• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Do the hounds come with more frequency the higher you go? I'm on day 90 and scared out of my mind.

With more frequency, in greater numbers, and with less time between when your character issues the warning and when they arrive.

You'll always have at least 30 seconds between warning and arrival though, if that makes you feel any better.

i'm about to enter the teleportator thing.. what things do i need take with me to the other side? can i take chester with me?

You can't take the eye bone, no. If you're in survival mode just take whatever along with you. You're headed to a fresh world gen.

If you're in adventure mode you only get to take 4 items. Prioritize light sources and warm clothing.

admartian

I'm at day 10 or so right now and managed to build a science machine. Still explored only maybe about 15-25% of the map. I'm not sure if I've decided on a camp yet - but if I do camp somewhere (set up base) what's the best way to move it?

I know I can't move a fire pit, but I understand I can move the Science Machine and chests?How would I do this?

Love this game. Haven't thought about a game like this in a while.

Jintor

Quick note: pre-built cobblestone paths ALWAYS link Pig Villages, so if you find one, you're guaranteed to find at least two villages of friendlies.

I'm at day 10 or so right now and managed to build a science machine. Still explored only maybe about 15-25% of the map. I'm not sure if I've decided on a camp yet - but if I do camp somewhere (set up base) what's the best way to move it?

I know I can't move a fire pit, but I understand I can move the Science Machine and chests?How would I do this?

You'd have to deconstruct and rebuild, but you'll lose part of the resources used to make it. I fucked up hardcore by putting my science labs too far out of the fire range so I have to light a second fire to use them...

Btw turf is by far the best fuel source, though it's non-renwable, but there's enough turf around that doesn't really matter. I really wish I could get some kind of perma-light, or at least a really long lasting one. I might just go get some fireflies and dump 'em by my entrance points maybe or something... or maybe I'll try and colonise one of those pig totem areas.

Teletraan1

Banned
The whole point of the Beefalo defense is that it's a safe and reliable way of dealing with Hounds that requires an absolutely trivial expenditure of time and resources to prepare. It doesn't even require that you have a Fire Pit, let alone a base that you've constructed choke points in. You can use it against the first attack just as well as you can use it against the fiftieth.

And you can shave the Beefalo while waiting for the attack to arrive, which is funny.

They haven't announced anything, but they've insinuated that they're working on some sort of paid expansion for the game.

The end of Adventure Mode also hints heavily at an expansion/sequel. Actually it kind of more than hints.

I think people should just learn to play based on what you are given. I am not advocating one single way of playing anything. Just options which is what I like about the game. Some times these maps are fucked. Some maps ended up with no beefalos on days of just raw exploration. I have ended up with a field of rocks above where my best place to camp is so no beefalos and lots of rocks you make due with what you have. That is why there are so many tools given to the player. For me I have more fun adapting to what I have rather than just trying to follow the same strategy every time. I found it pretty rare to get a perfect roll of everything you would want really close to beefalos in the multiple games I played. Other games it was easy to exploit beefalo with a camp close by or luring hounds into pengu/killer bee hives/treeguard.

Jintor

Learning your map is definitely one of the most interesting parts of DS. I just wish you could mark it somehow so I could be like "Beefalo herds here" or "Spider Forests, be wary" or whatever.

/edit lol I re-read my post and thought I was talking about Dark Souls for a moment. You Defeated...

Gaz_RB

Quick note: pre-built cobblestone paths ALWAYS link Pig Villages, so if you find one, you're guaranteed to find at least two villages of friendlies.

You'd have to deconstruct and rebuild, but you'll lose part of the resources used to make it. I fucked up hardcore by putting my science labs too far out of the fire range so I have to light a second fire to use them...

Btw turf is by far the best fuel source, though it's non-renwable, but there's enough turf around that doesn't really matter. I really wish I could get some kind of perma-light, or at least a really long lasting one. I might just go get some fireflies and dump 'em by my entrance points maybe or something... or maybe I'll try and colonise one of those pig totem areas.

Lanterns are really awesome. They aren't permanent but they last the longest and are refuelable.

-PXG-

Learning your map is definitely one of the most interesting parts of DS. I just wish you could mark it somehow so I could be like "Beefalo herds here" or "Spider Forests, be wary" or whatever.

/edit lol I re-read my post and thought I was talking about Dark Souls for a moment. You Defeated...

THIS. Being able to add markers to your map would be nice.

JJD

Quick question: I have planted a Lure Plant on wooden flooring to prevent eyeplants from spawning near my base entrance to act as a "gatekeeper" of sorts or even a decoy to hounds and other hostile mobs, but do they consume the loot of fallen prey? Or only the eyeplants will consume the loot?

admartian

Cool, thanks for that. So I don't need the Deconstruciton Staff or whatever it is? Just walk up to things and press the appropriate context button?

Arken2121

This is such an amazing game, double-dipping from the PC version and haven't looked back(free anyway). This has been the gift that just keeps on giving.

TheGamer

Finally have managed to build a big base! I think now I'll have what it takes to break the 100 days barrier and I'm only on day 28!

I have 6 chests, 2 crock pots (I will probably make at least another 2), 6 drying racks, 4 improved farms (need at least more 2), 3 bee boxes with a lot of flowers around (I have a never ending supply of honey), 4 ice boxes.

My base and the honey farm are completely walled. The base have 3 exit points (need to get some tooth traps on the exits). Outside of the main base I have a huge farm o supplies. 40 berry bushes, 40 grass tufts, 40 saplings and a fucktoon of evergreens for logs or charcoal.

The whole base and the farms are protected by lightening rods.

I already have 2 spider queen eggs to start a silk farm but I'll do that later, I have lots of silk.

Less than a minute walk north of my base there's 2 big beefalo herds, south a lot of bunnie holes and just on the entrance of my base I have a touch stone, with another touch stone a short 2 or 3 minutes walk to the south.

I have been incredibly lucky with this map. Got 4 gears on a cemetery up in the north and a life giving amulet. I have 3 lives right now if I fuck things up but I have been really cautious this time. I have already found 3 pieces of the wooden thing.

Next step is to get 3 or 4 birdcages going for the gold (still haven't found the pig king). I have all the supplies I need except the papyrus.

My main problem in this play through is that I have yet to find a marsh and reeds. I think I'll explore more, reeds are the only supply I don't have in abundance and I need the papyrus for the birdcages and honey poultices.

If I had a marsh and reeds less than a day walk from my base this map and my base would be perfect.

I wish you could provide us with an image, I would love to see how it all looks.

Jintor

Can't seem to figure out how to wall off the bits right on the shoreline. Don't think you can... might have to make them wider and leave them as entry points. Well, I know what to do next time around then.

BibiMaghoo

Can't seem to figure out how to wall off the bits right on the shoreline. Don't think you can... might have to make them wider and leave them as entry points. Well, I know what to do next time around then.

To my knowledge you can't. I just make them into 'tunnels' for the dogs and traps.

Jintor

A devious surprise in the village because it was full of werepigs.

Werepigs don't appear to set off hound traps?!?! Or I buggered up somehow.

Anyway, I died at day 41. Might break for a while then once more unto the breach. Might try and set up closer to a sinkhole or something next time around, looking for rocks was definitely the most irritating part.

_hekk05

Banned
A devious surprise in the village because it was full of werepigs.

Werepigs don't appear to set off hound traps?!?! Or I buggered up somehow.

Anyway, I died at day 41. Might break for a while then once more unto the breach. Might try and set up closer to a sinkhole or something next time around, looking for rocks was definitely the most irritating part.

Batilisks come out of sinkholes at dusk. Don't be too near them. Also pigs turn into werepigs if you feed them 4 monster meat, or at full moon. Keep in mind the lunar cycle.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
My god... This game... Plan was to play it for 1 hour... 5 hours later, it's 4am and I need to wake up soon :( day 25 something!

Jintor

It turns out I had been dropping my traps the whole time instead of placing them. Do'h!

I still think combat is the weakest link in this game. Half the time I end up attacking chester instead of the spider trying to mack on him, good thing the little bugger can take it. He's like a lil doggie that doesn't aggro on me!

ixix

It turns out I had been dropping my traps the whole time instead of placing them. Do'h!

I still think combat is the weakest link in this game. Half the time I end up attacking chester instead of the spider trying to mack on him, good thing the little bugger can take it. He's like a lil doggie that doesn't aggro on me!

The controller support in the PC version had a bad habit of prioritizing the wrong thing at times, which could really hurt when you accidentally smacked an allied pig or something when you're trying to fight a group of enemies.

There's actually a really egregious example of the game mis-prioritizing targets when using a controller at the end of Adventure Mode in the PC version. You pretty much have to switch to a mouse at one point to interact with something correctly. I hope they fixed that for the PS4 version, 'cause that ain't exactly an option when you're playing the console version.

maltrain

My advice... if you plan to fight against some monsters (like dogs for example), drop the EyeBone somewhere else, fight alone and then comeback for Chester.

That way, he won't die. :)

Gaz_RB

Chester comes back one day after death, so don't worry too much about him.

At day 110, my only issue is trying to raise a Smallbird. Hounds keep getting the poor guy :(

Replicant

Why does PSN censored the word 'falo'? in Beefalos? What does that even mean?

Anyway, was looking for manure when I saw the Beefalos in deadly fight against the Stingers and OMG, the casualties from the fight are delicious:

Bd_f-xbCIAEWrVn.jpg:large

You bet your ass I snatched all of those goodies.

Jintor

Deep down in the caves now... Who knew how crazy this game could get?

tell me about it. i'm still gearing up for a good spelunking session. Only ventured in far enough to grab some lightbulbs and run the fuck away from some MASSIVE TENTACLES.

great base
fire, tent, crockpot, meat dryers (I think the pigs rob these), science/alchemy and then farms. farms would go outside the wall if you make a wall though. so would bee boxes. you really really want beeboxes near the base. at least one and a lot of flowers semi near it but not right next to.

Thanks for the input. Only thing you forgot to mention was lightning rod! Just lost all my trees around my base.

Day 16. Six dry racks setup. Crockpot humming. 10 rabbit traps checked daily. 2 hound attacks survived (base right by beefalo). 10 small jerkies in chest.

What else do I need to survive the winter? Using Willow . . .

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yeah what's the best fuel for the winters?

Jintor

Turf imho.

God I just ran into a biome FULL of killer bee hives. I didn't realise it was almost exclusively killer bees until I was halfway through it. By that point I had triggered four hives. Managed to get outta there but that was a close one

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Finally have managed to build a big base! I think now I'll have what it takes to break the 100 days barrier and I'm only on day 28!

I have 6 chests, 2 crock pots (I will probably make at least another 2), 6 drying racks, 4 improved farms (need at least more 2), 3 bee boxes with a lot of flowers around (I have a never ending supply of honey), 4 ice boxes.

My base and the honey farm are completely walled. The base have 3 exit points (need to get some tooth traps on the exits). Outside of the main base I have a huge farm o supplies. 40 berry bushes, 40 grass tufts, 40 saplings and a fucktoon of evergreens for logs or charcoal.

The whole base and the farms are protected by lightening rods.

I already have 2 spider queen eggs to start a silk farm but I'll do that later, I have lots of silk.

Less than a minute walk north of my base there's 2 big beefalo herds, south a lot of bunnie holes and just on the entrance of my base I have a touch stone, with another touch stone a short 2 or 3 minutes walk to the south.

I have been incredibly lucky with this map. Got 4 gears on a cemetery up in the north and a life giving amulet. I have 3 lives right now if I fuck things up but I have been really cautious this time. I have already found 3 pieces of the wooden thing.

Next step is to get 3 or 4 birdcages going for the gold (still haven't found the pig king). I have all the supplies I need except the papyrus.

My main problem in this play through is that I have yet to find a marsh and reeds. I think I'll explore more, reeds are the only supply I don't have in abundance and I need the papyrus for the birdcages and honey poultices.

If I had a marsh and reeds less than a day walk from my base this map and my base would be perfect.

don't forget chests next to the touchstones with warmth supplies so you don't die if you spawn there in winter! nothing sucks worse than that. Also some meat effigies at your base.

Wait for summer and go wandering with an empty pack. you'll find the reeds easy, live off berries/normal fires and just walk the entire circumference. the marsh is a scary place but you can get a lot of fish and a really good weapon there if you wait for the tentacles to attack those mermen.

Thanks for the input. Only thing you forgot to mention was lightning rod! Just lost all my trees around my base.

Day 16. Six dry racks setup. Crockpot humming. 10 rabbit traps checked daily. 2 hound attacks survived (base right by beefalo). 10 small jerkies in chest.

What else do I need to survive the winter? Using Willow . . .

I only ever use wilson, but a heatstone is critical. Heatstone plus the wolly hat should keep you alive while roaming around most of the day if wilson has a nice big beard. In winter I stop exploring and generally go on food runs only, get rabbits/make hams. your insanity will drop a lot more in winter as well, so it's handy to have both a lot of food and a tent, because you can sleep to grow your sanity back but you'll wake up totally starving and have to eat immediately or your health will start dropping. that's hwere the honey hams come in. 1 = almost full belly.

ixix

Yeah what's the best fuel for the winters?

Unlike most things, trees still grow in winter, so planting pinecones and letting them grow can keep you supplied with wood for your fires. Beefalo don't stop pooping when it gets cold either, so collecting manure can provide you with fuel as well.

There are a few esoteric ones that work situationally, too: grass and log suits both burn for ages, so if you've got one you've been wearing for a while that's sitting at <10% durability or so just craft a fresh one and throw the old one on the fire. Its durability has nothing to do with its quality as fuel, so you can essentially extend the useful life of your old worn-out armor by turning it into fire.

I try to avoid using anything non-renewable as fuel, so I don't use turfs, grass tufts, or saplings unless I'm in dire straits. They all burn really well, though and are available in large numbers. I'm not a fan of using a resource I can't replenish when I can easily substitute renewable resources.

Stuff like grass and twigs work, but they're terribly inefficient and annoying to harvest in winter, though spiky bushes actually grow in winter, so if you're not averse to some logistical complications in harvesting them you can transplant a few to your base to have a renewable twig supply year round. Still not efficient, but there are worse options, I suppose.

Jintor

I just pick up 10 turf while I'm doing a whatever run and store it back at base. If you go to different enough places you don't practically exhaust anywhere. Well, until you hit like the hundreds of days i guess

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so glad this game is getting loads of attention now thanks to ps4. I was loving it on PC, but the thread was pretty much dead. it's such an amazing/large and complete game with a really good support cycle. not sure if they're still updating it or it's now 'complete' for PC.

Yoshichan

How exactly do I plant pine cone? Basic farm + walk over it and seed it?

ixix

I just pick up 10 turf while I'm doing a whatever run and store it back at base. If you go to different enough places you don't practically exhaust anywhere. Well, until you hit like the hundreds of days i guess

But then you need to see the patch of naked land that is the result of your rapacious need for fire every time you pass through the area. And then you feel bad, because you hurt nature and I thought that Ferngully raised you better than that.

How exactly do I plant pine cone? Basic farm + walk over it and seed it?

You don't plant it in a farm, you just place it wherever. If you select it in your inventory there should be a direction you push on the D-pad to plant it.

I haven't played the PS4 version, but that's how it works when you play the PC version with a controller. I'm assuming it works the same.

I'm so glad this game is getting loads of attention now thanks to ps4. I was loving it on PC, but the thread was pretty much dead. it's such an amazing/large and complete game with a really good support cycle. not sure if they're still updating it or it's now 'complete' for PC.

I knew I remembered them saying something about an expansion of sorts, but I finally went to the trouble of finding it:

When November rolls around, the majority of the dev team is going to focus on the first Don’t Starve DLC. We haven’t decided what this is going to be yet (not multiplayer!), but I think that we are leaning towards bringing crazy new challenges set in the same world. We want to be able to make big scary changes to the game rules and do strange new things without changing the core, vanilla DS experience.

So the end of October was when the last major content update came, so presumably that's what they've been working on since then.

Died on Day 24, during my first winter. Had a good run, and survived the first winter hound attack easily. My problem: sanity. Willow's low sanity killed me. Unlocked Wendy and the robot. Wondering who to use next.

My base as I prepared for winter:
DadsbQ9.jpg

Winter sets in (so gorgeous):
rWXSKVP.jpg

Bonus pic of Willow getting angry in the Pig King's forest:
oZ97qGV.jpg

Jintor

But then you need to see the patch of naked land that is the result of your rapacious need for fire every time you pass through the area. And then you feel bad, because you hurt nature and I thought that Ferngully raised you better than that.

So dig up roads and demonstrate the power of man taming the savage wilderness with his movement-speed increasing magic ways!

Top Bottom