on a floor and murdered a rabbit while standing on top of it but the ghost has not appeared. What am I doing wrong?

I always just go pick a fight with a spider or something. You don't need to be the one to get the kill, either. If you've got a pig village with nearby spider dens or something you can just drop the flower in the midst of a swirling pig versus spider melee and she'll pop out.

You can also find and kill a Lureplant to get a Lure Bulb. The bulb can be planted and immediately counts as an enemy, but it takes several days before it grows up and becomes dangerous. Just plant it and immediately kill it for an instant, completely safe, endlessly repeatable Abigail summon.

I love this game, but would have preferred a bit more structures. Can you have some kind of defenses for your base that can hurt enemies? I'm mostly scared of the hound attacks that multiply later on. I'm not saying turrets, but.....

There's a turret. It's super secret, though.

There are also the Tooth Traps and Bee Mines for defensive purposes. You need a way of funneling enemies into them. They're renewable resources, but you need to have already weathered a few waves of hounds before you'll be able to put their fangs to use in a sizable Tooth Trap defense.

SSM25

Pick up twigs and grass. You'll pretty much always need these. You'll want to pick up flint and twigs and make a pickaxe and an axe, so you can cut down some trees for logs and break rocks for stones and gold.

When it's dark, be ready to put a fire down. A regular campfire will do at first.

You generally want to locate beefalo and designate your home base to be somewhere near them. That's always my first order of business -- Try to find beefalo fields and start my base.

Why? For one thing, you need their poop to make farms. For another thing, they tend to be located in fields where there are also plentiful rabbit holes. Finally, beefalo can be used to help you survive hound attacks, and they themselves can be hunted if you need their body parts or meat.

You'll need lots of grass for a varietyt of reasons, but early on once you know about hwerey our base is gonna be, start putting out rabbit traps. You don't need any special tech to make them. They also don't need to be baited, so long as you placed them directly on top of the bunny holes. Put a trap down and go on your way. Come back later and get the bunnies. You want to have a lot of traps -- as many as you can. at least 5-10 or so, I'd think. Remember that you can click the touchpad in for the map and see where all your stuff and traps are.

Another early priority is to get some gold, so youc an make a science machine and an alchemy machine. The science machine is important for a number of reasons, and one of them is that you can make a backpack once you have it, which lets you carry more stuff.

You want to be farming lots of rabbits and as soon as you can start making jerky racks so you can turn their meat into jerky. The reason for this is that jerky takes a very very long time to rot so you can store it up and stockpile it for winter, when it's harder to find food.

I think that covers the basic beginner stuff.

Oh wow, thanks a lot

ixix

so ive got a little base set up and ive got 4 rabbit holes right next to me harvest - whats the next step i should do? do i need a cooking pot or whatever/

Easiest next step is to build a trap for each hole then build drying racks. Place the trap directly over the rabbit hole, harvest the traps and reset them once a day, then dispatch the bunnies and hang their meat on the racks to make delicious, nourishing, long-lasting jerky.

I feel like the general mindset of people is wanting to work towards soms goal, which is weird. I have the same problem feeling like I'm missing something, yet i can just keep playing and keep loving the game. I want more drive to play after I unlock everything. I want to them to weekly generate a random seed, non default, and give the challenge to survive to day x. A bit like the daily challenge in spelunky. Are they still updating the game?

After discovering everything myself, I need to be told something to do. I'm kind of dumb like that. Luckily, I haven't even hit winter once!

Last I saw they were finished with the cycle of free content updates and were working on more of a full-fledged expansion. The last content patch came out in October, so whatever they're working on should have a few months of development behind it by now. Don't think there've been any hints about when they might show it, though.

Anyone using Wickerbottom. The fact that you can skip straight to the alchemy machine has helped me immensely in the beginning of a new game.

I love her books, but I can't stand her insomnia. I can handle the sanity management without sleeping just fine, but I sleep a lot once once I'm at 100+ days just to advance the in-game clock without advancing too much real-world time. Can't do that as Wickerbottom, so I mostly avoid her.

Chinner

Banned
ah yeah i got traps setup, don't get that much health at the moment for just simple cooking of meat. so i need a drying rack? where abouts is that in the buiilding section?

Rodelero

It's hard to say exactly what you should do, because it depends heavily on the map and the day. 4 rabbit holes is okay, but probably not enough to truly sustain you.

Rabbits are quite high maintenance. It's one thing if you're actually there harvesting the rabbit holes yourself, but really you'll want to leave your base for significant proportions of each day. The best thing to do is to leave traps on top of the holes, which should guarantee you at least one rabbit per hole per day.

I wouldn't personally be satisfied with 4 rabbit holes. I tend to have 4-5 myself, but I'll then supplement it with some other food source. The easiest next option is probably to create yourself a berry bush farm. This is a multi step process. You'll need to build a shovel, which requires a science machine. You can then dig up berry bushes with the shovel, and plant them in your base. However, you'll need to fertilise them, which requires manure. Manure is easiest to get from:

1) Beefalo herds. These tend to live in the savannah areas.
2) Pigs. If you feed a pig, they will make manure for you. Don't give them meat, that will make them follow you around rather than making manure.

You could also make farms, which also require manure.

There are various other food sources, but these are the easiest. Another fairly easy option is fishing, if you have ponds nearby. You'd need a fishing rod of course.

Other early considerations:

You'll need gold. Gold can be found on the ground in graveyard areas, or as drop from boulders. 1 gold is necessary for a science machine, 6 more for the alchemy engine. You'll ideally want both prior to getting to winter (day 21-22) for various reasons.

Silk is another important resource to locate. Silk can be got from killing spiders - but this is a fairly dangerous activity so be very careful. Silk is needed for a lot of the items you'll want later on in the game. It's not an absolute necessity early on, but it makes things a lot easier if you can get your hands on a bit of it.

Defending yourself: Every week or so, you'll be attacked by hounds. They will kill you if you aren't prepared. I tend to make sure I have a spear and a log suit ready for this. Neither are difficult to make, but you won't want to be making them when the hounds are coming.

If you want to have a crack at surviving Winter, you'll want to have a really efficient supply of food. Unfortunately, some types of food supply don't work in Winter (vegetable growing for example). The best option in my opinion is to build drying racks, which you put morsels into. The jerky you make lasts ages, and helps with hunger, sanity, and health.

Early on, you probably won't have many sanity issues - but as you hit winter you almost certainly will. Low sanity is an absolute killer, so you'll need to find ways of boosting your sanity. The easiest way is 'dapper' clothing, or building straw rolls to sleep on during the night.

Carl

Was doing pretty well earlier and had a nice camp set up, then some fucking Tree Defender came after me and i couldn't burn the fecker down. Ended up dying to hi,

Rodelero

Was doing pretty well earlier and had a nice camp set up, then some fucking Tree Defender came after me and i couldn't burn the fecker down. Ended up dying to hi,

In future, if you get one, get it far away, and plant pine cones. Eventually it will be pacified.

My camp has a rabbit hole, three gardens, science and alchemy machines. I'm building block wells and have a good forrest going on. I've got a good location to any resource needed, two wormholes and a semi close cave. I've even found the house that starts adventure mode and the shrine for extra life close. It's the longest I've survived at 14 days and now I've got some
bulb that eats meat and devours all
that just popped up in my camp. What is this thing? Am I already dead?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So I'm just about on day 50, have 10-15 dry racks, 2 crockpots, 8 Bee boxes with a dedicated storage chest for my Honey, which I use to turn monster meat into edible food during the winter. My area is right on top of about 5 ponds which means tons of fish, tons of frog legs, etc.

I've finished building my camp up pretty damn well, have a rock well around the entire thing, 10-20 berry bushes, have moved a ton of sapplings and gras tuftss near by, and have a bird cage to turn monster meat into eggs. on top of all of this I'm right by a large herd of beefalo.

My question is... now what do I do now? What's the end game? It was fun surviving and building up the camp at first, but now there's really not much left to build or do...

Rodelero

My camp has a rabbit hole, three gardens, science and alchemy machines. I'm building block wells and have a good forrest going on. I've got a good location to any resource needed, two wormholes and a semi close cave. I've even found the house that starts adventure mode and the shrine for extra life close. It's the longest I've survived at 14 days and now I've got some
bulb that eats meat and devours all
that just popped up in my camp. What is this thing? Am I already dead?

Meatbulb? Kill it with fire.

AppleMIX

So I'm just about on day 50, have 10-15 dry racks, 2 crockpots, 8 Bee boxes with a dedicated storage chest for my Honey, which I use to turn monster meat into edible food during the winter. My area is right on top of about 5 ponds which means tons of fish, tons of frog legs, etc.

I've finished building my camp up pretty damn well, have a rock well around the entire thing, 10-20 berry bushes, have moved a ton of sapplings and gras tuftss near by, and have a bird cage to turn monster meat into eggs. on top of all of this I'm right by a large herd of beefalo.

My question is... now what do I do now? What's the end game? It was fun surviving and building up the camp at first, but now there's really not much left to build or do...

Start adventure mode.

Find Maxwell's door.

Day 61, a few days into my second winter and my second epic beard. Hounds show up just as night is about to fall. I dispatch three or four quickly but they chomp through my log armour rendering me defenseless. Health is a sliver with two more hounds baring down on me. We play cat and mouse while I find brief moments to put another log on the fire or eat some jerky. Finally just before dawn I manage to slay them.

admartian

Like, I want to ask questions about this game and look stuff up but I also don't.

This is exactly me right now.

Played the game yesterday. And it was good fun! and this is someone that hates the Souls series and generally put off by games with Rogue-like qualities.

Good fun. :)

Replicant

Meatbulb? Kill it with fire.

Are those the eye things? I saw them on my way to pick up my Rabbit traps and I didn't like the look of them so I set them on fire. They looked so much better in a blaze of fire before disappearing into thin air. :)

Also, I hate the hounds. There must be a good way to kill them without having to lure them into Beefalo or other animals.

Jachaos

Kept dying around day 5 but suddenly on this run I'm...

On to day 52 now. I have a pretty nice camp. In fact, my map seems perfect. I have two different herds of Beefalo a bit to the West and East and both have vast Savannah biomes with a lot of rabbits on my way there. Wood is plentiful and so are rocks just to the south. I've moved a lot of berry bushes to my camp, along with having 8 drying racks, a crockpot, many different machines and a few farms. I'm on to building stone walls around my camp now. A pig king is not far away, another pig camp is really close, spiders as well without being dangerous, really everything seems perfect.

First time playing this game, thanks to PS4 and PS+ :)

Really enjoying it so far, almost addicted :p

I am so glad that Sony is encouraging/enticing Indie Developers to the PS4 (and to an extent PS Vita), as, to be honest, I have totally ignored all the great titles available on PC :(

Jachaos

My camp, in pictures :

t7z5Ali.jpg

Forgot to mention there's a touchstone right up to the north of my camp, around a 10 seconds walk from it.

Bdz9sTjIMAAwRIp.jpg

Bdz9xsvIIAAKscG.jpg

Bdz92GoIQAAks4I.jpg

ixix

Is there any use for items like the fake teeth, ball and paddle, butterfly wings, etc.

Pig Kings love junk like the fake teeth and ball and paddle. If you give them one they'll hook you up with a fat stack of gold.

Butterfly Wings are a food item. They don't restore all that much Hunger, but they heal you. You can also cook them into muffins with a Crock Pot by mixing them with a vegetable and two units of anything that isn't meat. For maximum efficiency fill the final two cooking slots with twigs or berries.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
My camp, in pictures :

t7z5Ali.jpg

Forgot to mention there's a touchstone right up to the north of my camp, around a 10 seconds walk from it.

Bdz9sTjIMAAwRIp.jpg

Bdz9xsvIIAAKscG.jpg

Bdz92GoIQAAks4I.jpg

Yours is similar to mine, but it's a lot better organized. I wish you could move your stuff around that's already built without breaking it down.

Top Bottom