• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

Jobbs

Banned
I find woodchopping by far the most irritating part of the game.

I agree. Shoveling stumps gets a very fast and painless 1 wood, though, so carry a shovel around and take out the stumps all at once.

And btw,
There's an unlockable character who can cut down trees quicker.

Hanmik

I agree. Shoveling stumps gets a very fast and painless 1 wood, though, so carry a shovel around and take out the stumps all at once.

And btw,
There's an unlockable character who can cut down trees quicker.

I watched a guy that was past day 100 yesterday on my PS4. He turned into a Beaver.. he could just gnaw the trees.. he got LOTS of wood that way..

Tsundere

Banned
How do you survive long term in the game? I can survive pretty well until day 10-12, but then I find myself dying of starvation quicker and quicker.

Teletraan1

Banned
Made it past winter and to day 40. Furthest yet!

Here's my setup..

I like to plant lots and lots of saplings and bushes near my base. I love shoveling.

I've been exploring a lot more now that winter's over. I'm still trying to find some gears. Still no dice.

Incidentally, this map has given me an absurd amount of gold. Vein after vein after vein. I have been making gold tools for a while now, I have 46 gold stockpiled, and I know where more gold is if I need it. So strange.

Do you have a lightning rod? You are 1 unlucky lightning strike away from losing all that shrubbery. I tend to either get a lightning rod or just plant the bushes spaced out enough that they all dont catch fire if one does. With a heat rock you can do a pretty large circuit before it cools down.

McDutch

Banned
My wife and I are done with the game now after a 25 hour binge this weekend.

Could have played more if it wasn't for an unfortunate crash on the PS4.

After several trial runs, we finally managed to set up a solid camp

( Fire, tent, farms, 6 crockpots, 6 dry racks, 20 bunny traps, the whole works)

Dog attacks were no longer a problem, we would just kite them into the tentacle field and the penguins near our camp were under control as well.

Then, on day 34 on a frozen berry run, i set down a fire to heat my stone and i crash to the XMB. Last save was somehow day 4.

That's when we realized there is no reward to this game, which is really too bad, since the concept is fun.

BibiMaghoo

Dog attacks were no longer a problem, we would just kite them into the tentacle field and the penguins near our camp were under control as well.

Then, on day 34 on a frozen berry run, i set down a fire to heat my stone and i crash to the XMB. Last save was somehow day 4.

That's when we realized there is no reward to this game, which is really too bad, since the concept is fun.

Ideally, you will want to save and quit at various points in the game. If you do this, a crash / power cut / whatever will simply mean to start at the point you last saved and quit. If you do this once a week or so, then you can have no fear of a crash losing lots of progress. I think entering caves saves the game also.

From what I can tell, the 'reward' lies in adventure mode, rather than sandbox. That is the real single player, rather than the mode we start in. It's a strange way of doing it, but I can see why, as it is harder than sandbox mode.

McDutch

Banned
Ideally, you will want to save and quit at various points in the game. If you do this, a crash / power cut / whatever will simply mean to start at the point you last saved and quit. If you do this once a week or so, then you can have no fear of a crash losing lots of progress. I think entering caves saves the game also.

From what I can tell, the 'reward' lies in adventure mode, rather than sandbox. That is the real single player, rather than the mode we start in. It's a strange way of doing it, but I can see why, as it is harder than sandbox mode.

I was kinda thrown off by the "auto save feature" that it mentions in the first screen.
Didn't think it was only at the cave.

I might give it another run in the adventure mode, but a loss like that really killed it.
I would have been fine by just dying, since i had 2 resurrection pads ready.

BibiMaghoo

I was kinda thrown off by the "auto save feature" that it mentions in the first screen.
Didn't think it was only at the cave.

I might give it another run in the adventure mode, but a loss like that really killed it.
I would have been fine by just dying, since i had 2 resurrection pads ready.

The 'auto save' exists to delete your save game. There is no auto save in the sense of checkpoints, because when you die, only a few outcomes are possible:

1) You have no backup, game over, and your save (auto or not) is deleted from the system
2) You have a backup touchstone or meat effigy, in which case you will die and spawn at them
3) You have an amulet to save you, and respawn where you died.

So in each case, an auto save is not used to restore you, which is why it really only exists to let you carry on after quitting a session. Quit your sessions and reload, and the save will only be deleted if you die as in 1).

_hekk05

Banned
Survived my second winter.

The 3 treeguards are making short work of any hounds. Seriously its not even funny. Have 4 tentacle spikes stockpiled now, as well as plenty of beefalo wool, 20+ honey, lots of meat, and a chest full of rabbits, with more traps everywhere.

Didn't see deerclops or krampus so that's a plus. Have 40 wood stockpiled in chestus. Will fill him up with 180 wood by next winter, so I can hang out with the treeguards and not have to chop any trees.

Took out my second lvl 3 spider hive and got them eggs. Can plant next to my first hive for easy silk and monster meat farming now. Also got a second meatlure bulb in case fire hounds set my first one of fire.

Will be able to survive next winter easy as long as shit doesn't hit the fan.

Also, for the love of god I've explored almost everything and I still cant find maxwell's door. Gotta experiment jumping into wormholes soon.

Jobbs

Banned

Sorry to hear that. I read something about it only saving when you quit, so I have been sure to quit occasionally.

BTW, why six crockpots? everything I've ever cooked has been ready in a few seconds. Maybe the resulting food after cooking keeps infinitely before being harvested? Did I just answer my own question?

BRB, off to make more crockpots.

BibiMaghoo

Sorry to hear that. I read something about it only saving when you quit, so I have been sure to quit occasionally.

BTW, why six crockpots? everything I've ever cooked has been ready in a few seconds. Maybe the resulting food after cooking keeps infinitely before being harvested? Did I just answer my own question?

BRB, off to make more crockpots.

As you said.

_hekk05

Banned
As you said.

Never needed a second crockpot in base. I almost always cook and eat immediately before night time hits, with another dish cooked after that for morning, for full hunger.

Now crockpots with meat stew in them at touch stones. That's a good use of charcoal.

I also have fire pits along major roads quite a ways off my base, along with a crockpot and a chest full of wood, in case I explore too far and get stranded

Seriously what kind of food do you guys cook in the crockpot to need so many of them to heal hunger?

BibiMaghoo

Never needed a second crockpot in base. I almost always cook and eat immediately before night time hits, with another dish cooked after that for morning, for full hunger.

Now crockpots with meat stew in them at touch stones. That's a good use of charcoal.

I also have fire pits along major roads quite a ways off my base, along with a crockpot and a chest full of wood, in case I explore too far and get stranded

Seriously what kind of food do you guys cook in the crockpot to need so many of them to heal hunger?

They are good to have, because you can throw crap in it and get a good meal out, for example you can use 1 monster meat and anything else, to get a good, healing meal from them. As they keep, you can just fill them up with damaging crap like mushrooms you wouldn't otherwise eat, with a bit of jerky or something in there, then use as needed. Crockpots and drying racks with a few traps can see you live indefinitely.

Placing firepits at different travel points is the way to go, and how I have played in my current game. When winter comes, it is priceless to have.

AndyD

aka andydumi
A mod wrote this on the Don't starve forum

"The auto-save will happen whenever a world is created, a cave is entered, or entering into Maxwell's Door. It will not save the game every night to prevent people from simply closing their game when something bad happens. You have to select the "Save and Exit" game in the Pause Menu to save the game otherwise.

And yes, once you die in the game, it will automatically delete your save game as part of the "rogue-like" design of the game. Part of the game design is for the player to try to survive as many days as they can without dying. Allowing the player to simply load a saved game when they die would defeat the challenge. "

I am enjoying this, but I want to experiment more. I wish they would allow a save load mode where you just don't earn experience anymore upon death. Like a playground type mode as other games have.

_hekk05

Banned
They are good to have, because you can throw crap in it and get a good meal out, for example you can use 1 monster meat and anything else, to get a good, healing meal from them. As they keep, you can just fill them up with damaging crap like mushrooms you wouldn't otherwise eat, with a bit of jerky or something in there, then use as needed. Crockpots and drying racks with a few traps can see you live indefinitely.

Placing firepits at different travel points is the way to go, and how I have played in my current game. When winter comes, it is priceless to have.

You do know that before you cook, whatever you put in a crockpot still spoils right? Icebox is the way to go.

Seriously don't bother with making meatballs. They're only good for hunger. If you want to heal, honey nuggets (honey, 0.5 meat), honey ham (honey, 2 meat) or bacon and eggs (2 eggs, 1.5 meat) are the way to go if you don't have access to farms.

W Hudson

Day 72 here. I'm to the point where I've got a great camp setup going and could probably live for a real long time not venturing out and playing it safe, but that gets kind of boring after a while. I recently went on a four day trek in the dead of winter knowing I had a touchstone active. On day 3 in the dead of night got attacked by a group of six hounds, killed all but one before they put me down. It was all I could do to get back to my backpack before I froze. Little reckless but otherwise it was getting a little stale sitting around camp checking my traps and cooking all day.

ACX

Neo Member
Comes out the end of Beefalo, wherever they roam, usually on grassy plains alongside rabbits, is where you'll find manure.

There's some herd animals knocking about (like cows but not cows), you can just pick up their manure.

Like others said, Beefalo's. You can also feed pigs and they will produce a nice steaming pile for you; I find petals are a great use for this.

Thanks

genbatzu

i'm near day 140 now with Wilson (still my 2nd game), explored 1 cave a lot and what it seems like 80% of my worldmap, north, east, south east, west and south all are "end of world" with water, only way remaining is through a swamp.

but I discovered all I need: chester, all 4 things and the wooden thing to place them on, the adventure shrine, 3 cave entries, lots and lots of spiders and pigs, 3 alraunes, unlimited amount of Dragon Fruit for Health Recovery, thanks to a bird cage, etc.

from my lat trip to the cave i brought back 2 rabbits and a rocklobster (best. friend. ever! except the one time where he killed me ._.)

allready destroyed 1 respawn-point and 3 meet effgies.

thanks to the wormhole I don't have to go through an area with 30(!) Killerbee nests, but on the other hand this is an awesome area when the dogs arrive. I think currently I have to deal with ~12-15 dogs and they really spawn all 3 days -.-

here is a little video i made
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcdzz-mCS_s
It's winter and the dogs attack in the night (worst combination ever...) the poor smallbird turned against me when we fought against a meat plant, I hope he can survive in the wild, I liked him q_q

Currently I'm spamming my accomplishrine, after I crafted my marble armor and dark sword I was able to kill all guardians near the wooden thing and they drop really good gears, which I needed for it. Planted 3 Meat Plants on their respawn, that should teach them, ha!

When I'm done with accomplishrine I most likely will challenge the adventure mode, or go back in the Cave to get more RockLobsters, crafted 10 Miner Hats for that.

Paskil

Made it to day 61 and was mercilessly slaughted by a group tentacles when I lost focus for a moment hunting for papyrus for bandages. Was so angry. :(

I had a pretty good setup with a huge farm of twigs and a nice forced entry full of tooth traps. I also had a really decent honey operation going and was considering going underground and exploring. Had the whole map discovered and had just farmed out a chess biome to make a marble suit to go out slaughtering the weak and defenseless.

I'm really getting a lot of mileage out of this game as this was my second session going past 40 days. I feel like I will probably burn out on it pretty quick though since with my MMO history, I tend to min/max immediately and don't really focus on variation so much as finding the most efficient path and never straying from it.

BibiMaghoo

You do know that before you cook, whatever you put in a crockpot still spoils right? Icebox is the way to go.

Seriously don't bother with making meatballs. They're only good for hunger. If you want to heal, honey nuggets (honey, 0.5 meat), honey ham (honey, 2 meat) or bacon and eggs (2 eggs, 1.5 meat) are the way to go if you don't have access to farms.

Yeah, I know you need the four things to cook or it will spoil, but usually that's easy to find with gash shrooms, berrys and monster meat. I don't put anything in them unless I can fill it to cook.

Meatballs are worse than the honey ham etc, but far, far easier to make in a pinch. Honey is troublesome to attain, needing the bee keeper hat and a log suit to stand a chance at farming them. This also requires spider webs to make the hat, so it's a fairly complex route to take for me. Icebox again requires gears, which I have yet to encounter in any of my games. Never seen them.

Ostinatto

don't you guys hate when you don't have any empty space in your bag, and you have to cook, but you are to lazy to drop something to make space, and you cook anyway, and the food falls into the campfire, and you die cuz you were too close to the campfire ( i didn't have too much health cuz of the fucking spiders)?.

yep, i'm so mad..... day 38.....

genbatzu

Yeah, I know you need the four things to cook or it will spoil, but usually that's easy to find with gash shrooms, berrys and monster meat. I don't put anything in them unless I can fill it to cook.

Meatballs are worse than the honey ham etc, but far, far easier to make in a pinch. Honey is troublesome to attain, needing the bee keeper hat and a log suit to stand a chance at farming them. This also requires spider webs to make the hat, so it's a fairly complex route to take for me. Icebox again requires gears, which I have yet to encounter in any of my games. Never seen them.

I found my first 2 gears in graves, just dig them out. the other stuff you find you can trade in at the boss pig for gold nuggets, keep the gems for magic crafting or upgrading chester to a fridge-chester

_hekk05

Banned

Nah. If you can make meatballs, you can make pierogi or bacon and eggs, with a farm or a bird cage. Also, just make bee boxes and collect their honey. Just harvest and run. They give up very fast.

Gears are pretty easy to get. Just farm up a bunch of hunger items, go dig up graves, then run back, sleep, and heal up hunger. Alternatively, find the chess biome, poke the clockwork rook and get it to destroy all the other clockworks.

Spiders are also really easy to kill and monster meat and spider glands are also useful. You just need to explore more before the first winter.

sangreal

Nah. If you can make meatballs, you can make pierogi or bacon and eggs, with a farm or a bird cage.

This is not necessarily true. Meatballs require 0.5 meat (eg a morsel) while bacon and eggs requires 2 eggs and 1.5 meat (3 morsels, or 1 large meat + 1 morsel). So if you have 4 morsels and 2 (normal) eggs, you can make meatballs, but not bacon and eggs

Kinan

I found my first 2 gears in graves, just dig them out. the other stuff you find you can trade in at the boss pig for gold nuggets, keep the gems for magic crafting or upgrading chester to a fridge-chester

watwatwat? you can do that? amazing. :)

I always just go pick a fight with a spider or something. You don't need to be the one to get the kill, either. If you've got a pig village with nearby spider dens or something you can just drop the flower in the midst of a swirling pig versus spider melee and she'll pop out.

You can also find and kill a Lureplant to get a Lure Bulb. The bulb can be planted and immediately counts as an enemy, but it takes several days before it grows up and becomes dangerous. Just plant it and immediately kill it for an instant, completely safe, endlessly repeatable Abigail summon.

thanks for info, will try that today. Was already worrying about inevitable Krampus visits if I need to murder rabbits for every summon.

genbatzu

I use meatballs for hunger issues and dragonpie for health, It regenerates 40 Health and 70 Hunger

for infinite dragon fruits build a bird cage, place a bird in it and feed it with a dragon fruit. It will then "drop" 1 or 2 dragon fruit seeds. so in the worst case you get +-0 dragonfruits. rinse repeat for affordable HP Regen Food.

Meatballs are very easy to get, just burn down a forest with a lot of spider nests (preferrable tier 3 spider nests) and collect monster meat, add 3 random vegetables (no honey!), preferrable berries and enjoy your meal.

todahawk

Werepigs show up if they're stuck outside during a full moon (Pig behaviour is traditionally to run to their houses once dusk sets in, but sometimes they'll get stuck outside or it'll roll for them to stay outside if they're too far off-screen, I think).

I wish you could build those ever-lasting pig torches.

you can force pigs to change early by feeding them 4 monster meats. werepigs always give 1 pigskin and 2 meat

i wonder if you can kill off those pigs and take over that little spot of land? permanent torches would be kick ass but i'm guessing they respawn. worth a try though.

BibiMaghoo

Nah. If you can make meatballs, you can make pierogi or bacon and eggs, with a farm or a bird cage. Also, just make bee boxes and collect their honey. Just harvest and run. They give up very fast.

Gears are pretty easy to get. Just farm up a bunch of hunger items, go dig up graves, then run back, sleep, and heal up hunger. Alternatively, find the chess biome, poke the clockwork rook and get it to destroy all the other clockworks.

Spiders are also really easy to kill and monster meat and spider glands are also useful. You just need to explore more before the first winter.

I got a single bee box, but it was some work. Thing about the game is so much changes dependent on the map generated, and your starting position. My last game I simply could not find any spiders lol, even though they must be around.

As said above, I need to check graves as I keep forgetting, I have never seen a chess biome.

I use meatballs for hunger issues and dragonpie for health, It regenerates 40 Health and 70 Hunger

for infinite dragon fruits build a bird cage, place a bird in it and feed it with a dragon fruit. It will then "drop" 1 or 2 dragon fruit seeds. so in the worst case you get +-0 dragonfruits. rinse repeat for affordable HP Regen Food.

Meatballs are very easy to get, just burn down a forest with a lot of spider nests (preferrable tier 3 spider nests) and collect monster meat, add 3 random vegetables (no honey!), preferrable berries and enjoy your meal.

How do you get your bird to lay eggs? I'm sure I read this could be done.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Can I ''safe'' kill beefalo's?

yes, get the wood armor and a spear (or better a tentacle spike thing). Find one on its own,hit it. run, it will chase you and take a swing that should miss. then turn around and hit it again. then run again. continue until dead.

_hekk05

Banned
Thisis not necessarily true. Meatballs require 0.5 meat (eg a morsel) while bacon and eggs requires 2 eggs and 1.5 meat (3 morsels, or 1 large meat + 1 morsel). So if you have 4 morsels and 2 (normal) eggs, you can make meatballs, but not bacon and eggs

At that point you might as well just put in 1 morsel, 1 egg, 1 veg/shroom, 1 anything except sticks and make pierogi. You should be flexible with your ingredients.

Feed it, cooked, uncooked or dried, morsel, meat, turkey leg, fish, frog legs, eel etc to get 1 egg. You can also feed it cooked / dried monster meat or cooked eggs to get raw eggs back.

About spiders: you need to be patient. Pick one nest and never farm any spiders from it. Wait til it reaches level 3, then destroy the hive to get 1 set of spider eggs. You can then plant the eggs wherever you wish for a level 1 nest. Its what i'm doing now in my playthrough.

genbatzu

Meat or fried egg + Bird (in Birdcage) = Egg

Vegetables + Bird (in Birdcage) = 1-2 specific vegetable seed (e.g. Dragonfruit seed) + 0-1 normal seeds

Honey + Bird (in Birdcage) = I don't know ~

Yep I crashed and lost a ton of time too. I've learned the game hardly ever auto saves unless you die or something. I save and quit every now and then and go back in just to make sure it's saving

Number45

Yep I crashed and lost a ton of time too. I've learned the game hardly ever auto saves unless you die or something. I save and quit every now and then and go back in just to make sure it's saving
From a few pages back:

A mod wrote this on the Don't starve forum

"The auto-save will happen whenever a world is created, a cave is entered, or entering into Maxwell's Door. It will not save the game every night to prevent people from simply closing their game when something bad happens. You have to select the "Save and Exit" game in the Pause Menu to save the game otherwise.

And yes, once you die in the game, it will automatically delete your save game as part of the "rogue-like" design of the game. Part of the game design is for the player to try to survive as many days as they can without dying. Allowing the player to simply load a saved game when they die would defeat the challenge. "

This game basically has zero accessibility. Is the only way to learn how to play is through trail and error?

Makes Dark Souls look like childs play

Gaz_RB

This game basically has zero accessibility. Is the only way to learn how to play is through trail and error?

Makes Dark Souls look like childs play

It's kind of the fun of the game. If I didn't learn everything through trial and error then it wouldn't be nearly as fun for me. Though the wiki is very well developed and useful.

Top Bottom