• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Franchise Community Thread: That's one doomed space marine!

SparkTR

Threw on Doom 64 EX last night and played through a couple of levels (
I have an original cart I can photograph if mods need evidence? I guess it's technically against the TOS...
).

Doom 64 with mouselook is really, really easy. Like, there is no threat whatsoever easy. Need to restart on a higher difficulty - I think my old save is on Hurt Me Plenty.

That's a common issue with a lot of N64 focused shooters I've played on PC. I remember Turok 1/2 being hard as balls, but playing the PC versions with a mouse was a walk in the park.

Also Doom 64 EX has built in 360 controller support, so that could help.

G-Fex

fucking key bumping doesn't seem to work with me.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Do I got to use SR-40? I'm doing that.

Back to Saturn X is incredibly good-lookin' for a vanilla Doom WAD (it modifies the Doom 2 IWAD to increase the color palette, though), and the music's some of the best I've heard done by a mapping team, but it's already getting repetitive and, in general, seems a bit easy on UV. Some traps are only effective because I was having a bad scratch day yesterday; these 23 maps are all techbases, too, so there's only so much that can be done before it'll get exhausted.

G-Fex

I know jimmy who made the btsx music. I've talked to him a few times on twitch. He's done a real cool plutonia remix track too

fucking key bumping doesn't seem to work with me.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Do I got to use SR-40? I'm doing that.

I am not sure how to do it in doom 64ex to be honest.

Yeah, the projectiles are much slower, and the enemies seem slower too, although I'm not sure if that's just my imagination.

Absolution was harder in that regard.

Absolution is ugly as sin though haha

Threw on Doom 64 EX last night and played through a couple of levels (
I have an original cart I can photograph if mods need evidence? I guess it's technically against the TOS...
).

Doom 64 with mouselook is really, really easy. Like, there is no threat whatsoever easy. Need to restart on a higher difficulty - I think my old save is on Hurt Me Plenty.

Solution: turn off mouse look or play with a controller to emulate the hardness.

JNT

Does anybody know if there's a mod out there that tries to implement the early design of Doom, i.e. the Doom Bible?

You guys make it sound as though something crazy like SR-50 would dominate Doom 64 EX, lol.
If I recall correctly peaches (DOOM 64 speedrunner)'s method of miscalibrating the joystick to make forward movement faster actually exceeds that game's equivalent of SR-50 and breaks a lot of triggers if he doesn't slow down during certain parts.

Does anybody know if there's a mod out there that tries to implement the early design of Doom, i.e. the Doom Bible?
Numerous modders and mappers have tried, none have succeeded. If anything, the new Doom game could always try for what Hall's Bible was aiming for. Doom/Doom II/Final Doom the Way Id Did is as close as we've recently gotten to examining the developers' vision.

Also, lol @ exceeding SR-50 speeds in Doom 64.

JNT

Numerous modders and mappers have tried, none have succeeded. If anything, the new Doom game could always try for what Hall's Bible was aiming for. Doom/Doom II/Final Doom the Way Id Did is as close as we've recently gotten to examining the developers' vision.

Also, lol @ exceeding SR-50 speeds in Doom 64.

That's unfortunate. Even though I love Doom just the way it is, the prospect of playing a Doom Bible version of Doom has always intrigued me.

I know jimmy who made the btsx music. I've talked to him a few times on twitch. He's done a real cool plutonia remix track too
Jimmy91? Yeah, he's a nice guy. Actually gave us permission to use his music in SRB2, although I'm pretty sure that's ultimately not gonna happen for our next release.

Incidentally, our next release is this month. In case anyone cares.

TeamTNT was such a nebulous collaboration that only a few big names have survived early Internet history. Ty Halderman operates /idgames, Bob Evans' Odessa WAD series has recently been repackaged for all to enjoy, and Tom Mustaine lead Ritual Entertainment (SiN Gold/Episodes) until the buyout. Lastly, there's the Casali brothers of Plutonia infamy, and even speedrunner-mapper Yonaton Donner...and Jim Flynn...and Lee Killough...and Roger Ritenour...welp, I just disproved my argument, though they aren't doing anything as a team anymore. There's a full member list here, for those curious.

Thinking about going ahead and firing up a NeoGAF server (I'm not sure I can host indefinitely though). How do I use the email tag for passwords again? Is it [ email = mypasswordhere ] nothing between the brackets [ /email ] ?

Also what wad should we play? I usually adjust the settings based on the .wad (right now it is fast monsters, lose half ammo for harder wads but I could turn on NIghtmare for vanilla DOOM/DOOM 2.)

Wow. Bob Evans. That thread was fun to browse through.
People were so starved for puzzle WADs, apparently, that they pestered the poor guy to upload it all onto /idgames for a change. It'd be fun to buy up old retail packs of possibly-lost custom WADs, find the authors somehow and get everything back up online.

UDMX series has gotten good reviews, but there's also recent award-winners like Eon Deathmatch (built in mind for mouselook, jumping and crouching, all peripheral to classic Doom DM). FFA deathmatch would be ideal, and we can always put on classics like Greenwar or the Doom IWADs.

Oh, I actually prefer to run coop games in .wads that are single player style level sets (rather than horde mode style mass enemy stuff) and set the player limit to 4, and if more people want to play I can start up separate servers. I usually just turn off jumping.

Refyref

I'd say rotating WADs every once in a while (say, once a week) can keep a server fresh, and help discover many of the mods out there. No need to keep to a certain mode, either.

Usually a new .wad is started when one is completed. I don't know if there's a way to rotate .wads automatically though, especially ones that require other resources.

Refyref

Usually a new .wad is started when one is completed. I don't know if there's a way to rotate .wads automatically though, especially ones that require other resources.

Unless there is no conflicting content between them, so you can just jump to the map of one after you finish another, there is no way, since Doom requires all files to be loaded at startup.

I've kinda wanted to try 32in24-13 in MP for a while, now. I actually contributed to that one (MAP29, as well as the title/intermission MIDIs).

Zandronum would probably be the source port of choice here. I know there are alternatives like ZDaemon and Odamex, but Zandronum's the one I see used most often.

Just having an IRC channel would let me know when to turn the game on at least.
I forget; Rizon is the server most GAF chatrooms use, right? I know EsperNet has #zdoom, at least.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So doesn't anyone else play Doom 64 EX yet? It's great, I've got to finish it soon.
I introduced my friend to DOOM 64 last year or so and he played through it blind on a Twitch stream. It was awesome to watch someone discover it for the first time. He thought the DOOM port on the N64 was just another port like PSX DOOM. He was pleasantly surprised.

I even got him to the secret level exit in level 1. I forget if he was able to actually beat it or if he just left. But that level is amazing to watch someone try for the first time. Such a troll level.

Alright, so the plan is:

- Make #doomgaf on Rizon
- Use that channel to decide what to play and when to turn on the server, others could also host a game if they wanted
- worry about a perm server later

This will require me to figure out how to register a channel, unless somebody else wants to do it.

This is gonna blow once we get shoved into Community. :|

32-in-24's more focused around CTF, so we could try that mode sometime. Zandronum's not for classic online FFA and dueling, but it works great for modded play and easy compatibility (though most of these WADs are often BOOM-based anyway).

G-Fex

If I recall correctly peaches (DOOM 64 speedrunner)'s method of miscalibrating the joystick to make forward movement faster actually exceeds that game's equivalent of SR-50 and breaks a lot of triggers if he doesn't slow down during certain parts.

Right, Neutral Reset. They're actually trying to implement that in the next DOom 64 EX update.

TeamTNT was such a nebulous collaboration that only a few big names have survived early Internet history. Ty Halderman operates /idgames, Bob Evans' Odessa WAD series has recently been repackaged for all to enjoy, and Tom Mustaine lead Ritual Entertainment (SiN Gold/Episodes) until the buyout. Lastly, there's the Casali brothers of Plutonia infamy, and even speedrunner-mapper Yonaton Donner...and Jim Flynn...and Lee Killough...and Roger Ritenour...welp, I just disproved my argument, though they aren't doing anything as a team anymore. There's a full member list here, for those curious.

Casali brothers were geniuses!
Oh, I actually prefer to run coop games in .wads that are single player style level sets (rather than horde mode style mass enemy stuff) and set the player limit to 4, and if more people want to play I can start up separate servers. I usually just turn off jumping.

Yeah It'd be very cool to run something like Firetop Mountain v.2

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I've lost in an inordinate amount of my life to the Doom franchise.

I even played Doom 3 through 3 times, the last time on the hardest difficulty restarting if I died on a level at all.

G-Fex

I finished Doom the way ID did.

I don't know, I am torn on it. In one way I like the idea , but I also it just became such huge big levels that you could get lost in and that's just 2 maps into Episode 1. Length , confusion and getting lost wasn't uncommon. Ep 3 despite a pain of all the demons and getting a rocket launcher late (probably cause I missed some secrets), is more tolerable than Ep 2.

Eh I'm just conflicted I don't know.

TUROK

I finished Doom the way ID did.

I don't know, I am torn on it. In one way I like the idea , but I also it just became such huge big levels that you could get lost in and that's just 2 maps into Episode 1. Length , confusion and getting lost wasn't uncommon. Ep 3 despite a pain of all the demons and getting a rocket launcher late (probably cause I missed some secrets), is more tolerable than Ep 2.

Eh I'm just conflicted I don't know.
Protip: Don't ever play Knee Deep in ZDoom. Most complicated and confusing WAD I've ever played. Ridiculously well-done, but goddamn is it beyond confusing.

G-Fex

I heard about knee deep in zdoom. Before I go to D2twid I might ..MIGHT give Doom 2 in Name Only another chance or maybe Alien Vendetta.

Last time I didn't like Doom 2 in name only wad but there's the fifth beta so..maybe it's better.

Eternal Doom used to have some of the more ambitious, potentially confusing maps in the community; I'm not yet finished with Evilution and Plutonia, so it'll be a while before I know for myself.

Deimos Lab and Command Center today, the former being pretty easy and the latter surprisingly challenging. It's both the difficulty of the latter map and my getting used to CQC with keyboard controls, I think. Deimos Lab's music is 2spooky for me...fucking faces in the walls!

For some reason, I was unable to finish Nostromo's Run, even after scouring the whole timeline of events and areas yet unexplored in the map. Weird, since it's mostly well-designed.

Raptomex

We despise Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold (Columbine shooters), and rightfully so, however, Eric's map, UAC Labs is pretty decent. I enjoyed playing through it. Not very complex but not horrible either.

TUROK

We despise Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold (Columbine shooters), and rightfully so, however, Eric's map, UAC Labs is pretty decent. I enjoyed playing through it. Not very complex but not horrible either.
I like the added gore sprites.

Raptomex

I like the added gore sprites.
Is it horrible to say I would have gotten along with them maybe even been friends? I would have never gone along with the shooting but anyone who loves Doom could be a friend of mine.
Please stop adding to my backlog, guys, it's driving me nuts. We're supposed to be doing our own mapping anyway!
I've been working on my first map on and off. Doom Builder truly is amazing. So easy and fluid. My first mapping experience was with Source SDK and Counter-Strike: Source. I never really got the hang of it and all my maps were simple.

Romero's hosting LAN FFA at GDC if any of you guys are going.

John Romero said:
Monday/Tuesday:
11:15am-12:15pm
4:30-5:30pm

Weds:
11-12pm
2-3pm

Thursday:
10-11am
2:30-3:30pm
4-5pm

Friday:
11:30-12:30pm
2:30-3:30pm

Deathmatch is happening pretty much all day long, but those are the times i'm guaranteed to be playing. See you there!
Too bad this starts on the 17th, since that's after my spring break (badges are probably sold out anyway).

I was playing Nova (a recently made .wad I got off of Doomworld forums) and while I didn't have much to say on it at first I have to really praise at least the first several levels' use of the lower tier enemies by utilizing the level layout and being limited to Shotgun and Chaingun (where some of the beefier enemy types are only occasional and more spectacular comparatively) instead of just giving it all in the first few levels and hitting the difficulty ceiling too early.

Fully navigated Shores of Hell with keyboard controls. I'm finally able to appreciate the Barons' attack patterns—they fire diagonally both to corner you and hit you where they think you're going (which, in a circle strafe, means left or right of them). The Cyberdemon battle gains a new dimension simply because I can't circle-strafe them like I could otherwise, and so I made sure to clear out every Lost Soul and ammo cache along the way. First three maps of Inferno play great so far; Slough of Hand starts out harder than it ends, and Pandemonium's crazy but not too challenging, which is disappointing. I'm good enough with these keys now that I'm sort of replaying my previous UV run. House of Pain will play different now that I can't mouselook, thankfully.

Played some of Nova, really like having to use pistol and shotgun more often than not. First two maps are high quality, a great start. Winter's Fury is fucking nuts btw: a bit more linear than usual, but more non-linear than I expected. It's a great GZDoom demo. with lotsa scripting, wondrous visuals and effects, and a great first map giving a sneak peek to the rest of the WAD. Most of the file size is MP3 streaming, for those curious.

Top Bottom