• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Franchise Community Thread: That's one doomed space marine!

Not just that, they were working on adding all of the stages that didn't make it into the PS1 version into a separate add-on pack - a "Lost Levels" WAD, if you will.

IIRC, they have betas of it out now.

G-Fex

I just played through 7 levels of the PSX version of Ultimate Doom thanks to you. Seriously, I had no idea this was modded into the PC version.

I love the PSX version of Doom. So damned atmospheric.

Glad you enjoyed it! Best thing is no episodes so you keep your weapons.

Not just that, they were working on adding all of the stages that didn't make it into the PS1 version into a separate add-on pack - a "Lost Levels" WAD, if you will.

IIRC, they have betas of it out now.

indeed. I played through about 22 levels of the lost levels...when I stopped cause I found out there was 72 LEVELS

But in all that i played, spirit world, living end, DIS, Downtown, Suburbs.

Downtown and Suburbs are hilarious due to the height differentials and making the buildings ridiculous and small. Wish I had my archive videos of them

Grayman

I know DOOM 3 is the ugly duck of the group. And I recently played through the main game and expansion RoE without a lot of expectations or take aways so I won't comment on those . It was just kind of there. Some good parts, boring parts. And then I played 6 (of 8) levels of the BFG editions "Lost Mission". More of the same.

But the last two levels of that add on actually impressed me a bit! Bigger rooms, lots of baddies in lots of directions (rather than forward or back), fair amount of light, copious amounts of HELL. Here's some ugly steam shots.

Sure felt a lot more like Hell than the other parts of the game.
I hope DOOM 4 is more like that! Only a couple months we learn more about the beta or whatever it is.
I may have to check those out. Doom 3 had a really good hell.

Fun fact: using the consoles level command on doom 3 to skip to wherever gives the player a decent amount of appropriate gear for that part of the game.

You play enough DOOM, you quickly understand which control sets WADs were designed for around their release. I'm going to restart Evilution with keyboard controls, for example, and the same for Plutonia.
Icon of Sin help me when I get to Plutonia

Raptomex

I may have to check those out. Doom 3 had a really good hell.

Fun fact: using the consoles level command on doom 3 to skip to wherever gives the player a decent amount of appropriate gear for that part of the game.
It did? We weren't in Hell long enough to find out. I just felt the lack of Hell was disappointing. Most of the game took place in the base. But the Hell levels were a nice change of scenery.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It did? We weren't in Hell long enough to find out. I just felt the lack of Hell was disappointing. Most of the game took place in the base. But the Hell levels were a nice change of scenery.
Agreed. The small amount of Hell we got was great but it was so short and disappointing. I wanted more of the later stuff and less of the early stuff.

Raptomex

So I'm almost done completing my first map ever. It's a small map for vanilla Doom 2. I'm just trying to see what I can do with everything I've learned so far. I'll put it up for testing just to see what people think and to get some feedback.

Raptomex

Vanilla-compatible or built traditional? Just curious, since these terms can get bandied around with abandon.
Yeah, I don't know how to put it. There's no special source port features. I just used the Doom 2 wad and used whatever it had to offer in Doom builder. I've been at it for the last 2 weeks on and off. I just need to create the exit and work on enemy and item placement.

TUROK

still in beta dude.

Plus check the GL options in video options it should be set to dark and not standard or legacy.
Dark makes it even darker. I'm going to stick to standard. I'm on Doom 2 now, anyways, so I can handle the darkness.

You play enough DOOM, you quickly understand which control sets WADs were designed for around their release. I'm going to restart Evilution with keyboard controls, for example, and the same for Plutonia.
Icon of Sin help me when I get to Plutonia
Are you playing with the standard keyboard controls? Arrows for movement and turning and such?

One thing to keep in mind that DOOM has controls for straight up strafing without limiting your turning (the < and > keys on an IBM keyboard) and they can be changed.

I'll use SR50 for maps I know how to play, not those I don't. Good advice on Strafe L/R binds, though—nowhere near traditional controls, I think, but a good medium between traditional and keyboard+mouse.

I'd argue that the strafe bindings are part of the traditional controls, just that most people didn't think to use them in advanced ways at first. Especially important for hard .wads that probably did take them in account but were still pre-mouse look era.

For the stuff I'm playing right now (1995 through to release of source code, so Memento Mori, Evilution, Hell Revealed, &c.), non-traditional maps deserve non-traditional controls, and so these binds are probably perfect.

Got further into into Nova. What a well made wad. You have to use ammo so carefully and we quite weary of your HP.

Also... the weapon and monster progression is really awesome. I have happened to find a lot of weapons before you normally would get them due to secrets. It is quite a fulfilling feeling to find one of these rarer weapons before the game would usually give you them.

What a great wad.

I remember seeing YT vids where you can use demon's weapons as a mod. Having a coop mod where a bunch of people play as the demons and try and take out the other team, a single player being Doomguy might be a cool application though.
The trick is to give demon players agency of some sort, since basic free movement will be needed to get in position when fighting the Doomguy player(s). Nailing the stats for each demon character will take time!

Kydd BlaZe

I know DOOM 3 is the ugly duck of the group. And I recently played through the main game and expansion RoE without a lot of expectations or take aways so I won't comment on those . It was just kind of there. Some good parts, boring parts. And then I played 6 (of 8) levels of the BFG editions "Lost Mission". More of the same.

But the last two levels of that add on actually impressed me a bit! Bigger rooms, lots of baddies in lots of directions (rather than forward or back), fair amount of light, copious amounts of HELL. Here's some ugly steam shots.

Sure felt a lot more like Hell than the other parts of the game.
I hope DOOM 4 is more like that! Only a couple months we learn more about the beta or whatever it is.

Doom 3 is one of my favorite shooters of all time. So fucking good.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Another reason to care about the strafe bindings: makes playing on a laptop with a crappy touchpad viable.
Which is why I'm on a laptop with an amazing Magic Trackpad. I can't play FPS games with a mouse. And I've completely given up on playing them with a controller. But on my MacBook Pro I am amazing at FPS games. This includes Minecraft and third-person games too like Tomb Raider and Alan Wake.

People who play with Keyboard/Mouse or Controller look at me like I'm crazy. I look at them and wonder why I'm the only sane one. :p

People who play with Keyboard/Mouse or Controller look at me like I'm crazy. I look at them and wonder why I'm the only sane one. :p
/me reads this in Abed's voice.

Nova sounds like a Cacoaward candidate, partly because it's up to snuff despite the team being new to mapping. It'll probably have competition from Doom II in Name Only and the various The Way id Did projects (though Final Doom TWID will probably come out in 2015).

The new controls are working better for circle strafing, but either my muscle memory's not good enough with them yet or I feel a little less precise navigating environments.

TUROK

I'm not really familiar with the Doom speedrunning community, but are they all done keyboard-only, and if so, do the keys have to be bound a certain way to qualify?

I'm pretty sure they use the mouse.

EDIT: Map 10 on Nova is really one of those [doom intensifies] *.gif of a rapidly shaking cacodemon* moments. I got scared into saving more than I should.

It hasn't been uploaded to /idgames yet, but Switcharoom's amazing even in alpha. The premise is that each map takes the original layout and transposes it to a different episodic theme&#8212;for example, Hell Keep (E3M1) becomes Phobos Keep (looks like E1M1, some layout differences). Then up next comes Perfect Plant, taking E4M2 and dressing it as E1M2! And so forth; the end results are always enlightening, showing how abstract some design concepts are once the visual imprints we have of certain maps get replaced.

Switcharoom's already getting a Doom II-based sequel (Switcheroom?), by the by (that means you, Shadow Hog!).

I think #doomgaf is officially dead. Had a lurker visit but then left soon after.

I think I found a bug when I was playing on Map10 of Nova, where after
grabbing the soulsphere that causes everything to go to heck and makes the doors stop working, stepping on the hidden teleporter that takes you out and lets you grab blue armor leaves you trapped outside.

G-Fex

Whitemare 2 is out

made by the russian doom community it's pretty amazing once you get past the snow levels.

some REALLY great mapss I saw in action yesterday.

0MAv5Ta.png

KnmnvG4.png

465fUFc.png

mokeyjoe

Which is why I'm on a laptop with an amazing Magic Trackpad. I can't play FPS games with a mouse. And I've completely given up on playing them with a controller. But on my MacBook Pro I am amazing at FPS games. This includes Minecraft and third-person games too like Tomb Raider and Alan Wake.

I play with a trackball (thumb) . I bought one for rsi reasons but once I got used to it's as good as a mouse for me. I'd love it if console controllers had trackballs. So much better than a stick.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I play with a trackball (thumb) . I bought one for rsi reasons but once I got used to it's as good as a mouse for me. I'd love it if console controllers had trackballs. So much better than a stick.
I look forward to trying out a Steam controller because it looks like it might kind of work like two Magic Trackpads in a controller shape. I might actually like using it.

But then again, I might not. If only I could try one out myself somewhere.

Raptomex

If you go to the Brutal Doom Moddb page, there's some BD fan add-on's there. This Quaker Add-On pack is awesome. Some great new sound effects and he re-added the chain gun.

I have to imagine there are some Wolf fans in here. Check out ECWolf. I think it's based off ZDoom but pretty awesome if you loved Wolf 3D and SoD. Also, Wolfenstein 3D Total Conversion. I haven't played that in a while. It's a pretty great effort, though.

If you go to the Brutal Doom Moddb page, there's some BD fan add-on's there. This Quaker Add-On pack is awesome. Some great new sound effects and he re-added the chain gun.

I have to imagine there are some Wolf fans in here. Check out ECWolf. I think it's based off ZDoom but pretty awesome if you loved Wolf 3D and SoD. Also, Wolfenstein 3D Total Conversion. I haven't played that in a while. It's a pretty great effort, though.

Dude thank you for this. God I love BD.

TUROK

I'm going to give this a shot. After I'm done with PSX Doom, I'm going to do a Brutal Doom run. Should be fun.

Hey, did anyone ever play the Equinox wad? I just remembered how hard the last level was.

Raptomex

I'm going to give this a shot. After I'm done with PSX Doom, I'm going to do a Brutal Doom run. Should be fun.

Hey, did anyone ever play the Equinox mod? I just remembered how hard the last level was.
I played some of Equinox the other week when testing out Project MSX. I didn't finish it, though. But what I played was cool.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For some reason ZDoom stopped letting me load PWADs. Not sure why. So I downloaded GZDoom and it's so much better. It even does the lighting effects correctly. I should have done this before!

Though I had it freeze my computer when exited it after loading the DOOM Metal 3 and Brutal DOOM WAD files. I don't know why but it doesn't seem to be doing it anymore.

I just wish it had a PWAD selection area where it would store frequently used PWADs and let me toggle them on and off instead of having to browse for them all the time. So I could turn Brutal DOOM off if I want to but have it usually on.

So I'm almost done completing my first map ever. It's a small map for vanilla Doom 2. I'm just trying to see what I can do with everything I've learned so far. I'll put it up for testing just to see what people think and to get some feedback.

Using Doom Builder? I wish I had the patience and understanding to make a map.

orfax

So a number of years ago I got back into Doom for a while, during lunch times at work. My work were cool with me playing Doom and various mods during lunch on there PCs. A few of us even played together for a while (until I left). Anyway the thing I got into wasn't so much Doom but the mods and playing on various source ports, depending on what the mod required. What sparked my interest was this site The Top 100 WADs Of All Time, which (unlike what the title says) were only mods from the first 10 years of Doom.

My favourite wad was Cyberdreams. Oh man that was cool. Over a series of levels you had to fight cyber demons, but you weren't given any weapons. You had to find ways to kill them within the environment. It was more of a puzzle game than anything else. Loads of attempts, loads of cyber demons. Loads. Some of the levels were difficult, but I managed to get through them all.

I just wish it had a PWAD selection area where it would store frequently used PWADs and let me toggle them on and off instead of having to browse for them all the time. So I could turn Brutal DOOM off if I want to but have it usually on.
ZDL for Mac would be nectar and ambrosia, especially if it streamlined my current issue(s) with ZDoom.

you guys ever play Batman?
No, but I'm taking a look at ZanZan, which seems absolutely off its rocker.

Top Bottom