• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

Replicant

How exactly do I plant pine cone? Basic farm + walk over it and seed it?

You don't plant pine on basic farm. You plant it on normal ground. Equip your shovel then hover on pine cone and select place. If the area is suitable, the game will come up with a "Plant" and "Cancel" prompts. Choose "Plant".

MMaRsu

Died on Day 24, during my first winter. Had a good run, and survived the first winter hound attack easily. My problem: sanity. Willow's low sanity killed me. Unlocked Wendy and the robot. Wondering who to use next.

My base as I prepared for winter:
DadsbQ9.jpg

Winter sets in (so gorgeous):
rWXSKVP.jpg

Bonus pic of Willow getting angry in the Pig King's forest:
oZ97qGV.jpg

Wendy is the best bro :)

Ostinatto

With more frequency, in greater numbers, and with less time between when your character issues the warning and when they arrive.

You'll always have at least 30 seconds between warning and arrival though, if that makes you feel any better.

You can't take the eye bone, no. If you're in survival mode just take whatever along with you. You're headed to a fresh world gen.

If you're in adventure mode you only get to take 4 items. Prioritize light sources and warm clothing.

thanks

another thing WTH is this?

1483985_10153725205170402_2107481747_o.jpg

how can i conquer this? :D

Replicant

Weird. I haven't been earning XP lately. The last character I unlocked was The Lumberjack. I thought I need XP to unlock the other 2?

BibiMaghoo

Weird. I haven't been earning XP lately. The last character I unlocked was The Lumberjack. I thought I need XP to unlock the other 2?

Nope. The last two characters are locked. You need to play adventure mode to unlock them. One requires finding something - that is random if it appears. The other is for finishing the 5 worlds in adventure mode.

Jintor

I'm having so much trouble keeping track of my day-to-day micro goals... night's either too short to work out what to do next, or too long to do anything but huddle by the fire.

McDutch

Banned

That is the last character you unlock with XP. The other two are in adventure mode

Edit: beaten like a day 18 horny beefalo

Replicant

Nope. The last two characters are locked. You need to play adventure mode to unlock them. One requires finding something - that is random if it appears. The other is for finishing the 5 worlds in adventure mode.

That is the last character you unlock with XP. The other two are in adventure mode

Edit: beaten like a day 18 horny beefalo

Thanks guys. Now I just have to figure out what this is. Ugh, if only I didn't die at the hand of the hounds' master. I made a wrong turn when I saw an igloo-like structure and much to my horror, there's a guy living there and he instructed his hounds to sic me upon sighting. FML

BibiMaghoo

Thanks guys. Now I just have to figure out what this is. Ugh, if only I didn't die at the hand of the hounds' master. I made a wrong turn when I saw an igloo-like structure and much to my horror, there's a guy living there and he instructed his hounds to sic me upon sighting. FML

Just as a side note, the last time I checked the trophy for unlocking the last character, the percentage was 0.0, meaning no one had managed it lol. I've tried once, and went mad on the first of five levels. Permanent winter is a bitch.

Played yesterday for the first time with 0 knowledge of what it actually is. Died the first night and on my second try managed to get to day 12 where some god damn dogs killed me.
It's a really fun and addicting game, I'll have to play some more ;)

Gaz_RB

Endgame spoilers:
Any tips for the ruins? Everytime I go down there to access the ancient science machine (which is awesome) and I barely make it out alive everytime, despite being very prepared. Getting on Day 130 now, I've kind of decided it's not even worth the risk.

I've had very close calls with that Walrus hunting party. Ended up running and coming back armed to the teeth. Very good loot if you can take them down

_hekk05

Banned
what do i need to destroy an obelisk?

Like I said, you cannot. If you are sane and it is up, being insane will lower it. If you are sane and it is down, being insane will raise it.

Endgame spoilers:
Any tips for the ruins? Everytime I go down there to access the ancient science machine (which is awesome) and I barely make it out alive everytime, despite being very prepared. Getting on Day 130 now, I've kind of decided it's not even worth the risk.

I've had very close calls with that Walrus hunting party. Ended up running and coming back armed to the teeth. Very good loot if you can take them down

Nah. Only good loot is walrus tooth for the walking cane. Or maybe blue gems from frost hounds.

Rixxan

I have a couple questions, enjoying my time with the game,but I've only played for a few hours and the longest I've survived is Day24.

- Whats the best way to survive and not freeze to death during winter?

- Is there an "end game"? I see alot of people talking about not knowing what to do on Day50 and the like, I also see people talking about adventure mode, is that something you start once you reach a certain day? Is there ever an "ending" in the classic sense? A boss?

I guess im just a bit confused about the progression, and while I understand and appreciate the lack of hand-holding in this game, I would feel a bit better if I knew sort of what I was working towards.

Gaz_RB

Like I said, you cannot. If you are sane and it is up, being insane will lower it. If you are sane and it is down, being insane will raise it.

Nah. Only good loot is walrus tooth for the walking cane. Or maybe blue gems from frost hounds.

Idk man, that hat is godlike for sanity regen

mattp

can anyone explain to me the purpose of the chests vs just dropping your items around your base?

can enemies stroll into your base while you're not there and steal your dropped stuff or something?

BibiMaghoo

I think im going to start another game using the default character as I read somewhere his beard helps with winter?

More importantly it allows you to make a meat effigy, which saves your life upon death. However, you can get the beard hair with any character, by murdering rabbits when your sanity is low. They appear as beardlings - the black fuzzy rabbits - and have a chance to drop beard hair. I managed it this way with the fire character.

Gaz_RB

I have a couple questions, enjoying my time with the game,but I've only played for a few hours and the longest I've survived is Day24.

- Whats the best way to survive and not freeze to death during winter?

- Is there an "end game"? I see alot of people talking about not knowing what to do on Day50 and the like, I also see people talking about adventure mode, is that something you start once you reach a certain day? Is there ever an "ending" in the classic sense? A boss?

I guess im just a bit confused about the progression, and while I understand and appreciate the lack of hand-holding in this game, I would feel a bit better if I knew sort of what I was working towards.

Mainly your goal is to not starve. And there are many ways to do that, which is what has even enthralling me so much recently, even up to day 130. I would take a few peeks at that wiki just so you can get an idea of how deep this game can get. Also there is sort of an endgame dungeon, if you can get to it.

And all that is separate from adventure mode, which does have an ending(but then you go back to sandbox mode). adventure mode is accessed by collecting all the parts to a portal.

There are a few boss monsters, and a boss at the end of that dungeon I mentioned.

Best way to not freeze to death is warm clothes/heat stone/fires. Don't do too much exploring

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So during winter I should just focus on keeping myself warm? No exploring?

BibiMaghoo

So during winter I should just focus on keeping myself warm? No exploring?

Make some heat stones and wear a good hat, and you can still explore. Just be aware of the lesser daylight hours, and the temperature of your stones.

I find the safest order to be:

1) Basics - food, heat, basic crafting grass and twigs
2) Safety - armour, spear, traps, walls
3) Winter - stocks of things that do not grow, jerky, heat stones, hats.
4) Explore - take some stocks, leave some at home and go nuts
5) Return - go home, restock, prepare traps, wood etc.
6) Build - after exploring, you can find the oddities and make the rarer stuff.
7) Repeat.

This is how I've been playing, and it's seen me through well so far.

_hekk05

Banned
Mainly your goal is to not starve. And there are many ways to do that, which is what has even enthralling me so much recently, even up to day 130. I would take a few peeks at that wiki just so you can get an idea of how deep this game can get. Also there is sort of an endgame dungeon, if you can get to it.

And all that is separate from adventure mode, which does have an ending(but then you go back to sandbox mode). adventure mode is accessed by collecting all the parts to a portal.

There are a few boss monsters, and a boss at the end of that dungeon I mentioned.

Best way to not freeze to death is warm clothes/heat stone/fires. Don't do too much exploring

Nonono. Adventure mode starts when you access Maxwell's door. Building the portal with the things moves you into a new world, starting at the same no of days but with all your current items.

Jobbs

Banned
Died on Day 24, during my first winter. Had a good run, and survived the first winter hound attack easily. My problem: sanity. Willow's low sanity killed me. Unlocked Wendy and the robot. Wondering who to use next.

My base as I prepared for winter:
DadsbQ9.jpg

Winter sets in (so gorgeous):
rWXSKVP.jpg

Bonus pic of Willow getting angry in the Pig King's forest:
oZ97qGV.jpg

Willow gets sanity gains just by standing very very close to a fire. Maybe that helps. :)

Gaz_RB

Nonono. Adventure mode starts when you access Maxwell's door. Building the portal with the things moves you into a new world, starting at the same no of days but with all your current items.

Oh wow I didn't even realize that. I thought that was Maxwell's door

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Endgame spoilers:

You've probably noticed that the ruins have their own analogue to the day/night cycle on the surface, called the nightmare cycle. When the nightmare cycle is at its peak the ground turns red and the place gets a lot more dangerous, with all the critters getting more aggressive and tons of shadow monsters spawning. Try not to move around too much during that phase, just find a quiet corner somewhere and wait it out. When the cycle dies down you can resume exploring.

All the standard spelunking advice applies here: always wear armor, bring full stacks of the basic equipment-making supplies (twigs, grass, logs, and flint or gold), have plenty of food on you, carry plenty of lantern and miner's hat refilling supplies, bring lots of healing items, and play cautiously in general.

Other useful stuff to try: take only vegetarian food with you along with a big stack of carrots and recruit a Bunnyman army to take with you down into the ruins. Cultivating Dragonfruits and Pumpkins to make Dragonpies and Pumpkin Cookies are your best option here. Alternately: Rock Lobsters. If you're using a Miner's Hat, try to get used to using a Lantern instead to free up your head slot for a Football Helmet. You need to get into the habit of dropping the Lantern when it's fightin' time, but it significantly improves your damage mitigation for any attacks that take you by surprise. In general I consider myself naked if I'm not wearing a Log Suit + Football Helmet combo while spelunking. It's just way too dangerous to not be stacking damage mitigation down there.

You'll likely want to bring Chester down with you on account of needing armor and not being able to bring a backpack. The li'l guy's actually really survivable, but you do need to keep an eye on him. He regenerates health, so if you notice him taking a few hits just hang out for a spell to let him recover. It only takes ~20 seconds for him to recover all of his HP from the brink of death, so you don't need to dilly-dally for long, but a bit of conscientiousness can keep you from losing your porter.

Other than that, just know when it's time to vamoose. You're probably not going to clear the ruins in a single run. When your supplies run low, just leave. There's always tomorrow.

Gaz_RB

You've probably noticed that the ruins have their own analogue to the day/night cycle on the surface, called the nightmare cycle. When the nightmare cycle is at its peak the ground turns red and the place gets a lot more dangerous, with all the critters getting more aggressive and tons of shadow monsters spawning. Try not to move around too much during that phase, just find a quiet corner somewhere and wait it out. When the cycle dies down you can resume exploring.

All the standard spelunking advice applies here: always wear armor, bring full stacks of the basic equipment-making supplies (twigs, grass, logs, and flint or gold), have plenty of food on you, carry plenty of lantern and miner's hat refilling supplies, bring lots of healing items, and play cautiously in general.

Other useful stuff to try: take only vegetarian food with you along with a big stack of carrots and recruit a Bunnyman army to take with you down into the ruins. Cultivating Dragonfruits and Pumpkins to make Dragonpies and Pumpkin Cookies are your best option here. Alternately: Rock Lobsters. If you're using a Miner's Hat, try to get used to using a Lantern instead to free up your head slot for a Football Helmet. You need to get into the habit of dropping the Lantern when it's fightin' time, but it significantly improves your damage mitigation for any attacks that take you by surprise. In general I consider myself naked if I'm not wearing a Log Suit + Football Helmet combo while spelunking. It's just way too dangerous to not be stacking damage mitigation down there.

You'll likely want to bring Chester down with you on account of needing armor and not being able to bring a backpack. The li'l guy's actually really survivable, but you do need to keep an eye on him. He regenerates health, so if you notice him taking a few hits just hang out for a spell to let him recover. It only takes ~20 seconds for him to recover all of his HP from the brink of death, so you don't need to dilly-dally for long, but a bit of conscientiousness can keep you from losing your porter.

Other than that, just know when it's time to vamoose. You're probably not going to clear the ruins in a single run. When your supplies run low, just leave. There's always tomorrow.

Exactly what I was looking for. Gonna give it another go tonight.

that nightmare cycle is what kept getting me. Camping out and waiting for it to end is great advice. Didn't even realize there was an actual cycle. Have you taken out that giant Rook looking monster boss down there?

Thanks man

Number45

I'm at day 7 and can't find the beefalo. Am i screwed?
Watched a guy just running around on Twitch last night until later than day 7 - might have been as much as 10/11 - before he found a herd and he managed just fine. I like the way he starts out his runs (filling out the edges of the map gathering just enough to survive) until he finds a herd and then he goes to town/camp.

Watched a guy just running around on Twitch last night until later than day 7 - might have been as much as 10/11 - before he found a herd and he managed just fine. I like the way he starts out his runs (filling out the edges of the map gathering just enough to survive) until he finds a herd and then he goes to town/camp.

That's exactly what I'm dong! Found a wormhole so maybe I'll be ok.

Also, can some delineate the best situations for using Wendy's special ability? Thanks!

You'll be fine for a while. I just wouldn't set up a permanent base until you find them.

It's there some weird spawn rules for beefalo? I never find any in the first Savannah area that I stumble upon. Almost feels like they span around day 5, but only in unexplored Savannahs.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Exactly what I was looking for. Gonna give it another go tonight.

that nightmare cycle is what kept getting me. Camping out and waiting for it to end is great advice. Didn't even realize there was an actual cycle. Have you taken out that giant Rook looking monster boss down there?

Thanks man

Yeah, the rook-looking dude is the Ancient Guardian. He drops his horn when he dies, which you can combine with the Deerclops' eyeball and a bunch of Thulecite to make the Houndius Shootius, which is a turret that basically makes you immune to hound attacks forever. Just stand near it under a Bush Hat and it'll obliterate any hounds that dare to come near.

It's pretty sweet. One of the highlights of ruins exploration, and definitely one of the things you should use your finite Thulecite supply on.

That's exactly what I'm dong! Found a wormhole so maybe I'll be ok.

Also, can some delineate the best situations for using Wendy's special ability? Thanks!

The fundamentals of Abigail:

1. She's endlessly renewable as long as you can retrieve her flower. Unless you know you're going to be going somewhere that'll get her killed (er... flowered?) there's not really much reason not to keep her summoned whenever she's available.

2. She's got a decently beefy health pool and naturally regenerates, but has no damage mitigation. This makes her good at surviving small engagements, but means she fares poorly fighting big nasties.

3. She's at her weakest during the daytime, dealing only 10 damage per attack. At dusk her power doubles, and she deals 20 damage per attack. She's at full power at night, when she deals 40 damage per attack. Note that when you're in subterranean areas it's always considered nighttime, making her a fantastic asset for spelunking.

4. Her attack is a small AOE, so she's great at annihilating swarms of stunlock-able enemies like spiders and bees.

In general, think of Abigail as more of a farming tool than as a serious combat minion for the most part. The only time she's a serious fighter is at night and in caves. Use her to easily clear spider dens, smash beehives, and annihilate frogs. Try to do your farming of these things at dusk if at all possible to maximize efficiency. Nobody can farm swarms of small enemies faster and with less preparation than Wendy with Abigail.

If Abigail is making sad eyes it means she's low on HP. She regens, so just give her a few minutes to regenerate if at all possible to maximize her uptime. If that means skipping a chance to farm a spider den or some ponds, so be it. You lose more resources overall by getting her killed and having to wait several days for her flower to bloom again than you lose by skipping an evening of farming to give her time to heal.

Don't be afraid to sacrifice her to save yourself. If she aggros a Tallbird swarm or a Deerclops or something and gives you a chance to escape, just thank her for her selflessness and skedaddle. The flower's not going anywhere, and you can retrieve it when the heat dies down.

Really obvious advice here, but always take her with you into caves. She's a genuinely strong fighter at night and in caves, and can seriously do a lot of heavy lifting in subterranean areas as long as you give her some time to regenerate between fights.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment. She's great once you get used to using her, and she's the reason that Wendy is 100% amazeballs in Adventure Mode. Learning to use Abigail effectively is a huge boon in being able to complete it.

Found the beefalos. Great camp setup in the middle of the map, right next to huge cache of bunny holes, bees, and beefalos down the road. Huge forest next door. Day 13 saved and off to work. If I make it into winter again, I might stream this time. Got a good feeling.

How do I farm the beefalos for their wool and still have them to fight off the hounds?

Whose everyone's favorite character and why? I got to day 66 with Willow. Her lighter was absolutely crucial for me at some points whether it was burning down a tree to refuel my heat stone or burning down a forest when I was getting overwhelmed by mobs

I recently tried woody and his ulterior form seems almost over powered. Though I'm not sure if I like the mechanics of it

Top Bottom