• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 BETA 2 |OT10| Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Watching Redeye at ESL frankfurt 2014 is what got me into watching E-sports
even though he didn't understand the game, he still gracefully managed the tempo and focus of that panel
especially the awkward mess of maelk
and the event a true joy to watch. He showed genuine interest in the game and its teams. Also him shutting down twitch chat after it being disgusting to Soe is one of the things that makes me hopeful about the games industry as a whole.

His absence in the next 2 ESL panels was definitely felt by me, they both felt more jittery(?) in comparison.

After ESL he did this massive AMA on r/dota2 and really embraced the community. It was just really really great. He just feels so earnest and on the beat.

I get all that. I understand he's a nice guy (that Twitch chat thing is like a personal fantasy I have. I wish I could just ban everyone from the internet that ever says the word "tits" in Twitch chat) but I'd still take someone with intimate knowledge of the game hosting its premiere, annual event over just a cool guy. There are personalities in the Dota scene that have put in years and years of work within this game's community. Redeye hasn't put in the work and it shows every time he hosts a Dota event.

Jezbollah

Redeye seems like the TV Presenter type that decided to "get into" eSports to be his career. Not saying that's a bad thing, but even with Starcraft he comes across as host primarily as a TV friendly wrapper to coverage than being any kind of genuine enthusiast for the core supporters. And it shows.

I wonder if ESPN were not involved if he would be presenting.

I know I'm in the minority but I'm surprised the Dota community at large likes redeye so much. That guy doesn't know shit about Dota. It's not like Kaci where it's an endearing thing to have a novice on the beat. He sits at a table and pretends to know what he's talking about it and it makes me cringe every time he hosts an event.

he has more esports knowledge/credentials than everyone at that event combined.

show some respect to an OG.

I bet you like Admiral Bulldog.

edit: wow at these millennials that have no clue about their esports heritage.

Haunted

Redeye was already casting Quake tournaments when Artour Babaev was still shitting in his diapers, you goddamn kids.

Having someone with experience in the esports arena but who is largely outside the little Dota 2 bubble is actually super key for a balanced broadcast. Just like a duo of commentators ideally incorporates one play-by-play guy in concert with a colour commentator, a good analysis desk has a proper host, a statsman and a couple ex-players/coaches.

No mate, they want plop dank memes and awful personification of twitch chat for it to be good.

Love how 2GD was accepted as a host when he had less knowledge at that stage.

Apparently esports started when the first international came around.

You pathetic wheatus listening fanny dragons

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Redeye seems like the TV Presenter type that decided to "get into" eSports to be his career. Not saying that's a bad thing, but even with Starcraft he comes across as host primarily as a TV friendly wrapper to coverage than being any kind of genuine enthusiast for the core supporters. And it shows.

I wonder if ESPN were not involved if he would be presenting.
smfh

I've talked to him for a few minutes when he had to cast my shitty game, actually had played my shitty game, and gave it a damn good cast. He's genuine as fuck.

inkls

No mate, they want plop dank memes and awful personification of twitch chat for it to be good.

Love how 2GD was accepted as a host when he had less knowledge at that stage.

Apparently esports started when the first international came around.

You pathetic wheatus listening fanny dragons

Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office.gif

go take your pills old man. Sorry if some of us weren't around when the dinosaurs existed

Haunted

dream analysis desk

Code:
Host                  - Redeye
Statsman              - Nahaz
Analyst #1 (serious)  - Merlini
Analyst #2 (funnyman) - Pyrionflax
Analyst #3 (optional) - random team captain

Now that's a desk with some fucking decorum.

They could always let a loopy interviewer loose on cosplayers and let Tobi cast games if they think that esports still has to have the cringeworthy, amateur stuff to feel "genuine".

kionedrik

dream analysis desk

Code:

Imho I'd swap Pyrion for Draskyl and get Synderen (or someone else without any major stick up their asses) in there. No need for a resident "funnyman" when you can get jokes and funny comments from their interactions.

Haunted

It's fine, we all know Bruno is going to be raised from a hole in the stage and take over anyway. We sports entertainment now.
Some guy sneaks on the analysis deck with a Bruno mask and costume while evading security, then rips off his Bruno mask and underneath is
Sting

tumblr_m6rnxsN6Rr1qhgb5lo1_400.gif

Smithy C

It's one of those days when you lose a 70 minute game because your carry disconnects for 3 minutes and the other team keeps unpausing.

I'm gonna go flip some desks.

Jex

I keep winning games with Gyrocopter. My win rate is currently 75% or some nonsense with the hero which makes me feel like he's going to get enough nerf. Or perhaps players just need to learn to deal with better?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I keep winning games with Gyrocopter. My win rate is currently 75% or some nonsense with the hero which makes me feel like he's going to get enough nerf. Or perhaps players just need to learn to deal with better?

People still underestimate the Barrage change.

It's just very weird when the best way to deal with a range hero is to stay the fuck out of its melee range and pubbies can't handle it.

Chris R

You don't need a funnyman at the desk. You need a funnyman for all the stuff that happens away from the desk and in between games, just make sure it's actually funny and don't do it between EVERY single set.

Hylian7

People still underestimate the Barrage change.

It's just very weird when the best way to deal with a range hero is to stay the fuck out of its melee range and pubbies can't handle it.
Yeah, for sure. That Barrage change easily makes him the best level 1 hero in the game, and since the super bounty runes exist, level 1 capability is more important right now than it every has been.

I mean this is a reason people get boots on him so quickly, because of you can run up in their face and Barrage, it is probably a kill. If you random Gyro, I would say get Boots right out the gate, no question.

dream analysis desk

Code:

They could always let a loopy interviewer loose on cosplayers and let Tobi cast games if they think that esports still has to have the cringeworthy, amateur stuff to feel "genuine".
Lol pflax is the definition of cringe and shite

Quesa

smdh people complaining about techies while bloodseeker, qop, and BB are out there winning games with two fingers

I'm gonna get dumped by an hot grill tonight, can't wait.

I'm sure techies did that too

good luck, bud. It's hard out there.

BearPawB

Banned
Trying to broaden my hero base while doing the 10 hero challenge.
A "support" for my dota career, this has been a fun experiment

After a humiliating first Ember match, my second was much smoother
http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1591267080

I died a lot towards the end when I shouldn't have, but medusa gets scary when you go that long.

Really fun hero when you are ahead. Way less of a fun hero when you are behind.

Hylian7

Trying to broaden my hero base while doing the 10 hero challenge.
A "support" for my dota career, this has been a fun experiment

After a humiliating first Ember match, my second was much smoother
http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1591267080

I died a lot towards the end when I shouldn't have, but medusa gets scary when you go that long.

Really fun hero when you are ahead. Way less of a fun hero when you are behind.

I remember I was learning Ember a while back and yarden24 gave me what was probably the best advice for it: Ember has odd "peaks". Early game he can be pretty strong, and being aggressive with him can pay off, mid game though you have to back off and farm, or you will get punished for it. Then late game you get to become a monster again.

So basically I would consider Ember's effectiveness over time to be like two bell curves with a trench in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom