• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Xyber

There was a pretty sizable section of the foundry map that I couldn't figure out how to access. The on the map it showed a path leading to it but in game there's a wall in the way.

This right? I ran around there for a while and then just gave up. I'm assuming it's some hidden area and you had to find a way to open it, because it seemed very silly to show it on the map but there was just a damn wall there.

yGAyq8n.jpg

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This right? I ran around there for a while and then just gave up. I'm assuming it's some hidden area and you had to find a way to open it, because it seemed very silly to show it on the map but there was just a damn wall there.

Yeah its accessed via a hidden lever.

I would encourage you to look for it, not consult youtube lol but some people prefer that way.

mokeyjoe

I was struggling to find this last night and gave up. I think there's a secret passageway from another part of the level or something, I'll look for it tonight. The map sometimes does that, what looks like a pathway is actually a wall.

Ixion

Remember we're pretty far into the future, so there could be some trippy, vertical futuristic cityscapes on earth infused with plenty of imagination.

Exactly. DOOM is far into the future, so Earth would be a lot different than it is now. It would be open to the developer's imagination.

So it wouldn't be just another modern post-apocalyptic game like this:

52726b8e-5ae4-4a38-8d65-962916f15912_zpsvq6323z4.jpg

Instead it would be more futuristic, allowing for more interesting movement, like this:

c1dbaa52-c73e-45b2-95ab-8e20d5bf1db4_zpsrlujdojt.jpg

...but with more Satan.

Levito

Banned
It looks like getting all the achievements in the game isn't that tough, can anyone confirm? If so any guides you can recommend?

Xyber

Yeah its accessed via a hidden lever.

I would encourage you to look for it, not consult youtube lol but some people prefer that way.

Cool, will go back and look for collectibles and shit when I'm done with the game. But right now I'm just waiting for that Vulkan patch. ;_;

T.O.P

Banned
I was struggling to find this last night and gave up. I think there's a secret passageway from another part of the level or something, I'll look for it tonight. The map sometimes does that, what looks like a pathway is actually a wall.

Search for a lever :)

Schnozberry

If you're having inexplicably slow performance on PC, make sure Driver Verifier is completely turned off. I'm on Win10 64-bit and I'm not sure if it was a patch or a software installation that triggered it, but driver verifier was on and robbing me of quite a bit of performance. It was literally night and day.

BashNasty

I shouldn't score this game but if I had to based on 3 Missions... it's a 7, where Wolf was pushing 10 by this point. I'm slowly getting into it but it isn't blowing my mind as much as it seems to with others. I cannot stress enough for people to try Wolf if you like this.

I strongly disagree with the idea of pushing Wolfenstien New Order as a better Doom, they're very different games. Wolf has hitscan weapons on the enemies while doom doesn't. That's a massive, massive difference and the reason I find Doom to be a far better game than Wolf. Being able to dodge projectiles further increases the movement opportunities and simply makes the game a ton more fun. I find it interesting that people often overlook wheather or not a game has hitscan weapons as if it's not a huge deal, but in my opinion it's the single biggest differentiator in how a first person shooter will play. It's the reason (one of the big ones anyway) why Destiny is a far, far better game than the division. Being able to dodge projectiles is just plain fun!

I also find the gun feel in doom to be far better than Wolf, but I could see some personal preference changing opinions there.

Moff

after doing the toe into madness achievement (finish the first level on ultra nightmare with perma death) I kinda miss this mode. I wish they did something more with this. it felt much more intense than normal nightmare, but there is no way I can finish the game like this and play the first levels over and over and over again.

Snapmap needs work big time, idk if they will which is sad thanks to consoles but 12 AI limit needs to GO. I had 6 shield demons on my side and it affected the spawns, it limited the amount of other npcs that can spawn to attack us... that killed the experience when it went from lots of enemies to just some because you have AI monsters on your side that counts towards enemies.

Izuna

Banned
I strongly disagree with the idea of pushing Wolfenstien New Order as a better Doom, they're very different games. Wolf has hitscan weapons on the enemies while doom doesn't. That's a massive, massive difference and the reason I find Doom to be a far better game than Wolf. Being able to dodge projectiles further increases the movement opportunities and simply makes the game a ton more fun. I find it interesting that people often overlook wheather or not a game has hitscan weapons as if it's not a huge deal, but in my opinion it's the single biggest differentiator in how a first person shooter will play. It's the reason (one of the big ones anyway) why Destiny is a far, far better game than the division. Being able to dodge projectiles is just plain fun!

I also find the gun feel in doom to be far better than Wolf, but I could see some personal preference changing opinions there.

Not that it's a better Doom game but...

Anyway I think I can sum it up like this. DooM is a snore when the difficulty is low enough that there isn't the feeling of achievement when beating an arena. Wolf had it's difficult moments, but even the easier parts felt great.

Of course it comes to personal preferences, but even regular doom is "easy enough" on UV, so it feeling rather boring in DooM told me that I don't necessarily like the gunplay, I just like the challenge.

Any game feels rewarding if it challenges a set of skills you have almost mastered.

Destiny, tbh, I have played a lot of it despite how easy it gets, but that's a whole other sort of "reward" going on there. There's classic Skinner's Box systems all over the place.

I assume that the addition of Runes and more weapons will slowly make DooM feel a lot better. I upgraded the Shotty fully with the explosive rounds and it makes it feel better, but it wasn't very impression until then.

Wolf feels great regardless of what weapon you use, without upgrades too.

I don't know, perhaps Glory Kills never feeling satisfying is me being jaded with a big mechanic of the game.

Drewfonse

Such a fun ride, just beat it. Will play it through again, no doubt.

Anyone else one x1 have this weird weapons switching problem?

It fucking switched to the combat shotgun as my secondary...all the freaking time, even when neither of my weapons was out of ammo. Playing against Bosses like that and having to rechoose my weapons regularly while getting torched was not fun.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah so, this is far easier to play without auto-aim. I'd like to upload a clip of my play but the internet where I'm at is garbage.

Such a fun ride, just beat it. Will play it through again, no doubt.

Anyone else one x1 have this weird weapons switching problem. It fucking sswitched to the combat shotgun as my secondary...all the freaking time, even when neither of my weapons was out of ammo. Playing against Bosses like that and having to rechoose my weapons was not fun.

I don't know, but there are a few Pad-use issues that this game has that baffles me.

There is no real analogue movement so if you stop completely and try to move up you could get stuck moving slowly. And...

By choosing another weapon, you are choosing the NEXT weapon to be replaced. Which is different from every single FPS I have ever played on console:

Weapon 1: Shotty
Weapon 2: Rocket Launcher

When you have Weapon 1: Shotty out, and you choose Plasma Rifle in the wheel, you end up with...

Weapon 1: Shotty
Weapon 2: Plasma Rifle...

I get tripped up over this so many times.

Daximuss

Just published a new snapmap that I think you guys will like.

Code:YGLGV78F
TITLE: Tales of Sci-Fi and Suspense #1

Let me know what you think of it.

Thanks!

sorry but is there any way to record gameplay on PC?
Open Broadcast Software has local recording, with the Shadowplay codec also supported where applicable. FRAPS is junk.

Started playing this last night and didn't stop until almost 4am.

I just finished Uncharted 4 and Ratchet and Clank, this was next on the list.

Loving it a lot, but I feel the challenges and looking for the secrets and such really ruins the pacing of the game. I don't want to stop to search around a level or backtrack, I just want to keep fighting.

I hate when games can't have that proper balance between both. It just ruins the pacing. Seeing as how you need to search for these collectibles to get a majority of the upgrades it quite dissapointing IMO.
If anything, it's the forced talking sections with Hayden and whoever else which last minutes on end that "ruin" the pacing, rather than a core facet of DOOM's gameplay that's been there since its inception. Never mind that upgrades aren't as mandatory as you think they are.

Destiny, tbh, I have played a lot of it despite how easy it gets, but that's a whole other sort of "reward" going on there. There's classic Skinner's Box systems all over the place.

I don't know, perhaps Glory Kills never feeling satisfying is me being jaded with a big mechanic of the game.
What a dark pit of hell the shooter landscape would be if hypothetically speaking they start mimicking Destiny's design.

Also, Glory Kills are only a minor component with their diminishing returns, the intricacies of the chainsaw and it becoming relatively easy to get yourself in a problematic position on the highest difficulty without the speed boost + faster animations runes.

Neiteio

People who have beat the game: Which battle would you say was toughest?

There's definitely a difficulty spike at the first Hell level, but the most challenging encounter for me was the last battle of Mission 12. Holy shit!

Grexeno

So there are definitely areas you have to replay levels with future gear to get right? In the 2nd level, by the time I unlocked all the doors, the way back was blocked off, and some ledges clearly were not accessible without the double jump.

Baalzebup

So there are definitely areas you have to replay levels with future gear to get right? In the 2nd level, by the time I unlocked all the doors, the way back was blocked off, and some ledges clearly were not accessible without the double jump.

Negative. You can get everything in one go.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I'm confused about bosses in this game.

I'm at Lazarus Station and I don't think I've actually fought a boss yet? Or do first encounters with certain demons count as a boss fight?

Strange the way the difficulty works in this game, the hardest level is probably
kadingir sanctum
even though it's about half way through the game. I probably died in that level more times than in the rest of the game combined. there's a difficulty jump and you don't have all the top upgrades at that point. Once you get the mastery on the super shotty, full praetor suit and siege mode on the gauss it's pretty much GG. Still a load of fun and a great game overall.

I was parsing through the guide and it did have a few asterisks stating "second time through." I didn't see what they were though.

I think it's possible to get ALMOST everything, but not 100%.

Moff

ok I did that running snapmap with the cacodemon store now and that was pretty cool, I can see the potential of snapmap now

I tried to do one of the survival maps but when I searched for a game it simply hosted one and no one ever joined, am I missing something?

Unit24

I'm confused about bosses in this game.

I'm at Lazarus Station and I don't think I've actually fought a boss yet? Or do first encounters with certain demons count as a boss fight?

All of the bosses are in the second half of the game. You'll know them when you see them.

Neiteio

You can get everything in one go. I didn't move on from a mission until I had done it 100%.

Top Bottom