• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tagyhag

deserve? If yur not the best you don't deserve shit.
I consider Burning and Mushi to be the best in their abilities, iceiceice being up there as well. The problem was that both had teammates who were not up to par with them and one person can only do so much.

shira

I consider Burning and Mushi to be the best in their abilities, iceiceice being up there as well. The problem was that both had teammates who were not up to par with them and one person can only do so much.
ur just a blind fanboy then, it has and always will be a team game
changing one player is the difference between chump and champion
iRCNllmh57FYd.gif

Zeth

If I were to buy keys for use in trading for or purchasing some items/sets not on the store/marketplace, should I get new ones or common? I don't know much about trading.

If I were to buy keys for use in trading for or purchasing some items/sets not on the store/marketplace, should I get new ones or common? I don't know much about trading.

If it's a specific offer you're looking at, then they'll usually mention if they want 'new' keys.

If not, just buy old/common keys because there are plenty of people who will trade for old ones.

I hit 1000 hours, i have to say i am more knowledgeable in a wider pool of heroes. I also enjoy the feeling of playing a hero that i know how to play extremely well with. But i do not think my mechanic skills will improve, as last hitting is still very difficult for me with certain heroes.

I think its time to take a break and go back to anothet soul destroying game, dark souls

Zeth

If it's a specific offer you're looking at, then they'll usually mention if they want 'new' keys.

If not, just buy old/common keys because there are plenty of people who will trade for old ones.

Thanks - when you see item values on places like Dota2Prices (let me know if this is garbage), they're generally referring to common treasure keys, unless an individual is specifying new keys. Got it.

shira

Thanks - when you see item values on places like Dota2Prices (let me know if this is garbage), they're generally referring to common treasure keys, unless an individual is specifying new keys. Got it.
this is garbage, rough estimate at best

Hylian7

Had a match on Monday that I thought was doomed from the start, but it turns out 5 support teams (well... IDK if it was really 5 supports) can be fun to play and win if they work together and never let the team with carries build them up.
I had two matches like that yesterday.

As I've said before, the most important rule of do to: Is the ancient gone? No? Then the game isn't over.

Don't give up, I have had so many games that we were behind in, but were still winnable. The reason we lost was because teammates gave up.

Never call "gg push to end"

Aaron

Had a frustrating game that my team would have won if members of it didn't keep deep diving into enemy territory, usually alone and often without invis. I kept telling them to fall back, group up, but nothing I said got through. It's a real shame because we had the enemy base 2/3rds done, but there were so many easy ganks for the enemy side after that. I'm not the most experienced player so I don't mind players not knowing things, but they should at least listen.

ksan

I hit 1000 hours, i have to say i am more knowledgeable in a wider pool of heroes. I also enjoy the feeling of playing a hero that i know how to play extremely well with. But i do not think my mechanic skills will improve, as last hitting is still very difficult for me with certain heroes.

I think its time to take a break and go back to anothet soul destroying game, dark souls

Are you talking about playing carry or mid? Or what, just last hitting generally?
You need to learn how to improve to actually become really good at mechanics and most of the things in the game, you can only learn so much by just putting in the hours.
There's a reason why everyone was shit in dota 1 compared to dota 2, it's so much easier to learn how to improve now.

sixghost

I'm starting a new project, I'm going to try to do a series of guides for use in-game for most of the heroes called the "So you randomed x" series. These are for situations where you are stuck playing whatever hero and don't know what to do or build. The builds are generally pretty safe and don't require too much skill beyond the norm (for instance no Blink Dagger for Meepo). Here's a few of them:

So you randomed Meepo...
So you randomed Brewmaster...
So you randomed Tinker...
I would say Shadow Blade is a requirement for Meepo if you aren't going blink. You need some form of initiation that isn't waddling into a fight.

Other than that, I would emphasize how easy, and vital, it is to smoke into Rosh once you're level 16 with scepter, add power treads to core after scepter, and maybe something like skadi->AC after that if you are just trying to build a tanky, low micro Meepo.

I don't really think sheep stick is a great item on a non-blink meepo. You really only get that on him when you need to immediately disable and kill a target after blinking in, like Magnus or enigma, or if you are trying to gank slippery split pushers like antimage and PL.

Hylian7

I would say Shadow Blade is a requirement for Meepo if you aren't going blink. You need some form of initiation that isn't waddling into a fight.

Other than that, I would emphasize how easy, and vital, it is to smoke into Rosh once you're level 16 with scepter, add power treads to core after scepter, and maybe something like skadi->AC after that if you are just trying to build a tanky, low micro Meepo.

I don't really think sheep stick is a great item on a non-blink meepo. You really only get that on him when you need to immediately disable and kill a target after blinking in, like Magnus or enigma, or if you are trying to gank slippery split pushers like antimage and PL.

Gah, completely forgot about Treads and BoTs. I need to add that in.

I updated it.

By the way I am streaming now: http://www.twitch.tv/hylian7

sibarraz

Banned
Had a match on Monday that I thought was doomed from the start, but it turns out 5 support teams (well... IDK if it was really 5 supports) can be fun to play and win if they work together and never let the team with carries build them up.

Happened the same to me, 5 supports vs 5 carries, we ended winning

I think that some supports could end as carries if the conditions are met (like lina) in the other hand, the carries need the money and some help, so if they don't had some support they are doomed

obviusly, all suport teams must won quick

Ketch

Played a solo que yesterday where we had one leaver early and then everyone else quit towards the end. Even though it was 5v1 in my own base I was still able to get a double kill and a single kill with Mirana. No commends though.

Chris R

Happened the same to me, 5 supports vs 5 carries, we ended winning

I think that some supports could end as carries if the conditions are met (like lina) in the other hand, the carries need the money and some help, so if they don't had some support they are doomed

obviusly, all suport teams must won quick

It was a 36 minute game, helped that we had a bunch of pushers, just knocked those towers down.

Are you talking about playing carry or mid? Or what, just last hitting generally?
You need to learn how to improve to actually become really good at mechanics and most of the things in the game, you can only learn so much by just putting in the hours.
There's a reason why everyone was shit in dota 1 compared to dota 2, it's so much easier to learn how to improve now.

I will have to say it's the swing animation on certain heroes to time the click to coincide with the last hit. In this instance should i turn on autoattack so i can spam stop? I have been playing with it off since i am so used to A + left click. I have issues last hitting in situations where the creep wave is being pulled pass your tower. The melee creeps can be last hit after three tower blasts, but the range creep will die after three tower blasts. Is it even possible to last hit that range creep?

Play mid is much harder then any other lane such as Puck or SF i am not confident when i can go for a kill mid or when I have to play safe. Range last hitting is a bit easier as i can pull creeps to me but last hitting as melee is much more difficult.

I also do not know what my CS score should be at 5 minutes in to game 10 minutes in to game 15 minutes in to game. I don't know how efficiently i am farming as I really have no gauge for I should have X item by Y time I am doing good in farming.

Shepard

Damn, great game I had right now. Luna is a beast, I won a gank vs. 4 heroes of the other team (in super late game). Both ancients with less than half life for more than 10mins... Of course we lost, after winning a huge teamfight in the bot lane and seeing NP kill our ancient with 4 hits. Haaate NP. :(

I will have to say it's the swing animation on certain heroes to time the click to coincide with the last hit. In this instance should i turn on autoattack so i can spam stop? I have been playing with it off since i am so used to A + left click. I have issues last hitting in situations where the creep wave is being pulled pass your tower. The melee creeps can be last hit after three tower blasts, but the range creep will die after three tower blasts. Is it even possible to last hit that range creep?

Play mid is much harder then any other lane such as Puck or SF i am not confident when i can go for a kill mid or when I have to play safe. Range last hitting is a bit easier as i can pull creeps to me but last hitting as melee is much more difficult.

I also do know what my CS score should be at 5 minutes in to game 10 minutes in to game 15 minutes in to game. I don't know how efficiently i am farming as I really have no gauge for I should have X item by Y time I am doing good in farming.

IIRC it goes down after 2 tower hits and 2 attacks early game. So hit it at full or after a tower blast, and then you should be able to finish it off after the second tower blast. At least that's how I remember it.

I haven't played as much as you have but watching streams of pro players playing really helps me. Especially with how they approach last hitting, when to get what items and general decision making.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
but there's actually terrain you can use the blunderbuss on defensively i.e: using it to get onto high ground or something, and he finally gets an escape mechanism instead of going shadowblade all the time!

I understand where you're coming from, and I can sympathize, but this defeats the point of Sniper. His "defense mechanism" is positioning + range. People initiate on him? Too bad, that's the price he pays for being able to kill someone half the screen away.

Some heroes have generalized toolkits (WR, Storm, Mirana), some have very specific ones (OD, Ursa, Shadowfiend) and Sniper falls into the latter category. Making Sniper competitive isn't about shoring up his weaknesses, but increasing his strengths until they're worth the risk of his shortcomings.

Kenaras

Attack each ranged creep once, before they take any tower damage. Let the tower hit them twice, then go for the last hit. Once your damage has ramped up, stop using the extra attack and just go for the last hit as normal. (A ranged creep will have between 60 and 100 health left after getting hit twice by a tower, depending the damage rolls for the tower hits.)

As for autoattack, that's up to personal preference; either way works. Try experimenting with both. (Personally, I have autoattack off.)

sixghost

I also do not know what my CS score should be at 5 minutes in to game 10 minutes in to game 15 minutes in to game. I don't know how efficiently i am farming as I really have no gauge for I should have X item by Y time I am doing good in farming.
My rule of thumb, at least early on, is that melee creeps take 5 hits from the tower, and 2 attacks from a hero, ranged creeps take 2 hits from a tower, 2 from a hero. Obviously it gets much more difficult once creeps are attacking, but eventually you get used to judging whether or not you need to wait for that last tower hit. Sometimes when creeps are attacking ranged creeps while the tower is hitting them, it gets really hard to get the last hit.

It's just something you need to practice. Create a bot game by yourself and pick heroes with low damage or bad attack animations like Meepo or Mirana, and just keep practicing. And judging how well you're doing by # of last hits at a certain point isn't a great indicator since all lanes are different. If you have complete free farm, you should probably be getting 80 or 90 percent of the last hits, which is 8-9 each minute.

Lotto

I understand where you're coming from, and I can sympathize, but this defeats the point of Sniper. His "defense mechanism" is positioning + range. People initiate on him? Too bad, that's the price he pays for being able to kill someone half the screen away.

Some heroes have generalized toolkits (WR, Storm, Mirana), some have very specific ones (OD, Ursa, Shadowfiend) and Sniper falls into the latter category. Making Sniper competitive isn't about shoring up his weaknesses, but increasing his strengths until they're worth the risk of his shortcomings.

So what you're trying to tell me is that he'll never see competitive play :(

So what you're trying to tell me is that he'll never see competitive play :(
He'll get a silly seemingly inconsequential buff here and there for a couple patches (might have already been happening I don't remember what has happened to sniper in the last few patches) and then one of those will be the straw that breaks the camels back. One team will pick him and demolish then another and another. That will filter down to pubs at which point everyone will bitch about how op he is and in every game of all pick.

BraXzy

Well this is brilliant. Steam went off when I just started a game, asked to pause, restarted, now can;t get back in. Will this class as an abandon? :/

Shepard

Hate playing with people that call gg after the first or second lost team fight and proceed to say "well its already over" every time they make a shitty decision. I always end as a fed carry, but 10 levels above almost everyone else on my team.

Razzer

Just had a really fun game as Jakiro. The game started pretty bad, as their bane kunkka lane was shitting on me and slark. I died twice and he died once in not much time. I tried rotating to other lanes but didn't have much luck. Then their huskar disconnected and we paused. This was where I really started to enjoy myself as me and our timbersaw had a lovely chat about several different things, and everyone on both teams was being friendly about it all. The bane knew the huskar so some of our guys were suggesting ways to solve it whilst me and venge made the decision to just stay in jungle and stack camps for morph. It turned out huskar couldn't reconnect, so we had all the time in the world to farm up morph as we had good counter push. Slark and timber kept pushing out lanes and died a few times but overall gave us time. My lesson from this, you ask? Stacking camps and helping a carry farm is really relaxing. Some of the most enjoyable Dota I've played purely because of how laid-back it was. Eventually morph got farm, we won a rosh fight and pushed into their base. Was very fun overall.

JustinBB7

Well this is brilliant. Steam went off when I just started a game, asked to pause, restarted, now can;t get back in. Will this class as an abandon? :/

Somebody on my team had that, and I saw Steam was down so I knew he wasn't coming back. Then we lost. (we were winning before that)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Man when a game ends at 24 minutes with a score of 21-4 I just feel bad for the other team. We didn't even go for Megas or Rosh, we wanted to put them out of their misery

shira

Hello all,
I just wanted to post my latest workshop submission. Hope there are some Lina fans here :)

Pyro Classic Updo by Prophet9

Cheers!
Yes!
Upvoted!
This month's polycount is going really well imho, gj guys (female hero single items)

I really like this peek-a-boo assymetric mantle as well, not part of the contest

Nice goku in the works too
tumblr_mu0w6fj7CT1r6b5zso1_1280.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom