• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

MNC

So how much better is a golden axe or the other golden things? I find my axe and pickaxe run out the fastest by far.

I found the gold axe to not be worth the cost of gold. It last much longer but still runs out eventually. Since I have an abundance of flint I just keep making regular axes instead, and save my gold for more important things.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Divining Rod I think helps you find the door.. But I've never used it so I can't tell you how it works or if it even works nice..

edit: http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Divining_Rod

Oh my stars and garters. I've never even used the Divining Rod outside of Adventure Mode, so I had no idea that you could use it to find the door.

I found the gold axe to not be worth the cost of gold. It last much longer but still runs out eventually. Since I have an abundance of flint I just keep making regular axes instead, and save my gold for more important things.

If you've got access to a Pig King gold is actually more common than flint. Flint's only available in finite (but large) quantities on the surface, and to get an inexhaustible supply you need to go down into the caves. A Pig King will trade gold nuggets for meat, which lets you turn easily-renewable meat supplies into vast piles of filthy lucre.

In all likelihood, the longer you last in survival mode the more you'll start leaning on gold tools in preference to flint ones unless you've had the misfortune of generating a Pig King-less world or are doing a challenge run like setting up permanent camp in the caves.

BeEjtk_CcAAnItU.jpg:large

All I need now is to find Wes in my current play-through and then (gulp...) try and complete Adventure Mode for Maxwell and the final trophy!

What's the use of walls since they don't keep out the hounds?
You can use them to build a "safe room" of sorts with one entrance so you can trap/funnel the hounds in a single file line so you don't get swarmed (plus you can kill them easier that way with Tooth Traps and such).

Made it to day 20 and died at night b/c two monsters ran into my camp and killed me when my guard was down. The worst part is that I was almost done completing a wall around my base....

ibjhBDSDUAfpoE.jpg

Jintor

Made it to day 20 and died at night b/c two monsters ran into my camp and killed me when my guard was down. The worst part is that I was almost done completing a wall around my base....

ibjhBDSDUAfpoE.jpg

Consider setting up by the sea and leaving entrances by the shoreline so you don't spend as much on walls.

Also, red hounds explode when they die and set fire to stuff. Be warned.

PBY

Banned
having a hard time "getting" this game

its fun/looks nice... but i always feel empty after every death, like i wasted all this time.

I wish they would patch in the ability to let you move the map via the touch pad rather than the left stick. It would feel so natural. Also, bringing your fingers in and spreading them out (a la iPhone) could be used to zoom. This would open up the Left stick and L1 & R1 (or is it L2 & R2?) for other features.

having a hard time "getting" this game

its fun/looks nice... but i always feel empty after every death, like i wasted all this time.

Might not be for you. Every death leaves me hungry to do better and I've been planning for winter all day at work.

Do you like dark souls?

mattp

is it just me or is the text a little too small? it seems like the ui wasnt adapted to a tv
especially when looking in your crafting menu and it says how many of each item is required. half the time i can't tell what the number is

i also wish there was text labels in the crafting menu, sometimes i cant tell what the icons are

Got to winter and died again. So, I have a new thought for everyone struggling. Hunger is not your worst enemy. Get 5-10 dry racks set up near a cache of bunnies, and you're good. Hounds are not your worst enemy. Place your base near the beefalos, let them breed, and your hounds will be monster meat in no time. Insanity is not your worst enemy. Eat jerky and sleep in a hay roll or a tent, and you'll be good.

No, most definitely, your worst is enemy is you. I could have made it through the winter no problem. My camp was humming. My setup was the best I've had so far. I felt untouchable. And then I wandered too close to crazy one-eyed desert bird (don't know their name) with low health after Woodie's special night, and I died, losing my touchstone backup. Then, I decided it was time to smash up some spider nests and start farming silk as the beaver. Well, Woodie's other form may be powerful against a lone treehearder or two, but a nest of spiders AND some crazed Pig King guardians . . . too much.

If I'd only not strayed so far from home . . .

Here was the awesome spot I was in:
m85dqym.jpg

UujxHTH.jpg

Jintor

Was peacefully mining and harvesting beardlings for beard hair for an effigy when I got a curious sense of ennui. "Why am I doing this? What's the point of it all?"

Time to stop playing for a few months, I think. I'll be back after the next update or so. Or when I get bored, I dunno.

Sanke__

Finally got to the gate to adventure mode again

I managed to find the clockwork guys and kill one of them for a gear and then made myself insane to farm nightmare fuel then got my sanity back and made a divining rod

I then went on to find all 4 pieces of the wooden thing with it by about day 14

Before finally finding the gate to adventure mode with it by day 18

I had to cross a swamp and a killer bee field to get to it but im finally saved right next to it on day 18

Abigail is amazing
Absolutely decimates spiders
I had a full stack of 40 silk for infinite top hats which made sanity no issue at all

Betty

Banned
Also I've played 20 hours of this thing this time around and I haven't seen a single fucking gear

Really?

The clockwork monsters, the bishop, knight and rook, all drop them. They are always found in this location.

500px-World_3_Clockwork_Knights.png

If you ever play adventure mode you'll definitely run in to them.

Jintor

I haven't seen Max's door this time around either. I saw it a year or so ago when I first started playing but I died pretty much immediately that time.

There's no pig king in my current world either. Or at least I haven't found him.

genbatzu

decided to give adventure mode another try after 150 days of survival~

i died like 3 or 4 times because of the massive amount of frogs falling down from sky when it rains... because attacking one frog aggroes all of the surrounding ones and all 3-5 days winter is coming....

but I figured out a pretty easy solution for this environment: frog hunting with traps! :D

It's quite easy, just drop a trap and aggro a frog, lure it to the trap and it will be captured. After looting it will be instantly frog legs. big benefit is, that no other frogs will aggro you and on this environment it is an easy food supply!

I made a short video (~1min) of it to show how it works (because I'm bad at explaining ;P)

http://youtu.be/M5nuUGuqaHE

npa189

I reached day 20, had a real good thing going with a nice base and modest berry farming operation going. Out on a beefalo dung harvest I get greedy and decide to take on a bunch of frogs, bad decision. I'm pretty pissed at myself, but I did unlock the robot, I'll use him on my next play. I'm really digging this game, I love survival-type games.

Number45

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to play this. I've been reading this thread and I LOVE watching other people play, but when I'm playing the game I think I find it just a little too oppressive to deal with. :(

I only actually started playing it last night. Got to day 13 then got killed by darkness (I was in my camp, I just panicked) and restarted at a touchstone. I have a science and alchemy machine, a few farms and a log suit/spear for the incoming hound attack (and I'm near beefalo anyway, so I can just kite them). I also have a fire staff... which it turns out was not the cleverest thing to pick up! D:

I stupidly pacified a tree guard right next to my evergreen forest, so I'll need to take him on before harvesting those.

More than anything I don't feel like I'm in any way prepared for the onset of winter, assuming I get that far. I feel like I should be more organised.

suedester

Banned
Guys what do I do about these hounds. I have died twice thanks to these little bastards

Best tactic is to kite them into a herd of beefalo or through a spiders nest. If you are playing as Wendy then you summon Abigail when you first hear them and she is pretty effective at dealing with them. Beefalo are the best bet though.

Kinan

but I figured out a pretty easy solution for this environment: frog hunting with traps! :D

It's quite easy, just drop a trap and aggro a frog, lure it to the trap and it will be captured. After looting it will be instantly frog legs. big benefit is, that no other frogs will aggro you and on this environment it is an easy food supply!

I made a short video (~1min) of it to show how it works (because I'm bad at explaining ;P)

http://youtu.be/M5nuUGuqaHE

Ha, nice idea, will use, thanks :)

Best tactic is to kite them into a herd of beefalo or through a spiders nest. If you are playing as Wendy then you summon Abigail when you first hear them and she is pretty effective at dealing with them. Beefalo are the best bet though.

Awesome ill do that thanks. Is there something I have to do to get my berry bushes to Respawn berries after I replant them?

Double D

I played this for the first time last night. Only played one game. I really have no idea what is going on. I picked up a bunch of flowers, grass, and flint and then realized I had an axe and started chopping trees down.

Then it got pitch black and I got murdered. Did someone post a guide for beginners?

JJD

Guys what is the best way to deal with killer bees hives?

I'm at day 92 and was really lucky on my map, my base is amazing but I still haven't found the Pig King and I need to find another place to mine for rocks/gold.

I explored a big part of the map, and the only place missing is the other side of a very narrow passage with dozens, I shit you not dozens of killer bees hives.

I lost a meat effigy trying to cross over, as soon as I got past the first row of hives something like 60 killer bees came at me. I thought the game even got a little bit of slowdown? I think I can still cross over with a lot of running and dodging and a lot of poultices, but how would I come back to my base? I don't know if there are even more killer bees hives beyond, and frankly I would like safe passage to the Pig King and not an all out war every time I try to give him meats for gold.

I'm pretty sure there is a sizable chunk of land left to be explored on the other side of the Bees corridor.

Even with the beekeeper hat I still would have to deal with a gigantic swarm and stings from everywhere, I'm not confident I would make it even with a log suit and the hat.

I'm thinking I should try either a a fire staff or a fire dart and set fire on their hives from a distance.

I don't need the resources from the hives so I'm fine with burning then, I already have a great honey farm going on.

Any ideas? It's the only place on the map where the Pig King, Maxwell Door and Chess Biome can be...

By the way this game is amazing!!! I never expected something like this on this map!

Release the DLC quickly Klei!!!

Edit:Blowdart is out of the question I think. It's a one shot weapon, and the reeds needed to make one are the only resource I don't have in abundance. Managed to found a single swamp on this map, with only 24 reeds. I need then to stay alive with the poultices.

BibiMaghoo

Guys what is the best way to deal with killer bees hives?

I'm at day 92 and was really lucky on my map, my base is amazing but I still haven't found the Pig King and I need to find another place to mine for rocks/gold.

I explored a big part of the map, and the only place missing is the other side of a very narrow passage with dozens, I shit you not dozens of killer bees hives.

I lost a meat effigy trying to cross over, as soon as I got past the first row of hives something like 60 killer bees came at me. I thought the game even got a little bit of slowdown?

Run past them, the frame rate will drop severely when there are many bees following you. Equip a log suit and be keepers hat, and you will make it past them no problem. It's good to take chester with you, as they will attack him also, freeing up some room for you to move. Just be sure he doesnt carry anything vital in case he dies. I had to do the same as you to get to the chess biome, that was smack bang in the middle of a mass of killer bees. It was horrible, but I made it out with enough gears.

Just keep moving, do not stop, and youll be fine.

JJD

Run past them, the frame rate will drop severely when there are many bees following you. Equip a log suit and be keepers hat, and you will make it past them no problem. It's good to take chester with you, as they will attack him also, freeing up some room for you to move. Just be sure he doesnt carry anything vital in case he dies. I had to do the same as you to get to the chess biome, that was smack bang in the middle of a mass of killer bees. It was horrible, but I made it out with enough gears.

Just keep moving, do not stop, and youll be fine.

The thing is I was planning on making this trip frequently to deliver meats to the Pig King...dealing with the bees every single time would be a pain...

It seems I can put fire on their hives with the torch, maybe a beekeeper hap/logsuit and torch combo can help me deal with some hives...

What happens with the bees after their hives are destroyed? Do they die by themselves some time after?

Sanke__

Killer bees are easy to get through
You just need to run and dodge and focus on not getting hit once
you easily run faster than them and they will follow you in a line so if you run into a bunch you can just run in big circles to group them together
There seems to always be something really good on the other side of the killer bee field
Either the adventure mode gate clockwork guys or something else so im finding its best to just go ahead and run through it when you find it

The thing is I was planning on making this trip frequently to deliver meats to the Pig King...dealing with the bees every single time would be a pain...

It seems I can put fire on their hives with the torch, maybe a beekeeper hap/logsuit and torch combo can help me deal with some hives...

What happens with the bees after their hives are destroyed? Do they die by themselves some time after?

Its way too hard to get close enough to killer bee hives with a torch
But this definitely works with a fire staff

Also abigail is amazing for bees and spiders

BibiMaghoo

As above, too risky, just go through them. Attacking them will see them chase you for longer also, so it's in your interests just to run. get honey you need from less dangerous hives.

I would recommend you simply setup an addition camp that side of the bees, if you feel it's somewhere you will need to travel a lot.

JJD

Killer bees are easy to get through
You just need to run and dodge and focus on not getting hit once
you easily run faster than them and they will follow you in a line so if you run into a bunch you can just run in big circles to group them together
There seems to always be something really good on the other side of the killer bee field
Either the adventure mode gate clockwork guys or something else so im finding its best to just go ahead and run through it when you find it

Its way too hard to get close enough to killer bee hives with a torch
But this definitely works with a fire staff

Also abigail is amazing for bees and spiders

As above, too risky, just go through them. Attacking them will see them chase you for longer also, so it's in your interests just to run. get honey you need from less dangerous hives.

I would recommend you simply setup an addition camp that side of the bees, if you feel it's somewhere you will need to travel a lot.

I don't have a facebook account, how can I upload photos and videos from the share function?

I wish you guys could see this. I'm not talking about 5 or 6 killer bees hives, I'm talking 18 (that I could count on the revealed map after I died and lost my meat effigy), on a narrow corridor linking 2 continents/islands. I'm certain there are some more after the point I died.

Running past then is an option but only with the beekeeper hat and a log suit, and I don't know what's up ahead, I'm afraid of managing to run past then but not being able to get back to my camp.

Also the Pig King, Maxwell door and chess biome can only be behind the hives because they are not anywhere else. I'll need to visit the Pig King frequently to trade meats for gold because I've run out of places to mine and getting past then and back every time is not really an option...

I need to deal with then. I think I know now why the map spawned with 2 touchstones and why I found a life giving amulet pretty early on this play through! Lol!

Sanke__

I don't have a facebook account, how can I upload photos and videos from the share function?

I wish you guys could see this. I'm not talking about 5 or 6 killer bees hives, I'm talking 18 (that I could count on the revealed map after I died and lost my meat effigy), on a narrow corridor linking 2 continents/islands. I'm certain there are some more after the point I died.

Running past then is an option but only with the beekeeper hat and a log suit, and I don't know what's up ahead, I'm afraid of managing to run past then but not being able to get back to my camp.

Also the Pig King, Maxwell door and chess biome can only be behind the hives because they are not anywhere else. I'll need to visit the Pig King frequently to trade meats for gold because I've run out of places to mine and getting past then and back every time is not really an option...

I need to deal with then. I think I know now why the map spawned with 2 touchstones and why I found a life giving amulet pretty early on this play through! Lol!

If they are that close together you should try the fire staff
Just run in and shoot one shot at the closest hive then run away until they quit following you and repeat
When i had to do this i did have abigail to help protect me but its worth a shot

BibiMaghoo

Why make the base near water instead of a road or a wormhole? When pinguins show up in ur base that would suck.

Penguins also break your walls to nothing if your base is where the ice patch ends up. They ruined my fortifications, and cost me much stone.

Many drumsticks were eaten that evening.

Jintor

Why make the base near water instead of a road or a wormhole? When pinguins show up in ur base that would suck.

Penguins also break your walls to nothing if your base is where the ice patch ends up. They ruined my fortifications, and cost me much stone.

Many drumsticks were eaten that evening.

Cos you don't have to spend as much on fortifications. But Pengulls do fuck it up. I'm lucky they decided to camp right outside my walls, and all died off before they went feral.

Sanke__

I was doing pretty good on the king of winter in adventure mode but i couldnt resist trying to lead deerclops to the walrus encampment

Night came and i got smashed

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I was doing pretty good on the king of winter in adventure mode but i couldnt resist trying to lead deerclops to the walrus encampment

Night came and i got smashed

Oh my. It's usually best to play cautiously in adventure mode, and that's about as far from cautious as you can get.

I admire your moxie, though.

Top Bottom