• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT12| A Safe Place For Your Sociopathic Behaviors.

Shinypogs

Whelp I was busy when the first game was going on and with mlg not using their stream rewind function ( best part of long ass tournaments in sc2) and no twitch vods I shall forever wonder wtf happened that game.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
LOL

Ban Brood AND Meepo AND pick Ember.

Fucking PPD mad as shit.

DrPizza

Banned
The horde of idiots falling over themselves to write one-handed essays defending the depiction of Quiet, to be precise.

This is like people defending the fact that basically all the humanoid female heroes in Dota 2 are basically attractive.

"QoP has to be virtually naked! She's a succubus!"

Right, right, because she was born that way, and not simply a designer's creation. Uh huh.

Like, I mean, OK, it's not that there's anything wrong necessarily with the character, but c'mon, she's designed that way to have sex appeal. Surely it's not too difficult to acknowledge as much.

Hylian7

This is like people defending the fact that basically all the humanoid female heroes in Dota 2 are basically attractive.

Right, right, because she was born that way, and not simply a designer's creation. Uh huh.

Like, I mean, OK, it's not that there's anything wrong necessarily with the character, but c'mon, she's designed that way to have sex appeal. Surely it's not too difficult to acknowledge as much.

I think most people acknowledge that the character was designed that way.

Although I guess it blurs the definition of what you call humanoid, but Medusa and Spectre are semi-humanoid at the very least.

It is pretty impressive how good w33ha is playing. A couple months ago he was just known for spamming meepo for MMR and -refresh, but he's getting respect bans vs tier 1 teams.

Then again xcalibur looked that way for like 2 weeks and then faded into obscurity

You're dealing with people who think Kojima's writing is good... in 2015. That's like an event horizon of bad taste you can't possibly argue against.

Sibylus

Banned

I agree on QoP, but there's a wide gulf between Quiet and virtually any other example. Said two examples are basically in their underwear, and for very similar reasons.

inkls

You're dealing with people who think Kojima's writing is good... in 2015. That's like an event horizon of bad taste you can't possibly argue against.

Why is it considered bad? I'm not too familiar with it. I've heard people say it was confusing, but I haven't heard about bad.

I just started mgs5 assuming it was the video game equivalent of a bond movie

MGSV is a super fun game in my opinion, but I found the characters super flat and the ending unsatisfying. I got really into it for dozens of hours and I'm glad I played it, but I don't see myself ever returning to it.

If, like me, you were feeling bummed out by MGSV's story and characters, the best medicine is to play METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE (sic). God damn that game has style and character and fun with the metal gear universe and the first bossfight is a fucking metal gear ray and one of the collectIBLES ARE THE LEFT ARMS OF ENEMY COMMANDERS

It's a fucking rad game and maybe, maybe one day I'll be able to admit to myself it's the best metal gear game.

Hylian7

I agree on QoP, but there's a wide gulf between Quiet and virtually any other example. Said two examples are basically in their underwear, and for very similar reasons.

The difference being one is more "honest" for lack of a better word, about it than the other.

MGSV is a super fun game in my opinion, but I found the characters super flat and the ending unsatisfying. I got really into it for dozens of hours and I'm glad I played it, but I don't see myself ever returning to it.

If, like me, you were feeling bummed out by MGSV's story and characters, the best medicine is to play METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE (sic). God damn that game has style and character and fun with the metal gear universe and the first bossfight is a fucking metal gear ray and one of the collectIBLES ARE THE LEFT ARMS OF ENEMY COMMANDERS

It's a fucking rad game and maybe, maybe one day I'll be able to admit to myself it's the best metal gear game.

MGR is the only metal gear I like. I don't like how the others control

JC Sera

QoP is a succubus, who thrives of seducing people and inducing pain, her appearance helps towards her purpose
Quiet is a super elite soldier who can't even have proper binding for her tits at the vey least. It must be pretty painful having them constantly jiggle as she jumps off shit.

Why is it considered bad? I'm not too familiar with it. I've heard people say it was confusing, but I haven't heard about bad.

I just started mgs5 assuming it was the video game equivalent of a bond movie
I haven't bought MGS5 yet (waiting on a PC upgrade), but in general the writing in Metal Gear is interesting but I would never call it good. At its core it's basically a Japanese otaku's interpretation of 70s-80s American action movies, eventually pushed to absurd degrees of complexity because a publisher wouldn't stop making them. It's an interesting series because it makes a ton of decisions no other game would make, both story-wise and mechanically, because of what kind of game it is and who is making it. But after MGS4 I don't see why people would think Kojima's writing is legitimately good, or atleast good enough to warrant putting it on such a high pedestal.

The justifications for Quiet and for the Ground Zeroes Paz storyline feel like the "she's actually an 8000 year old dragon" arguments for sexualized anime lolis. Just because there's a reason for it in the lore doesn't make it okay.

Revengeance is absolutely the best MG game. It's a brilliant deconstruction of the entire franchise.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
if you think about it, defense of the ancients should actually be called offense of the ancients, because you don't win by defending your ancient you win by blowing up the enemy's ancient

inkls

if you think about it, defense of the ancients should actually be called offense of the ancients, because you don't win by defending your ancient you win by blowing up the enemy's ancient

its the ancients defending themselves from each other by sending heroes to kill the other.

Every time I attempt to play rubick I end up going like 2-9, no idea how to play this hero

It's kinda funny, I really enjoyed MGS 1 through 3 for the characters in spite of the gameplay and controls, MGSV is the exact opposite.

I understand why people like them cause they are dumb spy movies through the lens of a otaku which doesn't interest me that much

Russ T

Banned
I haven't bought MGS5 yet (waiting on a PC upgrade), but in general the writing in Metal Gear is interesting but I would never call it good. At its core it's basically a Japanese otaku's interpretation of 70s-80s American action movies, eventually pushed to absurd degrees of complexity because a publisher wouldn't stop making them. It's an interesting series because it makes a ton of decisions no other game would make, both story-wise and mechanically, because of what kind of game it is and who is making it. But after MGS4 I don't see why people would think Kojima's writing is legitimately good, or atleast good enough to warrant putting it on such a high pedestal.

The justifications for Quiet and for the Ground Zeroes Paz storyline feel like the "she's actually an 8000 year old dragon" arguments for sexualized anime lolis. Just because there's a reason for it in the lore doesn't make it okay.

Revengeance is absolutely the best MG game. It's a brilliant deconstruction of the entire franchise.

quiet's story would actually be mostly okay within the context of the metal gear solid story (barring a few specific scenes...) if she just WORE SOME FUCKING CLOTHES and didn't have PERVERT CAMERA MAN focusing on her tits and ass all the time

she's no queen of pain, tho

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
its the ancients defending themselves from each other by sending heroes to kill the other.

hmm wow unreasonable force much??? if they just sat at the other ends of the map and didn't send endless creep waves they'd both be fine forever!

Chris R

05CAhgT.png

I'm ded

kvk1

hmm wow unreasonable force much??? if they just sat at the other ends of the map and didn't send endless creep waves they'd both be fine forever!

because they're space rocks that hate each other ever since they crashed on the planet where dota happens

it's not about the creeps or the heroes

dota is the 6 shopkeepers working together to create a context for conflict, so that they can maintain/propagate their arms trafficking economy

Haly

Do nothing team doing nothing. What a surprise.

it's not about the creeps or the heroes

dota is the 6 shopkeepers working together to create a context for conflict, so that they can maintain/propagate their arms trafficking economy

"War has changed. It's no longer about nations, ideologies, or ethnicity. It's an endless series of proxy battles fought by mercenaries and machines. War - and its consumption of life - has become a well-oiled machine. War has changed."

The shopkeepers are the Patriots.

Traxex is the biggest offender of this in the dota verse, her outfit serves only one purpose and that is to accentuate her physical assets.

Anyways the Secret draft didn't seem to have any synergy at all, what did they had in that draft that could be used in conjunction with the siren song, other than the bananamancer? Besides that his poison sting can't even break TA refraction so IDK what were the casters talking about earlier.

Haly

Naga isn't even wearing a shirt.

For shame Volvo, for shame.

song_siren.gif

Haly

Chen into Lich and Ember OKAY Secret.

Okay.

Top Bottom