• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT12| A Safe Place For Your Sociopathic Behaviors.

Wok

I am going to build every hero like an Alchemist-Naga whenever the game is going to be long and there are already supports.

cZdhmk8.png

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1912476023

This is the best way to make sure I can carry my "hey-let-us-farm-40-min" pubs with Earth Spirit.

The Octarine is so good to chase. Rolling all day.

Also Blademail is core against WR's ultimate.

I have tried Battlefury as well, it allows to farm stacked ancients and get a really quick agha after that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Touhou is a doujin (fan/unofficial/indie) SHMUP game series that's wildly popular in Japan for reasons beyond my imagining.

G.ZZZ

I honestly heard of it a lot of times but i never understood what it actually was, aside from having magical girls

DZtLeiS.gif

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
are you a real person?

Can I ask how old you are?

In my 30s. People trying to act like Bethesda games are shit. They have a ton of jank in them and are very unpolished but the breadth of experiences they provide is amazing and unlike anything else in gaming. I don't think it's crazytalk to say Skyrim and Fallout 3 were great games. Everybody loved them and neither of them were even close to being technical showpieces. I don't know why anybody would expect Fallout 4 to look like [current best looking game on market] when that's never ever been their goal. People who pick apart screenshots to look for jaggies or who care about minor objects inconsequentially clipping thru other objects in a massive open world game can sit and spin. If you want a game to be a technical marvel enjoy whatever Naughty Dog shits out next to walk in a straight line and have a story recited to you. Don't even look at Fallout, it's not for you.

Linear games are the best games though. Why spread your budget, attention and inspiration thin on a large world when you can instead focus all of that on a limited number of areas. I don't want open world filler, give me the purest, most hand-crafted shit you got.

That, and having to account for the player being able to approach from any direction is so hard to combine with interesting level and encounter design.

What do you care, it's not like you even play any more

Excuse you, I played 3 matches today.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Linear games are the best games though. Why spread your budget, attention and inspiration thin on a large world when you can instead focus all of that on a limited number of areas. I don't want open world filler, give me the purest shit you got.

That, and having to account for the player being able to approach from any direction is so hard to combine with interesting level and encounter design.

It's fine to hold this opinion. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just disagree wholly. Having a game that 100% of the people playing it are going to experience the same way seems like a waste of it even being a video game. Just make a movie or go sit on a ride at Disneyland. I'd rather have a less refined experience that can unfold in a multitude of ways.

It's fine to hold this opinion. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just disagree wholly. Having a game that 100% of the people playing it are going to experience the same way seems like a waste of it even being a video game. Just make a movie or go sit on a ride at Disneyland. I'd rather have a less refined experience that can unfold in a multitude of ways.

I'm not sure if I follow the bolded. Games are different from movies because they are interactive. A linear game still is interactive.

For example, I played through METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE (sic) again last month and that game is fucking rad, partially in ways that only games can be. It's 100%, go-straight-ahead-to-creditsville linear, but doesn't mean it doesn't ask for input and creativity from the player. It's incomparable to watching a movie or any other passive experience, whether the game allows you to make significant story decisions or not.

kionedrik

The best way to do things is like Deus Ex did it. (the original, not the washed down attempt at a sequel we got some year ago).

The story and progression is linear so the programmer controls the entry and exit points of the "level" and the writer can present the story within the boundaries that you can reach in that level, however how you get from the entry to the exit points is entirely up to you.

So in a way instead of one big world were you are free to go anywhere and do whatever you feel like, you get a linear succession of smaller worlds where you're free to do as you please without compromising the story presentation.

Russ T

Banned
I'm not sure if I follow the bolded. Games are different from movies because they are interactive. A linear game still is interactive.

i think he forgot that games have gameplay when he made that post

In my 30s. People trying to act like Bethesda games are shit. They have a ton of jank in them and are very unpolished but the breadth of experiences they provide is amazing and unlike anything else in gaming. I don't think it's crazytalk to say Skyrim and Fallout 3 were great games. Everybody loved them and neither of them were even close to being technical showpieces. I don't know why anybody would expect Fallout 4 to look like [current best looking game on market] when that's never ever been their goal. People who pick apart screenshots to look for jaggies or who care about minor objects inconsequentially clipping thru other objects in a massive open world game can sit and spin. If you want a game to be a technical marvel enjoy whatever Naughty Dog shits out next to walk in a straight line and have a story recited to you. Don't even look at Fallout, it's not for you.

Yo, I can totally understand being annoyed at intense gamer criticism. It drives me fuckin' bonkers, too. Everybody expects perfection, and when a developer or game is less than perfect, people overreact and it's goddamn insane. The gaming community is collectively a spoiled brat.

But your post literally said "literally" in reference to Bethesda's games being the best video games. "Bethesda is developing literally the best video games on the market right now."

Chill.

I think Bethesda games are boring, I played FO3 recently, well tried to, and couldn't get over the fact that my actions had no consequences in the world beyond a minor change in text. Like after getting through the absolutely dreadful intro, I explored a schoolhouse full of bandits, found nothing of worth or interest, made my way to Megaton, tried to help out the sheriff and watched as some guy murdered him. And then nobody cared? The text changed from "we have a great sheriff" to "we had a great sheriff". The sheriff's kid went "my dad told me to give you this reward if he died" and that's it. Boring! That's when I quit.

But I also know plenty of people think my favorite games are boring. Everybody got their own 'pinions, y'know.

Now everyone shit-talk No Man's Sky so I can be the angry one.

I rather play a 100 linear story driven games like SOMA then play anything bethseda is putting out.
But I liked Doosex HR

Human revolution is a fantastic game. It's just that the writing is piss poor and the boss fights are god awful.

LiQuid!

I think Bethesda games are boring, I played FO3 recently, well tried to, and couldn't get over the fact that my actions had no consequences in the world beyond a minor change in text. Like after getting through the absolutely dreadful intro, I explored a schoolhouse full of bandits, found nothing of worth or interest, made my way to Megaton, tried to help out the sheriff and watched as some guy murdered him. And then nobody cared? The text changed from "we have a great sheriff" to "we had a great sheriff". The sheriff's kid went "my dad told me to give you this reward if he died" and that's it. Boring! That's when I quit.

Well I can't help it you didn't play long enough to find the quest where you turn Megaton into a crater

Russ T

Banned
i did

that was the quest

where the sheriff died

because i had chosen not to???

(now im wondering if you ever played fo3)

The original Deus Ex didn't age that well and to make a modern sequel to it meant a lot of jank had to be streamlined, but HR did feel a bit like it threw out the baby with the bathwater in that regard.

LiQuid!

i did

that was the quest

where the sheriff died

because i had chosen not to???

(now im wondering if you ever played fo3)

I mean, I played it in 2008 when it came out. I thought that quest started in Tenpenny Tower, which is a lot farther away than the school and Megaton itself. You really didn't played very much of the game having only seen those 2 locations.

JC Sera

while we we're still on the topic of not dota,
a new wave of overwatch beta invites has gone out if you opted in maybe take a minute to check your account :)

Russ T

Banned
I mean, I played it in 2008 when it came out. I thought that quest started in Tenpenny Tower, which is a lot farther away than the school and Megaton itself. You really didn't played very much of the game having only seen those 2 locations.

yeah i'm aware because the game was so boring it drove me off after only a few hours

this is something very very few games manage to do

Kade

My issue with Fallout 3 and Bethesda games in general is that a lot of moral choices are relegated to Big Red Buttons and whether you press them or not. Megaton bomb, Tenpenny basement ghouls, How you deal with The Family, shit like that. The most obvious black and white moral choices. The game's idea of being good is to not act at all which is boring as hell.

Hylian7

Tenpenny basement ghouls.

I want to single out this one because of how dumb it was.

I'm sure you've all seen that image floating around the internet (I can't find it right now):
You talk the Tenpenny tower people into letting the ghouls in, then come back later and find out the ghouls killed all the regular people and put their bodies in the basement, then you lose karma for killing the ghoul leader.

Auteezy

Banned
so you're saying that an empowered Mag with bfury, AC and Daed that RP's 2 or 3 targets, or perhaps more, can't kill them all in the same time WR only manages to kill 1?

im saying wr can solo kill anybody and burst out a few thousand damage in seconds, on a short cooldown via a pickoff and within a teamfight. Magnus needs to fit a special circumstance to put out his aoe damage, as you said a 2 or 3 man rp. He is not going around the map with a stun/burst combo on a 30second cooldown liek windranger is.

Auteezy

Banned
the higher ur dota mmr the lower your chances

mfw games were actually better before public beta tests and filled with quirks that improved gameplay

mfw blizzard will never replicate broodwar success in a genre it defined because most of what made it great was mistakes

Sad Dayzzz

Top Bottom