• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

_hekk05

Banned
they are called Spider Warriors and are Yellow. They spawn in Lvl2 Spider Nests, don't mess with them ^^

Here's a tip for you guys. Spider warriors only spawn naturally at dusk or at night. At any time, if a spider is attacked in range of the nest, a spider warrior can spawn out of lvl 2 nests and above. Outside of range, no new spiders will spawn from the nest, but all nearby spiders will aggro you if you attack. At dusk, there's a chance that a warrior spider will naturally spawn out and aggro you if you are attacking a spider.

To avoid them in the day, approach the nest and lure spiders maybe half a screen away from the nest before attacking. Kill these spiders, then rinse and repeat. Its possible to do this 3 times for any level of nest to deplete all spiders from the nest. Then you can go ahead and kill the nest if you want to do so.

Bear in mind there's a chance that a spider warrior spawns when you are in the process of killing the nest, if you take too long and the nest generates 1 more spider.

Game crashed yesterday. Lost my progress for that save, only 2 hours though. Still I might wait for a patch because losing a day 50+ save would really suck.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Quick noob question.
When I die what option should I choose? Does it matter?

Retrying just makes a new world with the same parameters as the old one and starts you fresh as the same character. If you want to change characters or world generation settings quit to the main menu.

Damnit, i've lost abigail's flower (or maybe just abigail). Can't even find it on the map... any tips?

If she's alive (uh, in a manner of speaking) she'll catch up to you eventually. If she's not, her flower should be displayed on the map where she died. If she's dead and you can't see it anywhere you might've stumbled upon the worst possible Abigail situation: getting her killed in unexplored territory.

If you get ahead of her by running on a road or whatever she'll take the most direct route possible to rejoin you. Depending on how the road runs this may mean she'll cut through territory you haven't revealed on the map. Abigail doesn't reveal the map when she passes through it, so if she's in the fog of war on the map and gets ganked by some tentacles or tallbirds or something her flower will fall where you can't see it.

If she's dead and her flower's nowhere to be found, try to recall where you saw her last and start exploring around the area. Roads running through swamps and tallbird-infested areas are the most likely culprits for Sudden Secret Abigail Death.

Jintor

If she's alive (uh, in a manner of speaking) she'll catch up to you eventually. If she's not, her flower should be displayed on the map where she died. If she's dead and you can't see it anywhere you might've stumbled upon the worst possible Abigail situation: getting her killed in unexplored territory.

If you get ahead of her by running on a road or whatever she'll take the most direct route possible to rejoin you. Depending on how the road runs this may mean she'll cut through territory you haven't revealed on the map. Abigail doesn't reveal the map when she passes through it, so if she's in the fog of war on the map and gets ganked by some tentacles or tallbirds or something her flower will fall where you can't see it.

If she's dead and her flower's nowhere to be found, try to recall where you saw her last and start exploring around the area. Roads running through swamps and tallbird-infested areas are the most likely culprits for Sudden Secret Abigail Death.

Thanks for the tips! But I ended up quitting the game to go eat dinner and when I reloaded she popped up straight away. She had been missing for like two in-game days so I assume she got trapped against geometry or something.

You might want to avoid using Wolfgang for a while. He loses Hunger and Sanity faster than other characters, and if you're not able to keep him full he does less damage in combat to boot.

Ok so can I keep using Wilson or is Willow that much better? Her eyes bug me

Jintor

Holy shit I whacked a beehive in the middle of the day assuming all the bees were out. 5 killer bees spawned and GANKED me. Good thing I had a touchstone active.

Cyborg

Damn it, damn it!
I like this fcking game but I cant seem to do it right. Im not able to build a camp with great things :(

I hate it......I wanna play it but Im just bad in this game :(

ixix

Thanks for the tips! But I ended up quitting the game to go eat dinner and when I reloaded she popped up straight away. She had been missing for like two in-game days so I assume she got trapped against geometry or something.

In that case she might've gotten stranded over the ocean, which happens sometimes for reasons I don't entirely comprehend.

I like to think that it's because Abigail decides she's sick and tired of doing all the dangerous work while Wendy takes all the credit so she decides to go all Ferdinand Magellan and hare off across the deep blue sea to find glory and riches.

Ok so can I keep using Wilson or is Willow that much better? Her eyes bug me

Well, Wilson's got a beard whereas Willow's got a lighter and a bout of the ol' pyromania. Practically speaking that gives Willow an infinite-use Torch and significantly easier Sanity management, whereas Wilson has built-in insulation during the winter and trivially easy access to Beard Hair.

The best solution? Rack up a bit more experience to unlock Wendy. Wendy rulez. She's also got crazy pupil-less eyes like Willow. You'll learn to love 'em, though. Trust me.

Ok, day 57 and I should be completely self sustainable indefinitely. My base is fitted with all the necessary resources; berry bushes, trees, saplings, grass, rabbit holes, crockpot, drying rack, nearby bees and beefalo herds, lightning rods, etc. The only thing that's posing a threat now is Hound attacks and those eye plants. It's gonna be hard to come back from this if something does go wrong...

_hekk05

Banned
Ok, day 57 and I should be completely self sustainable indefinitely. My base is fitted with all the necessary resources; berry bushes, trees, saplings, grass, rabbit holes, crockpot, drying rack, nearby bees and beefalo herds, lightning rods, etc. The only thing that's posing a threat now is Hound attacks and those eye plants. It's gonna be hard to come back from this if something does go wrong...

If you kill the meatlure you get the bulb. Once you get the bulb, plant down some wooden flooring somewhere near your base and put the meatlure there. Eyeplants don't spawn on wooden flooring, so you can run through it when the hounds come. The eyeplants should make short work of the hounds. Also, if the fire hounds die, the eyeplants catch fire, creating its own killbox.

If you kill the meatlure you get the bulb. Once you get the bulb, plant down some wooden flooring somewhere near your base and put the meatlure there. Eyeplants don't spawn on wooden flooring, so you can run through it when the hounds come. The eyeplants should make short work of the hounds. Also, if the fire hounds die, the eyeplants catch fire, creating its own killbox.

Good idea, thanks! I really need to work on fire proofing my base now, I've been too careless with the layout. Although I have multiple lightning rods other acts of God could still ruin my camp, like a firey beefalo - unless I quit the game and reload.

_hekk05

Banned
So apparently the wiki says if you got through the dimension door built with the wooden thing, you keep all resources on you, except the divining rod and chester's eyebone. Also, you retain knowledge of all crafted materials, gain exp for survived days, and can choose a new character.

Wow. Totally gonna play as the robot and eat gears to gain stats.

Edit: Holy crap. Wex is awesome. First day in lightning struck me and i moved super fast. Coupled with a walking cane and cobblestone roads, I moved extremely fast. Explored practically all roads in 1 day. Plus, since I emit light, didn't even have to stop moving. When i ate a gear, it healed hunger, health as well as sanity. So far I have eaten 3 gears and have 160 of each stat now.

Only downside is that I am located pretty far away from rabbit holes and I cant find any reeds, so no birdcage yet.

Got to day 50 while playing on Vita then my Vita died and so I was caught out in the dark and died. Anyway out of frustration I quit my game by closing the application and when I reloaded I was back at my original save point before dying.

Maybe an exploit to get around restarting from day one.

Jintor

Up to day 30 with Wendy, barely survived winter. Have discovered that walls won't be built next to water and so don't block it, so now the shoreline is my chokepoints. Nearly got ganked again by night hounds, but the clock ticked over into daytime and I led them to a pig village (which I had stuffed a spider nest in the middle of) so there was a big three-way battle which the pigs won handily. I ran around the webbing in circles darting in to steal monster meat to stop werepigs spawning though.

You guys are amazing the longest I can last is day 7 after dying 5 or 6 times.

I get my science machine in the first day make a chest and trap a crap ton of rabbits to store up on food before venturing out but still can't survive

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You guys are amazing the longest I can last is day 7 after dying 5 or 6 times.

I get my science machine in the first day make a chest and trap a crap ton of rabbits to store up on food before venturing out but still can't survive
What's killing you? Sounds to me like you've got plenty of food and storage.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I ate way too much monster meat last time and started seeing some strange stuff
:lol yeah, the monster stuff can be tempting to eat but always be alert of your sanity! A tent solved your sanity-issues.

Yoshichan

Seems like sanity. Also living solely on rabbits is dangerous. Krampus will probably come for you and take all our stuff.
Krampus? Is that some sort of Rabbit King?

_hekk05

Banned
Krampus? Is that some sort of Rabbit King?

Its a dood with a sack. It comes when you're too naughty and steals stuff from you. From the ground, from chests, from iceboxes, anything not nailed to the floor.

When you kill an innocent creature, you raise your naughtiness. If you stop doing naughty things, it decreases at a fixed rate. A rabbit is +1 naughtiness. Some others give up to +6.

Some people get Krampus to spawn on purpose. If you kill it without using fire, it has a chance to drop Krampus' sack, which holds items like a backpack, but with increased slots and does not lower walking speed.

Best ways to kill it is to put down a decoy chest, preferably with traps around it, and kill it while its stealing stuff.

Yoshichan

Wow. This game is absolute genius. How much naughtyness points is required to spawn him? How much do you get for killing a turkey? How fast does it decrease if you're not doing any killing or stealing? -1 every day?

Well I made it to day 12 on my first playthrough. Barely survived the first night but thankfully I made a torch just in time haha. Only other close call was when hounds attacked but I managed to kill them. I went exploring and found a tunnel leading to underground... I went there, killed some bats and then some giant spiky worm ate me. Fun game, definitely gonna play more soon.

I found a Huge Rock that was covering a sinkhole last night, I cleared the rock and went into the sinkhole out of terrified excitement. However, I forgot to take any food and was nearly starved to death, got down there, and starved and died. I didn't know those underground layers existed, so that is pretty exciting when I find one in the future to explore.

Also, the wormholes. I know they take you to another area. Can someone explain more about them? I see them almost every game, but I have never been down one. Do they take you to some alternative dimension? Or do they take you to another random place across the map?

Also, the wormholes. I know they take you to another area. Can someone explain more about them? I see them almost every game, but I have never been down one. Do they take you to some alternative dimension? Or do they take you to another random place across the map?

Another spot on the map (which you can return from using the wormhole) at the cost of sanity.

_hekk05

Banned
Wow. This game is absolute genius. How much naughtyness points is required to spawn him? How much do you get for killing a turkey? How fast does it decrease if you're not doing any killing or stealing? -1 every day?

Its -1 per min. Strangely enough, turky doesn't give you naughtiness. Highest is baby beefalo and smallbird at +6, beefalos at +4 and pigs at +3. Werepigs don't count.

To spawn him, you need naughtiness of between 31-50. Its random.

Yoshichan

Its -1 per min. Strangely enough, turky doesn't give you naughtiness. Highest is baby beefalo and smallbird at +6, beefalos at +4 and pigs at +3. Werepigs don't count.

To spawn him, you need naughtiness of between 31-50. Its random.
Thanks for the great info man!

AndyD

aka andydumi
Huh, in my wondering last night I found a pre-made mini-camp. Few farms, some plants, sticks, grass rocks and nearby some beefalos. Not a bad place to lay down a camp.

Huh, in my wondering last night I found a pre-made mini-camp. Few farms, some plants, sticks, grass rocks and nearby some beefalos. Not a bad place to lay down a camp.

I did that last night, it was in the middle of a very large water locked Savannah biome. Turns out it probably wasn't the best idea. I don't think the handful of free gardens was worth the walk I have to find any other supplies. Wood, berries, saplings and honey are a half day walk (round trip). I'm debating on starting over or trying to terraform my little corner of the world.

rafaelr

i´m not sure i completely understand the lureplant stuff.
so i kill one and get the bulb.
if i plant it on grass/earth it will spawn eyeplants around it, that will attack me (even if i planted the thing, or if i´m unarmed)?
if i plant it on wooden floors or stone, the eyeplants don´t spawn? then how can they damage the hounds when i´m running through?

it sounds intriguing as a base defense, but i want to understand them before i get myself killed.

same thing with a treeguard (i had one close to my base but game crashed before anything attacked), does it attack hounds etc. on its own?

Teletraan1

Banned
For a wintertime Beefalo defense in the middle of the night all you need is grass and logs. Even in the absolute latest stages of the game you've got a minimum of 30 seconds between your character issuing the first warning and the actual arrival of the hounds.

When the warning is issued run to the Beefalo herd and build a campfire. Fuel the campfire with logs until it's burning at full capacity, then wait for the attack. Being within the light of the fire is all you need to stay warm. When the hounds arrive either hide in a Bush Hat or just run in circles within the light of the fire until they aggro the Beefalo.

Voila. A successful hound defense under trying conditions using simple tools and your friendly neighborhood Beefalo.

Or just build an efficient trap funnel and literally just stand there by your fire or twiddle your thumbs. I have had 9 hounds never even get close to me with a properly defended fort. When you get a boss type monster I can see running them into other things since they take so many hits to die and can destroy structures but hounds not so much.

.GqueB.

Banned
you don't really need a wall, maybe in the second summer when you've got loads of resources I guess and you can start making tooth traps for more dogs that come etc. But you can make it 50 days without a single wall no problem. they're expensive and a waste of resources.

great base
fire, tent, crockpot, meat dryers (I think the pigs rob these), science/alchemy and then farms. farms would go outside the wall if you make a wall though. so would bee boxes. you really really want beeboxes near the base. at least one and a lot of flowers semi near it but not right next to.

O_O Damn this game sounds intense (first time reading this thread). I barely made it three days last I played. How big is the world exactly?

Teletraan1

Banned
Seems like sanity. Also living solely on rabbits is dangerous. Krampus will probably come for you and take all our stuff.

I have lived off of frogs in the summer and rabbits in the winter. Frogs give you zero naughtiness. I had no beefalo on this particular map that I could find based on my starting location. I think there is some sort of bug with the way the world is generated where you get a lot of these small patchwork areas that are too small to have what they should on them.

-PXG-

I think I should start out with longer days. I'm on like day 13 with barely any rocks or gold :/ At this rate, I'll never survive winter

This game is brutally unforgiving. No hand holding, no bullshit. It's masochistic and I love it.

JLeack

Banned
While I enjoyed this game at first, the lack of reward and/or multiplayer did me in. It needed more development time IMO.

smoothj

I love this game, I've only made it to day 6.

One thing I would change is the font. I have a 46" and a 60" and it' still hard to read. I think it's too skinny. That or I'm getting old lol.

computer-granny-meme-template-150x150.jpg

Teletraan1

Banned
While I enjoyed this game at first, the lack of reward and/or multiplayer did me in. It needed more development time IMO.

You are lucky then that 95% of the other games released are Skinner Box MP games so you wont have to look far to get what you are looking for.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
O_O Damn this game sounds intense (first time reading this thread). I barely made it three days last I played. How big is the world exactly?
Huge.

I don't make a base until I've chased all the edges, you can live off berries/small fires til then and you'll quite often find some 'things' maybe the door as well.

This game is fantastic. It's the Demon's Souls of Roguelikes for me.

A tittle that I won't actually had give a chance if it wasn't for PS+ ( another one )

More of this quality indie games please.

ixix

Or just build an efficient trap funnel and literally just stand there by your fire or twiddle your thumbs. I have had 9 hounds never even get close to me with a properly defended fort. When you get a boss type monster I can see running them into other things since they take so many hits to die and can destroy structures but hounds not so much.

The whole point of the Beefalo defense is that it's a safe and reliable way of dealing with Hounds that requires an absolutely trivial expenditure of time and resources to prepare. It doesn't even require that you have a Fire Pit, let alone a base that you've constructed choke points in. You can use it against the first attack just as well as you can use it against the fiftieth.

And you can shave the Beefalo while waiting for the attack to arrive, which is funny.

Anyone know if the developers are planning any sequels/expansions?

They haven't announced anything, but they've insinuated that they're working on some sort of paid expansion for the game.

The end of Adventure Mode also hints heavily at an expansion/sequel. Actually it kind of more than hints.

Same here. She really never plays anything. But she's hooked on that game and plays it non-stop or she asks me to play so she can watch.

She even uses our Vita to play it via Remote Play in bed before we go to sleep! I love watching her play this game, it's a really interesting game to watch someone play who is good at it.

JJD

Finally have managed to build a big base! I think now I'll have what it takes to break the 100 days barrier and I'm only on day 28!

I have 6 chests, 2 crock pots (I will probably make at least another 2), 6 drying racks, 4 improved farms (need at least more 2), 3 bee boxes with a lot of flowers around (I have a never ending supply of honey), 4 ice boxes.

My base and the honey farm are completely walled. The base have 3 exit points (need to get some tooth traps on the exits). Outside of the main base I have a huge farm o supplies. 40 berry bushes, 40 grass tufts, 40 saplings and a fucktoon of evergreens for logs or charcoal.

The whole base and the farms are protected by lightening rods.

I already have 2 spider queen eggs to start a silk farm but I'll do that later, I have lots of silk.

Less than a minute walk north of my base there's 2 big beefalo herds, south a lot of bunnie holes and just on the entrance of my base I have a touch stone, with another touch stone a short 2 or 3 minutes walk to the south.

I have been incredibly lucky with this map. Got 4 gears on a cemetery up in the north and a life giving amulet. I have 3 lives right now if I fuck things up but I have been really cautious this time. I have already found 3 pieces of the wooden thing.

Next step is to get 3 or 4 birdcages going for the gold (still haven't found the pig king). I have all the supplies I need except the papyrus.

My main problem in this play through is that I have yet to find a marsh and reeds. I think I'll explore more, reeds are the only supply I don't have in abundance and I need the papyrus for the birdcages and honey poultices.

If I had a marsh and reeds less than a day walk from my base this map and my base would be perfect.

Top Bottom