• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

Ok so I have been going back and forth about incorporating Midas into my builds for heroes. You generally want to get it if you know your farm is going to be slow in the early game right? Like for example, let's say you go safe lane Skelly King Radiant side with a support. You know your laning might be contested if you deal with a ranged combo so would getting a Midas to jungle while the support is holding off the push be viable?

also depends on your team - you don't want 2-3 midas

SamVimes

Ok so I have been going back and forth about incorporating Midas into my builds for heroes. You generally want to get it if you know your farm is going to be slow in the early game right? Like for example, let's say you go safe lane Skelly King Radiant side with a support. You know your laning might be contested if you deal with a ranged combo so would getting a Midas to jungle while the support is holding off the push be viable?
On most heroes you want the midas only if you're already getting freefarm, getting it later works only on a few (Nature's Prophet, Lifestealer)
also depends on your team - you don't want 2-3 midas

Sometimes you do. EG for a time was doing great with the triple midas strat getting it on Invoker, Lifestealer (i think DK too, not sure) and Nature's Prophet.

shira

On most heroes you want the midas only if you're already getting freefarm, getting it later works only on a few (Nature's Prophet, Lifestealer)

Sometimes you do. EG for a time was doing great with the triple midas strat getting it on Invoker, Lifestealer (i think DK too, not sure) and Nature's Prophet.

You are using EG as an examplar?

Wynnebeck

Banned

So, if the team was running like a 3-1-1, the solo offlane would get Midas to help since they are already getting free farm? Sorry if I'm reading that wrong.

So, if the team was running like a 3-1-1, the solo offlane would get Midas to help since they are already getting free farm? Sorry if I'm reading that wrong.

If the solo offlaner is 1 v 1 AND getting really good farm, then yes. Getting midas weakens your early game item progression in exchange for accelerated farm later on. If you can't pick up a midas by the 7 min mark, then you're better off not getting it save for NP in the jungle and Lifestealer.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
lol@ a well farmed Outworld Devourer. We were losing becauae one of our team mates got D/C for a bit mid game. I got Nature's Prophet in the middle and handily stomped him and continued to do well while most of my team were getting killed by the new meta carry witch doctor.

So, now it is late game, and I am already really strong but I TP back to base to kill some mega creeps at our base while they try to push after we won a teamfight 5-0. So I have to stay back for a while and I end up getting some levels and a lot of gold and from that point on every single time they see me coming they have to run because I can 2-3 shot pretty much all 5 of them. It was insane.

snack

Fj48u3y.gif

Anteo

You get midas to increase the farming advantage that is already on your favor. As said before, that item slows your early game potential because it doens't give any stats for 1900 gold. If you are farming slow, what you need is gold efficient items and try to get the control of the game back.

What is this about Starcraft 2 tourneys I'm reading about. Does anyone really think they scheduled opposite of TI3 intentionally thinking that they could somehow hurt TI3's viewer numbers or is that just the nerd rage talking? Seems really dumb to have done it intentionally as this hurts no one but Blizzard. Has to be that they had no choice right?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Whether intentional or not it's a pretty stupid move on Blizzards part. It either shows a delusional self-confidence in the ability of their tournament to keep its overlapping regulars away from TI3 (a tournament that has been hyped up for a few months now, if not a year, as every other tournament has more or less been leading up to this) or a desperation born from incompetence and lack of foresight that they would have no choice but to schedule their biggest tournament over the biggest tournament in gaming.

Were I responsible for scheduling tournaments I'd draw a big red X over weekends involving EVO, League or DOTA 2.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
It seems like a pretty obvious move to try and hold Korea off from Dota 2, right?

The SC2 scene in Korea is so strong that the emerging Dota scene won't get a spike because of the overlap?

That's the only thing about the timing that makes any sense to me.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Maybe Heavy's will never bring this up again, or better yet admit he was wrong the entire time.

Heavy's is just a gigantic troll that fishes for responses now.

edit: the post below perfectly highlights the transformation of Heavy's a few months back ;).

Gav47

Blizzard just shot themselves in the foot. I don't know how much the rest of you know about eSports culture (I'm an expert) but honor... etc. etc. fill in rest yourself.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
It seems like a pretty obvious move to try and hold Korea off from Dota 2, right?

The SC2 scene in Korea is so strong that the emerging Dota scene won't get a spike because of the overlap?

That's the only thing about the timing that makes any sense to me.

Korea is all about the Leeeg mang, Blizzard already lost their only barion and soon it will drop further to Dota 2

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Whether intentional or not it's a pretty stupid move on Blizzards part. It either shows a delusional self-confidence in the ability of their tournament to keep its overlapping regulars away from TI3 (a tournament that has been hyped up for a few months now, if not a year, as every other tournament has more or less been leading up to this) or a desperation born from incompetence and lack of foresight that they would have no choice but to schedule their biggest tournament over the biggest tournament in gaming.

Were I responsible for scheduling tournaments I'd draw a big red X over weekends involving EVO, League or DOTA 2.

What's funny is even Riot scheduled around TI3 by avoiding any LCS matches that week.

Blizzard is dumb.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
There was a site to trade Dota cards really fast. You select what you want, and you find people who want what you have and have what you want.

Anybody still have that site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom