• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT12| A Safe Place For Your Sociopathic Behaviors.

shira

OP fixes.

- 6th linked GIF now properly links to the correct epic fight.
- Anuxi's name properly spelled in the Economy section
- China country abbreviation corrected
- Added Workshop link
- Added Anuxi's Workshop
- Added Bounch's Workshop

thanks for the help guys.
OP patchnotes :kreygasm:

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This game is dumb
jAB7Cqy.png

Hour and a fucking half of attrition because they got all the rax down but couldn't fucking finish and we couldn't counterpush a lane before they respawned

manfestival

OP fixes.

- 6th linked GIF now properly links to the correct epic fight.
- Anuxi's name properly spelled in the Economy section
- China country abbreviation corrected
- Added Workshop link
- Added Anuxi's Workshop
- Added Bounch's Workshop

thanks for the help guys.

been waiting for that bounch workshop to be added for forever
chaos-four.gif

shira

Yo Satch, did you see the moon, this is so fucking cool.

Our whole neighborhood is camped out on the front lawn or back decks

pV6BOII.gif

pompidu

The duration of the death-triggered requiem debuff is really obnoxious considering how big the aoe is.

He's an mmr climber if ya spend 10 mins praticing shadow euls ulti combo. 2880 dmg lvl 16 lol.

I'm really shocked that he's not running rampant in pubs since he can insta kill every hero at lvl16.

I don't ever play him but I might spam him now.

Does anybody have any tips to improving my pentagram? Thanks in advance!

BZ5qrKq.png

pure conjecture:

"pushing" is calculated mostly if not entirely by the amount of tower damage you deal in your last 20 games, either in total or average.

"fighting" is calculated mostly if not entirely by the amount of hero damage you did in your last 20 matches relative to everyone else in your matches.

"farming" is related to either CS count (total) or gpm over the last 20 matches.

"versatility" is probably the range of heroes you picked over your last 20 matches.

"supporting" is probably related to the amount of key support items you purchase. couriers and wards over the last 20 matches.

Hylian7

How do you tell a League player that denying is not necessarily a bad thing?

Because it makes laning less static where there is actually competition for farm in the lane (assuming a solo lane or where only the carry is CSing). You are trying to prevent the other team's hero from getting big by preventing them from getting last hits by denying.

On top of that, we consider another form of "deny" would be something like pulling creep camps, denying waves of experience to an offlaner.

Let's say for some reason, you are Skywrath Mage mid vs Faceless Void mid (just go with me on this one). Void has a shitload more base damage than Skywrath, so Skywrath is going to have a hard time last hitting with his auto attack. The fact that Void can deny him so easily, means that Skywrath is going to have to spend mana on Arcane Bolt to secure last hits. Now this puts Void at a slight advantage because that's less mana to use on him.

Auteezy

Banned
Because it makes laning less static where there is actually competition for farm in the lane (assuming a solo lane or where only the carry is CSing). You are trying to prevent the other team's hero from getting big by preventing them from getting last hits by denying.

On top of that, we consider another form of "deny" would be something like pulling creep camps, denying waves of experience to an offlaner.

Let's say for some reason, you are Skywrath Mage mid vs Faceless Void mid (just go with me on this one). Void has a shitload more base damage than Skywrath, so Skywrath is going to have a hard time last hitting with his auto attack. The fact that Void can deny him so easily, means that Skywrath is going to have to spend mana on Arcane Bolt to secure last hits. Now this puts Void at a slight advantage because that's less mana to use on him.

I'm sure preventing xp is also part of denying. Also the pseudo-deny especially vs an SF can be pretty integral to doing well in your lane as well. Another nuance of denying is when to single hit deny or double hit to keep the lane static and not push too far into your tower or force you to burn a tango, but I'm sure Hylian can elaborate if he so chooses as he seems to be the preeminent poster on dota mechanics in these threads.

Honestly if denying was in League it would probably be a worse game. I like the mechanic but league is all about fighting, so making early CSing that much more complicated just reduces the amount of time you can devote to punching the enemy in the face

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Honestly if denying was in League it would probably be a worse game. I like the mechanic but league is all about fighting, so making early CSing that much more complicated just reduces the amount of time you can devote to punching the enemy in the face

league is about fighting but the games all end with scores like 6 - 11 ?

Kade

All the Medusas in this bracket love to play PvE Dota. Just puttin on the latest Joe Rogan podcast, chilling with a nice craft and a vape filled with that hot new e-juice your coworkers at the local car bumper manufacturing plant are raving about and farming creeps for an hour while your fed up wife and teammates yell at you then win anyways.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1825728215

JC Sera

as a support its just really satisfying
like its does the same "click" as farming but you are fucking over the other guy too

however I don't know if a LoL player could get that without the audio cue? Like farming in dota at least gives you the audio cue for "click", but denying only occasionally plays a line

Hylian7

That makes no sense at all. Denying would make the game less boring and more competitive. It boggles my mind that LoL players actually think denying is somehow a bad thing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Depends on why they think it's bad.

If you're a perfect denier, you can reduce the other side's active gold gain to 0 and exp growth to 50%.

It's a contest of skill for significant rewards. While spell spamming is mechanically interesting, every instance of it is relatively ineffectual compared to a single deny. League hates letting players be suppressed from items or levels or activity because their philosophy mandates that these things be prioritized above all else. This is why HP and Regen are handed out like candy on Halloween while CC is grudgingly given.

If you only want to exhibit your skill in the most effective way available, denying is good.
If you only care about the "experience" of doing things, denying is bad.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
He's not technically wrong. Some people enjoy complex systems; others don't.

Some people like Europa Universalis; others like Farmville.

Joking aside, you need a certain amount of complexity to achieve "depth". League just draws the line much earlier than Dota does.

Best warlock NA reporting in.

elAjYWW.png

Carrying my team in 10 v 10 even with a troll AM feeding 3 rapiers, he was so mad when we won lol.

Love warlock so much, here is hoping for some buffs in the next patch.
smile.gif

DrPizza

Banned
Fuck I love playing as Viper.

Corrosive skin not going through BKB is a shame but the extra agi probably makes up for it.

Hylian7

"It adds complexity for the sake of complexity". Direct quote.

If a LoL developer actually said this....rofl. They are such a joke.

He's not technically wrong. Some people enjoy complex systems; others don't.

Some people like Europa Universalis; others like Farmville.

Joking aside, you need a certain amount of complexity to achieve "depth". League just draws the line much earlier than Dota does.

I disagree. LoL has a ton of half-baked ideas (Heroes of the Storm is even more guilty of this too) this. The biggest example is that you have summoned units in LoL, but the way to control them is so weird, and all you can really do is move and attack things. None of them have spells, they can't be selected. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't there a guy with little turrets he puts down similar to Veno wards? If I'm not mistaken, you can't even choose what those attack. That's a most basic functionality that should definitely be available, yet it's not. Even more ridiculous is their defense of not having any kind of "sandbox" mode (the Demo we have in Reborn, or just making your own custom lobby with cheats on and testing shit). They just make the more finer options unavailable just because they think it "ruins fun" or something, like they think everything in their game has to be for simpletons, and allowing actual deep and fun mechanics will make it inaccessible or something.

Heroes of the Storm is even more guilty of this, Abathur being the poster child for it. You can use the head parasite thing (I forget what it's called), yet you can't even move the camera away from whoever you have it on! It's basically rubberbanded in that area! That's ridiculously stupid and shortsighted of them to do that, babies aren't playing the game.

Hylian7

i'm just going to make a new account...

What's the point? Smurf detection will kick in and put you close to the skill level you belong at. I honestly have never understood the point of smurfing, unless you either blatantly or subtly throw games to keep yourself at a certain MMR, you're going to get back to where you belong. It's not like at some point your account becomes "unsalvagable", you can gain MMR back. I've been on a bad losing streak and fallen below 3k once, now I'm 4.1k.

Hylian7

Leagues depth is in the form of skill shots, there are tons of them with unique movement patterns

Dota has that too. Probably not as many as LoL, but saying that arbitrarily drawing a line like that saying "They don't want to make it too complicated" when it restricts the player from what they actually could be doing is not logical at all.

For instance, if you could do simple things as controlling summoned units properly (without some weird thing like holding shift and clicking to move them, I'm talking selecting them WC3/Dota 2 style), it could open up a ton of possibilities in the game. Riot instead settles for mediocrity, and it's players continue to eat up it's mediocrity. It's utterly disgusting to see.

The way you can't click on other heroes and the way spells scale in HotS drove me back to Dota so fast. In theory it's supposed to make things simple I guess, but instead I just never had a good sense of how strong or weak a character was so I couldn't really ever make a decision and feel like it was the best one.

I dunno about the deny thing, it's great in Dota, but if LoL is about throwing out a bunch of spells all the time like some HotS characters, I can see it being a bit distracting from what they consider the core of their game.

Hylian7

The way you can't click on other heroes and the way spells scale in HotS drove me back to Dota so fast. In theory it's supposed to make things simple I guess, but instead I just never had a good sense of how strong or weak a character was so I couldn't really ever make a decision and feel like it was the best one.

I dunno about the deny thing, it's great in Dota, but if LoL is about throwing out a bunch of spells all the time like some HotS characters, I can see it being a bit distracting from what they consider the core of their game.

Yeah, the thing in HotS was really dumb since there are no items, and you can't tell which skills/abilities/trees/whatever they took so you don't really know what to expect. The only real indicator you have is the teams all being the same level at the same time (which is the most boneheaded decision about HotS) and you know that generally if the other team is higher level you can expect to be fighting an uphill battle.

Denies would only improve LoL. I mean in Dota, on some heroes we throw out spells somewhat frequently (QoP dagger, Skywrath bolt, Storm Remnant, Lina Dragon Slave, etc.) and we still have denying. The game isn't too complicated and Riot just believes it's players are too stupid to comprehend denying so they always bend over backwards to defend it not being in. Every time a criticism like that is leveled at LoL, either Riot as a whole or one Riot employee (usually on their forums) comes up with the most bass ackwards nonsensical way to defend whatever it is. A prime example of this is the "sandbox" thing, which makes no goddamn sense at all. This has been done a ton of other times, such as the infamous one about Bloodseeker's Rupture and having something like that in LoL and calling it an "anti-fun" mechanic. It's always hilarious every time they have some defense like that and act like their fanbase are complete idiots.

Top Bottom