• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boken

Banned
word of advice, if youre going to post something like that you better have an official source about why, esp with how dumb most lol or dota threads get

a group of people saying "there is no dota on the pax computers" and bad riot history doesnt tell you why something has happened

Anyone else finding the MLG league a little underwhelming?

It looks like it's going to be Dignitas (EG and Liquid seem to have tuned them down) and then 7 teams from the qualifier.

Hylian7

So I know people have mentioned in theory, that building a Battle Fury on a melee carry to counter PL could be a good idea, but never actually saw anyone do it until today.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/294514883

It worked obviously, but I didn't feel like it was doing as much of the work as his other items, namely the Butterfly kept me from killing him and he was able to survive and turn the tables on me.

Is building a Battle Fury to counter PL or any other illusion based hero really practical? I feel like he would have been fine without the BF and a different item.

SamVimes

word of advice, if youre going to post something like that you better have an official source about why, esp with how dumb most lol or dota threads get

a group of people saying "there is no dota on the pax computers" and bad riot history doesnt tell you why something has happened

I would find it really hard to argue that Riot doesn't have anything to do with this.

RS4-

So was that a 5v5 random MM GAF game tonight? Or were you guys 3/4 ?

Either way, should have ended it earlier, we were on a roll and then... :(

Yeah that sucked. I blame my blink not going off at that bot t3 fight. Was hard fighting up hill.

Ggs last night.

aeolist

Banned
So I know people have mentioned in theory, that building a Battle Fury on a melee carry to counter PL could be a good idea, but never actually saw anyone do it until today.

It worked obviously, but I didn't feel like it was doing as much of the work as his other items, namely the Butterfly kept me from killing him and he was able to survive and turn the tables on me.

Is building a Battle Fury to counter PL or any other illusion based hero really practical? I feel like he would have been fine without the BF and a different item.

bf kunkka wrecks pl pretty hard

Boken

Banned
I would find it really hard to argue that Riot doesn't have anything to do with this.

Everything is circumstantial "where's my dota" at best. nothing has been said by either riot, valve or pax.

here is a quote from the PC room manager on the 6th of August, before any shit goes down. (http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/27572111/#Comment_27572111)
There's a lot of thought that goes into choosing of the tournaments each PAX. As mentioned, they are designed for fun, as we want to make the PC room a comfortable place for all players, and not intimidating when a crew of pro players wearing sponsored T's show up. Believe it or not, that can be intimidating. On the other hand, we know that the competitive spirit goes hand in hand with gaming, so there is a balance that we try to strike.

Having said that, there are other factors. For instance, which games are being loaded on to the machines, which exhibitors want to sponsor certain tournaments, and then the most important factor, what's the bandwidth usage like. Bandwidth is a tough problem to handle when you have 350+ Freeplay machines and 450+ BYOC machines all operating on the same internet pipe. We've been making huge improvements over the past couple of PAX's by implementing better Steam Proxies, rate limiting actual seats, and just being mindful what games are being played.

Another requirement that we started making a few PAX's ago, for the sake of bandwidth conservation, is that all Freeplay and Tournament games that are played, must have locally install-able servers or sponsored bandwidth. This did cut out a few titles (such as Battlefield 3) that simply didn't offer a local server option. Other companies have in the past opted to sponsor internet. That is why there are a few titles that are popular in the eSports arena that are not being played. It's not that we don't want them, just that we have to ensure that the network experience for both the Freeplayer's and the BYOC users meets expectations.

We do have some eSport titles (like League of Legends) on the Freeplay machines that will be available to play, but no tournament. This is possibly because Riot may do something on their own. If you recall last years Riot Room, (which was freakin' awesome). I don't know if they are doing that again, but you never know. =)

I'm personally looking forward to the QWOP Tournament. I think lots of lawlz will be had! =)
Basically:
- recently, bandwith has been a problem - increased network considerations on the last few PAXs
- therefore, games on machines must either be locally installable, have locally installable servers or sponsored bandwith
- Riot sponsors LoL bandwith
- Valve doesnt

theres way too much tunnel vision on dota v lol - also note, SC2 is also not on the computers at PAX, and Riot has no reason to give a damn about SC2. Blizzard probably doesnt sponsor bandwith, so thats why they're not there. And thats probably why Dota isnt on the computers either.

this really just goes to show that some of you have preconcieved conclusions and need to work on that. Even reddit feels a little ashamed of themselves.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
A few of us that have been playing anywhere from a few weeks to a few months have started playing with a new guy. I don't mean to laugh at him, but he's got like a dozen games under his belt and then this happens...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNrfEGl-4NQ

aeolist

Banned
how can bandwidth be a problem? :lol
it's not 1997

they have a lot of pcs and the venue may have a relatively shitty connection

but still that just sounds like riot paying a lot of money for ads and making it contingent upon pax ignoring a competitor

SamVimes

Are we seriously even considering that an event like PAX is gonna have bandwith problems even if around 400 pcs are playing dota?

JustinBB7

Everything is circumstantial "where's my dota" at best. nothing has been said by either riot, valve or pax.

here is a quote from the PC room manager on the 6th of August, before any shit goes down. (http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/27572111/#Comment_27572111)

Basically:
- recently, bandwith has been a problem - increased network considerations on the last few PAXs
- therefore, games on machines must either be locally installable, have locally installable servers or sponsored bandwith
- Riot sponsors LoL bandwith
- Valve doesnt

theres way too much tunnel vision on dota v lol - also note, SC2 is also not on the computers at PAX, and Riot has no reason to give a damn about SC2. Blizzard probably doesnt sponsor bandwith, so thats why they're not there. And thats probably why Dota isnt on the computers either.

this really just goes to show that some of you have preconcieved conclusions and need to work on that. Even reddit feels a little ashamed of themselves.

So Dota 2 uses more bandwith than all the other games installed on there? Like every other Valve game? Ok.

BTDcwrBCYAAiLC7.jpg:large

Elder Titan is my jam. Keep fleeing in terror from my spirit animal, even tho it has already touched/damaged you, you freaking noobs. I'll be here getting all the CS when you're done being a pussy.

Why wouldn't they flee? I'm not going to hang around to be put to sleep by it. That is part of my combo when I play titan. Spirit, Sleep/stun, into ult. The range using the spirit can be insane.

Boken

Banned
You claim bandwith is the reason there is no Dota 2, then why can you play all other Valve games even if they are not sponsored by Valve either.

so are you saying they all cant either be lanned or have a local dedicated server set up

look, im not saying this IS the reason, but in the world of circumstantial evidence, a post by the pc room manager a month before PAX about bandwith limits + sponsored bandwith on games is far more compelling than "omg no doto at pax, evil rioto"

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Why wouldn't they flee? I'm not going to hang around to be put to sleep by it. That is part of my combo when I play titan. Spirit, Sleep/stun, into ult. The range using the spirit can be insane.

Laning. Level 1. They flee.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
17 minute loss, and even that was drawn out. Bottom lane (Lion and Sven) went 1-11 and 0-9 each, all the while blaming us and saying there's nothing they could do. I was 2-3 as Anti-Mage but truly didn't have a chance. Furion (0-0) did his best but also had no time to do anything.

lol

Anteo

If you have enough splash damage (over 100%), the ilusions should be death in a couple of hits. Now, the problem is how fast can you hit the ilusions, if he has enough time to swarm you, you are death no matter what. Anyways, as a carry I would always get items to kill him faster, he is the source of the problem after all. An allied kunnka (or other hero + magnus overpower) working as a 2nd-3rd position hero could get the bf to control his pushes.

aeolist

Banned
so are you saying they all cant either be lanned or have a local dedicated server set up

look, im not saying this IS the reason, but in the world of circumstantial evidence, a post by the pc room manager a month before PAX about bandwith limits + sponsored bandwith on games is far more compelling than "omg no doto at pax, evil rioto"

or preemptive damage control

and it's not really paranoid imaginings when riot has done this many many times before

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

what are you even talking about

Although I don't really like to go into LoL talks in this thread, I really won't be surprised if Riot did had their hand in this.

It's not like it's a big thing though, Dota 2 just broke 520k in daily peak players. It's doing pretty well from all things considered and this is just a blimp,

Boken

Banned
or preemptive damage control

and it's not really paranoid imaginings when riot has done this many many times before

a post 1 month ago talking about bandwith restraints in a fungame tournament thread responding to somebody who wants a shootmainia tournament is pre-emptive damage control

you've got to be fucking kidding me

tinfoilhat.jpg

Although I don't really like to go into LoL talks in this thread, I really won't be surprised if Riot did had their hand in this.
thats based on no evidence

a post 1 month ago talking about bandwith restraints in a fungame tournament thread responding to somebody who wants a shootmainia tournament is pre-emptive damage control

you've got to be fucking kidding me

tinfoilhat.jpg

thats based on no evidence

Yeah scratch that. I was completely wrong.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1lij8q/lack_of_dota_2_at_pax_pax_employee_pete_vapok/

"I run the PC Room at PAX East, and I've run it at Prime before that a few times -- and I ran the PC Freeplay part of it before I took over the main room. Couple things -- Vapok is an Enforcer, not an employee. Secondly, Riot has literally no say on what we put on or keep off of the PC Freeplay machines with the sole exception of LoL -- we were going to pull it from our repertoire because of its bandwidth requirements until they stepped up to the plate to sponsor the bandwidth.

Zeth

The CEF-error loading store/library/blog is killing me. Hasn't gone away now for over a week. I've tried everything. I can still buy stuff on the web store, but no luck in the client.

Only thing I can think of now is maybe some kind of conflict with MS Security Essential which I installed somewhat recently. Total reinstall didn't help, cache verification, etc. Scouring googles for an answer has only confirmed to me that there appears to be no fix for this issue. =(

In the next.kz there was a funny thing where jakiro had an illusion and only moved one of the fake ones around leaving the real one with a fake one on mid and it could have been really cool and funny if it was pulled off, but Sheever never even mentioned it :(

who's going to sit down to play a 45 minute round of Dota 2 at PAX? Aren't there better things to do? Can't you play Dota at home? Why would I go to PAX to play random F2P games I can easily just play at home?

So due to a stupid mishap I managed to get an extra NA Moogle Cap and Cait Sith doll pre order code. Would gladly trade these for any (good) virtual in game items in Dota 2.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

I was at PAX and asked to install DOTA 2. The guy told me 'because bandwidth reasons DONT DOWNLOAD IT. Okay. Didn't say why it wasn't on in the first place or whatever.

I played TF2 instead with the person next to me. I'm bringing my flash drive with dota on it anyway, but probably no time to play until Monday if I do.

I was at PAX and asked to install DOTA 2. The guy told me 'because bandwidth reasons DONT DOWNLOAD IT. Okay. Didn't say why it wasn't on in the first place or whatever.

I played TF2 instead with the person next to me. I'm bringing my flash drive with dota on it anyway, but probably no time to play until Monday if I do.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1lij8q/lack_of_dota_2_at_pax_pax_employee_pete_vapok/

"I run the PC Room at PAX East, and I've run it at Prime before that a few times -- and I ran the PC Freeplay part of it before I took over the main room. Couple things -- Vapok is an Enforcer, not an employee. Secondly, Riot has literally no say on what we put on or keep off of the PC Freeplay machines with the sole exception of LoL -- we were going to pull it from our repertoire because of its bandwidth requirements until they stepped up to the plate to sponsor the bandwidth.
For the record, I'm also just an Enforcer."

patapuf

Are we seriously even considering that an event like PAX is gonna have bandwith problems even if around 400 pcs are playing dota?

It doesn't really matter either way. If Valve wants to do something about their Dota 2 prescence at PAX they have more than enough rescources to do so. They don't need us to defend them.

shira

It doesn't really matter either way. If Valve wants to do something about their Dota 2 prescence at PAX they have more than enough rescources to do so. They don't need us to defend them.

this is such a non-issue, wtf would you go to PAX to play dota?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom