• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT12| A Safe Place For Your Sociopathic Behaviors.

Hylian7

No, I know some LoL devs and they didn't say that. This is just a player.

Fair enough, I'm sure he was one of those people that calls things "artificial difficulty" too.

Protip: Don't mash the 10 second skip button through the draft in replays in Reborn, crashes your game if you do it too much when it loads the heroes in the game.

Atlantis

All the Medusas in this bracket love to play PvE Dota. Just puttin on the latest Joe Rogan podcast, chilling with a nice craft and a vape filled with that hot new e-juice your coworkers at the local car bumper manufacturing plant are raving about and farming creeps for an hour while your fed up wife and teammates yell at you then win anyways.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1825728215

People love building zero damage on that hero and wondering why it does fuck all.

People love building zero damage on that hero and wondering why it does fuck all.
Strictly speaking, Medusa rarely builds a straight up damage item before 30 minutes. Closest thing you should ever see to a damage item on Dusa before 25 minutes should be a maelstrom. And really, that's a farming/wave clear item for her more than anything else.

It's simply how she is meant to be played.

Example: http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1825918930

You have to be really disciplined with your farming patterns and lane pushing, but yea. if you play her wrong or if your team can't buy you necessary space, a match may become difficult and you can become under-itemized.

Hylian7

I have a feeling this is about to turn into another Manta Medusa argument. Many people don't realize about that hero how she carries: She has a shield that makes her last much longer than any other hero with similar stats and skills would. Because of this, she outputs damage by staying alive and putting out consistent damage. Should you get damage items after you get things like Linkens? Absolutely! But the build there isn't terrible. I think she should have gone for MKB instead of Skadi. Skadi and Manta is good though because you get the Split Shot on the illusions. You kill the creeps, summoned units, everything around you this way, and the real Medusa is living longer.

A lot of people misunderstand Medusa. You don't build her as a glass cannon, you want a balance between tankiness (Stats, mana regen through Linkens) and damage. Stone Gaze really helps her do what she does best, even if the other team doesn't face her. If they do face her, then that's a free damage boost, plus the Pure damage you get off of Mystic Snake, which makes her more useful in the early-mid game. Above all, don't underestimate Mana Shield, you should max it second, it really is no joke.

S&Y, MKB, and Rapier are all great on her. Medusa is one of the few heroes I would say "Definitely get a Rapier" as her last item. Usually in most games Rapiers don't start coming up until you are just like "I've got all this money and nowhere to spend it and this game needs to end!" I'd argue Medusa, Gyrocopter, and Ember Spirit are three heroes in the game that benefit from a Rapier more than anyone.

iamblades

When you build tanky and have lots of tools to disengage teamfights, yeah. Some teams are more scrappy than others, but the game is pretty clearly designed to be more fighting oriented than dota.

You mean more poke oriented, but there are very few actual teamfights in league games that I've seen, and almost no small scale skirmishes that actually result in kills. League is all about battles of attrition and winning through sheer efficiency.

He's not technically wrong. Some people enjoy complex systems; others don't.

Some people like Europa Universalis; others like Farmville.

Joking aside, you need a certain amount of complexity to achieve "depth". League just draws the line much earlier than Dota does.

But if you want to talk complex systems, look at the itemization systems in league WRT AD/AP ratios, or ArPen vs armor reduction, you need a goddamn spreadsheet to figure that shit out, and they say int/agi/str is complicated. Luckily in league the meta is so stagnant that you only need one person to work out the math for each role and then everyone uses the same build every game, but that's not the same thing as simplicity, the systems are still complex, they are just so shallow that the 'correct' answer is readily apparent.

IMO Dota has relatively few things that can be considered in that category(some of the oddness around damage types and UAMs comes to mind, but those are going away bit by bit). There are obscure and complex systems to be sure, but they all add depth. Denying, stacking, multiple unit control, etc. all add 'complexity', but they also allow for great strategic depth, unlike the league itemization system, which adds complexity without substantially increasing depth.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Noob Q number 2:

So I randomed Sand King just now and was trying to figure out the best way to use his ulti.

Do i channel it then once its done then butrow strike then darude? Or should i have done something else.

Noob Q number 2:

So I randomed Sand King just now and was trying to figure out the best way to use his ulti.

Do i channel it then once its done then butrow strike then darude? Or should i have done something else.

depends who you are up against. if you can, ie no stuns or they just used it, you can burrow and ulti.

some ulti, blink in then burrow.

Hylian7

Noob Q number 2:

Basically, before you have Blink, you want to stun as many people as you possibly can with one stun, and immediatly ulti.

After you get Blink Dagger, the process changes a bit. You start your ultimate out of sight of the enemy, but within Blink range. While the ultimate is channeling, you use something called Shift Queueing, a concept that's been around in RTS's for a long time, and works just like that in Dota 2. During the channel, hit the key for your Blink Dagger, hold shift and while holding it click where you want to Blink to (into the enemies of course). If you did that correctly, what will happen is you will immediately Blink into the enemies and get all of the damage on them, with you able to do the channeling part out of the way with no risk of getting it interrupted. Remember, if your channel gets interrupted or you stop it, your ultimate goes on cooldown and you lose the mana for it.

And then of course follow up with Burrowstrike and attacking, using other items, or Sandstorm.

Hylian7

I really don't understand the change with Salves. Clarifies, and Mangos. No one really complained about the old system, there was never a problem like when ward splitting was introduced where people would accidentally give them to teammates instead of placing them. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

At first I thought the answer might be consistency with wards, but even that doesn't make sense because Urn and Tango were not changed. Not only that but any kind of healing or restoring spell isn't changed either.

Players that had "Double Tap Ability Self Cast" on would just double tap the item for themselves, click it like any other spell for allies. Those with double tap off had no problem either clicking their own hero or the portrait.

Every single game I have played in 6.85, someone has always made the mistake of wasting regen on themselves when they were trying to give it to someone else. Many didn't know about the change and were like "wtf is this a bug?" and many knew but just forgot after having the old method ingrained for so many years.

Who exactly does this change benefit? Does anyone in this thread actually prefer the change? Why couldn't this just be a check box on the settings? With all the other options that are available, it is really bizarre that this is one they force on all players.

G.ZZZ

I wanted to write a post about some of the biggest mistakes 4ks do compared to 5ks when i play, but it's too long and time consuming. Just gonna feed brb.

Acinixys

I really don't understand the change with Salves. Clarifies, and Mangos. No one really complained about the old system, there was never a problem like when ward splitting was introduced where people would accidentally give them to teammates instead of placing them. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

At first I thought the answer might be consistency with wards, but even that doesn't make sense because Urn and Tango were not changed. Not only that but any kind of healing or restoring spell isn't changed either.

Players that had "Double Tap Ability Self Cast" on would just double tap the item for themselves, click it like any other spell for allies. Those with double tap off had no problem either clicking their own hero or the portrait.

Every single game I have played in 6.85, someone has always made the mistake of wasting regen on themselves when they were trying to give it to someone else. Many didn't know about the change and were like "wtf is this a bug?" and many knew but just forgot after having the old method ingrained for so many years.

Who exactly does this change benefit? Does anyone in this thread actually prefer the change? Why couldn't this just be a check box on the settings? With all the other options that are available, it is really bizarre that this is one they force on all players.

Did they make it so you have to alt click to salve someone?

Thats fucking retarded

I was wondering why I salved myself and not a teammate yesterday

I really hope they revert that change. Its so unnecessary
rage.gif

kionedrik

I wanted to write a post about some of the biggest mistakes 4ks do compared to 5ks when i play, but it's too long and time consuming. Just gonna feed brb.

Can't all of your hypothetical post be summed up as "Decision Making"?
Discarding any player's mechanical impairment and/or lack of game knowledge ofc.

shira

post it on reddit you silly goose

those clapburgers will give you like 10.000.000 karma points

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I wish they'd change the match found sound to something that doesn't scare the hell ou t of me every time.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
dude I was watching the highlight plays and going yeah I remember this being played, I remember watching this... Then I get to the last one and I was like I REMEMBER PLAYING THIS! hahahaha gosh dem 250+ ping games were so fun.

Good times.

Top Bottom