• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got to play Lone Druid a lot the last couple of days and I really like him, but I had some horrible games except for one where I did really good. Even if I do get the items, it seems like its just not enough..

What items do you usually get? I always get a Stout Shield on the bear first, then Tranquil/Phase boots early as well as the Orb of Venom. For some reason, most of the games I had with him except one go terribly wrong for the entire team and I find that I need to get Maelstrom so I can farm up faster (this last game I got a Midas as well since I decided to jungle)

After that I usually get AC and a Basher, but during team fights me and the bear can still lose a lot of health. Is Vlads a good idea? should I put it on the bear or me? I've been thinking of also getting a separate Hyperstone on the bear

Depends on if you get safe lane or hard lane. You should always be solo. You desperately need the XP. If I'm solo hard lane, the bear can check rune and be in time to pull the creep to your tower. This will get you safe XP and some gold. If you line up your attack with your bear, you get a ridiculous damage, so last hitting should be easier.

I always get a orb of venom first on bear, then boots for both the bear and the druid. It then depends on how the lane is going. If you aren't facing a lot of resistance, you can just get phase boots and rush radiance. If you are, you can get tranquils, then Maelstrom into Vlads/AC. You can disassemble tranquils into Vlads. This also makes doing Rosh really easy. Almost always AC/Vlads should be on the bear also.

e7Qboup.png

http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/dota2.gamepedia.com/0/07/Alch_lasthit_01.mp3

Hylian7

Or a good winrate is "stop worshipping the winrate" as it means so little in relation to individual skill. It's not necessarily set in stone indicator of player skill as this is a team game. You could be that guy that screws it up for your team, your whole team could screw it up, or someone else on your team could screw it up. It happens.

KDA is a little better on some heroes, but not on all of them (supports for instance).

Can anyone tell me how matchmaking works? If I have a party of three with vastly different skill and experience levels, does it match us up to a group of the same, or does it just match to the party leader's level or what?

Hylian7

Can anyone tell me how matchmaking works? If I have a party of three with vastly different skill and experience levels, does it match us up to a group of the same, or does it just match to the party leader's level or what?

Supposedly it matches above all those skill levels or a party of similar skill level.

Boken

Banned
Or a good winrate is "stop worshipping the winrate" as it means so little in relation to individual skill. It's not necessarily set in stone indicator of player skill as this is a team game. You could be that guy that screws it up for your team, your whole team could screw it up, or someone else on your team could screw it up. It happens.

KDA is a little better on some heroes, but not on all of them (supports for instance).
Sounds like somebody with a bad win rate

Boken

Banned
Not really
You know that H7 has a good win rate?

I'm against using external indicators as motivators, but what he said was nonsense. Statistically speaking, a high win rate with enough games will almost always mean that you're at least high or higher. Any inherent randomness of trolls/afks goes away with enough games and you are the only constant in your games.

Of course your MMR is a little more complex than win rate, but it is dependant on winning and losing and so a win rate still means something.

Razzer

Just had a game that went so long I farmed agh's refresher on earthshaker, as me and the other support had agreed to let me farm whilst he bought wards and stuff. Turns out double echo slams when they have CK is pretty powerful. I scared myself I was doing so much damage.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I play mostly with a regular 3-5 stack, rarely solo queue, so maybe it's the extra teamwork but I haven't been below 50% win rate in a while. I find it hard to believe I'm the reason for our relative success.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If you're queueing as a team then you need to add 10% to 50% to be "good".

Boken

Banned
i stacked with 109 and he didnt rage at me
I don't understand what you mean by bonus then.
compared to a random set of 5 people, they have a higher chance to win because of X reasons

ie, if the average MMR of stack team is 1800 without bonus MMR, they will face a team of randoms with an average of 1800 MMR - but the stack has a higher chance to win. Since the MMR system is supposed to give both teams a 50% chance of winning - the value of the stack team needs to be adjusted so that both sides have an even win chance.
So, the MMR stack team has an actual average of 1800 + 5 bonus (for example) for stacking, and face a team with an average MMR of 1805.

Vaporak

They've said the match maker uses a weighted average of your groups individual mmr's, weighted towards the higher mmr's. Early on they didn't use the weighting, and just used the mean if your group, but they found that to not actually give the results they wanted. What would happen was that if they had 2 groups with the same mean mmr's, but one had a higher spread, the one with the higher spread won noticeably more often. That change happened quite some time ago. More recently they tweaked the matchmaker to be more likely to match groups against other groups of the same size, and to more take into account the lowest mmr in the group.

i stacked with 109 and he didnt rage at me

compared to a random set of 5 people, they have a higher chance to win because of X reasons

ie, if the average MMR of stack team is 1800 without bonus MMR, they will face a team of randoms with an average of 1800 MMR - but the stack has a higher chance to win. Since the MMR system is supposed to give both teams a 50% chance of winning - the value of the stack team needs to be adjusted so that both sides have an even win chance.
So, the MMR stack team has an actual average of 1800 + 5 bonus (for example) for stacking, and face a team with an average MMR of 1805.

Stacks are already more likely to be paired up against stacks of the same size.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
They've said the match maker uses a weighted average of your groups individual mmr's, weighted towards the higher mmr's. Early on they didn't use the weighting, and just used the mean if your group, but they found that to not actually give the results they wanted. What would happen was that if they had 2 groups with the same mean mmr's, but one had a higher spread, the one with the higher spread won noticeably more often. That change happened quite some time ago. More recently they tweaked the matchmaker to be more likely to match groups against other groups of the same size, and to more take into account the lowest mmr in the group.

Stacks are already more likely to be paired up against stacks of the same size.

Actually, they recently decided to drop the weighing again since they found it detrimental, for parties it now tries to fill the slots with similarly skilled players for both team.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Is Lifestealer jungling really *that* good? I played with a friend who insisted he should do that instead of taking the safe lane, I'm not really convinced, but I've played the hero all of like twice though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Is Lifestealer jungling really *that* good? I played with a friend who insisted he should do that instead of taking the safe lane, I'm not really convinced, but I've played the hero all of like twice though.

Its situational. He's better in lane frankly. But if you have another carry who really wants to farm the safelane then he's technically workable in the jungle.

Hylian7

Sigh.

I just played Lone Druid and got charged by a Spirit Breaker multiple times. I got at least 8-10 hits on him before he could kill me. Not a single root. Does root not have PRNG like other things?

ElyrionX

When people say random rares in trading, do they mean ANY and ALL rares or do they mean all rares except for the usual WD, Axe, Jugg, Omni and Morph?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
When people say random rares in trading, do they mean ANY and ALL rares or do they mean all rares except for the usual WD, Axe, Jugg, Omni and Morph?

It should be any rares, though I am sure a ton of people are going to go "nono, not that one it sucks" and such.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Its situational. He's better in lane frankly. But if you have another carry who really wants to farm the safelane then he's technically workable in the jungle.

laning is always better if its available.

Alright, thanks guys.

I was playing support to my friend's LS and was annoyed with that. We had no other proper carries either, no one to take over the safe lane, and he was still set on jungling. Yes, we lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom