• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 BETA 2 |OT10| Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valve wasn't obligated to give anything at all for people spending their money willingly, I say it's really nice of them to recognize those that gave an extra push and made possible this tourney to be one of the biggest ones (in terms of money) yet in the history of e-sports.

Would be cool if we knew how many people got a 1000+ compendium at the end of the event.

how you can sit there complaining about techies when Undying is out there ruining lives

Undying at least has the courtesy to end games quickly.

Techies turns the game into something else entirely and then saps the fun out of it for as long as possible.

bounchfx

if there's one thing valve knows how to do, it's
exploit their fanbase
make money

honestly it is pretty cool, but I think it's less of a way to 'reward people with 1000 compendium level' and more of a carrot on a stick for those that aren't already at 1000.

DrPizza

Banned
Give me ur gold antimage weapons if you get them.

I'm actually fucking stunned.

Level 1044. I now have two spare gold Luna shields, 2 spare Nightstalker sets, and 2 spare Shadow Fiend arms, along with 3 gold Effigy blocks... but still no fucking gold Anti-Mage bashers. Not even one set.

Trying to figure out my budget, but I don't think I'm going to be able to come up with enough extra cash before TI5 to get to level 1000. Oh well.

TUSR

Banned

Level 1044. I now have two spare gold Luna shields, 2 spare Nightstalker sets, and 2 spare Shadow Fiend arms, along with 3 gold Effigy blocks... but still no fucking gold Anti-Mage bashers. Not even one set.

image.php

gold luna set

What's gross about it? It's a reward for people that spent something like $400 actual dollars. I don't really see an issue with that honestly.

It's obviously designed to make a bunch of people who already spent a lot of money on the compendium something extra to spend towards if they already feel like they've gotten all the content Valve can provide. It makes me feel like they're specifically targeting whales and people who like looking at a number, rather than people legitimately interested in having a piece of memorabilia, which kind of rubs me the wrong way.

It feels like something Blizzard would do.

Hylian7

It's obviously designed to make a bunch of people who already spent a lot of money on the compendium something extra to spend towards if they already feel like they've gotten all the content Valve can provide. It makes me feel like they're specifically targeting whales and people who like looking at a number, rather than people legitimately interested in having a piece of memorabilia, which kind of rubs me the wrong way.

It feels like something Blizzard would do.

It's a nice bonus that you have to spend over FOUR HUNDRED US DOLLARS to get.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
When Valve secedes from the union to form the first online sovereign country, I'm going to renounce my citizenship pronto.

Both of them.

i think i got ddossed

Code:
Received unsolicited/spoofed/late packet from 162.254.195.70:27017.  Ignored.
Received unsolicited/spoofed/late packet from 162.254.193.70:27049.  Ignored.
Received unsolicited/spoofed/late packet from 185.25.182.225:27034.  Ignored.
Received unsolicited/spoofed/late packet from 162.254.192.71:27022.  Ignored.
Received unsolicited/spoofed/late packet from 162.254.195.70:27043.  Ignored.
Received unsolicited/spoofed/late packet from 162.254.192.71:27015.  Ignored.
Received unsolicited/spoofed/late packet from 162.254.192.72:27042.  Ignored.
Received unsolicited/spoofed/late packet from 162.254.192.70:27029.  Ignored.
Received unsolicited/spoofed/late packet from 162.254.192.70:27023.  Ignored.
Received unsolicited/spoofed/late packet from 185.25.182.225:27026.  Ignored.
Received unsolicited/spoofed/late packet from 185.25.182.225:27045.  Ignored.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
i think i got ddossed

Code:
Received unsolicited/spoofed/late packet from 162.254.195.70:27017.  Ignored.
Received unsolicited/spoofed/late packet from 162.254.193.70:27049.  Ignored.
Received unsolicited/spoofed/late packet from 162.254.195.70:27043.  Ignored.
Received unsolicited/spoofed/late packet from 162.254.192.71:27015.  Ignored.
Received unsolicited/spoofed/late packet from 162.254.192.72:27042.  Ignored.
Received unsolicited/spoofed/late packet from 162.254.192.70:27029.  Ignored.
Received unsolicited/spoofed/late packet from 162.254.192.70:27023.  Ignored.
Received unsolicited/spoofed/late packet from 185.25.182.225:27026.  Ignored.
Received unsolicited/spoofed/late packet from 185.25.182.225:27045.  Ignored.
I don't think so, I'm pretty sure those are the US West Dota servers. Valve may have screwed something up with the back end

Trickster

Did you just buy all those levels because of that level 1000 thing, or did you buy it beforehand, if it's the later, can I ask why? As I see it there's not really any particular reason for doing it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I just hope the quaility is good. The Weta stuff was about $200-$300 each, so if this is close to that, I think its worth $400.

My Dream Scenario right now is for Secret to Win TI5, then try and track them down at ESL or MLG and get them to sign the thing.

inkls

Still doesn't seem fair that I lose MMR because two of my teammates decide to abandon 10 minutes into the game

the trick is to get them to abandon before first blood so the match wont count.

Out of curiosity, can I see your dotabuff?

Trickster

You are saying it's "disgusting" to offer a bonus to people that spend an absurd amount of money to support eSports. I don't understand the point you are making.

I would think that very, very few people actually buy the compendium or any tournament ticket to "support esports". They buy them for the stuff they get out of it. And I would dare say no one in their right mind buys 400 dollars worth of compendium levels solely to support the TI ( especially since only 100 of those dollars would actually go towards "supporting esports".

The aegis will obviously be something that people want and get enjoyment from owning. But I think the point of it is clear, it's as you say, to get people to spend absurd amounts of money.

You are saying it's "disgusting" to offer a bonus to people that spend an absurd amount of money to support eSports. I don't understand the point you are making.

I'm saying that it's targeted towards people who already spent a ton of money and encouraging them to spend more, which rubs me the wrong way. If it was a literal 400 dollar item or if it was announced when the compendium went on sale it wouldn't feel as exploitative to me.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm saying that it's targeted towards people who already spent a ton of money and encouraging them to spend more, which rubs me the wrong way. If it was a literal 400 dollar item or if it was announced when the compendium went on sale it wouldn't feel as exploitative to me.
Alternate view:
"Hey it's cool some people did Level 1000 we should do something for them"
It's a free kickback people didn't know about. Like people sitting at rank 400 have another option or people at 850 for some reason can either get or sell the damn thing.

People spending $400 for custom stuff isn't new, look at WETA. It's less exploitative since no one knew about it and it is a <$400 with compendium rewards (Immortal levels).

Lotto

aw yiss, looks like they're gonna add desert themed buildings/neutral creeps for the desert map, gimme dem art assets

Hylian7

Alternate view:
"Hey it's cool some people did Level 1000 we should do something for them"
It's a free kickback people didn't know about. Like people sitting at rank 400 have another option or people at 850 for some reason can either get or sell the damn thing.

People spending $400 for custom stuff isn't new, look at WETA. It's less exploitative since no one knew about it and it is a <$400 with compendium rewards (Immortal levels).

This is exactly how I'm seeing it.

I would think that very, very few people actually buy the compendium or any tournament ticket to "support esports". They buy them for the stuff they get out of it. And I would dare say no one in their right mind buys 400 dollars worth of compendium levels solely to support the TI ( especially since only 100 of those dollars would actually go towards "supporting esports".

The aegis will obviously be something that people want and get enjoyment from owning. But I think the point of it is clear, it's as you say, to get people to spend absurd amounts of money.

I have a hard time believing that someone that spends $400 on this doesn't care about eSports at all.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Valve wasn't obligated to give anything at all for people spending their money willingly, I say it's really nice of them to recognize those that gave an extra push and made possible this tourney to be one of the biggest ones (in terms of money) yet in the history of e-sports.

lmao

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I have a friend whose compendium level is over 1100 and he's never watched a professional dota game, ever.

Trickster

I have a hard time believing that someone that spends $400 on this doesn't care about eSports at all.

But do you think that any of those people spend 400 dollars, purely to support esportz, knowing that only 25% of the money goes to that, while valve pockets the rest? And how many people do you think would spend 400 dollars without the compendium rewards or e-peen extension that goes with it?

PS. if anyone here is actually purely about supporting esports and nothing else. I'll happily take your compendium immortals and other stuff from whatever else you've gotten while supporting esports, thanks!

that Aegis is cute and a very nice gesture for people that committed to have spent that much. not for me, but if you're close to that number go get it.

and stop hatin, haters

But do you think that any of those people spend 400 dollars, purely to support esportz, knowing that only 25% of the money goes to that, while valve pockets the rest? And how many people do you think would spend 400 dollars without the compendium rewards or e-peen extension that goes with it?

PS. if anyone here is actually purely about supporting esports and nothing else. I'll happily take your compendium immortals and other stuff from whatever else you've gotten while supporting esports, thanks!

why is it an either or debate? people care about esports and their trinkets and cosmetics.

is that a problem?

Hylian7

They want the trinkets, they bought it for the trinkets. What's the issue? Companies make money. I don't see the problem here.

Trickster

They want the trinkets, they bought it for the trinkets. What's the issue? Companies make money. I don't see the problem here.

There is no problem in people doing that. I'm just saying that pretty much no one is spending money buying stuff like tickets or compendiums, purely because they want to support esport. Which I thought you were saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom