• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT12| A Safe Place For Your Sociopathic Behaviors.

manfestival

I can't even imagine EG even wanted to win this lan. What does it even mean? Their major invites are secure for the rest of the year. Like they're going to waste even marginal strats on this shitlan. Fuck team secret, they're worse now than they were last year. They're worse than any team any of its current players has ever played on.

I am honestly inclined to agree with this statement. Losing to secret at mlg? Doesn't exactly seem like the most important lans to win/lose at

Qvoth

Ut5opMD.png

props to fear for being cool about it

Pratfall

I can't even imagine EG even wanted to win this lan. What does it even mean? Their major invites are secure for the rest of the year. Like they're going to waste even marginal strats on this shitlan. Fuck team secret, they're worse now than they were last year. They're worse than any team any of its current players has ever played on.

I think I only like secret because of how much you dislike them.

Red UFO

I hope this a joke post, if not step outside an take a breather.

DrPizza

Banned
lol oh shit.

but tbqh, RTZ has struggled on really standing out on Ember in a long time. Or maybe Secret was just playing that will with raptor. Just felt like he got caught out so many times.

anyway, interesting series to watch. also interesting to see EG's chemistry slowly (SLOWLY) developing. Don't think they'll have it together enough to *win* Frankfurt, but the fact they could make it this far seemingly on raw talent alone speaks to how high their ceiling is. Just need to figure out how to get RTZ and SumaiL to complement each other better. Seems like having LeBron and Kobe on the same team.

I dunno, it looked to me like this game shows just how difficult it is to fit RTZ and Sumail into the same team. Sumail's a much better Ember Spirit, and didn't seem to get a whole lot done with Beastmaster. It felt not entirely dissimilar to the Sumail Axe at ESL, to be honest.

Typical, though, that after some fairly anonymous performances by Fear, I think he actually showed up with Visage.

Artanisix

BabyRage.png
Fraud.png

Qvoth

dayummmmmm

There was promise in EG's performance there though. Obviously they need to pull it back a bit, but Sumail had some great games on play making mids. Not bad for like their sixth game as a new roster.

EDIT: putting Artour on Ember feels very remeniccint of that time when they put Mason on Void though. If you have a world class player on a hero, don't give it to someone else.

There was promise in EG's performance there though. Obviously they need to pull it back a bit, but Sumail had some great games on play making mids. Not bad for like their sixth game as a new roster.

indeed. seems a strange venue to be experimenting, but it very much looked like they were experimenting even in the finals of a LAN. better to get the odd ball ideas out now than at Frankfurt, I suppose.

LOL
sad.gif
cry.gif
sad.gif
cry.gif

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
did rtz boughtback before he died to that disruptor ulti? i thought he had like less than 5 seconds remaining?
when he died again i saw he had no buyback, so that must've meant he did?

No, the gold he lost after dying simple made it so he couldn't buy back anymore. He didn't do any dieback stuff.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

i agree tbh, it's obvious that EG treated MLG as a bunch of cute scrims against some lesser teams and they were pushing to see how far they could take it and still coast by. 'can we win with rtz ember?' 'can we win with sumail deliberately trying to throw as beastmaster?'. the answer is that they can very nearly beat secret who are obviously extremely thirsty for a win and clearly practiced extremely hard. frankfurt will be easy for EG.

Shinypogs

Disruptor ulti turned so many teamfights. Though I'm pleased with Secret winning I actually felt bad for Universe a couple times when he'd get caught on the edge of it, and then snagged by Lina's Euls before he could surge to escape or actually get into the fight. Still he had a fair share of impressive plays that just weren't enough to haul the rest of the team to victory.

I'm also deeply pleased this finals featured a Nyx Assasin, I was wondering where the hell that hero went and why he;d seemed to have fallen out of favour.

crazy.gif

DrPizza

Banned

The entire theory of "hiding strats" is a load of nonsense.

And the invites being secure is, in my view, working against EG. They've reshuffled their team in quite a major way, and yet they're not actually playing a whole hell of a lot. They're not in many tournaments, and those that they are in are normally invited, so they don't have to play through qualifiers, they can just rock up to the LAN portion.

Result? They still don't look like a coherent, well-balanced team. It looks like they need to spend a hell of a lot more time playing together and drafting for the new line-up.

And the invites being secure is, in my view, working against EG. They've reshuffled their team in quite a major way, and yet they're not actually playing a whole hell of a lot. They're not in many tournaments, and those that they are in are normally invited, so they don't have to play through qualifiers, they can just rock up to the LAN portion.

Result? They still don't look like a coherent, well-balanced team. It looks like they need to spend a hell of a lot more time playing together and drafting for the new line-up.

They could even use a round of regional stomping against NA Dota riff raff, a la the SADBOYS formation.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Keep wishing Universe was on a better team somehow. He's probably got Sumail's neck pillow strapped around his lower back.

note: they didn't look like a coherent team and almost won yet another LAN, against some of the best teams in the world. that actually looked practiced. that actually looked coherent.

they took second place over a long list of brand-name teams, many of which have not seen significant roster changes. Remember EG changed their 1, 2 and 4 positions in a single pass. They managed 2nd off the sheer strength of higher individual skill and occasional flashes of teamwork. imagine when we see *good* teamwork consistently from them.

Save your concern and worry for them; their ceiling has never been higher. It's simply a matter of figuring out the style and hero comps that synergize well with their players.

Keep wishing Universe was on a better team somehow.

lol.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
note: they didn't look like a coherent team and almost won yet another LAN, against some of the best teams in the world. that actually looked practiced. that actually looked coherent.

they took second place over a long list of brand-name teams, many of which have not seen significant roster changes. Remember EG changed their 1, 2 and 4 positions in a single pass. They managed 2nd off the sheer strength of higher individual skill and occasional flashes of teamwork. imagine when we see *good* teamwork consistently from them.

Save your concern and worry for them; their ceiling has never been higher. It's simply a matter of figuring out the style and hero comps that synergize well with their players.
tbf it's not a guarantee that we'll ever see that. some teams just don't work.

Qvoth

i was thinking, perhaps it could've been better if eg went earthshaker AA again instead of ds AA
i only watched the last 10-15 minutes, i don't think eg managed to do any huge vacuum into blast?

tbf it's not a guarantee that we'll ever see that. some teams just don't work.

there's no reason to assume we're at that point, now is there? the ceiling is high and even playing poorly they're good for a top 3 finish. find some synergy and you probably can't beat them at all. that's the bottom line right now. that's the reality. took second with nowhere to go but up.

DrPizza

Banned
Individual talent will get you a long way. Old Secret had plenty of individual talent, too. They still didn't win TI5.

But there's no guarantee that we ever will.

And yet they seem to be unwilling to play the games it'd take to actually figure that out.

Lol

Individual talent will get you a long way. Old Secret had plenty of individual talent, too. They still didn't win TI5.
There were 15 other teams that also didn't win TI. Not sure what your point is. They need more work and we're all aware of that. Stop stating the very obvious. If you're that eager to label them the new Secret 2 months removed from a TI5 win, I'm eager to laugh at you.

But there's no guarantee that we ever will.
Nothing is guaranteed in life. Your point?

And yet they seem to be unwilling to play the games it'd take to actually figure that out.
I don't know what they're willing or unwilling to do. I'm not really interested in speculation. We'll see what they do leading up to Frankfurt. They're 2 months removed from winning millions of dollars. They earned a break. No reason to assume they can't put the hard hats back on and get themselves ready for a Major/TI6 run.

eg got a goddamn 2nd place, it's not the end of the world
they're still probably top 2-3 teams in the world

some of these monkeys would lead you to believe that 2nd place against some of the best teams in the world is akin to the end. give them some time to get rid of the rust and get some more time "bootcamping" in. let's see how they look then and go from there.

Hylian7

I'm still not a fan of EG kicking Aui, and think the quality of the team might of suffered at least a little bit, but clearly they are still very strong, even though they didn't beat Secret in this tournament.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
there's no reason to assume we're at that point, now is there? the ceiling is high and even playing poorly they're good for a top 3 finish. find some synergy and you probably can't beat them at all. that's the bottom line right now. that's the reality. took second with nowhere to go but up.

yeah of course, it's not long enough yet to say they can't find their groove

Satch

Banned
once they reign in rtz&sumail yolo, eg will be unstoppable

i dont think EG can afford to have that much yolo against top teams and it not go unpunished, like when sumail ember dove into base and got shackled by windrunner, and when rtz TA tried that optimistic TP against slardar buyback and got crushed.

against less disciplined teams that stuff might have gone unanswered, but puppeys too forward thinking of a captain to let those mistakes go. i think EG will figure it out with time though

once they reign in rtz&sumail yolo, eg will be unstoppable

i dont think EG can afford to have that much yolo against top teams and it not go unpunished, like when sumail ember dove into base and got shackled by windrunner, and when rtz TA tried that optimistic TP against slardar buyback and got crushed.

against less disciplined teams that stuff might have gone unanswered, but puppeys too forward thinking of a captain to let those mistakes go. i think EG will figure it out with time though

yea they were both hella yolo on Ember. I hope they bring back SumaiL's Storm and Tinker in particular. Both are a bit more consistent and reliable. Along with the usual meta mids, ofc.

rtz's ember play on his stream is usually pretty legit, but I think for that game he was way too aggressive and tried to do way too much. It's a really big contrast to aggressif who played super conservatively with ember and usually came in just to clean up and chase, or sumail who seemed way more clutch mechanically on the hero. I think the meme is hyperbole, and I don't know if sumail playing ember would've salvaged that game. Honestly even with EE-level ember throws, rtz could've done well if he just did EE-levels of selfish farming while his team fought.

Saying EG didn't try to win is lol, though. Why give up free money when you're so close even after playing like garbage for a whole weekend? They just didn't look like they practiced that much together, which might not be a good sign since majors are so close.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
i was thinking, perhaps it could've been better if eg went earthshaker AA again instead of ds AA
i only watched the last 10-15 minutes, i don't think eg managed to do any huge vacuum into blast?

No, DS/AA is what kept them in the the game so long, it was beautiful. I think its the Beast Master pick that sunk them, he wasn't able to accomplish much.

No, DS/AA is what kept them in the the game so long, it was beautiful. I think its the Beast Master pick that sunk them, he wasn't able to accomplish much.

i think the inability to stop the pickoff deaths is what really did them in. along with not enough disables. lina was free to execute the target of her choosing early and often because BM had the only reliable cc on the team.

DrPizza

Banned

Yeah, they had a ton of good short-rage AA ice blasts, which wouldn't have happened without the vac-walls. The Beastmaster pick really didn't seem to do a whole lot. I don't even see what it was meant to do. Secret's draft didn't really have any super-slippery heroes that needed that kind of lockdown. I guess they were just looking for a reliable stun that Sumail could play.

--------------

Ban animu. http://www.twitter.com/JewyMarie/status/655964720227225602

Top Bottom