• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

JJD

Found the beefalos. Great camp setup in the middle of the map, right next to huge cache of bunny holes, bees, and beefalos down the road. Huge forest next door. Day 13 saved and off to work. If I make it into winter again, I might stream this time. Got a good feeling.

How do I farm the beefalos for their wool and still have them to fight off the hounds?

Make a razor and shave then at night when they are sleeping. You can do it even with the torch equiped, just highlight the razor and press left.

They won't even wake up, but don't try this during the mating season because they will attack you.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Whose everyone's favorite character and why? I got to day 66 with Willow. Her lighter was absolutely crucial for me at some points whether it was burning down a tree to refuel my heat stone or burning down a forest when I was getting overwhelmed by mobs

I recently tried woody and his ulterior form seems almost over powered. Though I'm not sure if I like the mechanics of it

I like the idea of Woodie's ability, but in the long run it's pretty annoying. It's useful in the early going if you plan ahead a bit and knock out a bunch of resource gathering and whatnot while it's active, but the more established you get the more it starts feeling like it's just a pain in the ass that occasionally drains your health, sanity, and stamina while dumping your entire inventory on the ground.

I think Wendy, Wolfgang, and WX-78 are probably the overall best characters, but of the three Wendy takes the least time to really get rolling. Wolfgang needs massive food production to maintain his mighty form on demand and WX-78 needs Gears to get his stats up, and those ain't all that easy to come by. Wendy just needs to wait a couple days for Abigail's flower to bloom then kill something and she's golden.

Ok what about the horn?

You mean Beefalo Horns? You can't get those without killing some Beefalo.

Replicant

You mean Beefalo Horns? You can't get those without killing some Beefalo.

It depends on your luck, actually. I managed to get one without getting my hands dirty during Winter. It seems the Beefalos were desperate for some foods and started raiding some honey from the bees' beehive, pissing them off in the process. They ended up in massive war against each other. The casualties leftovers include a Beefalo horn free for me to pick up.

ixix

I kinda treat letting Beefalo die as the same thing as killing them. It's like the first law of robotics: You may not harm a Beefalo or, through inaction, allow a Beefalo to come to harm.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yes. After mating season you will see baby Beefalo wandering around.

I will leave the details to your imagination.

Sucks because I know eventually the wolves are going to be pretty constant, I imagine the beefs will run thin fairly quickly.

I kinda treat letting Beefalo die as the same thing as killing them. It's like the first law of robotics: You may not harm a Beefalo or, through inaction, allow a Beefalo to come to harm.

Fuck 'em, I just reached day 12 and they attacked me out of the blue and killed me! Next time I better build my base a little bit further away from them.

Can someone explain how you move a berry bush? The wiki says you have to fertilize it first or it will break into a twig when dug up, but that didn't happen for me. I was able to replant it, but it's barren. Can I fertilize it now, or is it too late?

Day 20. Great camp setup. Beefalos nearby. Trees, twigs, and grass all around me. Rabbits a drop away. Drying racks up. Now just need some warmer clothing, and maybe I'll survive a winter!

Edit: Also, I had Abigail with me and she died from spiders in 2 seconds. :(

ixix

Sucks because I know eventually the wolves are going to be pretty constant, I imagine the beefs will run thin fairly quickly.

They actually hold up pretty well even with large numbers of hounds. The way the hounds work is that they bark then pick a target, and they don't stream in all at once. So what happens in practice is that one hound at a time bites a beefalo, gets swarmed, and dies, then another decides to pick a fight and the process repeats. It's pretty rare for more than 1-3 of them to aggro the pack at any given time, so the damage gets spread out and the beefalos take out the hounds fairly efficiently.

I've used beefalo herds to fight hounds for games that lasted upwards of 250 days. They can outbreed the attrition from hounds rather reliably.

Fuck 'em, I just reached day 12 and they attacked me out of the blue and killed me! Next time I better build my base a little bit further away from them.

If their posteriors are red, they are not your friends anymore. Just gotta wait for 'em to simmer down.

Can someone explain how you move a berry bush? The wiki says you have to fertilize it first or it will break into a twig when dug up, but that didn't happen for me. I was able to replant it, but it's barren. Can I fertilize it now, or is it too late?

Day 20. Great camp setup. Beefalos nearby. Trees, twigs, and grass all around me. Rabbits a drop away. Drying racks up. Now just need some warmer clothing, and maybe I'll survive a winter!

Wild berry bushes never need to be fertilized. Once they've been dug up and transplanted once is when they start becoming barren. So a wild bush can be dug up without fear, but once it's been transplanted once it needs to be fertilized before it can be safely dug up again. If you try to dig up an un-fertilized, transplanted bush you'll destroy it and get a twig.

Thanks! How do I get it to not be barren?

Getting ready for winter:
mm4Ahh7.jpg

Want to get at least 10 drying racks up before the snow starts to fall . . .

yVVQ9xk.jpg

Bees to NW
Pig Village to SW
Beefalo Herd SE
Spiders to the NE

I think I'm in a good spot. Here we go.

admartian

Thanks! How do I get it to not be barren?

Getting ready for winter:
mm4Ahh7.jpg

Want to get at least 10 drying racks up before the snow starts to fall . . .

yVVQ9xk.jpg

Bees to NW
Pig Village to SW
Beefalo Herd SE
Spiders to the NE

I think I'm in a good spot. Here we go.
Seems like a good spot. :)

For me, the closet, most useful things are rabbits down south of me, and trees around me.

Still haven't found beefalos. Though I have found one pig house.

My beefalo herd is mating, and now there's 2 huge herds. Halfway through winter. Only game that compares in terms of tension and risk/reward is Dark Souls.

Sanke__

I really want to try adventure mode again now that i know what im doing but i cant for the life of me find the gate
the last two games i played i just explored the map until winter and then obviously died

First game i played i started right next to the adventure mode gate and i havent found it since

Jintor

This goddamn treeguard won't stop targeting Abi. I'm apparently free from his wroth, but poor Abi gets flower'd if she gets too close for too long.

_hekk05

Banned
Day 102 with wex. Im bored of this map. No chessboard for some reason so I cant even move into another world. No swamp so no reeds so no birdcage. Feel like gloriously suiciding.

And before you ask I explored the whole map. Adventure mode with wex is also shit. He doesn't keep the gear bonuses from sandbox mode.

_hekk05

Banned
I can't catch this boomerang for shit

On the PC, you used to use space for everything. Fighting, gathering. Now fight is F and gather is space. Also, if you used the boomerang on something, you can hold space and it will always catch it.

Now, if you hold space and there's something to gather nearby, you will do so and get hit by the boomerang. You have to hit or hold space as it is coming back. I fail it most of the time but its possible to succeed.

Edit: Alright I decided to suicide at day 104.

I still think I like Wilson the most. Or Woodie.

Died on Day 33 from Darkness.

I really had a good thing going. Great spot with resources all around. Bunnies feet from my base. Tons of time invested moving saplings and grass getting ready to harvest when winter ended. Although I never found Abigail particularly useful, Wendy was better than Willow for me, because at least she had decent sanity. Still would've preferred Wilson though.

So here's how I died. I survived the first hound attack of winter no problem with help from my beefalo herd. Then I got overconfident thinking winter was almost over, and I kept pushing darkness (in terms of getting back to my fire or getting a torch out) later and later. I never carried a torch because it annoyed me to take a an inventory spot. Well, lesson learned.

In the dead of night, the hounds came on. I panicked and took off for the beefalo with no torch. I had my heat stone, so I thought I'd be good, but I forgot to light a torch, and before I knew it, Charlie took me out. Felt like such a newb.

Here are a few pics from that run of the base, sharing a night with my winter comrades, and my record so far:

E9Ghzze.jpg

MBnGZ80.jpg

v9n76e4.jpg

Now I've got Woody, got a great spot next to the beefalo herd, and it's only day 7. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

_hekk05

Banned
IMGS

Now I've got Woody, got a great spot next to the beefalo herd, and it's only day 7. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Near the end of winter, Pengulls become aggressive and will attack anyone who comes too near. You were destined to have been attacked and possibly killed.

Now you have to worry about mating season lol.

Replicant

Near the end of winter, Pengulls become aggressive and will attack anyone who comes too near. You were destined to have been attacked and possibly killed.

Never had that experience thus far. The Pengi were my bestest friends after they dispatched no less than 4 hounds who were attacking me last night.

Now you have to worry about mating season lol.

Should I have just hid with the bush hat? Didn't think of it at the time (even though it was on my head).

_hekk05

Banned
I have no idea how to use the brush hat effectively

At night, if you have spider dens near you, just plonk down 3 firewood and sit in the bush.

If the hounds are coming, run to a nearby beehive / beefalo herd / pengulls / spider den or whatever. It doesn't work if they are already targeting you. So if they see you, its too late. If you get there fast enough, you can hide before they arrive.

Everytime your character says something is coming, they will unhide. Just hide again immediately. I personally prefer keeping a treeguard nearby to kill anything. They hit hard as f*** and if they live long enough can actually upgrade. You just have to build a tree farm away from the treeguard. Preferably more than 2 screens.

Replicant

How did we cope prior to the ability to take screenshots in console games? I just can't imagine myself going back to consoles without screenshot ability. It's just so convenient being able to show off your progress or point out your problem or helping others who happen in the same area. This games is a good example of this.

Cyborg

Stopped playing this games when out of nothing some kind of ''Eye plats'' appeard in mine base an started attacking me.

WTF are those things?

Replicant

Stopped playing this games when out of nothing some kind of ''Eye plats'' appeard in mine base an started attacking me.

WTF are those things?

I guess you can use them as some kind of a trap for the hounds. But IMO, they look better in a blaze of fire. BURN THEM. They are vile.

_hekk05

Banned
I guess you can use them as some kind of a trap for the hounds. But IMO, they look better in a blaze of fire. BURN THEM. They are vile.

Nah. The bulbs stack you know. What you do is you collect the bulbs. Then, you plant all of them close to each other surrounded with wooden flooring. The eyeplants eat each other if you put them too close together. After that, just farm leafy meats.

Or make your own hound defense I guess.

Number45

How did we cope prior to the ability to take screenshots in console games? I just can't imagine myself going back to consoles without screenshot ability. It's just so convenient being able to show off your progress or point out your problem or helping others who happen in the same area. This games is a good example of this.
I really hope Sony come good with their promise of allowing people to take control of your game to help.

_hekk05

Banned
I really hope Sony come good with their promise of allowing people to take control of your game to help.

I never really liked that part. If they could show you how to get past a certain point, but when ownership is transferred back time is rolled back so you can try, I'm all up for it.

I mean I wanna play and I wanna beat the level, you know? Maybe someone shows me how to do it, but I still wanna beat it on my own.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned.

nubbe

One of the few games I love to watch other people play, since I learn a lot from it... and it is pretty exciting to see how long they survive

Jintor

This asshole was chasing me for about three days at the end of my first winter. I would've lured him to maybe fight it out with a treeguard but Krampus killed me on the first night and I had to go respawn at an touchstone, which threw off my entire balance.

He did take out an entire herd of beefalos on the way though, so I didn't exactly lose from the situation. Rest in pieces, clan Moo-moo.

_hekk05

Banned
This asshole was chasing me for about three days at the end of my first winter. I would've lured him to maybe fight it out with a treeguard but Krampus killed me on the first night and I had to go respawn at an touchstone, which threw off my entire balance.

He did take out an entire herd of beefalos on the way though, so I didn't exactly lose from the situation. Rest in pieces, clan Moo-moo.

Wow you met Deerclops, treeguard and Krampus at the same time. Naughty naughty. I haven't even seen a deerclops yet. Heard the moans though.

Jintor

The treeguard has been hanging around since day 2. I pacified him quickly but he's always wandering around being attacked by my spider farms or whatever. He only seems to want to hurt abi though for some reason.

Withnail

Found some juicy info on the Klei twitter feed that I don't think has been posted here yet:

• A patch is coming to the PS4 version (this week?) for the autosave issue (I think this is where you lose progress if the game crashes)
  • Reign of Giants DLC is coming to both PC and PS4 (teaser here).
  • Some free future content updates are planned and where possible will be released on both platforms.
This game is awesome btw.

genbatzu

WTF are those things?

they spawn random on positions where the player is often.

i usually have them in my base when i explored a cave for 2-4 days in a row and go back...

they are usefull to kill strong enemies (the clockwork guys which drops gears, for example) or lure the dogs into it.
you just have to kill it, loot it and plant it (wherever you want).

killing is easy, the "eyes" are 1hit, but spawn fast, so kill yourself a way to the plant and smack it.

you also have to keep one thing in mind: eys will not spawn on the yellow ground (the one where you usually find stones/boulders), so use this to your advantage (e.g. change the ground of your base into it.)

Jintor

I was thinking of using wooden flooring, but do you know if the eyes will spawn on noturf as well? cos digging it up might just be easier.

I'm having some trouble using Woodie's special ability. It's awesome, but the low sanity/health/hunger after really hurts. The health/hunger parts seems pretty simple to deal with the sanity . . . damn. I saw a guy streaming who had a huge field of flowers/butterflies right outside his base, but I don't know if I can get that together before the 1st full moon.

Maybe scout out a field of flowers to run to as soon as I'm done being the beaver?

ThisOne

Starting to get a little bored of the game. I haven't seen the door on any of my playthroughs yet though so I haven't even had a chance to try Adventure Mode. Any tips for finding that door?

ixix

Found some juicy info on the Klei twitter feed that I don't think has been posted here yet:

• A patch is coming to the PS4 version (this week?) for the autosave issue (I think this is where you lose progress if the game crashes)
  • Reign of Giants DLC is coming to both PC and PS4 (teaser here).
  • Some free future content updates are planned and where possible will be released on both platforms.
This game is awesome btw.

Well that's exciting news.

Wonder if some of the free content updates will be completed versions of the partially-finished characters lurking in the game files.

Starting to get a little bored of the game. I haven't seen the door on any of my playthroughs yet though so I haven't even had a chance to try Adventure Mode. Any tips for finding that door?

Unfortunately it spawns as a random setpiece like any other, so there's no real strategy to finding it beyond "explore everywhere". I usually try to explore the full periphery of the world by skirting the coastline, then start exploring inland if I still haven't found it.

I'm having some trouble using Woodie's special ability. It's awesome, but the low sanity/health/hunger after really hurts. The health/hunger parts seems pretty simple to deal with the sanity . . . damn. I saw a guy streaming who had a huge field of flowers/butterflies right outside his base, but I don't know if I can get that together before the 1st full moon.

Maybe scout out a field of flowers to run to as soon as I'm done being the beaver?

Try to get honey production set up ASAP as Woodie. Bee Boxes produce lots of honey, which keeps for a long time and restores some health with each use. Shovel it into Crock Pots to make Taffy, which does a little damage to you but restores quite a bit of sanity.

He's kind of like Wolfgang in that way; both of them benefit a lot from setting up a robust Crock Pot operation as quickly as possible, and honey production is the fastest way to do that.

Top Bottom