• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom 3 specs hurt my soul

TheDiave

Banned
...or make me realize how out of date my computer is. I'm actually bummed that I won't be able to play Doom 3. I had the original Doom, Doom 2, Ultimate Doom, and Final Doom way back when... Even played the PSOne and N64 versions... Woe is me!

Damn you and your fucked up, convoluted programming, John Carmack... Daaaaaammnn yoouuu!

Note: If you don't believe his code is convoluted, download the source to Doom sometime.

Tenguman

Un-optimized code? The damn game can scale down all the way to a gf3 and still put out respectable framerates.

You want un-optimized, try playing Far Cry on a mid-range machine

TheDiave

Banned
I hate playing FPS on consoles.
Which is why I don't want to get the Xbox version instead of the PC (other than the obvious reason being it's a downgraded version). But I don't have the cash to upgrade the ol' comp, so it may be my only option.

I was going to get the Xbox version due to the fact that I do not have a PC, but due to a recent turn of events, I now own a 3ghz, 1gb ddr(533) ram, 160GB HD and a ATI X800 XT video card. So what better way to flex the system than to buy Doom 3. I will probably pick up the Xbox version when that comes out also.

Gantz

Banned
doom3.jpg

Iceman

If id sets up the controls on the Xbox to play like Halo then we are all set.

My trigger fingers are itching, man.

So many people are thinking that Doom 3 will break their somputer on the basis of the leaked e3 demo. But the fact is that that demo is 2 years old, and very un-optimised. Everyone will be very suprised at their preformance when the demo comes out.

Thaedolus

When is the demo coming out? I'll surely buy the PC version, but having a demo to get an idea of what it'll be like would be nice...

FightyF

Banned
So many people are thinking that Doom 3 will break their somputer on the basis of the leaked e3 demo. But the fact is that that demo is 2 years old, and very un-optimised. Everyone will be very suprised at their preformance when the demo comes out.

That's a good point...for a Newb...

:p

Iceman

so what say you to a person with a 1.2 GHz Athlon coupled with an nVidia GeForce 4200 Ti 64?

You're saying that person could still have a fun experience with Doom 3?

I play CS on XBox Live so much that I was able to breeze through the XBox Doom 3 demo at E3 while others were struggling. It was like second nature. Everyone was giving me a dirty look cause I went all the way through the demo instead of dying quickly and handing over the controller.

I think I just might have become better at FPS on a XBox controller than a mouse and keyboard. X_x

ChrisReid

Iceman said:
so what say you to a person with a 1.2 GHz Athlon coupled with an nVidia GeForce 4200 Ti 64?

You're saying that person could still have a fun experience with Doom 3?

Yeah, people with the minimum specs can still have fun with most games.

TheDiave

Banned
I was able to breeze through the XBox Doom 3 demo at E3
So as someone whose seen Doom 3 first hand on the Xbox, how comparable would you say it is to the PC version? Is it really that drastic of a downgrade?

TheDiave said:
So as someone whose seen Doom 3 first hand on the Xbox, how comparable would you say it is to the PC version? Is it really that drastic of a downgrade?

Well, it's hard to escape the fact that it's running at 640x480. So immediately, that's what you notice.

But when you get past that, it's actually pretty darn convincing. Sure, you put the PC version next to it, the differences will be noticed. But damnitifitdidn'tlooklikerealdoom3! I was impressed.

Top Bottom