• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
There is no confusion as to what a boss fight is in this game.

I see. Well, I thought I was nearly done the game, hence my confusion, but it appears I actually haven't battled a boss yet. Woohoo! Something to look forward to!

Izuna

Banned
I think it was Mission 3, but I reached a PNR and just hit last checkpoint and I was able to backtrack.

I decided to play up to Mission 4 on UV and take a more leisurely play before continuing with Nightmare play through. I think Doom is just trying to reteach people certain skills we needed to play through Quake back in the day (I'm not that old though). Jump, 180 shotty. Dodging and aiming at the same time etc. I think this game would be almost impossible to play properly if you weren't clawing or using paddles...

People who have beat the game: Which battle would you say was toughest?

There's definitely a difficulty spike at the first Hell level, but the most challenging encounter for me was the last battle of Mission 12. Holy shit!

That's the one where you arrive on the train, right? Yea, thats the hardest fight for me, no question. Shit STARTS with two barons...then the Cacodemons, Pinkies, CyberMancubus...relatively cramped area, not a lot of teleporters or lifts for you to panic and escape with, dont remember if there was a power-up either...the mission 13 stuff is easier cuz they give you such a wide area to run around in, here you're just stuck.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Total War Doomhammer
bKTd090.png

Tansut

So is there a general consensus on whether this is a a reboot or sequel to the first two games? The lore seems to indicate pretty clearly that
you're the Doomguy from those games and you're brought back to essentially kick ass
, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't interpreting it wrong or something.

Moff

So is there a general consensus on whether this is a a reboot or sequel to the first two games? The lore seems to indicate pretty clearly that
you're the Doomguy from those games and you're brought back to essentially kick ass

I didn't follow the story that closely but at the end I had the feeling this was not connected to the first games.
these knight doom guys seemed to imply that this is what they referred to and not the events of doom 1 and 2

It's a
stealth sequel

If you're having inexplicably slow performance on PC, make sure Driver Verifier is completely turned off. I'm on Win10 64-bit and I'm not sure if it was a patch or a software installation that triggered it, but driver verifier was on and robbing me of quite a bit of performance. It was literally night and day.
What is this driver verifier? Where can i find it? Sorry if it's a silly question.

AlterOdin

Just finished, a highly enjoyable campaign, love the old-school + some new-school approach.

My main complaints would have to be
the boss fights. All of them was just a open flat arena with a tanky boss, and some pattern recognising. The cyber-demo was fine, but when the two following bosses, more or less copying this, it was a little letdown. Wished they had a bit more complexity to them, not to mention some architectural/geometry to them. Felt way more bad-ass at the arena fights during the regular missions.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Been playing for 6 hours, but looking at a mission list I'm only halfway it seems
(hell).
, which is my least favorite level so far.

Egg0

Banned
Just beat the
Hell Guards
fight. The boss fights in this game are so fun, I fear I may be close to finishing it :(

It's a sequel hundreds of years later.

Don't worry in Doom V, you play as Punished Venom Doomed Marine as you try to take down Samuel Hayden and his network of corporations and hell legions.

Only to find out you were actually just a brainwashed hell raiser, while the real DoomGuy was busy taking down the Icon of Sin.

Just beat the
Hell Guards
fight. The boss fights in this game are so fun, I fear I may be close to finishing it :(

Not quite in the home stretch but you are getting there.

SMG

There's definitely a difficulty spike at the first Hell level, but the most challenging encounter for me was the last battle of Mission 12. Holy shit!
the hardest fight for me was the one you ride into atop of a train. A Carckathing and two giant dudes there from the off.

Neiteio

That's the one where you arrive on the train, right? Yea, thats the hardest fight for me, no question. Shit STARTS with two barons...then the Cacodemons, Pinkies, CyberMancubus...relatively cramped area, not a lot of teleporters or lifts for you to panic and escape with, dont remember if there was a power-up either...the mission 13 stuff is easier cuz they give you such a wide area to run around in, here you're just stuck.
Yep, that's the one. If I recall correctly, I start out by one-shotting the distant Cacodemon with the Gauss Cannon's siege mode. Then I have a few seconds to gather shit nearby before the two Barons (and two Revenants, iirc) drop onto the train platform. It's not long before Imps are also all up in my ass throwing fireballs everywhere. I usually take out the lot of them on the platform before dropping down, by which point more Cacodemons are on my tail, and Lost Souls are bombarding me out of nowhere. More Revenants show up, but shit really gets real when the Cyber Mancubi appear on the scene. At that point I chainsaw through them, only for the Pinkies to start rushing me down (and more Revanants, why are there so many Revenants). And when I'm done with -them-, there's another Cyber Mancubus, and two more Barons of Hell, and then a regular Mancubus to round things out. I'm sure there's more that I'm missing. Goddamn, that fight is HARD.

Moff

my hardest fight was the one right after you get the chainsaw. funny thing is I beat it the first try but wanted to get back before I hit the checkpoint but got squished in the elevator. after that it took me 20 tries to beat it again. early nightmare you just don't have enough weapons and with that not enough ammo. I beat it on ultra nightmare though.

the late game fights where all easy because I had most of the upgrades. died maybe 4 times tops on the encounters.

Perhaps the battle before deactivating the third thingy near the end of the game? Honestly the whole game on UV felt fairly relaxed though. The arsenal was so grotesquely powerful and it always felt like I had all the room in the world to maneuver.
I might be willing to replay if NM didn't feel so soul crushingly difficult by comparison.

I fell through the world just now when I was performing a glory kill on a cacodemon.

I didn't mind because that meant I got to do the fight all over again.

Just beat it on ultra violence. Absolutely fucking phenomenal game. Double jumping around at 90mph headshotting fools with the Gauss cannon is pure bliss

Can anyone does the PC version come on a disk at retail?

Yeah but it only has like 8 gigs of the game, it installs some of it and downloads the rest of the 55gb. I know because a friend of mine on my steam list bought a digital copy for me and a physical PC copy for himself(his internet isn't very good) and he told me and we talked about it for like thirty minutes.

Poor guy, he was so mad, and I feel for him even with good internet that shit takes forever. I dread the days when we get to 100gb games.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I'm seriously jealous of all the fun you guys are having, this game just didn't click with me and I can't figure out why.

I don't think I've seen a game so enthusiastically loved on NEOGAF, it's great to see.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Hardest part for me was, IIRC, right after you get the BFG.

Tunnel with two pinkies that charge you, into the room with an elevator where you basically fight fuckin' everything.

Then a small cooldown into a lockdown that pits you vs. two barons. Might have just been the room layout or something since they actually give you a TON of resources to clear everything but I got hung up there for a bit. Probably the sketchiest checkpoint in the game for me too.

epmode

Yeah but it only has like 8 gigs of the game, it installs some of it and downloads the rest of the 55gb. I know because a friend of mine on my steam list bought a digital copy for me and a physical PC copy for himself(his internet isn't very good) and he told me and we talked about it for like thirty minutes.

Bluray adoption on PC is pretty low and publishers don't want to pay for multi-DVD retail copies.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
surprised how incredible this is, my computer hard locked while trying to catch that bitch olivia so i had to quit for the night. the weapon progression is amazing

arimanius

Am I the only one getting crashes on the PS4? I can't complete a MP match and single player crashes a ton too. I've googled and didn't see anyone complaining.

PnCIa

One of many neat little touches that i love about this game is that you are inside a huge space marine suit of armor but there is no obnoxious "you are inside a helmet" sort of HUD there like in Halo 5 for example. Shit like this just takes away FOV.
They even display parts of the inside of your helmet when you pick it up at the beginning of the game, just to remove it a second later. I love that, id knows whats good.

I know the 12 enemy limit in snapmap is stupid but if youre creative it shouldn't get in the way too bad. I'm working on 2 maps right now and when played the enemy limit should never even be noticed or felt.

Top Bottom