• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Franchise Community Thread: That's one doomed space marine!

Evilution (first half of Final Doom) is very solid so far, and the portion of Plutonia I've played is so fuggin' brutal I love it. Definitely going to play Thy Flesh Consumed after Inferno, too.

Check this out:

UPzydMa.jpg

Bethesda's putting it out in high-quality resin for $100 ($275 less than MSRP) online while supplies last. My wallet shall not have to suffer such injury.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I have that boxed DOOM version. Those original PSX big boxes were awesome back then. So much wasted space for no reason, but who cares? Awesome large manuals and huge cover art. The Saturn didn't even get that good of a cover. And the Jaguar, 32X, GBA and SNES versions all had the regular official art. But they were all still better than the bland Saturn and less bland N64 covers.

I have that boxed DOOM version. Those original PSX big boxes were awesome back then. So much wasted space for no reason, but who cares? Awesome large manuals and huge cover art. The Saturn didn't even get that good of a cover. And the Jaguar, 32X, GBA and SNES versions all had the regular official art. But they were all still better than the bland Saturn and less bland N64 covers.
To be fair, the Japanese Saturn release uses the same art as the PS1 release (although cropped, because different aspect ratios for the boxes; PS1 uses a tall box, JP Saturn uses a bog-standard jewel case).

NBtoaster

I got the PSX version a year ago. The differences between all the different versions of Doom are interesting. Weirdest are the Doom 2 enemies scattered through the first game; like there's a Pain Elemental in E1M1.

G-Fex

I got the PSX version a year ago. The differences between all the different versions of Doom are interesting. Weirdest are the Doom 2 enemies scattered through the first game; like there's a Pain Elemental in E1M1.

I really liked that. The change up is very cool, I think you only see doom 2 enemies on Ultra Violence difficulty.

lighting and music was great in PSX version.

I recommend the PSX Total Conversion for everyone to try. Best thing this side of having the physical copies

The DOOM 2 enemies in DOOM 1 was my favorite part of DOOM PSX besides the superior music and visual atmosphere. It also meant that a lot of Barons of Hells got replaced by the less bullet spongey Hell Barons.

Also shows how well a gamepad works for DOOM. Shoulder pads for strafing, D-Pad for turning and doing circle strafing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's nice that all the different console versions had different level selections and layouts. It's just too bad that many of the versions were running on hardware that couldn't even support the game well at all.

Some had no music. Some had to use different textures. Some had lower resolution sprites with less frames or only the front view. SNES had no textures on floors and ceilings.

G-Fex

I don't know, D-pad kinda gets on my nerves a bit for me with PSX doom, maybe cause i'm using to the mouse speed of quick turning.

PSX is probably the most viable alternative to the PC version due to having the best ratio of sacrifices made to improvements made. Most other console versions I have seen seem to make some crippling sacrifice. Like I forget if it was Jaguar or 3DO but there was a screen size slider for a console game and you had to play at the smallest setting for a good frame rate, and you thought 2014's resolution gate is bad.

I don't know, D-pad kinda gets on my nerves a bit for me with PSX doom, maybe cause i'm using to the mouse speed of quick turning.
It was built to put keyboard only controls on a gamepad, which obviously you can't do with a mouse (actually I think the game DID have mouse support as stated on the packaging, now that I think about it, except I have never seen a PSX mouse in my life). I believe they also nerfed the enemies to account for the added difficulty handling the controls.

G-Fex

it does make for a good challenge.

In a way, it's a lot easier to control than the PSN Doom complete pack. Twin sticks work but sometimes it's weird.

Also here's http://www.twitch.tv/kingdime playing some Doom 64.

I know I promote him too much but he's great and Doom 64 EX is great looking.

Playing with mouse/no freelook's apparently a faster way to play than with keyboard, but I imagine most people played with the latter up until Final Doom's release.

Doom 64 actually looks really neat, will have to try it with EX once I buy the game.

Levyne

Banned
I am looking at the next title in my backlog, and I am looking at DOOM 3 :eek:

Time to see what this game was all about.

Doom 1 KB is done! Everything's pretty easy after Mt. Erebus, the toughest map of the bunch. Just for kicks, I put on the first two maps of Thy Flesh Consumed at UV, subsequently raging like never before. Hell Beneath is apparently the hardest map of the episode (seems to be a tie between it and its immediate successor): limited ammo, lots of sergeant and baron spawns, Sign of Evil playing,
NIN
, and a double-back progression that makes the most of limited space. McGee, you so crazy. Romero one-ups him with Perfect Hatred. It's not a perfect hatred per se—there's only one consistent way to off the barons in the west room (moving to the edge of the center room's leftmost platform and shotgunning them!), which adds one too many a puzzle element to the map. But the opening wave of cacodemons/infighting cliques started really well, and the map's a genius effort in centralized design and earned surprise (first time I've telefragged a Cyberdemon). Excellent challenge maps, hoping the rest of the episode plays well despite the drop in difficulty.

I'm going back to keyboard/mouse now, but keyboard only's a viable way to play older WADS and TCs.

mokeyjoe

It's nice that all the different console versions had different level selections and layouts. It's just too bad that many of the versions were running on hardware that couldn't even support the game well at all.

Some had no music. Some had to use different textures. Some had lower resolution sprites with less frames or only the front view. SNES had no textures on floors and ceilings.

SNES version also only had sprites from head on. TBH though the fact that they got a decent version of Doom running on the 16 bit SNES is impressive enough for me.

SSG in Nova doesn't come until halfway through Map08 and
it was guarded by a Baron
. The mapmakers truly understand.

EDIT: Map09 is a massive troll (spoilers for monster layout)
hallway filled with chaingunners, and after you clear them out the next corner has an archvile to revive them.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
SNES version also only had sprites from head on. TBH though the fact that they got a decent version of Doom running on the 16 bit SNES is impressive enough for me.
They did use te SuperFX chip too which was the only way they could pull it off. Shame it was still too slow. Imagine if they had a much faster chip, maybe we'd have had floor textures.

SSG in Nova doesn't come until halfway through Map08 and
it was guarded by a Baron
. The mapmakers truly understand.

EDIT: Map09 is a massive troll (spoilers for monster layout)
hallway filled with chaingunners, and after you clear them out the next corner has an archvile to revive them.

Not true. Found it in a secret on like level 5 :D

I still don't understand why my ZDoom (Mac build 2.7.1) will only play PWADs once before reverting to the base IWAD; there's no autoexec.config in my Documents path either, which feels like an oversight. Gonna stick with GZDoom for WADS and mods, at least that fucking works.

On another note, Hell Revealed's good stuff, the first five maps being challenging enough without too much weird stuff. And I gave the first map of Mordeth a run, wot a sight!

Hell Revealed eventually becomes a set of slaughter maps (with actual level layouts as opposed to what you might see on a survival server). I could never get past level 12 or 13 on my own because it requires being good at speedrunning DOOM on the UV-Max category. Needless to say it was my first pick for when I decided to run a Coop server awhile back.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I still don't understand why my ZDoom (Mac build 2.7.1) will only play PWADs once before reverting to the base IWAD; there's no autoexec.config in my Documents path either, which feels like an oversight. Gonna stick with GZDoom for WADS and mods, at least that fucking works.
ZDoom's configuration is called zdoom.ini and it's in ~/Library/Preferences/.

You can set .WAD files to open with ZDoom and it'll let you choose the IWAD to use before loading it.

And the config .ini will let you choose WAD or PK3 files to always load on a per-game basis or an all encompassing basis. (For instance I have Metal DOOM Volume 3 set to always load for any DOOM game since it includes music for both DOOM and DOOM II.)

I will admit though that I wish ZDoom's Mac version had a launcher more like DoomsDay. I only switched to it because DoomsDay had bad graphics effects and my screen recorder didn't like it. But now ZDoom seems to have some faulty lighting effects and doesn't set fullscreen properly on my Retina MBP. I really wish they'd fix that. I need to keep it set to windowed in order to keep it from breaking and it sucks that it doesn't even let me set a custom window size.

What's GZDoom like? I'll have to check it out. I just want one that works right. Especially with fullscreen on my Retina display. I'd prefer one that had a Windowed Fullscreen mode though. Especially if it supported OS X's Lion-style fullscreen. That's all I want. Minecraft supports Lion FS. I love it. I just want a modern DOOM engine that does too.

ZDoom's configuration is called zdoom.ini and it's in ~/Library/Preferences/.

I know that, been toying with it for an hour.

You can set .WAD files to open with ZDoom and it'll let you choose the IWAD to use before loading it.

And the config .ini will let you choose WAD or PK3 files to always load on a per-game basis or an all encompassing basis. (For instance I have Metal DOOM Volume 3 set to always load for any DOOM game since it includes music for both DOOM and DOOM II.)
Well, the real problem is that there isn't any fast-as-hell launcher for any file paths I set up. I recall getting autoloads to work, but changing the config file all the time would piss me off. GZDoom's set up in a way that I don't have to worry about this at all, so I'm going with that until I can figure out a faster set-up for swapping file paths.

I just drag the WAD onto the executable when I want to play it <_<

(Granted, this only works for the ZDoom family, and I have to use ZDL or similar for other source ports, but still)

Yeah, that doesn't work the second time either. I'm thinking I might try an earlier version of the Mac binary and see how it handles this problem (might not be an issue with bugfixes?).

TUROK

Hell Revealed eventually becomes a set of slaughter maps (with actual level layouts as opposed to what you might see on a survival server). I could never get past level 12 or 13 on my own because it requires being good at speedrunning DOOM on the UV-Max category. Needless to say it was my first pick for when I decided to run a Coop server awhile back.
I beat Hell Revealed on my PSP on Hurt Me Plenty. I'm still proud of that one. I also beat it on PC on Ultra Violence, but it felt like more of an accomplishment on PSP.

"to kill an assortment of humans and monsters"

Demons, ESRB!—they're all demons. Maybe not pinkies, but definitely demons from Hell, perhaps taking the form of humans! Like yourselves, you rating rascals...you are the demons!

IDK about the ESRB, but the MPAA's horrifying, so my disdain's global. At least these guys will leak out the possibility of, say, Final Doom on XBLA.

Lettuce

I recommend the PSX Total Conversion for everyone to try. Best thing this side of having the physical copies

What, What! Whats this....The PC version with PSX lighting, music, sound effects and enemy placements???

Little known fact, in the PSX version there was going to be enemies called nightmare imps that were like the darker transparent Demon, and a magazine called Maximum here in the UK actual had a screen shot of one, but apparently never made it to retail release as Williams wanted the game out for Xmas that year

What, What! Whats this....The PC version with PSX lighting, music, sound effects and enemy placements???

Little known fact, in the PSX version there was going to be enemies called nightmare imps that were like the darker transparent Demon, and a magazine called Maximum here in the UK actual had a screen shot of one, but apparently never made it to retail release as Williams wanted the game out for Xmas that year

They then made it into D64 :D

Lettuce

They then made it into D64 :D

Yeah. Here the pic....

itfnrXltbfOeL.jpg

Weird that Nightmare Imps didn't make it in but Blue Pinkies did.

And yes, I have played PSX TC and it was good. I think there was even a thread where they were "downporting" the geometry of levels that didn't make it in and adding a difficulty mode that sped the enemies back up to PC levels.

Lettuce

Yeah what i would like is the PC version, but with PSX:

Lighting
Sound Effects
Ambient Music
Enemy mix up

Oh and club doom

Doh...

Could someone post the menu pathway to the OpenGL setting in Zandronum? Apparently my system doesn't like it. The OpenGL off console command isn't working so I'm going to need to navigate to the setting blind and shut it off.

Thanks in advance.

Just launch Zandronum from the command-line with "+vid_renderer 0".

That said, I thought Zandronum asked you every time you started it which renderer you wanted, on the IWAD selection screen.

Just launch Zandronum from the command-line with "+vid_renderer 0".

That said, I thought Zandronum asked you every time you started it which renderer you wanted, on the IWAD selection screen.

That did the trick. Thanks.

I'm running on a Mac and I never see the renderer request.

TUROK

I'm playing through it right now. It's dark as FUCK sometimes.

Levyne

Banned
I know DOOM 3 is the ugly duck of the group. And I recently played through the main game and expansion RoE without a lot of expectations or take aways so I won't comment on those . It was just kind of there. Some good parts, boring parts. And then I played 6 (of 8) levels of the BFG editions "Lost Mission". More of the same.

But the last two levels of that add on actually impressed me a bit! Bigger rooms, lots of baddies in lots of directions (rather than forward or back), fair amount of light, copious amounts of HELL. Here's some ugly steam shots.

Sure felt a lot more like Hell than the other parts of the game.
I hope DOOM 4 is more like that! Only a couple months we learn more about the beta or whatever it is.

I'm playing through it right now. It's dark as FUCK sometimes.
You know what game's dark as fuck? SiN Gold. I love it, but it won't reciprocate each and every time I have to navigate an air duct or locate some odd breakable grate well within the void...turning up the brightness helps little!

Those Doom 3 screens look amazing. Petersen would be proud.

Gattsu25

Banned
I really liked that. The change up is very cool, I think you only see doom 2 enemies on Ultra Violence difficulty.

lighting and music was great in PSX version.

I just played through 7 levels of the PSX version of Ultimate Doom thanks to you. Seriously, I had no idea this was modded into the PC version.

I love the PSX version of Doom. So damned atmospheric.

Top Bottom