• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 BETA 2 |OT10| Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't know, the price might be too much for it to go mainstream

That thread about oculus costing "up to 1500$" for all the tech was fucking hilarious.
I think if they are able to do widespread in-store demos, I think that would help. It's something you really need to experience to understand. When I played Elite: Dangerous on the thing. I looked down and could see the pilots hands on the controls. I scratched my head and was thown off by the fact that the pilots hands weren't moving.
And then they'll see it costs as much as a new PS4 and say "well that was cool" as they walk out empty handed.

Hylian7

I really don't know, the price might be too much for it to go mainstream

I think if they are able to do widespread in-store demos, I think that would help. It's something you really need to experience to understand. When I played Elite: Dangerous on the thing. I looked down and could see the pilots hands on the controls. I scratched my head and was thown off by the fact that the pilots hands weren't moving.

Artanisix

Valve made their own Cookie Clicker
WutFace.png
EleGiggle.png

Hylian7

That thread about oculus costing "up to 1500$" for all the tech was fucking hilarious.

And then they'll see it costs as much as a new PS4 and say "well that was cool" as they walk out empty handed.

Just like how people are still buying video cards that cost upwards of $500?

I don't think VR will take off too much in the console market, but in the PC space I think it has a lot of potential.

I know but it's still more expensive than a TV and it's pretty much made for PCs because consoles will struggle with that shit

I think we can say Sony will win the virtual reality war
lol they never learn

Hylian7

I think at the very least, VR might end up like the 3DS: Have a poor first year or so saleswise, then a bunch of good games that support come out and the thing takes off and sells like hotcakes.

Just like how people are still buying video cards that cost upwards of $500?

I don't think VR will take off too much in the console market, but in the PC space I think it has a lot of potential.

Not that many people are buying video cards for 500$. If hypothetical company 'Blue' made video cards only in the 500$ range, they would likely not even bother marketting to the average consumer -- the same people who are going to either make or break VR. Just wait until people have consoles or 200$ GPUs that can run those games at the 60/120fps required for a smooth experience and then VR has a shot. Barrier to entry is ridiculous at the moment, and that's what's going to keep VR a niche device, eventually either rising to popularity with the new tech or crashing and burning as hardware makers decide it's not worth the continued investment.

the Oculus press conference felt like a microsoft conference circa 2010 (which is appropriate since MS was there)

Not a lot of content but with a lot of awkwardness as filler

And saved the actual interesting reveal for when everyone already stopped giving a shit

Anyways I hope there's spectator mode for DOTA in VR coming, I think it would be a cool way to watch the game.

I was watching early on and C9 had like 15 kills advantage, what the hell happened, now the game is stalled even with megas.

EE always with the worst calls.

Hylian7

This may seem like a dumb question, but what exactly is the appeal of Manta on Gyro as opposed to other items?

It's not really a great damage item and the illusions don't get Flak Cannon. The only real attractions of it is the dispel, move speed, making it hard to tell which one is the real one (although that goes all out the window as soon as you use a spell, and you'll probably use Flak Cannon), and to a lesser extent, the stats. I'd rather have an MKB though to put out substantial damage through Flak Cannon. If I really need a Dispel I can get a BKB, which protects me from other shit too. I mean I guess if the only disable is something like a silence, then maybe you could go Manta instead of BKB so you get the other benefits that BKB doesn't provide, but beyond that I don't see the point in Manta on Gyro.

I still disagree on the Dusa thing. Dusa gets Split Shot on the illusions, I think that is something that makes Manta worthwhile on her.

That's what I figured, SnY, MKB, and BKB are much better.

illusions deal literally 0 because dusa has crappy agi gain anyways, and you build mostly raw damage. also they die in two hits because no mana shield and shit str gain
manta is mostly for purging, dodging and illusion heroes (ie pl tb am naga and I'm probably forgetting one or two. tiny too for obvious reasons)

edit : if you want MS just keep your yasha and don't upgrade it. phase should suffice, then you have skadi to not get kited. you're not keeping manta in a 6 slots situation anyway (unless theres some heavy shit to purge but I can't think of any and at that point on a game you'd ask a support to get lotus orb instead). the illusions really are crap

Hylian7

Actually I don't think I ever got to chime in in here on the Manta Dusa thing back when that argument was going on as I think I was banned at the time.

I'm on the pro-Manta Dusa side, for a few reasons.

1. Obviously the dispel is still appealing.
2. Move speed is great for her, as it helps her position or reposition herself during her ultimate.
3. Medusa is an AoE carry. She hits everyone with Split Shot, and Manta Illusions gain Split Shot if you had it on when you used it. This is effectively a damage increase for her, especially if you get people turned to stone from Stone Gaze. The Spirit Breaker gif/webm is a bad example because that's just one hero, a very tanky one at that, and no other skills are being applied beyond the illusions plinking away at him. Really the way it's used it walk into a teamfight, Stone Gaze, Manta, and hit everyone with your split shot on. Ideally you should have other items to back this up, maybe Butterfly, MKB, Skadi, or whatever else.

The point is that often people compare Medusa and Gyro and they are actually very different. They are only similar in Flak Cannon vs Split Shot, however they are very different. Medusa basically is tanky, rolls into a fight and just puts out continued damage on everyone, and with the team helping, they start dying. With Gyro, it's usually Call Down, Flak Cannon everyone, and then missile and Rocket Barrage for any stragglers. Of course you will Rocket Barrage multiple times in a teamfight since the cooldown is so short. However once Call Down and Flak Cannon are down, Gyro's AoE damage output drops significantly. I would say Medusa is a "sustained teamfight" carry while Gyro is more of a "one and done" carry. Neither is particularly bad, just different and are useful in different situations (although of course Gyro is in general stronger this patch, but Medusa is still great)

illusions deal literally 0 because dusa has crappy agi gain anyways, and you build mostly raw damage. also they die in two hits because no mana shield and shit str gain
manta is mostly for purging, dodging and illusion heroes (ie pl tb am naga and I'm probably forgetting one or two. tiny too for obvious reasons)

Luna is also a primary Manta carrier, the illusions get Moon Glaive and benefit from aura.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This game hardly works. I click upgrade but I'm not getting any levels at all.

Wok

Actually I don't think I ever got to chime in in here on the Manta Dusa thing back when that argument was going on as I think I was banned at the time.

I'm on the pro-Manta Dusa side, for a few reasons.

1. Obviously the dispel is still appealing.
2. Move speed is great for her, as it helps her position or reposition herself during her ultimate.
3. Medusa is an AoE carry. She hits everyone with Split Shot, and Manta Illusions gain Split Shot if you had it on when you used it. This is effectively a damage increase for her, especially if you get people turned to stone from Stone Gaze. The Spirit Breaker gif/webm is a bad example because that's just one hero, a very tanky one at that, and no other skills are being applied beyond the illusions plinking away at him. Really the way it's used it walk into a teamfight, Stone Gaze, Manta, and hit everyone with your split shot on. Ideally you should have other items to back this up, maybe Butterfly, MKB, Skadi, or whatever else.

The point is that often people compare Medusa and Gyro and they are actually very different. They are only similar in Flak Cannon vs Split Shot, however they are very different. Medusa basically is tanky, rolls into a fight and just puts out continued damage on everyone, and with the team helping, they start dying. With Gyro, it's usually Call Down, Flak Cannon everyone, and then missile and Rocket Barrage for any stragglers. Of course you will Rocket Barrage multiple times in a teamfight since the cooldown is so short. However once Call Down and Flak Cannon are down, Gyro's AoE damage output drops significantly. I would say Medusa is a "sustained teamfight" carry while Gyro is more of a "one and done" carry. Neither is particularly bad, just different and are useful in different situations (although of course Gyro is in general stronger this patch, but Medusa is still great)

Luna is also a primary Manta carrier, the illusions get Moon Glaive and benefit from aura.

I agree with points 1 and 2, but point 3 is not very convincing: I have yet to meet a Medusa who would be dangerous because of her illusions. Point 3 should have been: you pick Yasha to farm faster, and naturally upgrade it into a Manta.

Install 8.1 on HD, get SSD, install 8.1 on SSD, and wipe HD.

Or wait.

oh, wait. Install on SSD and then do this:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/con...rsonal-folders-my-documents-another-drive.htm

with all your libraries. I currently have 3 hard drives. SSD for OS/Some Games/Some Software, HDD for all other software, HDD for general files. pretty painless to set up if you do it immediately. Pain in the fucking ass if you do it after installing some shit.

**Bulba what are you doing... That was so bad

TUSR

Banned
oh, wait. Install on SSD and then do this:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/con...rsonal-folders-my-documents-another-drive.htm

with all your libraries. I currently have 3 hard drives. SSD for OS/Some Games/Some Software, HDD for all other software, HDD for general files. pretty painless to set up if you do it immediately. Pain in the fucking ass if you do it after installing some shit.

**Bulba what are you doing... That was so bad
Yeah, I'm just going to wait until I get the SSD to install the OS. As much as I want to use the computer is rather not install everything twice.

What are the specs of the whole build?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/c2Q8qs

manfestival

this solo ranked lose streak i am on is so demoralizing

Literally have played every position to try to be a team player and its never enough

Haven't been able to finish any challenges in ages, either because I forget or because we get stomped, Halp!!

Latest challenge:

Deny 2 towers
Re roll challenge
Do 1k hero damage in one second.

I get 960 with timbersaw one game, then I get 940 with earthshaker another game.
Fuk

Might as well just change the challenge to press R with level 16 zeus.

inkls

Latest challenge:

Deny 2 towers
Re roll challenge

I get 960 with timbersaw one game, then I get 940 with earthshaker another game.
Fuk

could also just pick qop and have a multiman scream, the deny one btw also counts if its your teammates who deny the tower btw

Latest challenge:

Deny 2 towers
Re roll challenge

Fuk

yeah zeus is your best bet, I have been stuck with deny 1 tower and end racks before 30:00 for about a week.
facepalm.gif

unbelievable shit game

luna keeps dying solo like a fucking idiot with agi treads on the whole game
axe gets a rather fast blink, does nothing with it
LC 0 duel damage
couldn't even hit proper ice blast cause team got wiped so the enemy could just move out of the area
only phoenix was good but a phoenix ain't carrying a whole team

dac15_tired.gif

(notice the epic tower damage with a luna axe lineup)

yeah zeus is your best bet, I have been stuck with deny 1 tower and end racks before 30:00 for about a week.
facepalm.gif

Hard challenge hard life. I don't have much luck with tower deny either. No way am I getting two in one game though.

could also just pick qop and have a multiman scream, the deny one btw also counts if its your teammates who deny the tower btw

Yeah. Ironically I don't think I've ever won a game when we get the tower denies.

Shinypogs

Holy shit I haven't spammed clicked this much in a game since diablo 3. Just give me free cards so I can sell them and buy hats valve. Speaking of cards I imagine this international will have player trading cards again they're just taking their sweet time releasing them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom